InstallFest Fall '09

V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton
Eric, I'm not sure why that is happening, as far as I know /usr/sbin is linked statically to root. As far as I can tell(and from what I understand) the sbin file are complete and do not need dynamic linking to lib file that are in bin file, therefore start earlier in the boot process and can be used in single user mode. From what I gather, this follows the fs standards(but then again,,I think it depends on the distro's view of the standards). Also believe that because of Mandriva's Enterprise backbone, uprm tools may have been placed in the usr/sbin to further protect the standard user from messing up.Not saying it's bad or good..just that I understand the how and of it...Then again urpm is a mandriva tool and doesn't have a "standard" home outside of Mandriva.But for what it's worth I use urpmi/urpme from a terminal all the time, without typing direct path(unless I am missing your meaning)
I dunno either, Barry. Next time I boot into Mandriva, I'll re-check this stuff... just to confirm that I'm nuts or not. :yes:
Eric is going to be sooooo jealous! ;)
scaredy-cat_gentoo.png

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• V.T. Eric Layton

• securitybreach

• sunrat

• kamicota

Eric is going to be sooooo jealous! :yes:
You know, I'm starting to figure this out.1. Eric is known nationally as a Torvalds-like Linux guru.2. Eric's one foray into Gentoo led to reformatting.3. My one foray into Gentoo led to reformatting.Conclusion: I'm as smart as Torvalds. Rock 'n roll!

V.T. Eric Layton
:yes: I love that picture!!!
It makes the point, don't it? HAHA! ;)
You know, I'm starting to figure this out.1. Eric is known nationally as a Torvalds-like Linux guru.2. Eric's one foray into Gentoo led to reformatting.3. My one foray into Gentoo led to reformatting.Conclusion: I'm as smart as Torvalds. Rock 'n roll!
I LIKE your logic, pal! :yes:

V.T. Eric Layton

Barry, I'm in Mandriva now. Check this out...

root_Mandriva~:# $PATHbash: /usr/local/bin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/games:/usr/lib/qt4/bin:/home/vtel57/bin: No such file or directory

There ain't no /usr/sbin in there anywhere. Strange, huh?

V.T. Eric Layton

VERY interesting, Urmas! :w00t:That must be a Mandriva thing because I've never had that issue in any other distro I've used. COOL find, though. Thanks. I'll stick with the sym-links, though... I'm lazy and it's easier than remembering to type that "-" after "su" all the time. :yes:

Woo-hoo!I'm lucky again. Today I try my luck with gentoo on my production PC and it works like a charm. Basically it's quite like slackware. Retracing the steps I used, think those that you must pay very close attention are:- Mounting the right partitions to match your planning partition scheme. - Kernel configuration must include drivers, at least for your HDDs. This one is quite like in the initrd.readme from slackware installation dvd.- Pay good attention to your grub.conf and /etc/fstab.Woo-hoo! I really am a lucky person.