• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• V.T. Eric Layton

• securitybreach

• sunrat

• kamicota

securitybreach
And no, SB... Arch is something more than just an experiment now. I will always have Arch on my system from now on. The main purpose for me to have all these different distros on my system is to learn how the all work. You'll notice that I try to install distros with completely different windows and desktop managers, different package managers, etc. I have a couple Gnomes, an old KDE3.5, a couple Xfces, and an LXDE/Openbox. I use Apt, Yum, Slackpkg, Pacman to manage .tgz, .txz, .deb, .rpm, etc. It's definitely a learning environment. ;) Well, off I go now...
Awesome!!!!Thanks

V.T. Eric Layton

Oh, and I am noticing a speed/performance increase in Slack64; also more efficient CPU usage, it seems. I think I'm going to be happy with it! :)

V.T. Eric Layton

Burning OpenSuse netinstall to CD right now, then I'm off to install Suse on my system for the first time in three years. :)

Oh, and I am noticing a speed/performance increase in Slack64; also more efficient CPU usage, it seems. I think I'm going to be happy with it! :)
That's probably where I'm seeing the performance increase in sidux64, my Lenny was always 32bit. Also Iceweasel3.5 is very noticeably faster.Now just have to find a 64bit super pi to measure it.

V.T. Eric Layton

Well, as I POSTED LAST NIGHT but since disappeared...Suse is in and running. I have to work around a couple items. I can't mount any of my partitions as root using standard commands (# mount /dev/sdx /mnt). Suse is using libATA and it only seems to recognize /dev/disk/by-id or uuid. I HATE libATA! If I were going to use this as my primary distro, I would custom compile my own kernel WITHOUT libATA support. :)

Well, as I POSTED LAST NIGHT but since disappeared...Suse is in and running. I have to work around a couple items. I can't mount any of my partitions as root using standard commands (# mount /dev/sdx /mnt). Suse is using libATA and it only seems to recognize /dev/disk/by-id or uuid. I HATE libATA! If I were going to use this as my primary distro, I would custom compile my own kernel WITHOUT libATA support. :rolleyes:
Weird that the board lost your Suse posts. Maybe its an omen. :)

V.T. Eric Layton

Maybe it was...I HATE OpenSuse. It's do-do. They've taken everything simple and clean about GNU/Linux and complicated it. Yast... /dev/disk/by-id... root not allowed to perform standard mount (not easily, anyway)... what's up with this? Novell has turned Suse into *GASP* MS Windows... ARRRRRRRRRRRGH! :) I'd have to install 10x or older to enjoy OpenSuse again. Oh well, another distro for the toilet. I won't be revisiting OpenSuse again anytime soon.So, now I have a dilemma. I have two nice partitions just waiting for a / and a /home for some deserving GNU/Linux distribution. Suggestions? :rolleyes:

V.T. Eric Layton

Well, it's aggravating, but it's not the end of the world. Maybe it was just a one time glitchy-thing. I wouldn't even bother Scot about it unless it occurs again.Thanks.=====So, I'm ready to d-load and install something. Still waiting on suggestions. :)

V.T. Eric Layton

Well, when you just can't seem to find a distro that really thrills you, fall back on an old faithful. I'm installing the new Zenwalk 6.2 w/ Xfce right now. :)

V.T. Eric Layton

OK, Zen is in! This is another one of those distros like Slack and Debian that I've installed so many times that I could probably do it in my sleep. :)It's mostly configured. The Nvidia drivers are in. FF and TB profiles are installed and working. All seems well. This distro is greased lightning with Xfce. I had forgotten how light and fast Zen is. Great Slackware progeny! :flowers: Tomorrow or the next day, I'll start adding my fav apps, Xfce extras, and putting the finishing touches on this baby. With that folks, this just about wraps up the InstallFest Fall '09. It's been fun and will continue to be fun as I play with and learn more about all this distros I have installed nowadays. Thanks to Securitybreach (Arch) and Sunrat (Sidux) for their much needed help. Thanks to anyone else who popped in here and read or participated. Scot's is a wonderful board! Thank you, Scot! :)It's nearly 0130hrs. I'm tired now. Off I go... :)

securitybreach

No problem!!! Glad to have a converted another Arch user hehehheBTW Nice picThanks

Edited by securitybreach

V.T. Eric Layton

I'm glad I stuck with it and got a working Arch on my system. It was fun... and a learning experience. I learn so much playing with Linux. Too bad none of that knowledge will ever earn me a living. :thumbsup: It's fun, anyway. :thumbsup:

InstallFest over, what will you do now? Glad that Sidux works for you and all the others. I'm too busy (or lazy) to keep more than a couple of distros these days. I will try out Zenwalk's new release though.

V.T. Eric Layton

What will I do now? I'll probably continue playing around with these distros and learning their ins and outs. I'll continue to get my new primary Slack installation rocking and rolling. I'll also be upgrading my Debian backup OS to 64 bits. Bits, bits...They're good for your 'puter.The more you have,The faster you scooter.The faster you scooter,The more you get done.Have more bits in every 'puter! :w00t:I'm a slightly sick individual. Oh well, at least I realize it, right? 44.gif

Edited by V.T. Eric Layton

securitybreach
I'm a slightly sick individual. Oh well, at least I realize it, right? 44.gif
They say admitting you have a problem is the first step towards recovery. :wacko: :wacko: BTW where do you get all the extra emoticons?Thanks Edited by securitybreach

V.T. Eric Layton

Whoops! Sorry, SB. I didn't see your request for the smiley link. I see Liz jumped in and helped out, though. :)This site has a few good ones, too --> http://www.myemoticons.com/emoticons/our-favourite/cooking.gifBy the way, this link works gooder for that site that Liz linked for you --> http://www.vvdrienerlo.nl/allsmileys.php