Adopt a Dial Up User

teacher

Allright folks . .UPDATE: We have 5 Adopters matched with 5 Adoptees . . . . 10 members happy . . . !! B) :)Congrats ! We still have 14 Adopters waiting for a dial-up users to be adopted . . . . so, dial-uppers post here or send me a PM and we will set you up ! NOTE: Julia is gone for the weekend so I do the statistics this weekend :) send me a PM !! Thanks to all the members taking part in this. ;) JuliaYYY.gif pingquinX.gif - - - Julia & Bruno - - -

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• teacher

• Bruno

• Stryder

• linuxdude32

Hi NilsonI knew you would be a candidate . . . We sure will find some adopter for you ;) , will you send me a PM what distro you use and what country you live ( Canada, UK, US . . . . . ) JuliaYYY.gif pingquinX.gif - - - Julia & Bruno - - -

This ophan has never used Linux in his life. He is looking for some nice adopters who will give him the chance to rid himself of Linux impoverishment. If adopted, his trust fund of a whopping 4 dollar will be transfer to the adopters via Paypal. Every month, this orphan will send a photograph and inform his adopted parents of the progress he has made.

Hi Nilson. The adopters are not actually making a profit. I know that cds, envelopes and postage cost money. This doesn't include cost of time and fuel from going to the post office. I equate this to sending a self address stamped envelope.

NM, I gonna recind my adoption request. I'm going off to college the week after next where there is free *cough - outrageous tuition* broadband access. Then, I'll be able to adopt a 56k'er myself.

Guest LilBambi

minh, I hear ya ... I am sure you will have fun with the broadband and good luck at school!nilson, please PM Bruno with the distro info, etc. He and teacher have all the details.

Guest LilBambi

Hey I love what 'cha did with the adoption certificate! And it sure looks great on each the messages for the matches ... very cool!---Hey, George LOL! No worries! ;)

Hi minh You´re making fun of us aren´t you ??? B) :DWelcome to the forum ! We do like a good joke . . . . . . . but, just to make myself clear, let me explain once again: NO money should exchange hands . . if you like you can send blanc CD´s and a self addressed stamped envelop to your adopter . . . . that´s okay, but that really is all. No obligations and nothing else in return then ¨THANK YOU¨ Have a good time in college . . . . and come to visit us more often. B) JuliaYYY.gif pingquinX.gif - - - Julia & Bruno - - -

This is a great idea. I don't post much but read voraciously every posting. However, I haven't been over here in a week or so (training for an "upgrade" job at work). Funny thing is, I work for a BB ISP, but only have access to dial up at home (we don't have paved roads, let alone cable out here).But I definately would like to try out Mandrake, I use Red Hat 8.0 and find it a little daunting at times (bloody sound card).So if someone would like to send me a copy of Mandrake, sign me up too.Thanks,Colin Adopted!! adoptionX.gifRegistered Linux User #318277

Edited by Bruno

Hi ColinWelcome . . Well, welcome is a bit late for someone I have seen reading the forum since beginning of April B) B) . . . . . :lol:I am on the look-out for a suitable Canadian match for you, and will let you know in a PM.UPDATE: Colin has been adopted ! ( updated score: 14 members happy ! :D )JuliaYYY.gif pingquinX.gif - - - Julia & Bruno - - -

DOH!!!! I forgot to say I live in Canada, about 30 miles south of Ottawa.See I told you we don't have paved roads out here. It's too hard on the sled dogs feet. B) Colin
I know the feeling.Click here
Now that is funny. Unfortunately it will be here sooner than I'd like. :)

It is wonderful to see how well things are going. After a weekend away taking daughter to college it is nice to see so many matches have been made. I believe our current tally includes 22 Adopters and 7 adopted. We have folks participating from England, Netherlands, Australia, Canada and the US. Just goes to show how international we are around here. I am delighted that this has demonstrated the type of community we have here. B)JuliaYYY.gif pingquinX.gif - - - Julia & Bruno - - -

Guys,I have just read your posts about adoption program, and I have to admit I am speechless...It is hard to find bunch of people like you....I am on dial up connection (still cannot afford a broadband connection)running Suse 8.2 , USA but would like to try Mandrake (edited by Teacher)In case a major upgrade I would send a prepaid envelope if someone would be willing to help me in the future upgrades..Thanks Chris :lol: Adopted!! adoptionX.gif

Since SuSe comes in boxed sets or you put it together yourself, we are not including it in this. If you would like to try out some other distro and have not thought it was possible due to your dial-up status, just say the word and we will match you with someone that has that distro and share the fun. :unsure: JuliaYYY.gif pingquinX.gif - - - Julia & Bruno - - -

Hey everybody, as you can tell I'm kinda new here, but I'm really interested in Linux :thumbsup: From reading these (super awesome great) forums, I have pretty much decided on Mandrake, judging on (most)everyone heres opinion that it is the easiest to install/use.And yes, "Steeler fan for life" does mean that I am located in Southwestern Pennsylvania.This is a great idea and I hope someone will adopt me so I can try it out :D Adopted!! adoptionX.gif

It is wonderful to see how well things are going.  After a weekend away taking daughter to college it is nice to see so many matches have been made.  I believe our current tally includes 22 Adopters and 7 adopted.  We have folks participating from England, Netherlands, Australia, Canada and the US.  Just goes to show how international we are around here.  I am delighted that this has demonstrated the type of community we have here.  B)JuliaYYY.gif pingquinX.gif  - - - Julia & Bruno - - -
Ya know this event might make a good article for Scots Newletter :thumbsup: Kind of Grass roots level advertising by community action :D But then again, there might be more of them, than us B) B) :D

martinpaulrice

Wow, what a group! Don't think I've ever seen anything like this. I would LOVE to be adopted. Some of you might have seen difficulties I've been having in another thread about a novice's connection problems.I live in Costa Rica, but I have a US address where I receive my mail which is then forwarded, so if there's an adoptive mommy or daddy out there, the US would be the place -- unless, of course there's someone out there from Costa Rica ;) Thanks so much,MartinUn maicerdo de Santiago de PuriscalCosta Rica Adopted!! adoptionX.gif

Great CodeJockey! Welcome to the forum. Send me a PM and let me know what part of the world you call home and we will get you added to the list. JuliaYYY.gif pingquinX.gif - - - Julia & Bruno - - -