Adopt a Dial Up User

teacher

Stryder,Here's a Linux Adoption Certificate ;)Anyone who wants it can just fill in the names and voila!(Jeber I hope you don't mind me stealing your little avatar - although I did change the colors to match the certificate)
LOL...that is great. You folks are the best. The first prankster around here does not stand a chance. He will quickly get out done. :blink:

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• teacher

• Bruno

• Stryder

• linuxdude32

Hey, I look good in that color! Sorta like the Crocodile Hunter...only shorter...and not an Aussie...and no pretty wife...and no TV show...and no way to see the croc's coming at me!

good idea, bruno & julia question: is it easy to modify SuSE 8.2 ISOs to include all the latest updates? we are forgetting that downloading all those MBs of updates after a fresh install of a distro will age our poor dial-up infants. :D

include all the latest updates
Good point. IMHO however I think that a)The point of sending out the new stable release is to catch the adoptee up on all those updates they didn't have the capacity to download.b)Integrating the updates into the distro is both non-trivial and the manufacturer's jobc)In many cases the updates are irrelevant to the user because they are never used.etc,,,,Stopping this before It turns into a rant.Bottomline, send something that is supposed to work, ie. a stable release.

I think if they feel like sending the updates go for it, but doesn't have to be. Updates can be added one by one and a person can choose which ones they want and don't want. Send the latest stable version should be good enough.

Yea, if we start talking about downloading and burning updates, then this idea will get out of hand REAL fast.Bruno's and Julia's initial idea is a good one, what we are saving potential adoptees is that massive 2000mb download just to get a distro started.That said, and all of us standing here with our burners running at idle, where are those dial-upers?Don't be afraid folks! Step right up. ;) :D

That´s right Specmon . . this is not a CD exchange service but just a way to help the dial-up friends of the forum. :DJuliaYYY.gif pingquinX.gif - - - Julia & Bruno - - - Fran: excellent job on the adoption certificate !! ;)

Guest LilBambi

Thanks Bruno ... was just having a little fun with Stryder and Jeber .. I knew they would appreciate it ;)But it also could be fun for any of the Adopters and the Adoptees too ;)

Records show that we have 15 folks that have volunteered to help out and a couple of matches made. Probably more will come out as the week goes by. After all, not everyone can be on the forum all the time! :( I will try to go back and add an undate where someone is adopted so we know who has had their needs met.JuliaYYY.gif pingquinX.gif - - - Julia & Bruno - - -

Thanks Scot, . . . you will get the certificate send to you soon. Julia keeps up with the statistics and sure will find you a good match. :P( the dial-up users are still a bit shy, but will sure be cueing up soon )JuliaYYY.gif pingquinX.gif - - - Julia & Bruno - - -

Great Scot!<what an opportunity to use that line> :DNow the question remains, what distro are you using? We try to match folks up with their distro as well. Glad to have you on board! JuliaYYY.gif pingquinX.gif - - - Julia & Bruno - - -

I think it is a great idea Julia , Of course I would be on the recieving end so i may be just a tad prejudiced in that direction .I am on dialup and am running RH9 at present but I would like to try Mandrake if anyone would care to adopt me .Fran I am jealous you got to the certificate befoe I did :D :P :DGeorge - here is your official tag: Adopted!! adoptionX.gifBy the best :D

Julia keeps up with the statistics
Keep that list handy, Julia. It will give us a starting point for the gift-exchange list for the xmas party. :P

Julia keeps up with the statistics
Keep that list handy, Julia. It will give us a starting point for the gift-exchange list for the xmas party. :P
Hang on to it until Christmas? You are asking a lot of me Jeber. Can't you guess how many times I will reformat and reinstall between now and then? :D

Put me on the list. I may have some consistency problems because I run my own business and I'm either swamped (like this week) or sitting around doing nothing (like last week).

Let's see. Are you volunteering to be an adopter? I think I remember something about you using Libranet? Do I have that much right? I don't remember any modem questions so I assume you are not dial up. Be happy to add you to the list.JuliaYYY.gif pingquinX.gif - - - Julia & Bruno - - -

I'm using Libranet as a learner system on my laptop. I'll be installing either Libranet or Debian on my desktop this weekend (hopefully) but I will still have W98 with DSL for downloading and a W98 ISO burner.

I already volunteered to Julia that I'd be willing to mail someone a copy of Mandrake 9.2 when it goes stable. But, I also have 'Drake version 9.1, RedHat 9.0, and the latest stable Slackware CD. I'm willing to mail to addresses in the USA, so if there is anyone out there on dial-up desiring any of these, PM Julia and myself. I'm willing to send a total of three CD's or however many 'drake 9.2 comes in, so if you would rather have three different distro's of 1 disk each, I'll go there as well. (It may give me the added bonus of finding a good one I wasn't initially interested in)I also have Overclockix_Eidolon, Knoppix 3.2 and D Small 0.4.7. :D

question: is it legal to send out my 5 CD ISO copy of SuSE 8.2 Pro to any dial-up user who asks? Linux is technically free and open source, though only older version of SuSE are available in ISO for free download.if its legal, then count me in as a BB (Broadband Brother). :D anyone want suse 8.2?

We are sticking with downloaded copies only. Jason received permission from SuSe to share within his LUG but there are restrictions that accompany that. We want to avoid any appearance of skirting any rules so are keeping it simple by simply sticking with downloaded ISOs only. Thanks for offering. :D pingquinX.gif JuliaYYY.gif - - - Bruno & Julia - - -

Just to be really clear on this, Prelude76, the answer is "no". I had exactly the same question regarding SuSE 8.2 (great minds think alike?)...and after checking with Scot, we decided not to share any boxed (retail) version of any distro. Downloadable versions only. So all you wanting to enjoy SuSE along with Prelude76, Jason, me and a few others, will just have to pony up the bucks and buy a copy. :D

very good, jeber. see, i thought i'd ASK this time instead of posting under the influence and breaking a rule :rolleyes: i wish Suse would release a current 8.2 standard ISO for free, because i think its a really good linux distro. then again, i haven't really tried any of the others.

Well it is free but unfortunately not in ISO form.From what I understand is that boxed versions come with some propriatery software which is not free so that is the reason you should not share your copy.For e.g. Main Actor (Non linera video editing application) that comes unlocked with Suse 8.2 pro (boxed version) is not included in download version and it is not free to download either nor included with other distros.

RE : SUSE 8.2 . I do have a copy of the trial disk of SUSE 8.2 which is legal to share so if anyone is interested in trying it out I will be happy to send them a copy of it by snail mail .Just to be clear about it . It is a fully functional copy of the distro Except you cannot go online with it . And it is a downloadable cd .I hope this does not conflict with your rule Julia about sharing cd's with each other .

George You are okay. I assume you are referring to the Live CD. I have downloaded that as well. You can go on line with it. I did that from the live version. It is a single CD and is not the entire set. If you really want SuSe and don't want to spend the few dollars, you can go to their site and you can download components and put together your own disk. It is not something I would tackle, but I believe I remember that option. If you want to do that, this is their list of mirrors for download. It is not an iso image and you need the directions. This does not contain the proprietary parts nor does it include the support folks pay for with the boxed set.pingquinX.gif JuliaYYY.gif - - - Bruno & Julia - - -