Debian's on my desktop

SueD

Aaaargh! I don't know what happened. It looks like my resolution exploded. It still set at 1680x1050 but it looks more like 640x480. :teehee: What the heck is going on here?

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SueD

• Bruno

• Urmas

• sunrat

Top Posters In This Topic

Aaaargh! I don't know what happened. It looks like my resolution exploded. It still set at 1680x1050 but it looks more like 640x480. :teehee: What the heck is going on here?
????? . . . What's happening ?? . . . Can you start krandrtray ( as user ) from the commandline and see what the applet it starts up next to the clock tells you about the resolution ?Maybe reboot and see if it improves ?Maybe you are right and your hardware really does not like Debian ( or Deb does not like your hardware :w00t: ):w00t: Bruno

krandrtray gives me a command not found.I've rebooted a few times since this started. The last 2 times, I got a pop-up on the desktop telling me I had a kernel failure. It can't be that bad...I'm in Debian right now. :teehee:

Are you installing the 173.14.xx driver? This should support the NV 6200. There are currently 4 different NV drivers for different cards, so it gets confusing. Compiling the module needs to use the same "gcc" the kernel was built with, which relates to the cc error you had.. In the past I had to install "gcc-4.1" and set environment with

export CC=/usr/bin/gcc-4.1

This wiki page is the bible for NVidia drivers on Debian. The "Use module-assistant" way is recommended rather than the .run package (which I always used anyway :w00t: :teehee: ), but you must clean out any files installed by previous attempts or it may fail.I haven't tested The Debian Way (module assistant) on latest Lenny yet. Gotta fix my no.1 computer first. :w00t:

You could, for the time being, edit the /etc/X11/xorg.conf and change the "Driver" from "nvidia" to "nv", that will solve the kernel problems.:teehee: Bruno

Clutch_at_straws_dept proudly presents: Sgfxi :teehee: Better wait for Sunrat's - he's da sidux man - input on this, but here comes:I was browsing the Debian User Forums, and found this thread: http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?t=35895

My suggestion would be to use www.smxi.org much easier than trying to install packages or using module-assistant.
Most commonly used features The following shows the main steps and options most people find useful. See sgfxi -h for full listing of options.
  • Offers latest stable drivers, as well as beta nVidia drivers, within 24 hours of release, usually. Generally the new drivers are added as soon as I become aware of them. So if I've failed to update, simply post a note and let me know about the new driver on the sgfxi feature request thread. Or, if you see the user h2-gw on the smxi irc channel: irc.oftc.net channel #smxi you can alert me there too.
  • Automatically determines correct driver type for your specific card. This feature has very good support for nVidia non-free drivers, Intel, nVidia, and ATI Xorg drivers, plus a few others. In other words, if you use a legacy nVidia card, it will determine what driver to install for that card, automatically.
  • Cleans up system of all previous drivers prior to install.
  • Automatic install of latest nVidia beta driver: sgfxi -cB Note: this only installs latest beta if latest beta is a higher version number than current stable for your card type.
  • Automatic install using Debian method of non-free driver install (using m-a): sgfxi -s (or, for nVidia: sgfxi -cs)
  • Configures xorg.conf for your driver choice, including some common settings. Does NOT use the nVidia or ATI auto configuration tools because they tend to be very messy and unreliable.
  • Install a wide range of free Xorg drivers. This will also remove any previously installed non-free drivers, and update your xorg.conf to use the new driver.

Major known issues There are some fairly consistent, known, issues, that haven't changed much over time. Here's a brief listing of them:

• Erratic fglrx (ATI non-free driver) support and function. This is not a reliable driver, especially not in the current default of using the debian deb constructor option of the fglrx driver installer package. This will probably be changed fairly soon to use the straight driver install, like nVidia in sgfxi.
  • fglrx barely supports Debian Sid in general, so if you have a solid working setup, do NOT randomly upgrade your system without first checking to make sure the driver actually works with the latest Xorg and Kernel.
  • Fglrx does not work with sidux kernels newer than 2.6.24. This is because of a kernel configuration option used in the sidux kernels, which is valid, but which makes the fglrx install fail. ATI has so far failed to show any signs of correcting this issue. The only current solution, aside from using a patch to override the GPL flags in the sidux kernels, which I won't get into here due to the passions that raises elsewhere, is to install the Debian Sid or Testing kernel. smxi supports install of Debian kernels for sidux users in its Advanced Kernel Install section.
  • Debian Testing/Stable: nVidia Debian method (m-a etc...) install of non-free drivers doesn't work because Testing/Stable don't have the required nVidia non-free packages, which are considered bugs by definition. This doesn't look like it will change. However, the direct, non Debian method install works fine, so it doesn't really matter.

Yep, smxi is an awesome update utility, with lots of other great functions too. I always use it to update Sidux, but haven't tried it in normal Debian. According to reports, it works well. If you want to try it, I highly recommend it, but YMMV. It can do kernel upgrades, dist-upgrades, install apps, remove unwanted apps and cruft, and of course graphics drivers.Try sgfxi for just graphics. As long as you get the right driver, it's really easy. I had no luck with an ATI card recently, but then found out the fglrx driver didn't work on new kernels so had to go back to radeon driver, which wasn't very good. So I ditched the ATI card and put Nvidia one back in and installed driver wih smxi (not sgfxi) and all was sweet again.You need to install the script from smxi.org and drop out of X, log in as root and run smxi.http://smxi.org/site/install.htmMake sure you get the 173.14.xx driver for the 6200.

Sue, don't want to interfere here, but wouldn't it be a better idea to give Sidux a try?
Interfere away!I know that should be the smart thing to do but honestly, I don't believe I'll have any better luck with Sidux than I had with any other Debian based distro.Mama always said I was too stubborn for my own good, and she was probably right. I don't like it when something has gotten the better of me. But I may have to concede this time.

Mama always said I was too stubborn for my own good...
Entertainment That which engages the attention agreeably, amuses or diverts, whether in private, as by conversation, etc., or in public, by performances of some kind; amusement. [1913 Webster] Theatrical entertainments conducted with greater elegance and refinement. --Prescott. [1913 Webster]
couchpotato.jpg :teehee:

Bruno, I had to change the Driver to "vesa". It wouldn't accept "nv". But at least right now, I'm at the point I was at when I started yesterday with the wrong resolution...but at least it's readable and I don't have to scroll from side to side.Sunrat, you've given me a lot to read over. So I guess I know how I'll be spending my Sunday afternoon. Thanks. It wasn't the 173.14.xx driver but rather the 180.29 nvidia said to use.Urmas... :teehee:

Bruno, I had to change the Driver to "vesa". It wouldn't accept "nv". But at least right now, I'm at the point I was at when I started yesterday with the wrong resolution...but at least it's readable and I don't have to scroll from side to side.
Hi Sue . . . I am afraid that if the "nv" is not working you can forget about the "nvidia" driver, because something is definitely wrong ! With the xorg.conf the nvidia installer has made the generic xorg "nv" driver should have worked ! The "nv" driver is like a life-jacket it should keep you floating at all times . . . and if it doesn't you're lost ! . . . . Only, if you're a good swimmer, a desert island like "vesa" can save your life, but, like with every desert island, the comfort is limited :)B) Bruno

Hi Sue . . . I am afraid that if the "nv" is not working you can forget about the "nvidia" driver, because something is definitely wrong ! With the xorg.conf the nvidia installer has made the generic xorg "nv" driver should have worked ! The "nv" driver is like a life-jacket it should keep you floating at all times . . . and if it doesn't you're lost ! . . . . Only, if you're a good swimmer, a desert island like "vesa" can save your life, but, like with every desert island, the comfort is limited :) B) Bruno
I've read that Debian wiki that Sunrat posted twice now and I'm not understanding it very well. We've run out of options and we're at the end, aren't we.BTW, Debian works fine on hubby's computer. Mind you, there are no sound or video cards to muck things up.LOL

I think it will be easier to widen the horizon and look for another distro that does support the hardware "out of the box" :)Myself I have a test-system with a Nvidia card ( I think an FX 5200 or something like that ) and some distros always give me hassle, and some work without any intervention ( think Mandriva B) ). With installing nvidia drivers it is never really clear what legacy driver to install.Installing Nvidia drivers used to be really simple back in "the old days" . . . . but these days there are all kinds of different ones and if your card is a bit outdated you can look in the docs at Nvidia but even then it does not always work.In a nutshell: it's a mess and they ( nvidia ) need to clean up their act . . seriously !:) Bruno

Thanks Bruno, that's what I figured. I'll decide later what to replace it with. In the meantime, I can always play around on hubby's machine.It's funny how all the other Debian based distros had trouble with my modem yet managed the monitor's resolution fine. You can't imagine how excited I was the other day to see that not only did Debian recognize the modem right off, I didn't have to continually do a manual reconnection every time I logged on!LOLThank you Bruno, Sunrat and Urmas for your time. B)

ubuntu seems pretty smooth.pclinuxos 2007 seems to live boot on most anything. there's a couple for ya to consider.
Ubuntu's Debian based so it's a no-go. Besides, I already tried 8.04 and the same modem problems I had with Dapper exist.I do have a copy of PCLos 2007 here and it was installed for a while because I was helping a friend who's much too shy to come in here and ask for help.LOL But it's so much like Mandriva, I figured why have both? But thanks for the suggestions. B)

Try Sidux Sue. It has a different installer from Debian and seems to set up hardware a little better. Its also faster and much easier to configure.Sidux is a Live CD with installer so you can run it live first to check if it works. Try the KDE-lite version or the XFCE version.And kde-lite installed for me in about 6 minutes last night after I finished rebuilding my PC.My ASUS mobo failed so I figured I may as well upgrade too. Now have Gigabyte P45 board w/ Core2Duo E8500 cpu. :) And the old Debian and Sidux installs booted without complaint! (old system was Asus P965 board with E6400) :) B)

Try Sidux Sue. It has a different installer from Debian and seems to set up hardware a little better. Its also faster and much easier to configure.Sidux is a Live CD with installer so you can run it live first to check if it works. Try the KDE-lite version or the XFCE version.And kde-lite installed for me in about 6 minutes last night after I finished rebuilding my PC.My ASUS mobo failed so I figured I may as well upgrade too. Now have Gigabyte P45 board w/ Core2Duo E8500 cpu. :) And the old Debian and Sidux installs booted without complaint! (old system was Asus P965 board with E6400) :o B)
Ok, I'll consider Sidux but it will be the last time I try a Debian based distro on this machine. Hmm, maybe I need a new computer! Nah, I can't justify the cost when I've got one that works.LOL Enjoy your new mobo and thanks for all your help. :)
:lol: no kidding! pclinuxos - borrowed from the best of many distros... :D
:hysterical: BTW, I forgot to wish you luck when you install Debian. I'm sure you'll get along better with it that I did. :)

hi, sued,thanks for responding!my post count keeps climbing into the clouds!no. this post is ~not~ spam.no, no. no spam here... :hysterical:
Post count? I didn't know there was a post count! Oh, now I see it, on the left there. Whaddyaknow! :lol: </Not spam either.> :D

Just installed smxi on my new Debian Lenny HD instal. Works beautifully.Make sure you have contrib/nonfree in your sources. Follow the install guide:http://smxi.org/site/install.htmAfter initial run of smxi after install you should be in a console login. Just log in as root and run smxi.Follow the instructions till you get to graphics install (sgfxi). I selected the Nv driver for my card and it downloaded dependencies (linux-headers, build-essential etc.) d/led the driver from Nvidia, built the module, installed and configured.Of course I tested 3d with a quick game of gl-117. :lol: :hysterical:

Sunrat, thanks again for suggesting smxi. I decided to give Debian one more shot and installed the script. I even told it to use the 173.14.xx driver but again, no luck. On to Sidux!

Sunrat, thanks again for suggesting smxi. I decided to give Debian one more shot and installed the script. I even told it to use the 173.14.xx driver but again, no luck. On to Sidux!
Do you mean smxi failed to install the driver, or the driver didn't work after installing? If the latter, Its possible Sidux wouldn't fare any better as it will still install the same driver. However the new Sidux 2009.1 with kernel 2.6.28 needed a new nvidia beta driver to work on my no.2 PC with NV FX5500. It installed and worked perfectly, but I never had trouble with the older ones either.This definitely shouldn't be so hard! It's just a Nvidia graphics card. They always work. :thumbsup:

Do you mean smxi failed to install the driver, or the driver didn't work after installing? If the latter, Its possible Sidux wouldn't fare any better as it will still install the same driver. However the new Sidux 2009.1 with kernel 2.6.28 needed a new nvidia beta driver to work on my no.2 PC with NV FX5500. It installed and worked perfectly, but I never had trouble with the older ones either.This definitely shouldn't be so hard! It's just a Nvidia graphics card. They always work. :thumbsup:
Nope, smxi installed the driver but it didn't work and I was back to the very wrong resolution.I also gave Sidux a try and that was a wash out too. The LiveCD booted fine but once it was in X, I couldn't see anything but a wave of colors. That's it for Debian based distros for me.

Nope, smxi installed the driver but it didn't work and I was back to the very wrong resolution.I also gave Sidux a try and that was a wash out too. The LiveCD booted fine but once it was in X, I couldn't see anything but a wave of colors. That's it for Debian based distros for me.
Two words..Vector Linux.

Shame we couldn't get it happening, Sue. Debian's always been great for me, and I bet it's a very minor config issue like failure to get correct EDID data from the monitor.Anyway, Vector works well for me too, so lots of luck there!BTW, which distros have you run successfully on that machine?