Debian's on my desktop

SueD

Installation went well. I opted for KDE. Inserted the appropriate entry in Mandriva's grub. Yadda yadda. Rebooted. Everything seemed to go fine. There were no error messages in all that text. Then it happened...nothing. Rather than seeing the log in screen, I get a grey bouncy box around my screen. Sorry, I can't remember what it said exactly...something about no input about something.Could this be about my video card or monitor? And how do we fix it.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SueD

• Bruno

• Urmas

• sunrat

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to hear about your misfortune Sue. Do you get the option of booting into Safe Mode or Failsafe? Otherwise Bruno will have to help you. I think it is something like Ctrl+Alt+F2 then "root" and "init3" and then Xorgconfig but you should wait for the guru who should be here soon.P.S. Here in my notes I see something about Debian that goes like;

#dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86

which should probably be adapted to "xserver-xorg".But as I said better wait for Bruno.

Edited by réjean

It's your monitor telling you it doesn't like Debian's display settings.When Debian's Grub appears...53587131tg7.png... go for "single-user mode". Bootup halts... here:89689050sl6.pngGive your root password. Start the X configuration wizard with

dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

:hysterical:

Sorry to hear about your misfortune Sue. Do you get the option of booting into Safe Mode or Failsafe? Otherwise Bruno will have to help you. I think it is something like Ctrl+Alt+F2 then "root" and "init3" and then Xorgconfig but you should wait for the guru who should be here soon.P.S. Here in my notes I see something about Debian that goes like;
#dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86

which should probably be adapted to "xserver-xorg".But as I said better wait for Bruno.

Thanks Réjean but when I try Ctrl+Alt+F2, the monitor is so garbled up, I can make head nor tails of anything.Thanks Urmas, I'll give that a try.

Hi Urmas!Good suggestions, much better than mine. It seems that whenever I click on your pictures I get the following;snapshot16dq4.th.jpgAfter you upload your pictures do you choose "get the code for forum" and copy the first one? The problem could very well be with ImageShack and the same will happen with my image. I'll let you know in a sec.P.S. Nope. Mine seems to be fine.

Edited by réjean

Installation went well. I opted for KDE. Inserted the appropriate entry in Mandriva's grub. Yadda yadda. Rebooted. Everything seemed to go fine. There were no error messages in all that text. Then it happened...nothing. Rather than seeing the log in screen, I get a grey bouncy box around my screen. Sorry, I can't remember what it said exactly...something about no input about something.Could this be about my video card or monitor? And how do we fix it.
Booting in "single user mode" and opening the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file to edit the "Driver" to "vesa" in the Section "Device" would probably have solved the issue . . . ( * But I can't give a guarantee it would have . . . B) )B) Bruno

Booting in "single user mode" and opening the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file to edit the "Driver" to "vesa" in the Section "Device" would probably have solved the issue . . . ( * But I can't give a guarantee it would have . . . B) ) B) Bruno
I did a reinstall and had to do Urmas's commands again. Still no go. How do I edit the xorg.conf? Please keep it simple...I'm accustomed to using mcedit.

..I'm accustomed to using mcedit.
Excellent, that will do !
# mcedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Look for the line saying: Section "Device" . . . and see what "Driver" it iuses . . . change it to "vesa"B) Bruno

Excellent, that will do !
# mcedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Look for the line saying: Section "Device" . . . and see what "Driver" it iuses . . . change it to "vesa" B) Bruno

No can do...-bash: mcedit: command not found

Maybe install it: "# apt-get install mc" . . . . or . . can you use nano ? B) Bruno
Well duh, why didn't I think of that?LOLThere is very little in there.
Section "Device"<----------> Identifier<---------->"Configured Video Device"<---------->Option<><---------->"UseFBDev:<-----><---------->"true"EndSection

I see that Deb has a *shortened* xorg.conf . . . . in this case replace the Section Device with:

Section "Device"			Identifier  "VESA" 	Driver	  "vesa"EndSection

After that reboot and see what it gives.B) BrunoElse we will use fbdev . . . B)

I see that Deb has a *shortened* xorg.conf . . . . in this case replace the Section Device with:
Section "Device"			 Identifier  "VESA" 	 Driver	  "vesa" EndSection

After that reboot and see what it gives. B) BrunoElse we will use fbdev . . . B)

Yay, vesa worked!!! Thanks again Bruno. B)

HURRRRRRAAAAAAY !!!Congrats with your new Debian Sue !!! B) Bruno
Thank you. :)I've already come across something I don't like. I'm going to try and fix it on my own first before I come bug you about it.LOL

I've changed my mind. For the sake of my eyes, I need to know how to set the proper resolution. My monitor is supposed to be set at 1600X1050 but I can't set it beyond 1400X1050. Help please?

You will have to install the nvidia drivers . . . ( and while you're at it let the nvidia installer create a new xorg.conf for you B) . . . . but: just to be sure, please first back up the current /etc/X11/xorg.conf )B) BrunoPS: I'm out to grab a bite

Sue, Bruno:Before going the whole nine yards with the proprietary driver, why not trying with the generic "nv" driver first... editing xorg.conf like this, maybe:

Section "Device"	 Identifier	"Configured Video Device"	 Driver		"nv" EndSection  Section "Monitor"	 Identifier	"Configured Monitor"	 HorizSync	30-82	 VertRefresh	50-85 EndSection  Section "Screen"	 Identifier	"Default Screen"	 Monitor		"Configured Monitor"	 Device		"Configured Video Device"	 DefaultDepth	24		 SubSection	"Display"		 Depth		24		 Modes		"1680x1050"		 EndSubSection EndSection

B)

Thank goodness I'm getting into the habit of making backups before trying something new.

Parse error on line 46 of section Screen in file /etc/X11/xorg.conf"Modes" is not a valid keyword in this section

"Modes" is not a valid keyword in this section

Huh? These new, castrated xorg.conf setups are driving me bonkers.

Oh good. It's nice to know I'm not the only one who can do that to you. B)

Oh good. It's nice to know I'm not the only one who can do that to you. :hysterical:
Me too I don't like them !! What's the story with "Modes" not accepted ? . . . What if you replace that with "Virtual" ??OR . . and this is better, have a look Here ( Boot up in single user mode and start reading at the line "We stay logged in as root and first do:" up to the line "I know “startx” is possible too, but I do like a “fresh” start" ) how you can create a brand new fresh solid old-fashion xorg.conf file with all the options we are used to.In addition to the Tip: Maybe, if the "# Xorg -config /root/xorg.conf.new" does not give the desired screen, you will need to set the Driver in that new /root/xorg.conf.new to "nv" or "vesa" ( "nv" should be better ). I know it is a bit of work but in any case, with this old-fashion xorg.conf, you will have the section with the "Modes" where you can define the resolution you want. :)I did the same ( creating a new conf file ) with a mutated xorg.conf in a recent Ubuntu and after that all was fine.B) Bruno