Time to update to MDV 2008 64 bit?

Grogerf

Okay . . . so Lisa does start up like it should . . . this means that in case we fail the FTP you could use/try Samba . . . Anyway . . . let us do one more attempt:
# urpme proftpd

this should remove the proftpd that currently is installed . . . . please watch that it only takes down the proftpd package and no other packages.Next check if also the file /etc/rc.d/init.d/proftpd is removed by the above command ( it should ! )Once the present proftpd is removed we will download the very latest one that is in cooker:

$ wget ftp://fr2.rpmfind.net/linux/MandrakeCooker/cooker/x86_64/media/main/release/proftpd-1.3.1-6mdv2008.1.x86_64.rpm

This command issued as user will download the proftpd-1.3.1-6mdv2008.1.x86_64.rpm package to your /home . . . next we will install it:

# rpm -ihv proftpd-1.3.1-6mdv2008.1.x86_64.rpm

( please show the output of this command on the forum )Next you try again, the now well-known command:

# service proftpd restart

B) Bruno

Hallo Bruno :D Thanks for your continued interest :thumbsup: It all went well :devil: until THAT famous command :hug: :wub: Now that proftpd is still not wanting to start should I remove "drakwizard" using the MCC if we're going to use Samba? :P Whichever way it will be good to get the file sharing up and then to access the printers from machine#2 :w00t: :clap: GrogerfHere's what happened:-[root@grandpa roger]# urpme proftpdremoving proftpd-1.3.1-3mdv2008.0.x86_64removing package proftpd-1.3.1-3mdv2008.0.x86_64warning: /etc/proftpd.conf saved as /etc/proftpd.conf.rpmsave[root@grandpa roger]# exitexit[roger@grandpa ~]$ wget ftp://fr2.rpmfind.net/linux/MandrakeCooke...08.1.x86_64.rpm--11:29:04-- ftp://fr2.rpmfind.net/linux/MandrakeCooke...08.1.x86_64.rpm => `proftpd-1.3.1-6mdv2008.1.x86_64.rpm'Resolving fr2.rpmfind.net... 195.220.108.108Connecting to fr2.rpmfind.net|195.220.108.108|:21... connected.Logging in as anonymous ... Logged in!==> SYST ... done. ==> PWD ... done.==> TYPE I ... done. ==> CWD /linux/MandrakeCooker/cooker/x86_64/media/main/release ... done.==> PASV ... done. ==> RETR proftpd-1.3.1-6mdv2008.1.x86_64.rpm ... done.Length: 1,711,371 (1.6M) (unauthoritative)100%[====================================>] 1,711,371 52.80K/s ETA 00:0011:29:41 (51.52 KB/s) - `proftpd-1.3.1-6mdv2008.1.x86_64.rpm' saved [1711371][roger@grandpa ~]$ suPassword:[root@grandpa roger]# rpm -ihv proftpd-1.3.1-6mdv2008.1.x86_64.rpmPreparing... ########################################### [100%] 1:proftpd ########################################### [100%][root@grandpa roger]# service proftpd restartStopping proftpd [FAILED]Starting proftpd [FAILED][root@grandpa roger]#

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Grogerf

• Bruno

• striker

• Anil

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Groger . . . did you check this part of my post:

Next check if also the file /etc/rc.d/init.d/proftpd is removed by the above command ( it should ! )
before installing the new package ?:thumbsup: Bruno

Hi Groger . . . did you check this part of my post: before installing the new package ?B) Bruno
Hallo Bruno :P ,Yes :thumbsup: I did check that the file /etc/rc.d/init.d/proftpd was gone it was :devil: :w00t: Only when I was sure that it was gone did I move to download the cooker :clap: :hug: Sorry :( I should have specifically mentioned that in the reply.Hope the confirmation helps :wub: Looking forward to your next :D Grogerf

Right, yes, okay . . let us try 2 more tricks:First we want to see if there is a /var/lock/subsys/proftpd file:

$ ls -l /var/lock/subsys/proftpd

In case the file is indeed there we remove it and start the server:

# rm /var/lock/subsys/proftpd# /etc/rc.d/init.d/proftpd start

( In case the file is NOT there the 2 last commands make no sense :thumbsup: )Second, if all the above still did not make us happy, we will backup-move a file:

# mv /etc/xinetd.d/proftpd-xinetd /etc/xinetd.d/proftpd-xinetd-BACKUP

Next we first reboot the system, restart the server and check the status of the server:

# reboot

<waiting for boot>

# /etc/rc.d/init.d/proftpd restart# /etc/rc.d/init.d/proftpd status

:devil: Bruno

Right, yes, okay . . let us try 2 more tricks:First we want to see if there is a /var/lock/subsys/proftpd file:
$ ls -l /var/lock/subsys/proftpd

In case the file is indeed there we remove it and start the server:

# rm /var/lock/subsys/proftpd# /etc/rc.d/init.d/proftpd start

( In case the file is NOT there the 2 last commands make no sense ;) )Second, if all the above still did not make us happy, we will backup-move a file:

# mv /etc/xinetd.d/proftpd-xinetd /etc/xinetd.d/proftpd-xinetd-BACKUP

Next we first reboot the system, restart the server and check the status of the server:

# reboot

<waiting for boot>

# /etc/rc.d/init.d/proftpd restart# /etc/rc.d/init.d/proftpd status

B) Bruno

Hallo Bruno :D Thanks for your reply :thumbsup: The response to '$ ls -l /var/lock/subsys/proftpd' was 'no such file ....'So I skipped the next two commands did '# mv /etc/xinetd.d/proftpd-xinetd /etc/xinetd.d/proftpd-xinetd-BACKUP' and # 'reboot' so far so good :thumbsup: Then [roger@grandpa ~]$ suPassword:[root@grandpa roger]# /etc/rc.d/init.d/proftpd restartStopping proftpd [FAILED]Starting proftpd [FAILED][root@grandpa roger]# /etc/rc.d/init.d/proftpd statusproftpd is stopped :( :( [root@grandpa roger]# So proftpd STILL doesn't want to play :( :thumbsdown: - what can we do to entice it - we do have really sunny weather here :rolleyes: :thumbsup: - still not enough for proftpd??Looking forward to your next step along the route to proftpd success :thumbsup: Grogerf

:thumbsup: . . . In was really hoping the last set of commands would work . . . :(For now I am out of options . . . . sorry . . . I think you will have to switch to Samba or vsftpd ( another FTP server that is in the repositories ).The problem is that I don't know/use both packages myself . . . so I will not be able to be much help to you configuring it. ( the conf file for vsftpd is in ‎/etc/vsftpd/vsftpd.conf ) :thumbsdown: BrunoUPDATE: Okay I did a quick test on vsftpd:Uninstall proftpdInstall vsftpdAdd allowed IP addresses to /etc/hosts.allow like:
jupiter 10.0.0.154
next start the server with:
# service vsftpd start

( at reboot it will be started automatically )next type in addressbar of remote computer ( on lan ):

( !! Watch the s at the sftp address !! And the :22 for the port to use ). . . and you will be asked for usename and password :thumbsup:

:( . . . In was really hoping the last set of commands would work . . . :(For now I am out of options . . . . sorry . . . I think you will have to switch to Samba or vsftpd ( another FTP server that is in the repositories ).The problem is that I don't know/use both packages myself . . . so I will not be able to be much help to you configuring it. ( the conf file for vsftpd is in ‎/etc/vsftpd/vsftpd.conf ) :( BrunoUPDATE: Okay I did a quick test on vsftpd:Uninstall proftpdInstall vsftpdAdd allowed IP addresses to /etc/hosts.allow like:next start the server with:
# service vsftpd start

( at reboot it will be started automatically )next type in addressbar of remote computer ( on lan ): ( !! Watch the s at the sftp address !! And the :22 for the port to use ). . . and you will be asked for usename and password :(

Hallo Bruno B) :( Nearly there :thumbsdown: :thumbsup: Followed your instructions and got very close :thumbsup: , but still not allowed to log in from other machine.Here is what I found :-[root@grandpa roger]# service vsftpd startStarting vsftpd for vsftpd: [ OK ][root@grandpa roger]# :thumbsup: :thumbsup: I modified the vsftpd.conf file to read as follows:-#local_enable=YES## Uncomment this to enable any form of FTP write command.write_enable=YES## Default umask for local users is 077. You may wish to change this to 022,local_umask=022## Uncomment this to allow the anonymous FTP user to upload files. This onlyand modified /etc/hosts.allow to read like this:-# hosts.allow This file describes the names of the hosts which are# allowed to use the local INET services, as decided# by the '/usr/sbin/tcpd' server.#grandma 1xx.xxx.1.xx (where 1xx.xxx.1.xx is the IP address of the other machine)Seems as if I need to make some small changes to the configuration files The sequence I get on machine #2 is :-'opening sftp connection to host'long pause'error encountered while talking to ssh''An error occurred while loading sftp://xxx etc''unknown errorError occurred while talking to ssh'Have I missed something in your instructions?It's so very nearly there that I'm pretty sure I must have made a small error somewhere :D Looking forward to straightening out the last little curves :rolleyes: ;) Grogerf

Yep . . looks like an ssh issue indeed . . . now try this, see if ssh is running:

# service sshd status

. . if it is not, install "openssh-server" in the MCC and start it with

# service sshd start

At the next reboot it will start automatically so you only have to do this once.Next ssh your remote system by the IP address and username like:

# ssh grogerf@10.0.0.154

. . it will generate the key and next ask for the password of grogerf . . . ( once logged in you will get the user-prompt, but remember that is the prompt on the remote system !! ) So after that press Ctrl+D to log out from the remote system. ( You will get the root-prompt back )And finally try the vsFTP server again . . . . chances are it will work okay this time.:thumbsup: BrunoPS: once ssh works you can also type:

fish://grogerf@10.0.0.154

in the addressbar of your konqueror filemmanager :thumbsdown:

How are your firewall settings?Do you have SSH installed and enabled?
Hallo striker :blink: Thanks for your reply :thumbsup: Regarding firewall - I set up security as 'normal' on both machines when installing Mandriva 2008 - apart from that I haven't done anything to set up a firewall.Regarding SSH now that I've followed Bruno's instructions it's clear that I didn't have it installed - but it is now :) <_< Thanks again for your interest :) <_< Grogerf

Yep . . looks like an ssh issue indeed . . . now try this, see if ssh is running:
 # service sshd status

. . if it is not, install "openssh-server" in the MCC and start it with

# service sshd start

At the next reboot it will start automatically so you only have to do this once.Next ssh your remote system by the IP address and username like:

# ssh grogerf@10.0.0.154

. . it will generate the key and next ask for the password of grogerf . . . ( once logged in you will get the user-prompt, but remember that is the prompt on the remote system !! ) So after that press Ctrl+D to log out from the remote system. ( You will get the root-prompt back )And finally try the vsFTP server again . . . . chances are it will work okay this time.B) BrunoPS: once ssh works you can also type:

fish://grogerf@10.0.0.154

in the addressbar of your konqueror filemmanager ;)

Hallo Bruno :D :D VERY close now <_< In fact I suspect that I must have misunderstood something - but we'll soon know <_< Here's how it went:-[root@grandpa roger]# service sshd statusCannot find sshd serviceUsage: service -[Rfshv] SERVICE ARGUMENTS -f|--full-restart: Do a fullrestart of the service. -R|--full-restart-all: Do a fullrestart of all running services. -s|--status-all: Print a status of all services. -d|--debug: Launch with debug. -h|--help: This help.OK so openssh-server isn't installed :thumbsup: Open MCC and install openssh-server - that went fine :blink: Next [root@grandpa roger]# service sshd startStarting sshd: [ OK ]That bit went fine :) Then on machine #1 I tried to ssh machine #2[root@grandpa roger]# ssh roger@xxx.xxx.x.x5ssh: connect to host xxx.xxx.x.x5 port 22: Connection timed out[root@grandpa roger]# Something not quite right here - should I have tried from machine #2?Tried same procedure from machine #2 to machine #1 (changing IP address accordingly) with same result. :) Is having the same username on both machines (grandpa & grandma) a problem? Should I have put the machine host name somewhere in the command :hmm: So very close - must be just a little nudge needed now :thumbsup: Looking forward to the next suggestion :thumbsup: Thanks again for your patience :thumbsup: :D Grogerf

Hi Groger

Is having the same username on both machines (grandpa & grandma) a problem?
Nope . . no problem.
Should I have put the machine host name somewhere in the command
No . . not needed . . . ;)Maybe try this: reboot and give the command:
# ssh -Y xxx.xxx.x.x5

and see if that logs you in on the remote system. ( asks for password and changes to user-prompt );) Bruno

Regarding firewall - I set up security as 'normal' on both machines when installing Mandriva 2008 - apart from that I haven't done anything to set up a firewall.
Have you enabled the Firewall for SSH Server Grogerf ? If not please do...MCC >> Security >> Personal Firewall >> Tick SSH Server on both machines Edited by Anil

Yep that reminds me . . . I removed "mandi" and "iptables" after the install . . . . Maybe since you are behind a router you should do that too: go to the MCC and remove the following packages ( if any of those are installed ):iptablesmandimandi-ifwshorewallThen try the ssh again . . . ;) Bruno

Hi GrogerNope . . no problem. No . . not needed . . . ;)Maybe try this: reboot and give the command:
# ssh -Y xxx.xxx.x.x5

and see if that logs you in on the remote system. ( asks for password and changes to user-prompt ):D Bruno

Hallo Bruno :D ;) I assumed that you meant me to try the command from machine #2 - so I tried from machine # 2 (grandma) first this is what happened:-[root@grandma roger]# ssh -Y xxx.xxx.x.x5ssh: connect to host xxx.xxx.x.x5 port 22: Connection refusedthen I tried the command changing the IP address to .x4 this is what happened:-[root@grandma roger]# ssh -Y xxx.xxx.x.x4ssh: connect to host xxx.xxx.x.x4 port 22: Connection timed out[root@grandma roger]#Finally I tried the command from Machine #1 (grandpa) this is what happened :-[root@grandpa roger]# ssh -Y xxx.xxx.x.x5ssh: connect to host xxx.xxx.x.x5 port 22: Connection timed out[root@grandpa roger]#I tried to cover all the posibilities of using that command- but it still didn't work B) And I thought that we were oh so close that it wouldn't need much :( Looking forward to really nailing it :thumbsup: :rolleyes: Thanks again for your persistence Bruno :thumbsup: :( Grogerf Edited by Grogerf

Have you enabled the Firewall for SSH Server Grogerf ? If not please do...MCC >> Security >> Personal Firewall >> Tick SSH Server on both machines
Hallo Anil,Thanks for your suggestion ;) I can see the reasons for putting the firewall there :thumbsup: ,However at the moment SSH isn't working :rolleyes: so I don't think that I'll need a firewall until it does work.Once SSH is running I'll do what you suggest if the hardware firewall in the ADSL modem isn't sufficient :thumbsup: :( Groger

Hi Grogerf

Regarding firewall - I set up security as 'normal' on both machines when installing Mandriva 2008
I am not suggesting to put a firewall . When you chose security as normal in Mandriva 2008, firewall is already there !! What you should do is to put hole in it so that SSH Server can function. For doing that you can go to MCC >> Security >> Personal Firewall >> Tick SSH Server on both machines.(If it is not ticked already)Hope this helps ;) Edited by Anil

Hi GrogerfI am not suggesting to put a firewall . When you chose security as normal in Mandriva 2008, firewall is already there !! What you should do is to put hole in it so that SSH Server can function. For doing that you can go to MCC >> Security >> Personal Firewall >> Tick SSH Server on both machines.(If it is not ticked already)Hope this helps :rolleyes:
Hallo Anil :( ,Thanks for your post :thumbsup: Maybe I'm getting confused :thumbsup: , but when I go to MCC>> Security>>Personal Firewall it says at the top of the box "Which services would you like to allow the Internet to connect to"In my situation I don't want the Internet to connect to the SSH server - I only want it to be open for local use - I don't want it to be open to the Internet ;) Did I misinterpret what the MCC will do if I tick the box for SSH?Looking forward to more enlightenment!Grogerf

Hi GrogerSome of these packages are installed and running by default in 2008: iptablesmandimandi-ifwshorewallplease remove/uninstall them . . or go in the MCC --> Services and make them stop running at boot. They prevent you to access the local network using FTP and SSH. ;);) Bruno

Hi GrogerSome of these packages are installed and running by default in 2008: iptablesmandimandi-ifwshorewallplease remove/uninstall them . . or go in the MCC --> Services and make them stop running at boot. They prevent you to access the local network using FTP and SSH. ;)B) Bruno
Hallo Bruno :D :D We're there now :D , on machine #1 I removed all four packages using the MCC. :hysterical: Then on machine #2 I did # ssh -Y xxx.xxx.x.x4 B) The first time it said that a permanent addition had been added and asked for the root password of machine #1 :hmm: I entered the root password, but permission was denied :'( :'( I closed the terminal and tried again :-[roger@grandma ~]$ suPassword:[root@grandma roger]# ssh -Y xxx.xxx.x.x4root@xxx.xxx.x.x4's password:Permission denied, please try again.root@xxx.xxx.x.x4's password:How is it that the root password for machine #1 isn't accepted? :hmm: Maybe because root log-in isn't allowed? :hmm: OKI logged out of the terminal and opened Konqeror and tried sftp://xxx.xxx.x.x4/SUCCESS :D :D :D :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Bruno - you've worked another great success :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :rolleyes: Thank you Bruno :D :D As usual. a couple of questions :'( 1. now that sftp is working should I go back to plain old vanilla ftp to make things simpler?2. Will I able to get the printers working from machine #2 using CUPS with sftp or doesn't it matter?Thanks again Bruno :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Grogerf Edited by Grogerf

The printers : easiest is to hook them up with an ethernet cable to the router. Then use the ipp://192.168.x.x:631 format from within the Print Manager (KDE) to set it up and off you go !

Great Groger . . . . Finally good news :hysterical: . . . B) Okay . . . to some of the issues/questions:- If you do "ssh -Y xxx.xxx.x.x4", even from the root prompt it will ask you for the user password of the user on the remote system. ( same as "ssh grogerf@xxx.xxx.x.x4 will ask you for the password of grogerf :thumbsup: )- So now we know that the "mandi" package was blocking the ports we needed for proftp, vsftp, and ssh. In 2008 it is the first time that "mandi" was installed by default and I completely had forgotten that I removed it directly after the install.

now that sftp is working should I go back to plain old vanilla ftp to make things simpler?
Now that ssh is working you have the luxury of a broad collection of tools to choose from:proftpvsftpscp ( secure copy to remote system on the commandline ** )ssh ( secure login on the remote system )fish ( you have to try this one, just to see how good it works *** )The choice is yours :thumbsup:** scp is a combination of ssh and cp . . and works like this: ( in a terminal )
# scp bruno@10.0.0.154:Desktop/ssh.txt /home/bruno/Desktop/

This copies a file named ssh.txt from the remote /home/bruno/Desktop to the /home/bruno/Desktop of the computer I type this on. *** fish works like this: type in the addressbar of konqueror:

fish://grogerf@xxx.xxx.x.x4

NOTE: fish only works with konqueror !:thumbsup: Bruno

The printers : easiest is to hook them up with an ethernet cable to the router. Then use the ipp://192.168.x.x:631 format from within the Print Manager (KDE) to set it up and off you go !
Hallo striker :) :( Thanks for your reply :D Ah you have the modern printer with Ethernet! My old Epson color 600 still works fine, I can get ink - and it connects to a parallel port :thumbsup: The HP is a newish all in one printer/scanner, but it connect to a PC via a USB port & doesn't have an Ethernet connection. The good news is both printers are now available on machine #2 (grandma) via CUPS and it's transparent to the user and no additional hardware :thumbsup: :thumbsup:I haven't fiddled with getting the scanner part to work on machine #2 yet - that's a way down on the priority list.Grogerf
Great Groger . . . . Finally good news :wacko: . . . ;) Okay . . . to some of the issues/questions:- If you do "ssh -Y xxx.xxx.x.x4", even from the root prompt it will ask you for the user password of the user on the remote system. ( same as "ssh grogerf@xxx.xxx.x.x4 will ask you for the password of grogerf ;) )- So now we know that the "mandi" package was blocking the ports we needed for proftp, vsftp, and ssh. In 2008 it is the first time that "mandi" was installed by default and I completely had forgotten that I removed it directly after the install. Now that ssh is working you have the luxury of a broad collection of tools to choose from:proftpvsftpscp ( secure copy to remote system on the commandline ** )ssh ( secure login on the remote system )fish ( you have to try this one, just to see how good it works *** )The choice is yours :D** scp is a combination of ssh and cp . . and works like this: ( in a terminal )
# scp bruno@10.0.0.154:Desktop/ssh.txt /home/bruno/Desktop/

This copies a file named ssh.txt from the remote /home/bruno/Desktop to the /home/bruno/Desktop of the computer I type this on. ** fish works like this: type in the addressbar of konqueror:

fish://grogerf@xxx.xxx.x.x4

NOTE: fish only works with konqueror !B) Bruno

Hallo Bruno :D :D Thanks for your reply :thumbsup: :thumbsup: . Now I can have some fun time playing with a few different methods :rolleyes: :thumbsup: :rolleyes: Where to start? We'll see how long this takes for me to decide on the 'best' :) Grogerf

Now I can have some fun time playing with a few different methods :) :thumbsup: :( Where to start? We'll see how long this takes for me to decide on the 'best' :wacko: Grogerf
sftp, scp, ssh, fish all these tools are loads of fun . . . . here is an article that explains the basics of it: http://www.linux.com/articles/113929But remember: if anything changes in your local LAN setup ( different distro, upgrqade, new IP address ) you might have to have a look at the "/home/grogerf/.ssh" directory, there is a file called "known_hosts" . . . it has the "RSA key fingerprint" that may not match the new setup. Simply deleting that file can solve the problem because a new "RSA key fingerprint" will be generated and stored in the new made "known_hosts" file. ( have a look at that file in an editor and you will see what I mean ):thumbsup: Bruno

sftp, scp, ssh, fish all these tools are loads of fun . . . . here is an article that explains the basics of it: http://www.linux.com/articles/113929But remember: if anything changes in your local LAN setup ( different distro, upgrqade, new IP address ) you might have to have a look at the "/home/grogerf/.ssh" directory, there is a file called "known_hosts" . . . it has the "RSA key fingerprint" that may not match the new setup. Simply deleting that file can solve the problem because a new "RSA key fingerprint" will be generated and stored in the new made "known_hosts" file. ( have a look at that file in an editor and you will see what I mean )B) Bruno
Hallo Bruno :D :D ,Thanks for your reply :thumbsup: I'm digesting the article now :) :) - think I'll need some coffee to complete the process :thumbsup: :) Glad to have the printers working from both machines - It was really easy using CUPS :thumbsup: Grogerf