Downloading Slackware 12 As I Type This...

V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

OK, reinstalled Slack 12 using the huge-2.6.21.5 kernel instead of the default huge-smp-2.6.21.5-smp kernel. Set up CUPS (KDE print failed) with HP printer on LPT1. Printer works fine now. :)Much work to do yet to get Slack back to normal. I'll keep you posted.G'night...

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• V.T. Eric Layton

• striker

• Bruno

• steel

OK, reinstalled Slack 12 using the huge-2.6.21.5 kernel instead of the default huge-smp-2.6.21.5-smp kernel.
That does sound simple enough . . . . . B) . . . glad the printer works Eric !:hmm: Bruno

OK, reinstalled Slack 12 using the huge-2.6.21.5 kernel instead of the default huge-smp-2.6.21.5-smp kernel.
Tenacious E strikes again! B) But... a great piece of advice here:
Get a simple USB hub . . . . that will give you the luxury of a few extra ports :D
Soon it's gonna be "season's-greetings-time"... you're gonna need one of these:usbchristmastree1av4.gifNot to mention... I just know that one of these days you're gonna build yourself a USB stick RAID system. :hmm:

OK, reinstalled Slack 12 using the huge-2.6.21.5 kernel instead of the default huge-smp-2.6.21.5-smp kernel. Set up CUPS (KDE print failed) with HP printer on LPT1. Printer works fine now. :)Much work to do yet to get Slack back to normal. I'll keep you posted.G'night...
B) Hi, Eric good to see that you've got the printer working!

V.T. Eric Layton

Well, now I can't get NVIDIA installed. :( It's an issue with modules, I believe. I'm going to have to figure out how to install the kernel modules for this kernel. I'll play with it later tonight. I already untarred the kernel source into /usr/src and created the symlink. Now I just have to figure out the procedures for creating the modules. I've done this before... just going to have to reseach my notes. A project for tonight when I get home from work. B)

V.T. Eric Layton

OKEE-DOKEE...I had to reinstall one more time this morning because I trashed the installation while trying to install my modules last night. No biggie. It's up, running, rocking and rolling... everything seems to work: Nvidia, hdparm, swaret, printer, ALSA, etc.YAY! :)I just have to add a few apps and set them up and I'll be alright with Slack 12 for a while. Once again... a learning experience. :)By the way, for those of you who are having troubles installing kernel modules on Slack 12, there's a reason...Slack 12 installs the SMP modules by default, regardless of which kernel you choose to install with. Therefore, I had the huge.s kernel with SMP modules. I could not install Nvidia that way.Solution: Go to the DVD/CD --> /extras/linux-2.6... and look for the script "patch-to-non-smp.sh". Run this script:

#./patch-to-non-smp.sh

This will replace your SMP modules with standard modules. And Voila! You can install Nvidia and other apps now.The information on how to do this was provided by Pat V. in the README in the /extras directory on the DVD/CD. READ THOSE READMEs... they provide an awful lot of great time-saving information. The above method sure beat the heck out of manually installing and configuring modules.Have FUN! :thumbsup:

Hi Eric . . . . . Glad all is well and you are now a happy 12.0 slacker . . . :thumbsup:

READ THOSE READMEs... they provide an awful lot of great time-saving information.
LOL . . . good point . . . the READMEs are there for a reason :PB) Bruno

V.T. Eric Layton

OK, it's a done deal. Everything is installed and working in Slack 12. I'm a HAPPY SLACKER once again. :)And by the way... Slack is back to being the FASTEST distro I have on my system. This huge.s kernel is the one for me! :D

OK, it's a done deal. Everything is installed and working in Slack 12. I'm a HAPPY SLACKER once again. :)And by the way... Slack is back to being the FASTEST distro I have on my system. This huge.s kernel is the one for me! :)
:D . . . :w00t: . . . :clap: . . . :w00t: Bruno

Eric : shall I add the HP Deskjet 842C / parallel > slackware 12 to the supported printers thread ? If so, what driver did you use exactly ? :D

V.T. Eric Layton

Sure, Striker... it's working.I used hpjis (recommended) this time. On Slack 11, I was using CUPS-Gimp Print, though.

V.T. Eric Layton

Had to make one more adjustment tonight...I had to remove the SwareT version of Java JRE and manually install the SUN version from their website. My OpenOffice required this newer version to export spreadsheat files as .html. No biggie... all's well. ;)

V.T. Eric Layton

I've noticed an interesting thing with Slack 12...My system standby actually works. In Slack 11 my screensaver would come on, then the system would shut down my monitor after 30 mins, as I had it set to, but later the monitor would power back up with frozen screensaver on it. I could bump the mouse and everything would be normal, but the monitor never really shut down. With Slack 12, it does shut down and stays off till I bump the mouse. COOL! :hysterical: