Downloading Slackware 12 As I Type This...

V.T. Eric Layton

That's great for the command line, Quint, but I don't think it'll print in graphical mode that way... not without CUPS or HPLIPS running and set up. :(
Just follow the links ... everything you need is there.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• V.T. Eric Layton

• striker

• Bruno

• steel

V.T. Eric Layton

Followed all the links. Did it numerous different ways. STILL WON'T PRINT! :(Something is NOT right here, I think. CUPS and my HP 842 C were easy breezy to set up in Slack 11. What's up in 12? I have configured and reconfigured CUPS 20 different ways. NOTHING is working. I'm beginning to lose my patience. :(

I had the same reaction last Spring trying to figure out a simple USB mouse. I have downloaded and burnt Slack 12 CD 2 and 3 and I am downloading 4-5 and 6 but after 4 downloads of CD 1 from 3 different mirrors the md5sum still doesn't match.So what is the big fuss with Slackware anyway?

Eric :A couple of things to check, maybe they help :- is CUPS installed- is the CUPS service running- printer at USB port connected > powered on > start browser > address bar : http://localhost:631/- if it fails to connect : close browser > start button > Print System > Print Manager > Administrator button- if start button > Print System > Print Manager is not available : KDE Control Center > Desktop > Panels > tab Menus > in K Menu check Print System > click Apply > repeat previous stepOnce the printer has been added, in the Print Manager are four tabs; check the settings on all those tabs, if necessary correct them. Finally on tab Instances : Set the printer as Default, click Setting and recheck all settings, click the Test button and see what happens. Be sure to set the button at the right of ' Print System currently used' to CUPS, otherwise it doesn't work at all.When the printer spits out its test page, at the top of the screen you' ll see your printer mentioned.Right click on that one and select either 'set as system default' or ' set as user default' : the printers name then changes to be in fat italic characters. You're done.The HP Deskjet 842 should be fully supported out of the box (for years now), the appropriate driver should be in the database CUPS sets up, so all you have to do is select it in there and using the above mini manual to get it going basically.If that goes OK you can start to fiddle around with the other utils you want but for now - just to get you going - I would leave them out.

Here's a little something I found:http://forum.hardware.fr/hfr/OSAlternatifs...jet_63958_1.htm

Je viens d'installer Linux Slackware 12 sur mon PC, virant au passage la 11. Je fais une install complète de A, AP, D, L, N excepté tout ce qui est graphique ou qui me sert à rien : E, F, K, KDE, KDEI, T, TCL, X, XAP, Y et que je n'installe pas.
No "package X"... wasn't needed for cups in "11":
Avec Slackware 11, ces packages étaient suffisant pour utiliser CUPS et je vois pas pourquoi ce serait plus le cas maintenant
... but CUPS no worky in "12".
En résumé, pour cette version de CUPS, il faut installer des packages de la section X : libXt, libXext, libX11, fontconfig, libSM, libICE, libXau, libxcb et libXdmcp
Could this be it? :(

V.T. Eric Layton

@ Striker... My printer is on LPT1. I've attempted to install it using CUPS (through the web interface and the command line) and with the KDE wizard. The printer gets installed, recognized, and configured, but will NOT print anything. I get an error like this:E [11/Oct/2007:10:32:24 -0400] Unknown directive error: on line 421.and E [11/Oct/2007:10:32:24 -0400] Unable to set ACLs on root certificate "/var/run/cups/certs/0" - Operation not supported.Printer works fine with CUPS in all other distros except Vector. I found out last night that it doesn't work in Vector for some reason, but that's a problem for another day. I need to get it working in Slack. That's the priority because it's my primary distro.@ Urmas... I don't speak French. What is happening there. Is it saying that those libs are necessary? I have EVERYTHING installed from the Slack DVD, so I should have those libs installed already.*sigh* I don't have any time to play with this today. Maybe I can continue to work with it later this evening when I get home from work. I feel an Irish jig coming on. :(

V.T. Eric Layton

Also note:hplip and CUPS are both installed and running. hplip starts before CUPS, as it should.-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 4548 2007-05-09 17:28 rc.cups-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 4777 2007-06-10 01:14 rc.hplipI just set up everything again and I receive "ERROR: Quota limit reached" when trying to print a test page from within CUPS.This error in the log may be an issue:N [11/Oct/2007:10:32:24 -0400] Group and SystemGroup cannot use the same groups!I [11/Oct/2007:10:32:24 -0400] Resetting Group to "nobody"...I'm going to go check something and reboot.Back in a minute...

V.T. Eric Layton

New errors in log after last attempt:

I [11/Oct/2007:11:14:18 -0400] Adding start banner page "none" to job 34.I [11/Oct/2007:11:14:18 -0400] Adding end banner page "none" to job 34.I [11/Oct/2007:11:14:18 -0400] Job 34 queued on "Printer" by "vtel57".I [11/Oct/2007:11:14:18 -0400] Started filter /usr/lib/cups/filter/pstops (PID 3428) for job 34.I [11/Oct/2007:11:14:18 -0400] Started filter /usr/lib/cups/filter/foomatic-rip (PID 3429) for job 34.I [11/Oct/2007:11:14:18 -0400] Started backend /usr/lib/cups/backend/parallel (PID 3430) for job 34.E [11/Oct/2007:11:14:18 -0400] [Job 34] Unable to open parallel port device file "/dev/lp0": Permission deniedE [11/Oct/2007:11:14:18 -0400] PID 3430 (/usr/lib/cups/backend/parallel) stopped with status 1!I [11/Oct/2007:11:14:18 -0400] Hint: Try setting the LogLevel to "debug" to find out more.E [11/Oct/2007:11:14:21 -0400] PID 3429 (/usr/lib/cups/filter/foomatic-rip) stopped with status 9!I [11/Oct/2007:11:14:21 -0400] Hint: Try setting the LogLevel to "debug" to find out more.I [11/Oct/2007:11:14:21 -0400] [Job 34] Backend returned status 1 (failed)I [11/Oct/2007:11:14:21 -0400] Saving printers.conf...I [11/Oct/2007:11:14:41 -0400] Job 34 was canceled by "vtel57".
So, any ideas? :(

Hi Eric,Since I've not had any problem with this in Slackware on any of my PC's, this puzzled me to the point where I installed a fresh version of Slack 12 on my test PC. The result was:

Perfectly printed pages! (HP PSC 1315)
I did not even have to use the CUPS website. Just: ControlCenter > Peripherals > Printers > Administrator's Mode.I don't know what to advise ... :(

V.T. Eric Layton

Made some more changes... more errors:

E [11/Oct/2007:11:32:42 -0400] PID 3850 (/usr/lib/cups/backend/parallel) stopped with status 1!E [11/Oct/2007:11:32:42 -0400] [Job 37] Unable to open parallel port device file "/dev/lp0": Permission deniedE [11/Oct/2007:11:32:43 -0400] PID 3849 (/usr/lib/cups/filter/foomatic-rip) stopped with status 9!
Well, pretty soon I'll be taking out my Slackware 11.0 disks. THIS kind of crap is exactly the reason I didn't want to upgrade. If it ain't broke, don't FIX it. On top of all this, I think my Slack 11 was much faster than 12 is. Doesn't that stink?! :(

@ Urmas... I don't speak French. What is happening there. Is it saying that those libs are necessary? I have EVERYTHING installed from the Slack DVD, so I should have those libs installed already.
Yes, those are necessary... CUPS is "tied" to fonts... and fonts "tied" to them packages (unlike with previous Slackware versions with "older" Xorg). Or so they say. :( Edited by Urmas

V.T. Eric Layton

Well, everything on that list is installed. :(This is annoying. I spent hours on GOOGLE last night searching for answers. I'm tired. If I can't solve this later this evening, I'll probably wipe 12 and reinstall 11. :(Later... Oh, and thanks for the help and suggestions, everyone!

Yes, those are necessary... CUPS is "tied" to fonts... and fonts "tied" to them packages (unlike with previous Slackware versions with "older" Xorg). Or so they say. :(
I can assure you that I added nothing additional ... just the entire set of install packages from the Slackware 12.0 DVD, downloaded from "NLUUG".Hope you figure it out.

V.T. Eric Layton

Quint,I have the feeling it's something stupid. I'll just have to step away from it for a while. I'm too close and aggravated right now. We'll see how things go this evening when I get home from work.I'm in Debian for the time being.

Just: ControlCenter > Peripherals > Printers > Administrator's Mode.
Same thing here . . . . same printer too ( HP PSC 1315 ):( Bruno

I've perused the slack forums today and I've seen tons of problems with HAL, but that's another story.The printer : Access to the parallel port is denied, therefore you can't print. That is what was in the error messages. (Lprng comes to mind)The Deskjet 842 has USB capability. Take a USB cable and try it. Remove the whole printer set up as it is now. Then yank out the parallel cable, connect the printer with an USB cable, power on the 842 and try it, either with the method Quint suggested or with the one I posted above. :(

V.T. Eric Layton
The Deskjet 842 has USB capability. Take a USB cable and try it. Remove the whole printer set up as it is now. Then yank out the parallel cable, connect the printer with an USB cable, power on the 842 and try it, either with the method Quint suggested or with the one I posted above. :offtopic:
Nah... too much trouble. It would be easier to go back to Slack 11. :rolleyes: I found some more info from others who seem to be having printer issues. I'm going to try a few things... up to and possibly including compiling CUPS from source. That worked for one guy who had an HP in Slack 12 and was having the exact same problems I'm having. I'm gonna' snoop around and make some changes here and there. I'll keep you posted...

V.T. Eric Layton

OK, I compiled CUPs from source. I compiled HPLIP from source. I've done just about all I can with this and it still will NOT print. I give up. I'll use Debian as my primary for a while... until I have time to reinstall Slack 11 and reconfigure it. Well, I can't say I'm very happy with my Slack 12 adventure. It started out pretty nice, but one ****** bug like this printer thing can just drive you nuts and ruin an entire distro for you. I sure hope I can get Slack 11 up and working without any problems. :(Later...

Then yank out the parallel cable, connect the printer with an USB cable
I think that in future releases this will be the way to connect your printer and avoid problems Eric.:offtopic: Bruno

V.T. Eric Layton

Yes, I was ROOT at while attempting set-up. It wouldn't let me do it any other way.Anyway... it's an old printer and needs to be upgraded one of these days. I'm sure the new one will be USB. Everything else is these days, as you say, Bruno. However, what aggravates me is that is USED TO WORK in 11.0, and still does in all my other distros (except Vector, which seems to have the same problem).Is it possible that this kernel doesn't provide parallel port drivers? How can I find/install them?

V.T. Eric Layton

Hmm... well, I've reinstalled the original CUPS and HPLIP via SwareT. I don't think that's going to fix anything, but since my own compiled versions didn't work, why have them installed?I'm thinking that on my days off this coming week that I might attempt a custom kernel compile for Slack 12. I might be able to solve this issue that way. Can't hurt to try. Right? I did it with Zen. I can do it with Slack.We'll see...

V.T. Eric Layton

OK... three interesting errors now:E [12/Oct/2007:11:47:28 -0400] [Job 43] Unable to open parallel port device file "/dev/lp0": Permission deniedE [12/Oct/2007:11:47:28 -0400] PID 3461 (/usr/lib/cups/backend/parallel) stopped with status 1!E [12/Oct/2007:11:47:31 -0400] PID 3460 (/usr/lib/cups/filter/foomatic-rip) stopped with status 9!There's a hint in there somewhere. I wonder what it is??? :whistling:

Eric, like I said before above 'Lprng' . Is that installed, otherwise search for Lp in connection with print / printer.Why are you stubborn and don't try a USB cable ? Can you explain Eric ?http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping...=#defaultAnchorYou see : parallel and USB. So what's up ?I've used the 840C which came just before it for a couple of years with USB, in win and linux without any problems. :whistling:

V.T. Eric Layton
Why are you stubborn and don't try a USB cable ? Can you explain Eric ?
1) The way my system is physically set up in this room, I would have to disassemble everything and move the desk to get behind the unit to change out the cables.2) I don't have any rear USBs available. I'd have to use the front ones for something, and I don't want those cables hanging out all over the front of my desk.3) I'm stubborn about it because the ****** thing has worked fine with LPT1 on every distro I've ever installed on this system. Why can't it work with Slack 12?:whistling:

V.T. Eric Layton

Lprng is installed.Also, I've read a few posts here and there that claim there may be udev permission issues causing this. This is all getting beyond my skill level, I'm afraid. :whistling:

2) I don't have any rear USBs available. I'd have to use the front ones for something, and I don't want those cables hanging out all over the front of my desk.
Get a simple USB hub . . . . that will give you the luxury of a few extra ports :whistling:
Also, I've read a few posts here and there that claim there may be udev permission issues causing this. This is all getting beyond my skill level, I'm afraid. :hysterical:
Personally I hate udev from the moment they introduced it . . . . so I will not be able to help.I do have a nice link for you though http://www.reactivated.net/writing_udev_rules.html ( if you have much time to spare you could dig into it :DB) Bruno

V.T. Eric Layton

Hmm... udev is a bit beyond me, currently. I'm thinking that when I get home this evening, I'm just going to reinstall Slack 12 and see if this solves the problem. If not, I'll attempt to go back to Slack 11, I suppose. I really don't want to go to USB for this printer because not only would I have to rearrange my set-up here to physically hook the USB up for the printer, but I'd have to set up ALL my other operating systems (including Windblows) to work with the printer via USB. There's no guarantee that other distros won't have a problem setting up the printer that way. I'd rather not create more problems for my other operating systems to fix this problem with Slack.I'll work it out one way or another...