Show Us Your GNU/Linux Desktop

V.T. Eric Layton

securitybreach

BTW if you noticed on the top right on the screenshot where it says

[sudo] password for comhack:

Please touch the device.

I have 2 factor authentication for my sudo password using a yubikey. Basically you plug the yubikey into a usb port and when you touch it. the key generates a one time password as a 2nd form of authentication. If you lose the key, you have to jump through some major hoops to get Yubikey to give you access to a reset code and even then, the key will not be any good. I use it for a few different things and it is nice and flat so you can just leave it in your wallet so its always handy..

A buddy of mine made this tutorial walking you through setting up Archlinux with a u2f device like the Yubikey: https://blog.jamesth...-and-u2f-login/

• Like 1

BTW if you noticed on the top right on the screenshot where it says

[sudo] password for comhack:

Please touch the device.

I have 2 factor authentication for my sudo password using a yubikey. Basically you plug the yubikey into a usb port and when you touch it. the key generates a one time password as a 2nd form of authentication. If you lose the key, you have to jump through some major hoops to get Yubikey to give you access to a reset code and even then, the key will not be any good. I use it for a few different things and it is nice and flat so you can just leave it in your wallet so its always handy..

A buddy of mine made this tutorial walking you through setting up Archlinux with a u2f device like the Yubikey: https://blog.jamesth...-and-u2f-login/

Thanks for the linky. Is your Yubikey just a U2F one ? :breakfast:

Thanks for the linky. Is your Yubikey just a U2F one ? :breakfast:

All of the Yubi keys are U2F along with other types: https://www.yubico.c...bikey-hardware/.

I have the Yubikey 4 and that one does not include NFC but I figured that it would be even more secure without NFC enabled anyway.

Ah right I thought you would have the more versatile version. They are bringing out a USB-C version next month. If I have any spare cash I might buy a couple along with a adapter for when I travel.

Have you seen this rival

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1048259057/openkey-the-two-factor-authentication-and-password/description

They could do with a case but otherwise it seems a neat alternative. :breakfast:

• Like 1

securitybreach

I may end up buying the new USB-C Yubikey as well when it comes out. I have been using my Yubikey 4 for over a year and I absolutely love it. Even moreso now that I have it set as 2 factor authentication for my main computer.

securitybreach

So if you buy the USB-C will you be able to copy over all the info from your present key so you have two keys set up the same ? :breakfast:

No, you cannot copy anything from the yubikey. I would just have to set up a new one.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hmm... I didn't stick to that for very long at all... :shrug:

I'm back on the lighter side of things already.

8WclyvBm.png

I am so indecisive! :teehee:

Well you have made two decisions in the last two posts,,,,,,,so not so indecisive. :laugh:

• Like 1

securitybreach

8WclyvBm.png

Well you have made two decisions in the last two posts,,,,,,,so not so indecisive. :laugh:

But what if they are multiple personalities....

8WclyvBm.png

Darn I had not thought of that. Oh no ! what if they are from different realities too. :alien:

• Like 1

8WclyvBm.png

Darn I had not thought of that. Oh no ! what if they are from different realities too. :alien:

Weak points in the fabric of space-time would probably explain why my counterpart from the Dark Side keeps slipping through :ph34r: :hysterical:

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Been using Plasma 5 for a while, but ended up switching to Mate this morning... KDE is awesome, but I prefer the simpler stuff every now and again...

YBUsR3uj.png

Ps. My desktop was getting a bit cluttered, so I just dumped everything into one folder... out of sight, out of mind :D , let's just hope I don't forget what's in there...

Edited by Dr. J
  • Like 1