Can't boot into anything

SueD

V.T. Eric Layton

I have email notifications turned on for threads that I participate in here at ATL. I can always tell when something good is cooking when I go to my Inbox and it has 33 message notifications from just a couple threads. Y'all have been busy! :(

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SueD

• Bruno

• V.T. Eric Layton

• striker

Great . . .Nice job !!Now a few questions so we are fully prepared before you do the next step:- You installed Slackware again on hdb1 ?- Can you post "ls -al /boot" and "cat /etc/lilo.conf" ?- On what partition(s) are you planning to install Mandriva ?:P Bruno

- You installed Slackware again on hdb1 ? Yes

sue@localhost:~$ ls -al /boottotal 3908drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2007-06-01 15:03 ./drwxr-xr-x 19 root root 4096 2007-06-01 21:15 ../lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 37 2007-06-01 14:18 README.initrd -> /usr/doc/mkinitrd-1.0.1/README.initrd-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 612778 2007-06-01 15:02 System.map-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 629105 2006-09-01 02:51 System.map-ide-2.4.33.3-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 512 2007-06-01 15:03 boot.0300-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 209 2007-06-01 15:03 boot_message.txt-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 41810 2007-06-01 15:02 config-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 41810 2006-09-01 02:51 config-ide-2.4.33.3-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 5032 2006-08-08 01:34 diag1.img-rw------- 1 root root 30720 2007-06-01 15:03 map-r-------- 1 root root 1276633 2007-06-01 15:02 vmlinuz-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1313255 2006-09-01 02:51 vmlinuz-ide-2.4.33.3sue@localhost:~$ cat /etc/lilo.conf# LILO configuration file# generated by 'liloconfig'## Start LILO global sectionboot = /dev/hdamessage = /boot/boot_message.txtprompttimeout = 1200# Override dangerous defaults that rewrite the partition table:change-rules reset# VESA framebuffer console @ 1024x768x256vga = 773# Normal VGA console# vga = normal# VESA framebuffer console @ 1024x768x64k# vga=791# VESA framebuffer console @ 1024x768x32k# vga=790# VESA framebuffer console @ 1024x768x256# vga=773# VESA framebuffer console @ 800x600x64k# vga=788# VESA framebuffer console @ 800x600x32k# vga=787# VESA framebuffer console @ 800x600x256# vga=771# VESA framebuffer console @ 640x480x64k# vga=785# VESA framebuffer console @ 640x480x32k# vga=784# VESA framebuffer console @ 640x480x256# vga=769# End LILO global section# Windows bootable partition config beginsother = /dev/hda1 label = Windows table = /dev/hda# Windows bootable partition config ends# Linux bootable partition config beginsimage = /boot/vmlinuz root = /dev/hdb1 label = Linux read-only# Linux bootable partition config ends
I plan on putting Mandriva on hdb7.

Okay the above will help me to post you the stuff to add Mandriva to the bootloader later, thanks.

I plan on putting Mandriva on hdb7.
Excellent . . . now in any case make sure you do not touch hdb1 at all. Install ALL in hdb7 also the bootloader and after the install do not attempt to boot Mandriva . . . . just return to your Slackware and wait for instructions :P Do not copy any files yet.B) Bruno

Okey dokes.Before I do that, I've got a question....when the install's over and it asks me if I want to do updates now, do I say yes or no?

Okey dokes.Before I do that, I've got a question....when the install's over and it asks me if I want to do updates now, do I say yes or no?
You say "no" . . . it is a useless question of the installer because there are no sources yet configured so getting updates is not even possible :P So why they ever did put in that screen puzzles me . . . B) Bruno

You say "no" . . . it is a useless question of the installer because there are no sources yet configured so getting updates is not even possible :P So why they ever did put in that screen puzzles me . . . B) Bruno
Okey dokes! :)

It keeps trying to install to hbd1 and hdb6 (which are currently being used by Slackware). I don't know why but I know I set hdb6 as /home but it's showing as /usr instead. If I've cocked up my Slack install, you'd best tell me now so I can reinstall it. If it's fine, what do I put for hdb7?

You should be able to set all those hda/hdb boxes to "blank" ( nothing, empty ) . . . . and only set hdb7 to /:P Bruno

You should be able to set all those hda/hdb boxes to "blank" ( nothing, empty ) . . . . and only set hdb7 to /:P Bruno
Phew!

I hope it was not to late . . . . was it ??Anyway you can always bail out of an install at anytime with Ctrl+Alt+Del :P . . And start again when you know what to do.B) Bruno

No, it wasn't too late. I had galavnting to do earlier so I wasn't home to continue. Things are going well now. B)
Good . . . in that case I am re-assured and can briefly go out for a drink . . . . see you later ;):P Burno

Great !Here are the changes to the lilo.conf of Slackware: ( in BLUE )

# LILO configuration file# generated by 'liloconfig'## Start LILO global sectionboot = /dev/hdamessage = /boot/boot_message.txtprompttimeout = 1200# Override dangerous defaults that rewrite the partition table:change-rules reset# VESA framebuffer console @ 1024x768x256vga = 773# Normal VGA console# vga = normal# VESA framebuffer console @ 1024x768x64k# vga=791# VESA framebuffer console @ 1024x768x32k# vga=790# VESA framebuffer console @ 1024x768x256# vga=773# VESA framebuffer console @ 800x600x64k# vga=788# VESA framebuffer console @ 800x600x32k# vga=787# VESA framebuffer console @ 800x600x256# vga=771# VESA framebuffer console @ 640x480x64k# vga=785# VESA framebuffer console @ 640x480x32k# vga=784# VESA framebuffer console @ 640x480x256# vga=769# End LILO global section# Windows bootable partition config beginsother = /dev/hda1 label = Windows table = /dev/hda# Windows bootable partition config ends# Linux bootable partition config beginsimage = /boot/vmlinuz root = /dev/hdb1 label = Slackware read-onlyother = /dev/hdb7 label = Mandriva# Linux bootable partition config ends
After that do:
# /sbin/lilo

and show me the outputB) Bruno

root@localhost:/etc# /sbin/liloWarning: The boot sector and map file are on different disks.Added Windows *Added SlackwareAdded Mandriva

Looks promissing !Now reboot and choose Mandriva from the bootmenu and tell me what happens ;):whistling: Bruno

I rebooted, came to Slackware's bootloader, clicked on Mandriva which brought me to Mandriva's bootloader (the options were Mandriva, Safe Mode and Windows....not quite worded that way.LOL). Clicked on Mandrva and was at the First Boot Wizard.And I'm online in it now!

Brilliant . . . we did it . . . you have your multiboot.Sure you get 2 bootloaders ( first Slack and then Mandriva ) when you choose to boot Mandriva . . but we can change that if you want to. We can set the "timeout" on the Mandriva bootloader to zero ( you will not see it at all ) or to one second ( you will barely see it, but just enough to intervene in time of emergency )So let me know: zero or one ?:whistling: Bruno

Yippee! I couldn't have done it without your help. Sorry I made you cross the 30k line, though.One second would be good. I'm quick if I have to be in an emergency.

Sorry I made you cross the 30k line, though.
I was almost thinking you did it on purpose :whistling:
One second would be good. I'm quick if I have to be in an emergency.
Did you go for the default bootloader during the Mandriva install ( Grub ) or did you change it to Lilo ?( Grub has the graphical bootloader, Lilo has the text one like Slack )If it is Grub ( the default ) show
# cat /boot/grub/menu.lst

If it is lilo please show

# cat /etc/lilo.conf

:'( Bruno

I was almost thinking you did it on purpose :'(
Moi? :whistling: I didn't have a lilo option.
[root@localhost sue]# cat /boot/grub/menu.lsttimeout 10color black/cyan yellow/cyangfxmenu (hd1,6)/boot/gfxmenudefault 0title linuxkernel (hd1,6)/boot/vmlinuz BOOT_IMAGE=linux root=/dev/hdb7 resume=/dev/hdb5 splash=silent vga=788initrd (hd1,6)/boot/initrd.imgtitle linux-nonfbkernel (hd1,6)/boot/vmlinuz BOOT_IMAGE=linux-nonfb root=/dev/hdb7 resume=/dev/hdb5initrd (hd1,6)/boot/initrd.imgtitle failsafekernel (hd1,6)/boot/vmlinuz BOOT_IMAGE=failsafe root=/dev/hdb7 failsafeinitrd (hd1,6)/boot/initrd.imgtitle windowsroot (hd0,0)makeactivechainloader +1

Moi? :'(
:whistling: Here is what to change:
timeout 1color black/cyan yellow/cyangfxmenu (hd1,6)/boot/gfxmenudefault 0title linuxkernel (hd1,6)/boot/vmlinuz BOOT_IMAGE=linux root=/dev/hdb7 resume=/dev/hdb5 splash=silent vga=788initrd (hd1,6)/boot/initrd.imgtitle linux-nonfbkernel (hd1,6)/boot/vmlinuz BOOT_IMAGE=linux-nonfb root=/dev/hdb7 resume=/dev/hdb5initrd (hd1,6)/boot/initrd.imgtitle failsafekernel (hd1,6)/boot/vmlinuz BOOT_IMAGE=failsafe root=/dev/hdb7 failsafeinitrd (hd1,6)/boot/initrd.imgtitle windowsroot (hd0,0)makeactivechainloader +1
The change will take immediately . . you do not have to run "/sbin/grub" ( grub-install in Grub-speak ) or something like that.Now, one thing to remember:In Lilo a timeout of "100" = 10 secondsIn Grub a timeout of "10" = 10 secondsB) Bruno

Now, one thing to remember:In Lilo a timeout of "100" = 10 secondsIn Grub a timeout of "10" = 10 secondsB) Bruno
Done! Thank you so much Bruno, you're a patient man. :whistling: Just one more thing, if I may. Cybormoron had posted http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/ for getting the repositories. I used this the other day. Should I use it again?

To get the Mandriva repositories you better use the tool in the MCC --> Package manager --> Sources --> the "Add" button.For the PLF sources the zarb.org is okay . . . . BUT you will not need the PLF sources if you install the nvidia drivers the same way as you did in Slackware.The only thing you have to do when you want to install the nvidia drivers the same way as you did in Slackware is to first install the kernel-source in the MCC.:whistling: Bruno

To get the Mandriva repositories you better use the tool in the MCC --> Package manager --> Sources --> the "Add" button.For the PLF sources the zarb.org is okay . . . . BUT you will not need the PLF sources if you install the nvidia drivers the same way as you did in Slackware.The only thing you have to do when you want to install the nvidia drivers the same way as you did in Slackware is to first install the kernel-source in the MCC.:whistling: Bruno
Okie dokes, thank you. :'(