• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• striker

• Bruno

• ozgeek

• Urmas

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest LilBambi

I'm game as well. I would help where I could and as time allows between Vista troubleshooting calls. ;)A friend just brought their Dell laptop to us to put Linux on it for them. This would be a great benefit for these new users! B)

I was just wondering, will Dell be able to devise a laptop with hardware that will be compatible with most major Linux distros?The problems I've experienced with distros and hardware seem to make that an interesting challenge. I don't envy them B)

Let me clear up what I mean by "sub-forum": It would mean that at the top of the page of the All Thing Linux there will be a link to a section of the ATL specially for Dell users. ( we had this for a while for Firefox in the Application Software forum )There are advantages ( splitting traffic ) and disadvantages ( lack of overview ) to it . . . . . Personally for ease of moderating I like it to be "all in one", but am not sure if the regulars of this forum would not feel they were inundated by all the Dell-specific questions that might come up.
Personally, I think that a separate Dell sub forum such as the separate 2007 TR's in the PCLos forums would be a good deal in that those who have Dell's could go there and not tend to over ride "high priority" non Dell problems . . . just MHO . . .If this comes about, I would tend to look at both areas to see what the "hot" topics of the day were, but if I had a problem that was not Dell related, it would be less likely to get driven down the thread list before anyone had a chance to see and respond to it.On a slightly different note: I hope this works out and Dell gets serious about it; Fry's Electronics had computers with Linspire (yes, I know, don't laugh) on them for several years that started at $195 (I believe) and they never could sell them; they finally closed them out at $125 just to get rid of them, so I am not too sure how ready most people are to try Linux . . . I have talked and talked about it to friends, and they just look at me and say sure, sure and go right on with Windows. The only way my wife happens to be using it is because I put it on her computer when Win98SE support was about to end last year.* Of course with all the bad press Vista is getting, maybe there will be more interest in alternative OS's?Bill*However, when she got bent out of shape when something went wrong the other day in PCLos (not sure how it happened), I told her I was going to delete PCLos and she could go back to struggling with Windows, and I was informed in no uncertain terms that she did not want to do that! Edited by BillD

What a great idea and I'm gald to see they picked this forum. A lot of very good people willing to help anyone who asks. I think the sub-forum is a good idea it will give a good place to measure how the forum has helped, specifically with Dell related hardware. Sounds like a good way to spread the word about Linux, the more the merrier.

1). Do you think it is a good idea for the ATL forum to get involved with this Dell-community-support-forum idea ( maybe even set up a subforum in the ATL to split up the traffic )
I don't know if we need to setup anything for it. Linux support is Linux support, regardless of the system on which its installed.
2). Which Linux distro would you like Dell to preinstall on it's Laptops once they start delivering systems with Linux factory installed?
Considering who appear to be Dell's typical customers (mere mortals of the lower class ;)), I would say Ubuntu. It's just too easy :thumbsup:
3). Would you be willing to install your distro of choice on a Dell Laptop and participate in testing to see if the forum can indeed provide the support needed for running that distro. If you are, please include the way you connect to the internet and what hardware you use for the connection. Dell will provide a number of "OS-free" laptops to accommodate the experiment.
Uh, yeah, I don't have a Dell laptop, so, well... ;)

Really a great development! 1. A Dell Support subforum, I agree with Urmas, is a must.2. Bruno could organize the volunteers to teams (ie PCLOS, Mandriva, FC, SUSE, Vector Linux, Ubuntu/Kubuntu, Slackware) so the effort will be orderly and efficient. 3. A directory of volunteers indicating area of 'specialization' would also be helpful for those who prefer the privacy of PMs. 4. I find Bruno's and Striker's approach to support excellently polite and helpful that I hope they can share these in the form of guidelines for volunteers.

Guest LilBambi
Really a great development! 1. A Dell Support subforum, I agree with Urmas, is a must.2. Bruno could organize the volunteers to teams (ie PCLOS, Mandriva, FC, SUSE, Vector Linux, Ubuntu/Kubuntu, Slackware) so the effort will be orderly and efficient. 3. A directory of volunteers indicating area of 'specialization' would also be helpful for those who prefer the privacy of PMs. 4. I find Bruno's and Striker's approach to support excellently polite and helpful that I hope they can share these in the form of guidelines for volunteers.
I agree with b2cm wholeheartedly on 3 out of 4 points! :thumbsup:The only one I would strongly disagree with is #3:Forums are peer-to-peer help for several reasons:1. If some one searches on Google (or even lame forum search engine - single word searches work best in forums) for a problem that someone else has already had and hopefully been resolved then it should come up in a search and limit the amount of repeat sessions for the same problem.2. Limits the well-known forum burnout factor particularly for a 'larger than life' number of users (have you ever looked at the Dell Forums - it takes a lot of volunteers!) for the volunteer helpers.In essense, if help is available in PM, the sub-forum as a whole does not benefit from that help for future users suffering with problems.Just my two cents. ;) What great thoughts on this from everyone! :thumbsup:

Well, I think the PM help should be an option for those who need help and were directed here, but are not comfortable with board exchanges. If we put out a sign saying we do not do PM help here, we turn away users (particularly beginners) and only add to their frustration. On the other hand, PM help can be a place where the volunteers not only provide immediate help but also build the confidence of users to participate in the board. It gives the forum a little 'caring' touch, looking out for those whose skill in getting help here or elsewhere is limited by some indisposition.

Guest LilBambi

I would think we could at the very least 'strongly' encourage people to post their problems in the open forum for the benefit of all.Also, I would not wish to have Moderators and fellow volunteer Members/Highlanders get to the point where they start turning off PM ability just so they are not inundated with requests for personal message help. Even the Dell Community Forums in their TOS/Forum Rules state flat out that members have the ability to turn off Private Messaging. I would think they put that in because of the possibility of Private Messaging for technical help could get intense for the Moderators/Volunteer Members.Also, like on the Dell Community Forum, we wouldn't want other Dell users (whether they are Members here or not) to miss out on being able to search for help for a given problem simply because it was answered in a PM instead of the open forums.As I say, it's just my own personal two cents. :thumbsup:

I'm not sure why anyone would not be comfortable with a board exchange. This forum has always been about help, not making fun of a poster's lack of knowledge. I think anyone coming here and doing even a limited scan of posts will realize that.

I'm referring to people who quietly come and go, scanning topics and doing searches, and conclude the exchange is too technical. I know these people exist. I'm not good at Linux support so when people who are trying Linux come to me for help I point them to forums where they could get competent help. Usually, they visit the forum, scan and search and get intimidated even just by the language ---the CLI comments, for instance---and that's the end of it, well, unless I do the asking and translate the solutions to something they can implement.

Well, I think the PM help should be an option for those who need help and were directed here, but are not comfortable with board exchanges. If we put out a sign saying we do not do PM help here, we turn away users (particularly beginners) and only add to their frustration. On the other hand, PM help can be a place where the volunteers not only provide immediate help but also build the confidence of users to participate in the board. It gives the forum a little 'caring' touch, looking out for those whose skill in getting help here or elsewhere is limited by some indisposition.
I do see your point b2cm . . . . and in rare cases I do indeed help people off-forum ( email or PM ) most of them come via my website . . . . But for me it is much harder, and it adds to the stress . . . . just like Fran said:
the well-known forum burnout factor particularly for a 'larger than life' number of users for the volunteer helpers.
Also in a forum thread it is easier to go back a few posts to look up some detail . . . in PM and email this gets much harder because of the lack of overview.So, basically if someone mails me ( from the website ) with questions and it takes more the 2 or 3 replies I tell them to subscribe to the forum because it's far easier to help.;) Bruno

jimtheplanner

Hi Guy'sI picked this up on the BBC news, where Dell have hit the buiness headlines no less. ;) Jimtheplannerps Bruno please move this posting around to where it fits best :w00t:

muckshifter

Nope, sorry, PM is turned off by default by me, and I probably won't answer your email either. I help, where I can, on the forums I frequent.I think you are all getting ahead of yourselves ... has SNF "got the job" for official support/help in regards to Linux on a Dell ? We are "open for business" to anyone else and any Distro, are we not ?Have a separate forum if it will make things easier ... can I then have one "especially" for Ubuntu, Suse, Mandriva, Vista, Gateway, Mesh and any other name you can think of ... is the Linux Distro Dell decide to install going to be soooo radically different from err, Linux ??Can you not just tell Dell, YES, we are more than willing to help ... and see then what transpires ?I am as "excited" about the prospects as most here seem to be and truly hope we do get the acceptance from Dell. ;) EDIT: OT ...can someone please tell me why IE7 & IPBs tripple space a line return ... gettin fedup of having to edit my posts with all that blank space

Edited by muckshifter

First, this is not like I'm insisting. ;)

here comes a new dell user... how would (s)he know to pm ~me~ anyway?
Well, maybe under the avatar is the title 'volunteer help' and an indication of the areas the volunteer can be of assistance.
and what if i'm away for the day - that happens often enough, no one there to reply.
under that can be a button that says 'available for PM' or 'not available'.
i'd rather see 'em post in a ==separate== forum where any of we who volunteer could respond.
we all do.

Boy CyborI hope without reading to many of those links have I done the right thing in Buying a D600 and how does this affect this THREADS POTENTIAL :rolleyes: Cheers for yearsColin :thumbsup:

the plot thickens. this is quite the drama.http://news.google.com/nwshp?hl=en&tab...;ncl=1114914070
Hmm--don't think this is completely unexpected since they have been "investigating" for quite a while now, and the SEC has been making noises at them. I felt this was why Michael Dell took over again--hopefully, he will turn things around. Dell used to have great products, then I think they really slipped in the last 5 years or so.

Hmm--don't think this is completely unexpected since they have been "investigating" for quite a while now, and the SEC has been making noises at them. I felt this was why Michael Dell took over again--hopefully, he will turn things around. Dell used to have great products, then I think they really slipped in the last 5 years or so.
I agree with you Elizabeth. The last 3 Dell's I've had haven't been in the same league as the one I bought in 1998. That one is still going strong and is really dependable. The others have less reliable hardware configurations.

I agree with you Elizabeth. The last 3 Dell's I've had haven't been in the same league as the one I bought in 1998. That one is still going strong and is really dependable. The others have less reliable hardware configurations.
I don't have too many complaints about the 2 Optiplex boxes I bought in 2001/2002 and the Latitude notebook I bought in 2002, but I think their consumer (as opposed to business) line really suffered. I bought a Dimension in 1997 that is still running--I gave it to an elderly relative several years ago and when she passed away, the machine moved to a badly-off friend of her son. That's 10 years--I don't think any of the Dimensions they've manufactured in the last 5 years will ever come close to that!