Linux support for Dell ??

Bruno

Dell has contacted Scot to ask if the Scot's Newsletter Forums would like to participate in an experiment.They are looking for ways of setting up user-friendly support for preinstalled Linux on desktops and notebooks. Dell would like to know if we would be willing to be one of the forums they can send people with questions about Linux. ( without RTFM, that is one of the main reasons we were selected )For this test they want us to focus on Laptops, although we might opt for giving support for Desktops as well at a later date.So, we have 3 questions for you:1). Do you think it is a good idea for the ATL forum to get involved with this Dell-community-support-forum idea ( maybe even set up a subforum in the ATL to split up the traffic ) 2). Which Linux distro would you like Dell to preinstall on it's Laptops once they start delivering systems with Linux factory installed?3). Would you be willing to install your distro of choice on a Dell Laptop and participate in testing to see if the forum can indeed provide the support needed for running that distro. If you are, please include the way you connect to the internet and what hardware you use for the connection. Dell will provide a number of "OS-free" laptops to accommodate the experiment.;) BrunoPS: If you are interested in participating in the project please send me a PM with choice of distro, type connection + modem and an address where Dell can send the hardware.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• striker

• Bruno

• ozgeek

• Urmas

Top Posters In This Topic

Well BrunoI DO think it is a great proposal and Looks as if I am starting ALREADY with the arrival of the Dell Latitude D600 Of course my Distro of Choice would be PCLinuxOS 2007 but am will to try others ie:- Mandriva or SuseAnd OOPS PCLinuxOs IS going on the Dell once it arrivesPlease count me in Cheers for yearsColin ;)

muckshifter

wow, Dell really are serious. ;)

1). Do you think it is a good idea for the ATL forum to get involved with this Dell-community-support-forum idea.
Yes, I do.From personal experience I can testify you guys can make it work, and, be respectful to any and who ask for help.
2). Which Linux distro would you like Dell to preinstall on it's Laptops once they start delivering systems with Linux factory installed?
My personal favorite is Suse & KDE
3). Would you be willing to install your distro of choice on a Dell Laptop and participate in testing to see if the forum can indeed provide the support needed for running that distro. If you are, please include the way you connect to the Internet and what hardware you use for the connection. Dell will provide a number of "OS-free" laptops to accommodate the experiment.
More than willing to give feedback, would jump at the chance. ;) B) BT ASDL via RJ45 & wireless ... 3 PCs via a switch & 2 laptops via wifi ... had a Mac in there once. Hmmm, maybe should have left that last bit out. ;) Edited by muckshifter

This is good, Answer to 3.I have Dell D600 with PCLinuxOS 2007 installed...I'm ready to rumble with Dell!!!I think, YES..we can help...I would like to see PCLinuxOS...though I think Dell would probbaly stick with SuSe , Mandriva or Redhat.

jimtheplanner

Wow, What an opportunity!!!Answers:-1) Yes2) Mandriva 2007 "Spring" (has to be)3) Yes (must say I'm not as experienced as most of the ATL crew I'm more of a dabbler) Best wishes to those who are chosen. And also a good pat on the back to the Linux crew in the forum- nice to know the big boys are in tune with the good advice & expertise passed on ;) Jimtheplanner

Well, I think it is a neat idea because then people are going to discover that their printers don't work, etc., and that will put pressure on the hardware manufacturers.However, I would prefer to see them use a distro that would work with streaming media (e.g., PCLos 2007). Problem with that is, it would probably make PCLos too well known, and then Tex would get into legal difficulties . . . ?Bill

Edited by BillD

Man oh man... they are gonna do this. ;)

1). Do you think it is a good idea for the ATL forum to get involved with this Dell-community-support-forum idea ( maybe even set up a subforum in the ATL to split up the traffic )
Good idea, bad idea... not the issue here. Simply must be done. ;)
2). Which Linux distro would you like Dell to preinstall on it's Laptops once they start delivering systems with Linux factory installed?
I'd be utterly surprised if it were anything else than Suse... for <ahem> obvious reasons. ;) If it was purely "by merit", Ubuntu would be an user-friendly choice... especially with revamped Network Manager and "smart" multimedia codec installing introduced in Feisty.
3). Would you be willing to install your distro of choice on a Dell Laptop and participate in testing to see if the forum can indeed provide the support needed for running that distro.
Yeah... but methinks I'm too far away from Dell's "beaten track".

NOTE: I added a "PS" to the first post:

PS: If you are interested in participating in the project please send me a PM with choice of distro, type connection + modem and an address where Dell can send the hardware.
@ Barry, Bill and Urmas: I think they have an open mind about the choice of distro . . . . . if we can prove that PCLos or Ubuntu runs well on their hardware, and support by the forum is a viable solution, chances are that they will include those distros in their choices.Personally I think that both (K)Ubuntu and PCLos would be excellent !@ Urmas: Isn't there a Dell branch in Finland ?@ Bill, I don't see why Tex would get into legal difficulties . . . There are already PCLos OEM's aren't there ?What about the sub-forum idea ?;) Bruno

@ Urmas: Isn't there a Dell branch in Finland ?
Yes, there is... it's just that (servers excluded) Dell's sooooo marginal up here.
What about the sub-forum idea ?
Might be the best way to do this.

Urmas . . . We do need Ubuntu support . . . it is the hottest distro around . . . . . I just hope a strong Ubuntu fan like yourself will volunteer for the experiment.;) Bruno

This is just fantastic news. I'm a great Dell fan, having 3 of their computers.My next purchase is going to be a laptop and I would like to make it a Linux computer. My choice for an operating system would be Mandriva - that's what I put in the Dell survey.I'd be very happy to help in any experimentation.Yippee :hysterical:

What's the rationale behind a sub-forum? Would there not be better exposure to linux knowledge in a single location? Am not opposed, just puzzled. Other than that, I think this is a good idea.

What's the rationale behind a sub-forum? Would there not be better exposure to linux knowledge in a single location? Am not opposed, just puzzled. Other than that, I think this is a good idea.
Elizabeth, I think we would be expecting a much heavier traffic flow as Dell would no doubt be directing support queries to us. That said, a separate forum could focus more on Dell systems and problems arising between Dell components and the chosen distribution.An exciting prospect for our forum. :hysterical:

Question #1: Each distro has it's own forum, so they would probably take the bulk of the questions. I think if ATL provided some support, that woul be good. I also am puzzled why one would want a sub-forum for Dell users. On the other hand, I would support an ATLFF sub-forum (All Things Linux For Finns). :hysterical: Hey, I'm from Minnesota. Our state constitution allows us to make jokes about both Finns and Iowans.Question #2: Mandriva seems the obvious choice. People are going to want full multi-media right out of the box. My personal choice would be Kubuntu though. KDE is nice. K3b - well, what can I say that you people haven't K3bKaffeine is very good and Amarok in Kubuntu possibly beats out iTunes. If Fiesty installs the codecs easily, then maybe Kubuntu becomes my first choice. I haven't seen Fiesty yet, waiting for the April release. PCLOS would be my third choice.Question #3: If Dell would like to send me a trial laptop, I'll certainly give it a whirl. Thing is, I just ordered an HP laptop. Should be here on Thursday. Never owned a laptop before. Never used a laptop before! Should be interesting. Will be dual-booting with Vista and Kubuntu.Anyway, congrats on Dell asking you folks to participate. I agree, having a place where one can ask a question or even just drop in to read posts without getting the RTFM attitude is great. You folks rock and deserve to be considered top-notch tech support!Malachite

You know I am game for this one. I would love the chance to put Linux on a Dell lappy, and see how well it handles it. I am soooo excited! :hysterical: Tommy

Edited by tommyj12

Wow how cool is this? I think it is a great idea. 1. I think it is a great idea, more exposure for Linux more exposure for us oh and yeah for Dell too. Not to mention the atmosphere here is great for learning.2. Mandriva or PcLos but I would really be happy to experiment with any distro. 3. I would definitely be willing.I think a subforum might be a good idea if this generates any amount of traffic.

Thanks for the positive point of view folks !!Let me clear up what I mean by "sub-forum": It would mean that at the top of the page of the All Thing Linux there will be a link to a section of the ATL specially for Dell users. ( we had this for a while for Firefox in the Application Software forum )There are advantages ( splitting traffic ) and disadvantages ( lack of overview ) to it . . . . . Personally for ease of moderating I like it to be "all in one", but am not sure if the regulars of this forum would not feel they were inundated by all the Dell-specific questions that might come up.:hysterical: Bruno

Personally for ease of moderating I like it to be "all in one", but am not sure if the regulars of this forum would not feel they were inundated by all the Dell-specific questions that might come up.
How about keeping things the way the are at first... and, should there be an inundation :hysterical: later on... create the sub-forum then.

sounds like a great idea, seems everyone is going with the most popular distros :hysterical: ... only thing i would add to that list would be debian and Arch, and perhaps slackware ...

I'd love the idea :hysterical: and of course I immediately would smash Fedora on it. Yeah ! :D However Slackware would be my second candidate.

Sounds good to me. It's a good opportunity to expand the knowledge collected here, which would benefit more than just the Dell usersI originally thought that a sub-forum would be essential, but concur with Urmas that we should wait till traffic demands it. It wouldn't be pleasant if ATL's character was changed with a flood of Dell posts. A sub-forum would solve that.Being a keen Debian user I'd like to see it offered as it's so stable. Even my Sidux (Debian sid - unstable) is running very stable ATM. With KDE of course.Also keen on Sabayon which is probably THE leading edge Linux ATM, and Kubuntu and Xubuntu. Not really a Gnome user.I'd be willing to test. PM on the way.I actually have an old Dell GX110. P3-1GHz 256Mb RAM. Bought for $AU50. I keep it as emergency and used it for several months last year. Is quite nippy with Debian etch installed! :hysterical:

I can't offer much help. I have more questions than answers. B) I can do searches and try to help that way. It may cause me to try another linux (the one that Dell offers) just to be able to see what the new buyers are seeing. You might not get inundated with new Dell owners here because I suspect people who order a Dell with linux already know something about linux. People running windows who haven't heard much or have never seen linux aren't going to buy a computer with an OS on it that they know nothing about.And if Dell installs it at the factory, at least the new owners can be sure that all the installed hardware works with it, which is 90% of the battle in some cases. About the only thing that might need configuring are things like printers, scanners, all-in-ones, cameras... So no help will be needed with video display, sound working modem and/or broadband connecting because Dell would have everything working before the computer was shipped.

Edited by zlim

If only.... If only I had not just purchased a Laptop from Toshiba just last week!Adam
Does not mean you can't participate Adam . . . just send me a PM and I will put you on the list.
I can't offer much help. I have more questions than answers.
Hi Liz . . . Not all test-users need to be a Linux guru. What Dell would like to see is if we are able to help new users too, so if you "volunteer" as "new user" you qualify for the experiment just as well. B) Just send me a PM with choice of distro, type connection + modem and an address where Dell can send the hardware and I will put you on the list.B) Bruno

I'd love the idea :yes: and of course I immediately would smash Fedora on it. Yeah ! :D However Slackware would be my second candidate.
That would be a great idea, i would certainly try to install fedora too, since i never been able to install fedora on my own comps ( fed doesnt llike my hardware ) i did install on my neighbors comp though, hope he is enjoying it B) B) .. and i would also try a flavor of bsd maybe feebsd, netbsd, or dragon.. just too see how it wold handle on that dell ... only problem i would have maybe would be the internet connection ... at home i use dsl ... work we use T1, and of courrse i would have wireless too when i would be out and about....... like the old saying where there is a will there is a way .... personally i didnt sign up for this conest cos i dont much about hardware so i guess thta would rule me out ..... but i do hope that everyone has fun with this contest looks like fun ... and i never thought about buying a Dell till now