• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• striker

• Bruno

• ozgeek

• Urmas

Top Posters In This Topic

The bigger surprise, though, is that over half of respondents would be satisfied with 'community-based support forums' for their tech support needs. I wonder if they are being totally honest or are they just feeling brave. Even though phone and email support can be aggravating sometimes, do those respondents fully realize how frustrating it can be to wade through pages and pages of forums looking for a simple answer!
I don't know why that is such a big surprise. The majority of voters use Linux and community-based forums is the preferred type of fellowship and support. I would bet these folks will buy the Linux compliant hardware and install their own distro and other software. The aggravating, frustrating experience will only be for the minority of voters who have not used Linux before and therefore no community-based support experience. Most likely, this is the group that will opt for a pre-installed Linux distro.

And now there's this:Dell May Have Driver ProblemsDell also seems to be indicating that they expect these machines to sell only to *techies* who won't need their hands held, unless this InfoWeek article has got hold of a mistaken idea.
Boy, have they got that wrong.The fascination of Linux attracts both "techies" and the uninitiated alike. I don't think Dell would waste it's time producing a Linux-based deskstop/laptop for a few technical minded enthusiasts. They want to increase their sales bigtime.

From the above article:

"A Linux user is a techie; a Windows end user is not always a techie, so it's unlikely the support cost is going to have any significant impact on Dell," said Sam Bhavnani, an analyst for Current Analysis. "If consumers were to buy preinstalled Linux, then Dell would be in for some really serious support headaches." The fact is very few Linux desktops and notebooks are sold each year, and that's not expected to change with Dell entering the market, Bhavnani said. "Linux on the desktop for consumers is still a ways away."
<yawn> :whistling:

Obviously, Dell is after the 'techie' market. But if Dell gets the 'techie' market, it can establish a viable support framework that will bring in the 'uninitiated'. And it is the 'uninitiated' who will bring in the money. Dell will probably not make money in desktop sales (as price will be the primary selling point to the 'uninitiated'), but it also sells accessories like printers, cameras and camcorders, projectors, etc. whose selling point will be drivers that come with pre-installed distros.

StrikerLooked at the link and--->>>Guess the No OS does not apply to Canada ie:- dell.caAs the Dimension n series seems to be only in the US with Free DOS system CDAnd no Lappy's either ;) Cheers for yearsColin

OOPS!!! :P StrikerI did NOT :o realize that link was connected with what dell approached the Forum aboutI must be on a slow boat to China today ;) Cheers for YearsColin B)

I did! :huh: :whistling: >_< Yes I am the happy recipient of a brand new Dell XPS laptop! I didn't get home today until late, and was really tired. I am in a state of shock right now. I feel like I just won the lotter. I know I must sound like a giggling teenage girl, but I am so happy! Man is this thing fast! My brother asked me to let him use it for a while. I told him he would have to pry it out of my cold dead hands. :huh: I was so happy when I got home today. :D Well I am off to do some more test driving.. Tommy ;)

Woooow !!!Tommy . . . that is quick ! I only forwarded the first batch of addresses late Wednesday How does it look like ? Do you have a camera ? Post us a picture Tommy !!!;) Bruno* Hope I will get mine tomorrow. . . .

Lemme see now... this was posted @1st April 12.06 AM (Tommy time)...<...nibbling the bait...><...nibbling the bait...><...nibbling the bait...><...nibbling the bait...><...nibbling the bait...><...nibbling the bait...>Naah. Nice try, though. ;)

I did! :huh: :whistling: >_< Yes I am the happy recipient of a brand new Dell XPS laptop! I didn't get home today until late, and was really tired. I am in a state of shock right now. I feel like I just won the lotter. I know I must sound like a giggling teenage girl, but I am so happy! Man is this thing fast! My brother asked me to let him use it for a while. I told him he would have to pry it out of my cold dead hands. :huh: I was so happy when I got home today. :D Well I am off to do some more test driving.. Tommy ;)
:o Tommy, congrats ! Now you better watch your brother because you know everybody wants to handle a fast machine. I have never seen a Dell XPS laptop myself :( Can you post a picture of it Tommy ? I wonder when my one arrives and if it's an XPS too.

muckshifter

The Notebook "appeared" on your doorstep with no indication from Dell it was coming ?? ;) Was it pre-configured with Linux ? Better fire up the Dell forums. :huh:

LOL, I bet Tommy was so excited to see this big box that he didn't even pay attention to other posts on the doorstep. ;)

Must be so engrossed in testing that he forgot all about us LOL! :hmm:
:hmm: Sounds like a fun project for the lukcy ones that are getting there dells, no wonder he forgot about us :hmm:

I think maybe Tommy is gone WarDriving with the new laptop and can't find an accesspoint . . . ;)Tommy, plug in the ethernet cable . . . we want to see that laptop . . . Show us a picture !! . . . please :hmm: :hmm: Bruno

Thank you all for participating in "The Dell Experiment", and thanks to Tommy to play along with the plot !Hope you all had fun. :hmm: :DFYI These were the ATL Forum April fools jokes of 2005 and 2006:2005: http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.php?showtopic=113692006: http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.php?showtopic=14909:hmm: Bruno