Setting Up My System... Again

V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

I installed the Nvidia drivers from Nvidia's site. I haven't had any buggy operation at all. Everything working smoothly! B)

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• V.T. Eric Layton

• striker

• Bruno

• Urmas

V.T. Eric Layton

Yeah, I read it before installing from the Nvidia site. However, that's how I had it installed on the last iteration of FC6, and I had no troubles then either, even with kernel upgrades. I've learned to stick with what works. B)

At FC5 I have had problems with that method, so I switched to the livna method. Never had any problems with that one. (FC4 worked fine however)And on FC6 I use the same method, works like a charm through several kernel updates we have had. (Just had a peek at livna's , they're all there)But it's your choice Eric, so better make a note of it right now : whenever problems arise in the near future, it might give you a clue.Personally I would uninstall the driver from nv's site and stick with the livna one. But again, it's your choice. B)

V.T. Eric Layton

Well, as you know, Striker, FC is not my primary Linux distro. It's just one of my "learning" distros, so if it implodes for any reason (as it's done 2 or 3 times already), I'll just reinstall and learn from the experience. B)

Well, as you know, Striker, FC is not my primary Linux distro. It's just one of my "learning" distros, so if it implodes for any reason (as it's done 2 or 3 times already), I'll just reinstall and learn from the experience. :clap2:
B) The smoke is coming out already at this stage ? :w00t: How/what did you set up, all of the install DVD ? There have been a tremendous amount of updates after the release, so like I said above maybe only set up the bare minimum and yum in the rest, or start with yumming in yumex and commence from there. Just a thought. :w00tx100:

misunderstruck
I've partitioned (using gparted on the Ubuntu Live CD) my 250Gig Primary IDE drive in the following fashion:/hda1 Primary - ext3 - /root Ubuntu 6.06.1 - 10Gig/hda2 Primary - ext3 - /home Ubuntu - 15Gig/hda3 Primary - ext3 - /var - 5Gig/hda4 Extended/hda5 Primary - ext3 - /root Debian Etch - 10Gig/hda6 Primary - ext3 - /home Debian - 15Gig/hda7 Primary - ext3 - /root Fedora Core 6 - 10Gig/hda8 Primary - ext3 - /home Fedora Core - 15Gig/hda9 Primary - reiserfs - /root OpenSuSE 10.1 - 10Gig/hda10 Primary - reiserfs - /home OpenSuSE - 15Gig/hda11 Primary - ext3 - /root Slackware 11 - 10Gig/hda12 Primary - ext3 - /home Slackware - 15Gig/hda13 Primary - ext3 - /root Gentoo 2006 - 10Gig/hda14 Primary - ext3 - /home Gentoo - 15Gig/hda15 Primary - ext3 - /root Mandriva 2007 - 10Gig/hda16 Primary - ext3 - /home Mandriva - 15Gig/hda17 Primary - linux swap - /swap - 2Gig/hda18 Primary - fat32 - /media/linux_storage - 60Gig
That's quite the partitioning scheme. It seems to me that you end up with a fair bit of wasted space with all the 15GB /home partitions. I have Ubuntu and Gentoo on my laptop, and FC6, Ubuntu, openSuSE, Gentoo, and WinXP on my desktop. In partitioning the disks, I give 10GB to each distro as the root directory, and then I have a large partition mounted as /common in each system. Inside each distro, I make symbolic links for my usual /home directory folders (work, music, downloads, photos, etc.) to corresponding directories inside the /common directory. That way I have access to the same data and what not from each of the distros. (Oh, I also make sure to use the same username and user id # in each distro, which is easily taken care of during installation. That way there are no ownership/permissions issues when sharing between distros.) As far as settings go, I've experimented a little bit with copying things like .gnome2 directories between systems, but I've found that you can get inconsistent results, especially if you have different versions of the same packages installed in different distros. What I have been successful with is sharing my .mozilla and .thunderbird directories between the distros (by creating links from /home to /common) and being able to use the same Firefox and Thunderbird setups (including extensions & email messages). Anyhow, those are my thoughts on partitioning. Have fun and good luck with your continued experiments. :rolleyes:

V.T. Eric Layton
:rolleyes: The smoke is coming out already at this stage ? :thumbsup: How/what did you set up, all of the install DVD ? There have been a tremendous amount of updates after the release, so like I said above maybe only set up the bare minimum and yum in the rest, or start with yumming in yumex and commence from there. Just a thought. :hmm:
YUM is all up-to-date. I'm having no problems at all with Fedora. YUMEX? I don't think so. I had too many bad experiences with YUMEX a while back. ;)Yup. To each their own when it comes to partitioning schemes. I have lots and lots of space on this system. So much so that I don't know what to do with it all. ;)Oh, and that set up has been amended a bit since I posted that:/hda1 Primary - ext3 - /root Ubuntu 6.06.1 - 10Gig/hda2 Primary - ext3 - /home Ubuntu - 15Gig/hda5 Primary - ext3 - /root Debian Etch - 10Gig/hda6 Primary - ext3 - /home Debian - 15Gig/hda7 Primary - ext3 - /root Fedora Core 6 - 10Gig/hda8 Primary - ext3 - /home Fedora Core - 15Gig/hda9 Primary - reiserfs - /root OpenSuSE 10.1 - 10Gig/hda10 Primary - reiserfs - /home OpenSuSE - 15Gig/hda11 Primary - ext3 - /root Slackware 11 - 10Gig/hda12 Primary - ext3 - /home Slackware - 15Gig/hda13 Primary - ext3 - not used at this time/hda14 Primary - ext3 - not used at this time/hda15 Primary - ext3 - not used at this time/hda16 Primary - ext3 - not used at this time/hda17 Primary - linux swap - /swap - 2Gig/hda18 Primary - fat32 - /media/archive - 60Gig

V.T. Eric Layton

OK... UPDATES!I hadn't been able to get Sbackup to work in Debian Etch. Tonight, after reading the Sbackup wiki, I realized that Sbackup requires sudo privileges. I didn't have sudo set up in Debian. I edited the /etc/sudoers file to add "vtel57 ALL=(ALL) ALL" to the file. Now Sbackup is working. YAY! :)I also installed some more software and fixed a couple other bugaboos. My notebook has been updated. :)Toodles...

V.T. Eric Layton

I'll find a minute or two in the next week to put the finishing touches on Fedora and SuSE, then off to the biggle... Slackware. I still have all my Slack notes from the first couple times I installed it. Shouldn't be too much of a problem. B)

V.T. Eric Layton

Yeah, I've become an "installation guru". One of these days, when I finally quit self-destructing my systems, I might even learn to use Linux. :'(

V.T. Eric Layton

Heh! They all get easier as many times as I've done them. ;)Hey Striker... I found out the main problem with Nvidia drivers from the Nvidia site on FC 6 tonight. When you upgrade the kernel, the Nvidia drivers no longer function. Interesting, huh? I may have to uninstall them and try the Livna method after all. You WARNED me. ;)Hmm... I wonder... why don't other distros have this problem with the Nvidia drivers?

Hmm... I wonder... why don't other distros have this problem with the Nvidia drivers?
But they do Eric . . . . . with every kernel upgrade you have to rebuild the Nvidia drivers again. ( But only Fedora and Suse pushes frequent kernel upgrades without prior warning :devil: , in Slackware the kernel is excluded in Swaret so the user is in control whether it wants to upgrade the kernel or not. Same in Debian. )Only Mandriva and PCLos have a "dkms" ( dynamic kernel etc. etc. ) system that automatically rebuilds the drivers at the reboot after a kernel upgrade. They use the "dkms-nvidia" packages . . . . . real easy and worry-free ;):'( Bruno

V.T. Eric Layton

Hmm... I've upgraded kernels a couple time in Ubuntu and Debian and I haven't had to do anything for the Nvidia drivers to continue to function. Not that I can remember, anyway. Well, I guess I could install the kernel dev package for the new kernel in FC 6 and run the Nvidia install script again. That should build a new one, right? Or should I just uninstall and go to Livna? I know what Striker would say. :'(

Just make sure you have the matching kernel source installed and run the nvidia script again to rebuild the drivers and you will be okay :)And next time when doing updates: inspect if there is a kernel upgrade and either skip it or simply repeat the trick.:'( Bruno

V.T. Eric Layton

Yup! All better now. I already had the kernel dev package installed. I rebooted into RL3 and ran the Nvidia script. All's well. :)I saw the kernel upgrade listed in YUM, but I chose to install it anyway. Now I know that whenever this happens, I'll have to run the Nvidia script again.Working fine now, though on 2.6.18.1.2869.fc6! :)Off to work on some other issues...

V.T. Eric Layton

OK, got Firestarter and ClamAV installed in FC 6. I still need Java, Flash, and Acroreader, but it's late here. I'm off to bed...

V.T. Eric Layton

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Striker. Yeah. This setting up distros is getting to be downright boring. I've done it so many times. It's a great learning experience, though. If I remember correctly, Java and Flash were a royal pain in the posterior to install in FC 6. B) I'll research it later... in Ubuntu currently.

misunderstruck
If I remember correctly, Java and Flash were a royal pain in the posterior to install in FC 6.
I found this page when installing FC6 recently, and I found it to be a great help in dealing with Java, Flash, etc. Hope it helps. B)

V.T. Eric Layton

Well, the multimedia apps installed OK, but Java and Flash did not work properly as per the instructions on that website. I'll figure this out eventually. B)

V.T. Eric Layton

I'll give it a try, Striker. I'm coming to the conclusion that FC is not very user friendly. Installing these apps is much more difficult than with other distros, in my opinion. :whistling:

• 5 weeks later...
V.T. Eric Layton

Well, I had a few moments tonight to play around with my 'puter, so I booted up my OpenSuSE and started setting it up. It was nearly virgin. I haven't had the time to redo all my distros since reinstalling them a couple months back after my Gentoo nightmare. Anywho, SuSE is mostly up and running. I just have to install some miscellaneous applications here and there and everything should be okely-dokely.I'm off to Slackware now...