Setting Up My System... Again

V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton
Scot's Newsletter Forums does not encourage or condone violating any law regarding copyright or DRM/DMCA (U.S. Digital Millennium Copyright Act) in the USA, or similar laws that may exist in other countries. Some of the software mentioned in this thread may be illegal to use in your location. Copying certain CDs/DVDs may also be illegal in your location. Even if you may believe these laws to be unconstitutional, unethical, silly, and a violation of consumer fair use rights, please check the laws for your location before following the advice in this thread. . . . . . -- Forum Admins & Moderators
Ok, I think I can save my Windows (on the RAID array drives). I'll just install Ubuntu on my IDE drive again and GRUB should pick up Windows. Then I'll be able to boot into that OS, if necessary.So, here we go...I've partitioned (using gparted on the Ubuntu Live CD) my 250Gig Primary IDE drive in the following fashion:/hda1 Primary - ext3 - /root Ubuntu 6.06.1 - 10Gig/hda2 Primary - ext3 - /home Ubuntu - 15Gig/hda3 Primary - ext3 - /var - 5Gig/hda4 Extended/hda5 Primary - ext3 - /root Debian Etch - 10Gig/hda6 Primary - ext3 - /home Debian - 15Gig/hda7 Primary - ext3 - /root Fedora Core 6 - 10Gig/hda8 Primary - ext3 - /home Fedora Core - 15Gig/hda9 Primary - reiserfs - /root OpenSuSE 10.1 - 10Gig/hda10 Primary - reiserfs - /home OpenSuSE - 15Gig/hda11 Primary - ext3 - /root Slackware 11 - 10Gig/hda12 Primary - ext3 - /home Slackware - 15Gig/hda13 Primary - ext3 - /root Gentoo 2006 - 10Gig/hda14 Primary - ext3 - /home Gentoo - 15Gig/hda15 Primary - ext3 - /root Mandriva 2007 - 10Gig/hda16 Primary - ext3 - /home Mandriva - 15Gig/hda17 Primary - linux swap - /swap - 2Gig/hda18 Primary - fat32 - /media/linux_storage - 60Gig---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------OK, the Ubuntu installation completed while I was posting this. I'll go try to boot into it (and Windows) now. I'll install the other distros tomorrow. Then I'll be spending the next few days re-customizing the distros. Ubuntu won't be too difficult. I have backups of my /home directory on CD.Off I go...

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• V.T. Eric Layton

• striker

• Bruno

• Urmas

V.T. Eric Layton

OK, Ubuntu's (Debian's) GRUB saves my rear end. Windows is alive and well on my RAID 1 array. I just booted into it using the GRUB that was installed on my IDE drive by Ubuntu's installation. Weeeeeeeeee...Tomorrow, I'll get all those other distros installed again. Then the fun part... setting them up and customizing. Ubuntu will be relatively easy. I have /home directory backups for that distro.Off I go...

Tomorrow, I'll get all those other distros installed again.
Woooow . . . that is an ambitious project Eric . . . . Installing Debian, Fedora, SUSE, Mandriva and Gentoo in one day !! :blink: o:) Bruno

Cue Mucks:

Oh! I do like to be beside the seaside I do like to be beside the sea! I do like to stroll upon the Prom, Prom, Prom! Where the brass bands play: "Tiddely-om-pom-pom!" So just let me be beside the seaside I'll be beside myself with glee!
:blink:

Go for it Eric!You have the knowledge, the installation CDs but if I were you I would install Gentoo next. No point in installing all the others first if there is a chance you might loose them again. Just a suggestion.

V.T. Eric Layton
Go for it Eric!You have the knowledge, the installation CDs but if I were you I would install Gentoo next. No point in installing all the others first if there is a chance you might loose them again. Just a suggestion.
That is PRECISELY my thoughts also, Réjean! I wanted to get Ubuntu in for the GRUB so that I could access Windows. However, the next step is definitely going to be the Gentoo install... just in case it flubs things up again. It'll be no great loss. It only takes me about 15 minutes to reinstall Ubuntu. ;)I'm in Windows now... checking my email, etc. I'll be off to install Gentoo in just a few minutes. :wacko:

He did all this folks without doing a jig on his computer and or computer desktop! :wacko: Have you considered Sabayon instead of Gentoo? I don't know how far out it branches from the main tree. Maybe you just want to be a purist and use the first distro in a family.

V.T. Eric Layton

Well, I was trying to be a purist, but I don't think that's going to work too well. I've given up on Gentoo for now. I also had to forget about Mandriva. It wouldn't install properly on my system. Gentoo wouldn't recognize my partition scheme and Mandriva kept going into kernel panic halfway though the install.Anyway... I got Ubuntu, Debian, Fedora Core, OpenSuSE, and Slack reinstalled on the system. I haven't done anything at all to any of them yet. That's going to involve a few week's more work to get them back to the way I had them. Should be quicker this time, though. I'm not such a novice with any of those distros any longer.I have a problem with my Fedora Core installation. It won't boot. I suspect that it's corrupted. I'll reinstall it again tomorrow. Heh... and somehow my Slackware got installed with XFCE desktop. But that's COOL! I kinda' like it. I may play around with it for a bit before installing Dropline Gnome.One distro at a time, though. I have to get Ubuntu back to it's completely customized and running state, then I'll move on to the next ones... Debian, FC, SuSE, Slack, etc. I'll be pretty busy for a while I s'pose.What this all means is that my "adventures" with Gentoo were a total wash... I gained no constructive benefit at all from any of this. Bottom line: I trashed my system for no reason at all. What FUN!Experiences like this just re-enforce my belief that GNU/Linux will remain within the realm of the computer geek for quite some time. None are ready for "prime time" yet, nor will they be for some time to come, sadly.Ah well... I guess I'll just use trusty ol' Windows (HA-HA :wacko: ) till I get Ubuntu back up to snuff.Y'all be good...~Eric

Experiences like this just re-enforce my belief that GNU/Linux will remain within the realm of the computer geek for quite some time. None are ready for "prime time" yet, nor will they be for some time to come, sadly.
:wacko: I think you mean for those you tested on your machine in your set up. B)

Experiences like this just re-enforce my belief that GNU/Linux will remain within the realm of the computer geek for quite some time. None are ready for "prime time" yet, nor will they be for some time to come, sadly.
I think in your frustration you aren't looking at this realistically. The average user doesn't have six or seven different operating systems installed on the same computer. Most will install a second OS only because they are testing an alternative and lack a second machine to use as a test bed. So your experience really doesn't apply to the average user, who just wants whatever operating system they use to work and make their everyday tasks easier, not harder.My recent testing of a Linux system (SUSE 10.1 and 10.2) actually leads me to the opposite conclusion. There are Linux distros available that are very close to providing an acceptable user experience for the mom and pop users out there who never want to see the command line or know what it is.I have read that the time is now for Linux to make inroads into the Windows domination of the desktop and I agree. With Vista looming with it's high price tag for the OS and the hardware to support it this is an excellent opportunity for Linux to take away some of Microsoft's market share.Good luck on getting your system back to pre-Gentoo state. Thanks for sharing your experiences so that those of us who follow have a road map of the pitfalls that can occur.

I think in your frustration you aren't looking at this realistically. The average user doesn't have six or seven different operating systems installed on the same computer. Most will install a second OS only because they are testing an alternative and lack a second machine to use as a test bed. So your experience really doesn't apply to the average user, who just wants whatever operating system they use to work and make their everyday tasks easier, not harder.
I agree with this . . . . . . I know I did set up Mandriva ( or PCLos ) on the computers of a good few ( non technical ) friends who really only send email, browse and watch their digital pictures taken with their camera . . . . . they are 100% happy and do not need any support at all running Linux, unlike the friends that still are running Windows and keep bugging me with problems that they have running their OS.:hmm: Bruno

I agree with this . . . . . . I know I did set up Mandriva ( or PCLos ) on the computers of a good few ( non technical ) friends who really only send email, browse and watch their digital pictures taken with their camera . . . . . they are 100% happy and do not need any support at all running Linux, unlike the friends that still are running Windows and keep bugging me with problems that they have running their OS.:hmm: Bruno
I have same experience... only I've used Ubuntu. :o

I don't set it up, I make them do the work. :hmm: These people are in states far removed from Pennsylvania. It is a physical impossibility for me to travel to set up linux on his/her computer.I sent someone on dialup about 8 or 10 different distros. He isn't afraid to tackle some things. I warned him that if a distro didn't work, go on to the next distro and try again. I so wanted PCLos to work for him but it didn't. He found one that works, puppy 2.02. He tried the newer 2.12 and that doesn't work for him. Since puppy allows you to save your settings in a folder in windows, he is quite happy running puppy 2.02 live and learning to do things. I'm not sure if he got his printer set up but since his modem was detected, he can surf safely and boot into windows when he needs to do fancier things. If he gets everything working then he may consider an install.I also sent a definitely non-technical senior citizen to download PCLos, which does work for him. I first had him install FF in windows and get used to using that to browse before he tries anything linux. He is close to considering installing PCLos and has received email help from dense on how to partition to do it.So, I also think that linux is doable for average users provided you find the proper distro for the hardware. You must also first get the user used to using something besides Internet Explorer and OE. If they are willing to try that, then they may be willing to have a look at linux. If it is too hard to switch to another browser, then linux is not for them.

Edited by zlim

Hi Eric, Partimage anyone. I can safely trash any of my Linux flavors knowing I can restore using partimage. I keep, on my Fat 32 shared partition, a copy of the latest stable images of Ubuntu, PCLinuxOS and Zenwalk. In case of disaster I fire up partimageand restore the affected (trashed) distro. Of course I don't keep separate home partitions to keep it simple. Periodically after successful updates and such I replace outdated images with new ones. I also have a fully functional clone of my XP install on a spare HDD that I update periodically. If disaster strikes my XP install I only need to Ghost 9 it from there back to my main install. If I simply write over the bad install without invoking the MBR option, grub stays put.I have gotten so good at using partimage that I only really have two flavors of Linuxmultibooting with XP at a time. Ubuntu is there all the time but I can switch between PCLinuxOS and Zenwalk in about 10 minutes.I have the Linux RescueCD /partimage installed on a USB flash drive. It runs quicker.Of course your setup is much more complicated than mine (Raid arrays and such).Give partimage another think.

V.T. Eric Layton

Myeh... yeah. That post above was probably my late night fatigue and frustration actually doing the typing. In the light of a new day, I'm not nearly as gloomy about it. There most definitely are distributions of GNU/Linux that are very, very close to being ready for "prime time"... Ubuntu, SuSE, Fedora Core, even Slackware, actually. However, all of them still need just a bit of polishing, I think, before they'll be a viable alternative to Windows for Gramps and Granny. They're close, though... real close. The reason I run all these distros on my system is to LEARN. In that, I can't complain. I have been learning. It's also a way for me to determine just which one I like the best. Currently, I'm leaning toward Ubuntu and Slackware. While Debian Etch is a comfortable distro, due to my familiarity with Debian from Ubuntu, it needs much polishing. FC and SuSE are nearly commercial offerings. One day I'm sure they'll be available in boxes at Best Buy or CompUSA. However, I don't think I want to go down that road... did it with Windows already. No thanks.As far as Mandriva, Gentoo, PCLinuxOS, etc. go, I can't really be a good judge of any of those because they've caused me problems and failed to install on my system. For that reason, I'm biased against them. One day in the future, when I get a "test" system set up, I'll load them on there instead of my main system. Then I'll be able to study them in depth.For now, though, I guess I'll just set my current system back up to the pre-Gentoo catastrophe stage and continue to brush up on my Linux skills with those 5 distros. I must get Ubuntu set back up VERY soon because I HATE being in Windows. :(See y'all later...~Eric

Hi Eric, Partimage anyone.
Yeah, yeah, Frank... :hmm: I know that I REALLY need to learn how to use that PartImage program. It would probably save me a lot of grief, huh?

V.T. Eric Layton

Well, here' some progress...I got Fedora Core working. Seems that the Debian GRUB didn't pick up the initrd boot for Fedora, so it wouldn't load properly. I edited it manually. All better now. All the distros on my system are in the "untouched" condition right now, with the exception of Ubuntu, which I'm currently setting up.Automatix II is the cat's meow! :D I've decided to manually install FireFox 2 on my Ubuntu system this time around. I got kinda' used to using it in Slackware. It seems to be working fine.I've set up my Ubuntu desktop and menus how I like them. I have to re-create my personal directories in /home now.Off I go...

V.T. Eric Layton

OK, more progress...Got the /home directory pretty much set up. Got the other miscellaneous tweaks done. Now I need to spend about an hour d-loading and installing all the Gnome themes and wallpaper that I lost. I should have Ubuntu pretty much back to normal by the end of the weekend, I would thing.Then it's off to Debian next.

V.T. Eric Layton

Yeah, pretty much, Bruno. It wasn't as thrilling this time to have to do all this stuff again. It was a bit of drudgery, actually. Once Ubuntu is set up completely, I'll be making about 5 hardcopy backups of various portions of the installation. I won't get caught like this again... famous last words. ;)I'm going slow and easy... one distro at a time. Once Ubuntu is finished, I'll be spending all my time in Debian for the next week or so. I should have all the distros back to normal (or in better shape than before) in the next month. Plus, this time I'm keeping detailed notes on everything I do to set up each distro. I bought a thick bound note book and have it divided up into 5 sections. I've already filled numerous pages with Ubuntu notes.Have a wonderful Christmas with your family and friends, Bruno! :w00t:~Eric

Some of the software mentioned in this thread may be illegal to use in your location.
Partimage... Ghost... ? :) Writes Eric, the crash boom bang man:
I've decided to manually install FireFox 2 on my Ubuntu system this time around. I got kinda' used to using it in Slackware. It seems to be working fine.
Use Psychocat's script:http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/firefox(Then, whenever there'll be FF 2+ updates in the future:
gksudo firefox

... and run FF's updater. Let it install updates. Close... reopen "the normal way"... that's it.) :w00t:

Partimage... Ghost... ? :) Writes Eric, the crash boom bang man:Use Psychocat's script:http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/firefox(Then, whenever there'll be FF 2+ updates in the future:
gksudo firefox

... and run FF's updater. Let it install updates. Close... reopen "the normal way"... that's it.) :w00t:

Thanks for the FF info Urmas. Where did you find the quote about illegal software?I think if Automatix is used to install codecs, some of them are illegal in the USA.

Post #1... have to say, I'm a bit :D ... but that's not unusual... :w00t:
I guess I didn't see that. It is from the admins after all. :) I think they are refering to Automatix and it's ability to add illegal codecs and such. BTW, [gksudo firefox] trick works in Dapper but not Edgy.

BTW, [gksudo firefox] trick works in Dapper but not Edgy.
Edgy has the "Ubuntufied" Firefox 2.0 preinstalled... updateable (if that's a word... well, it is now :w00t: ) via apt-get/Synaptic only. If you want, you can install "Mozilla's" FF 2 "beside it"... but, frankly, I fail to see the point.

Edgy has the "Ubuntufied" Firefox 2.0 preinstalled... updateable (if that's a word... well, it is now :w00t: ) via apt-get/Synaptic only. If you want, you can install "Mozilla's" FF 2 "beside it"... but, frankly, I fail to see the point.
I just figured that out. I used Aiysu script to update to 2.0.0.1 I guess a good reason is that 2.0.0.1 has been out for a while but Synaptic don't have an update for it. After running the script I can manual update with [gksudo firefox]. I did have to "hack" my spoofstick addon to make it work with FF 2.0.0.1.