Setting Up My System... Again

V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Hmm... my Slack installation is running XFCE. I don't even remember installing it with that desktop. Myeh... no matter. I'm planning on installing DropLine anyway. However, in the meantime, I don't have any mouse action in Slack. I'm gonna' have to figure that one out first. I tried the Slack tips for xorg.conf, but they had no effect. B)

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• V.T. Eric Layton

• striker

• Bruno

• Urmas

V.T. Eric Layton

Yeah... same ol' Logitech Trakman that I've used for years. It worked in Slack before with KDE or DLG. It's probably something relatively simple. I'll figure it out. Or I'll just install DLG and see if that fixes it.

• 2 weeks later...
V.T. Eric Layton

HELP! Well, phooey! :sweatingbullets: I've reinstalled my Slackware using KDE this time instead of XFCE. I still can't get any mouse action. Pointer is stuck in the middle of the screen... no movement. I've fiddled with "xorgsetup" and "xorgconfig" and manually edited the xorg.conf file. No help here at all. Here's what the file looks like currently:

Section "ServerLayout" Identifier "X.org Configured" Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0 InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer" InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"EndSectionSection "Files" RgbPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb" ModulePath "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules" FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/" FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TTF/" FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/" FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/CID/" FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/" FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/"EndSectionSection "Module" Load "glx" Load "extmod" Load "xtrap" Load "record" Load "dbe" Load "dri" Load "freetype" Load "type1"EndSectionSection "InputDevice" Identifier "Keyboard0" Driver "kbd" Option "XkbModel" "pc104" Option "XkbLayout" "us"EndSectionSection "InputDevice" Identifier "Mouse0" Driver "mouse" Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2" Option "Device" "/dev/psaux" Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5" Option "Resolution" "300" Option "Buttons" "3"EndSectionSection "Monitor" Identifier "Monitor0" VendorName "Monitor Vendor" ModelName "Monitor Model"EndSectionSection "Device" ### Available Driver options are:- ### Values: : integer, : float, : "True"/"False", ### : "String", : " Hz/kHz/MHz" ### [arg]: arg optional #Option "ShadowFB" # [] #Option "DefaultRefresh" # [] #Option "ModeSetClearScreen" # [] Identifier "Card0" Driver "vesa" VendorName "nVidia Corporation" BoardName "C51 PCI Express Bridge" BusID "PCI:0:5:0"EndSectionSection "Screen" Identifier "Screen0" Device "Card0" Monitor "Monitor0" DefaultDepth 24 SubSection "Display" Viewport 0 0 Depth 1 EndSubSection SubSection "Display" Viewport 0 0 Depth 4 EndSubSection SubSection "Display" Viewport 0 0 Depth 8 EndSubSection SubSection "Display" Viewport 0 0 Depth 15 EndSubSection SubSection "Display" Viewport 0 0 Depth 16 EndSubSection SubSection "Display" Viewport 0 0 Depth 24 EndSubSectionEndSection
WAAAAAAAAAA! 17.gif

V.T. Eric Layton

OK, I've got mouse now. I installed my kernel modules for my 2.6 kernel and ran "modprobe psmouse". That seems to have fixed it. I just finished installing Dropline Gnome. All went well there.I'm attempting to install the Nvidia drivers from the Nvidia site. It's not liking it. Giving me errors about my modules don't match my installed kernel... bla-bla-bla. It's late. I'll play with it tomorrow. I might just use an RPM version of the Nvidia drivers from RPM Find. I think that's how I did it last time... can't remember.Late now... going to bed. Nighty-night! :sweatingbullets:

Glad you fixed your mouse Eric !! Well done :sweatingbullets:

I'm attempting to install the Nvidia drivers from the Nvidia site. It's not liking it. Giving me errors about my modules don't match my installed kernel... bla-bla-bla.
Are you 100% sure you have the same version kernel-source in /usr/src/ [*] as the kernel you are booting ( uname -r ) ??Also: Slackware does not do rpm's so getting an rpm will not help you a lot ;):lol: Bruno[*] and the symlink, is it pointing to the correct version too ?

V.T. Eric Layton

It's late... I meant .tgz package, not an RPM. :sweatingbullets: I looked at Linux Packages, but there's not one there for Nvidia. I'm pretty sure I just installed them from the Nvidia site the last time.Output of $ uname -r --> 2.6.15.13-i386Here's the funny part, though... in /boot I'm showing only the 2.4 kernel and in /usr/src also. How the **** am I booting the 2.6 kernel? I can't even find it. *scratching head* :(I'm sure I'll figure it out tomorrow after some sleep. :lol:

Here's the funny part, though... in /boot I'm showing only the 2.4 kernel and in /usr/src also. How the **** am I booting the 2.6 kernel? I can't even find it. *scratching head* :(
:D . . . . I'm surre that after a good sleep you will find the kernel you are booting . . . . . :devil: B) Bruno

V.T. Eric Layton

Slack is BACK!OK, boys and girls... my Slackware installation is back up and running. It just requires some fine tuning. I'll have it back to pre-crash state in just a bit.This is the last distro that I needed to recover after my Gentoo crash of a couple months ago. All will be well now. YAY!By the way, I fixed the kernel bugaboos by completely reinstalling the 2.6.17.13-i486 kernel, the kernel modules, and the kernel source. I made an initrd and adjusted my Ubuntu GRUB accordingly. All this made the installation of the Nvidia drivers a breeze. All's well! I'm just fine tuning and adding software at this point.I LOVE Slackware! :devil:

V.T. Eric Layton

Yuppers! I love my Slackware!I just about have everything set up. I just mounted and copied my personal data from my /home Ubuntu directory. That saved a lot of time. I have one quirky thing happening with Slack, though. I have two CD players, two floppies, and two Zip drives listed in the My Computer area and on my disk mounter in my drawer. Any idea why it's doing this?I need to figure out how to get my Zip to mount. I'm pretty sure I just used the same Zip script that we created for Ubuntu with a couple of modifications. I'll work on that later tonight maybe.I need to install Swaret and some other commonly used apps, like NVU, etc. I'll get busy with that later also. Yippee! ;)

V.T. Eric Layton

I just installed the following:swaret - updated and upgradedAdobe Reader - not functioning :(Mplayer - not functioning :(NVU - works fine :)OpenOffice - works fine ;)

V.T. Eric Layton

Bruno,I seem to be having problems getting my Adobe Reader and MPlayer to work in Slack. I initially installed them from .tgz downloads from LinuxPackages. The installs seemed to go OK. They placed the icons in my menus, etc., but when I click on them, they don't do anything. I've also gone directly to the /usr/bin directory to click on them there... same thing.Just now I installed them both again using zipped downloads directly from the Adobe and MPlayer sites. I installed them using ./configure --> make --> make install commands in terminal. Again, the installs seemed to go fine, but same problem... click on icons or app in /usr/bin and nothing happens.Got any ideas? I remember having this problem in Slack the last time I was setting it up. Unfortunately, I don't remember if/how I got them working. I'm keeping a detailed log on all my distros this time around, hand-written in a notebook.One other thing... would you have any idea why my volume is set to zero on every boot? That's annoying also.Thanks,~Eric

V.T. Eric Layton

Heh! I have one of those thick composition notebooks divided into 5 sections --> Ubuntu, Debian, Fedora Core, SuSE, and Slackware. I may need to get another one soon. B)

Hi EricFirst the PDF reader . . . . the adobe one is toast ( and bloated ), I like the Xpdf ( and/or Kpdf ) much better.Second the Mplayer . . . . try the one from http://www.slackbuilds.org/ ( read the HowTo for install instructions )Third the sound: Fire up the Kmix mixer, set the volume and go to "settings" --> "configure kmix" --> "restore volumes at login" ;)I hope this gets you in the right direction to solve your Slack issues.;) Bruno

V.T. Eric Layton

Uh... I have Xpdf on my Slack, I think, but it doesn't work with online .pdf files in FF. :(Yeah, I was at SlackBuilds earlier. I guess I'm going to have to give that a shot. :(Kmix? I don't think so. I'm running Dropline Gnome. ;)

Edited by V.T. Eric Layton

Uh... I have Xpdf on my Slack, I think, but it doesn't work with online .pdf files in FF. :)
You need the PDF plugin ( nppdf.so ) to see PDF files in FF ( I can mail it to you if you want )
Kmix? I don't think so. I'm running Dropline Gnome. ;)
;) . . . . LOL . . . in that case use aumix to do the same ( start aumix from the commandline ) . . . NOTE: it makes an .aumixrc in your /home.B) Bruno

V.T. Eric Layton

I'm in Ubuntu right now, Bruno, but I'll check out aumix tomorrow. Yes, please send me the plugin... email addy is in my siggy. :)Thanks!

Second the Mplayer . . . . try the one from http://www.slackbuilds.org/ ( read the HowTo for install instructions )
Wow! I would definately do that... the 1.0 RC1 version looks very promising... I haven't installed it myself yet (in fact I've removed mplayer 0.99 from my systems)... the "big deal" is that "mplayer-codecs-all" for 1.0 RC1 contains native Winmedia support. ;) ;) B)

V.T. Eric Layton

While playing around with Mandriva the other night I learned that the Java and Flash plugins don't work on 64 bit FF 2.0. Well, I had read that here or there previously, but I forgot. Bruno reminded me. With that bit of info, I realized what my FF 2.0 problems were in Fedora Core. I removed the 64 bit FF and installed the 32 bit FF in Fedora. I have Java and Flash now. YAY!There's a bunch of upgrades available for FC 6. I'm going to go install them now. One is a kernel upgrade, so that means I'll have to rebuild Nvidia again... no biggie. It just takes a minute to run the script.Toodles... I'm off to Fedora.

V.T. Eric Layton

Fedora is all updated, including the new kernel and the Nvidia drivers. All's well in Fedora Core. I'm off to update SuSE real quick and then on to Mandriva.Toodles...

V.T. Eric Layton

Well, while I was in SuSE, I decided to install my Nvidia drivers. The generic nv drivers weren't cutting it. I was only getting about 250FPS with glxgears. I used Nvidia's advice and installed the drivers through YAST, so I won't have to re-compile every time there's a kernel upgrade.It's late... I'm off to bed. I'll update Slackware and fix the FF 32/64 bit situation in Mandriva tomorrow sometime.G'night all...