• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• striker

• SueD

• V.T. Eric Layton

• Bruno

• 2 weeks later...
added 'Setting Up LVM On Top Of Software RAID Subsystem - RHEL & Fedora8' in F8 section.
added link to the reverse process above in F8 section.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Striker, knowing me, how do you think I'd fare with Fedora? I've been curious about it for a long time but the wuss in me isn't too confident about trying it. I suppose the same could be said about Slackware if I hadn't jumped in with both feet, eh?LOL

Well, I'm a long time RedHat/Fedora user, I' ve used it for years on my desktop systems.Never had a real problem with any of them.However, I skipped F7 and F8 for reasons I've just had it with those constant kernel updates. In a single boot or a multiboot config you can overcome that problem with the right grub entry.Knowing you as a fast learner and persistent too, you might try the upcoming F9 which is scheduled to be released next week, the 13th.Be prepared for a lot of hunting for MultiMedia codecs stuff and packages (probably the Livna source) if it's not illegal in your country and a lot of CLI work. And like I said above, Fedora is a very good top distro, but it also needs a lot of work if you want to keep it current : in other words, there will be much, much updates and among them several kernel updates.This time however I will try to install it on the notebook (in 64bit flavor) and see how it goes: if it doesn't fare well, then it is no F9. Maybe possibly I install it on the old Desktop machine ( 32 bit) instead of one of the other distros running on it.And don't forget I will be not that much around like I used to in the old days, Bruno will still be here of course, otherwise you'll probably have to do a lot of googling around and/or subscribe to the Fedora forums at : http://forums.fedoraforum.org/Whatever you do Sue, don't install it on the machine your husband is using for his daily tasks. If possible, use a spare machine or take one of your own. :'(

I'm not sure I'm a fast learner but I am persistent. And I do love a challenge. Thank you Striker. I will consider giving Fedora a try if I can get my hands on another computer. Heaven knows my husband won't be happy if I use the main one and break something. :'(

Two new items added in F8 section: starting netinstall with what and using Sabayon to enforce User Guidelines And Restrictions.

It happened what I was afraid of: F9 will ship with KDE 4 series only, no fallback to 3.5.9 ;) That implies no F9 for me, not even an attempt to install it. I hate KDE4 simply because it isn't there yet, too many bugs still. :whistling: @Sue: you may have luck with F9 if you happen to like KDE4, if not you may consider F8 which has the 3.5x series of KDE. ;)

Thanks Striker but I may have to wait. I was hoping my father-in-law was tired of his laptop and was going to strike a deal with him to take it off his hands yesterday when I saw him. I was right, he did get tired of it. However, someone else struck a deal with him before I could get the chance. :whistling: I would really like to give Fedora a shot. I'm not sure I want to try KDE 4 though, but heck, but the time I find a decent laptop, it may be perfected by then. ;)

Why not switch to Gnome Sue, if only to see where it is nowadays? I did (have F9 installed on the notebook, got the idea to switch to Gnome after I posted earlier no F9 for me due to KDE4) and it's where Fedora is the strongest because Gnome was always their default. I don't regret it yet. Had a month or two to practice with Ubuntu and Mint and some others, and I have to say I like it.

I'm a little leery of downloading it right now before I get another computer because you told me not to install it on the system my husband uses. And heaven knows that if I do d/l it now, I will be tempted to burn it to disk. And once burnt to disk, I'll be tempted to install it on this system you said I shouldn't install it to. Can you see my dilemma? B) When the time comes, I will install the Gnome version. :thumbsup:

B) Right on Sue, stay away from hubbies machine.
Actually, they're both MY machines.LOL But I don't think he'd be too happy to boot up in the morning only to find I've done something that would prevent his daily ritual of ebay perusing. :thumbsup:

:hmm: I think he would go out of his mind. I would when I discovered someone changed the OS which I use every day. :w00t:

He had a question I hadn't thought of...why do you say to not install Fedora on the desktop? I have a 250GB HD in hda and 80GB in hdb. Honestly, I think he's just trying to save a few $$$ by not buying another system but in fairness to him, I do still have a whole lot of room left in hda.

I wasn't aware of the fact you had room enough for some experimenting. You could use hda of course.I use 20GB for a / partition, 20GB for the /home partition and a 2GB SWAP directory. :w00t: I would recommend Gnome (and not KDE4), however you could install both of them. (in that case opt for Gnome for every days usage) :hmm: Use the 32bit version to workaround some problems.