bookmarks/mail transfer

longgone

I finally burned the bookmarks and mail from PCLOS .. both are supposed to be html.. tried to install but no luck ... have a folder labeled "mail" on my desktop and I am assuming it is correct ... now with the bookmarks I am lost I get errors telling me that it can't open it but it does conatain the info I burned ... ideas ???

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• longgone

• Bruno

• V.T. Eric Layton

• striker

V.T. Eric Layton

Are we talking FF and T-bird here, Dale? And what exactly are you trying to do? Migrate your bookmarks and mail to another distro?

Edited by V.T. Eric Layton

What I am attempting to do is transfer my bookmarks/email from PCLOS FF/TB to Debian Mozilla/Mozilla Mail .... in an earlier thread I was told that if the browser/mail clients were different to burn the HTML portition and use it .. I believe that I have done that but now I need insts. on how to go from the CD 's to the actusl locations they need to be in ...

From Debian, open Mozilla/Mozilla Mail and use "Import" (bookmarks etc.)... just click-click-click to the location you have them (CD in the drive, Debian's Desktop, if you have copied them ther from CD etc.) B)

Edited by Urmas

V.T. Eric Layton

Hi again, Dale...You'll get many different opinions on how to migrate FF and TB between distros, but I prefer doing things the easy way. In my opinion, the easiest way to do this is how I explained it to Sue in THIS thread.Luck!~Eric

:) :wacko: :huh: ................Yes it is I once again (more than less) on this topic ...... I know that what you are telling me seems very simple ,,, but as of yet it is as clear as mud ....click, click, click, ????? did not produce anything that I could find/use ,,,these are the 2 cd's I burned from my home directory ... I hope they are correct ....thunderbird > 2eoykkgp.default > mail > (this shows 2 folders , local folders and pop.earthlink.net) .. and.mozilla > firefox > 1238j6gf.default > bookmarks.htmlI got the thunderbird one to make an icon on the desktop ,, no such luck with the mozilla one ... but .. it does have the bookmarks in it ... I am just not having anysort of luck getting from the cd to the repository ...

OK... let's do the (FF) bookmarks first:In Debian, move "bookmarks.html" from disk to Desktop (not really necessary, but I've got two (2) working brain cells... K.I.S.S. is my theme song.)Open FF (2.0, I presume)... go to Bookmarks > Edit Bookmarks.In there, Edit > Import... tick "Import From File"... press "Next".Now... the "click-click-click" part... navigate to Desktop... "bookmarks.html"... PRESTO! :)

V.T. Eric Layton

Urmas' method will work, but it's NOT the simplest way, in my opinion. All you need to do is open the .mozilla and the .thunderbird directories that you stored on the CD and, one at a time, COPY the CONTENTS (not the directories themselves) of each directory, then go to the /home/Dale (or whatever username you're using)/.mozilla and .thunderbird directories and PASTE the entire CONTENTS of each of the corresponding directories that you copied off the CD into their respective directories within /home/Dale/. NOTE: DELETE the entire contents of the .mozilla and .thunderbird directories in /home/Dale BEFORE pasting the new stuff from CD in there.That's all their is to it... just a short series of navigation and Copy/Paste clicks and EVERYTHING is migrated from your FF and TB into the new distro... extensions, plugins, bookmarks, etc. As I mentioned to Sue, though, some extensions may break during the transfer and require re-installation. That's no biggie, though.Here's a step by step:1) open Konquerer2) mount CD player3) open CD in Konquerer4) double click on the .mozilla directory on the CD5) Left click and drag your mouse over the entire contents of the directory to highlight it6) Right click on the highlighted area and click "COPY" from the context menu that pops up7) navigate within Konquerer to the /home/Dale directory8) find the .mozilla directory9) click on it to open it10) Left click your mouse and drag it over the entire contents of that directory to highlight it11) Right click on the highlighted area and choose "Move to Trash" from the context menu that pops up12) in the now empty .mozilla directory, Right click and choose "Paste" from the context menu that pops upThat's it... you're done. You've now copied the contents from your saved .mozilla directory on your CD and pasted it into the .mozilla directory in your new distro. Start FF and you'll see that it will be just like it is on the distro from which you copied the CD data. Follow the same steps above for the /thunderbird directory and all your T-bird set up will match the distro from which you copied the data on the CD. NOTE: in some distros the Thunderbird directory in /home/user is called .mozilla-thunderbird.This migration method will even work when going from a 1.5 FF to a 2.0 FF on a different distro... same for different versions of TB.Hope that cleared the mud up a little bit for you, Dale.Luck!~Eric

V.T. Eric Layton

Glad to be of help... However, I also want Dale to understand that there are many different ways to do what he's trying to do. Different folks have different favorite ways of doing things. The above just happens to be my favorite way to migrate FF and TB. Dale will probably settle on a method that is most comfortable for him... and that's as it should be. :)By the way, you can migrate FF and TB across platforms with this method also... Windows --> Linux -->Windows. Some extensions will break when going across operating systems, though. :) Easily fixable, however. :)Luck with it, Dale... and anyone else who uses this method.~Eric

:) :) :D :w00t: :clap: Okay.... first off Urmas ..... the current FF ver. in Debian 3.1r2 is 1.0.4 . I think PCLOS is 1.0.5 (not sure on that) BUT ... I put the cd in the tray .. click the my computer icon, click cdrom (the first cdrom) and I am presented with these options open, browse folder, stretch icon, properties, and eject ... none of these options will move the contents from the cd to the desktop ..... if I click on the "open" option it opens up to a folder that is listed as "bookmarks.html", if I click on that it tells me (to go fly a kite) that it can't open it and it needs to be renamed ... at that point I am now in a blizzard ....Eric......Konqueror(?????) .... first off it is not listed in the drop down menu under "internet" but I did finally locate it ... step 1 I did it was easy.. steps 2&3 are out to lunch... have no idea ........and in post #6 I listed the two folders that I copied .... I did not copy entire directors,, only one specific folder from each directory .....

V.T. Eric Layton

I assumed that since you were using PCLos (as per your profile here at ATL) that you'd be using KDE and not Gnome. Konquerer is the KDE application used to navigate through your directories and folders. It's also a browser. In Gnome, you'd be using Nautilus.

Actually ... I was using both in PCLOS ... started with KDE but after the last batch of updates I did something went wrong with it and I switched to Gnome so that I could finish out the changeover .. otherwise I would have had half a KDE (more or less) ... but what I meant was that in Debian, the Konqueror browser is not with all the other available browsers listed under the "internet" heading ... but I did locate it after some searching ..... your insts. are good, no problems there ... BUT .... your step 4 cannot be done because it is not there ... the only file I burned was labeled "bookmarks.html" and I am getting a feeling that it is not going to work ......and step 2 is new to me so that causes problems there too ... I am sure that given enough time and patience this will all come to a good ending ..... at least for this thread ... :P ;)

V.T. Eric Layton

No need to use Konquerer, Dale. The Gnome Nautilus works the same way. You could probably copy/paste just the bookmarks.html (you don't have to open it, just Right click --> Copy, the Right click --> Paste where you want it to go), if that's all you want to transfer. My method transfers ALL the browser aspects, not just the bookmarks, though. You'll get all your customizations, extensions, even you cookies when you copy/paste the entire contents of the .moz and .thund directories into another distro.You could always burn a new CD containing the .mozilla and the .thunderbird directories in their entirety.

<_< ;) :nuke: .....................Strange...very strange ..... to start with ... neither course of action is working for me so they are both out to lunch .. what I have done is this ... on my desktop (in Debian) within in the home icon there is a file labeled as bookmarks.html ... I clicked on each one ,, one at a time ,, this opened a window which listed several options .. one of which was "bookmark to link" .. clicked on it for each one and it worked all the bookmarks are in Debian .... BUT ,, HOWEVER ... they are in the Ephiphany Web Browser only ... not in any of the other browsers (FF, Mozilla, Galeon) the mail has still not been figured out yet ,, it might be one at a time also ... now the question ... how to move from Ephiphany to Mozilla/FF ??????

Dale, the bookmarks.html has to be in good shape... ;) To check that out you can simply open it up in any browser; If it's OK you'll see the bookmarks and their accompanying headings for it, I think if it's good you 'll recognize it immediately.When that's OK, close the browser in which you are viewing the bookmarks.html. Next, we're gonna import the bookmarks.html in Firefox.Open up Firefox.Click Bookmarks > Manage Bookmarks (sometimes called : Organize Bookmarks)Now in the Bookmarks Manager window : click File > Import : a little dialog opens asking to import what... from file you have to select. Then next just navigate to the bookmarks.html you have, click it, click OK ... do you need any more guidance Dale ???It's easy as drinkin' coffee.There's probably one problem you will encounter :nuke: ...In the bookmarks.html you already have there, there will also be a "Bookmarks Toolbar Folder", which will also be imported. Then you'll end up with two of them.To solve that one:In Firefox again : Click Bookmarks > Manage Bookmarks (sometimes called : Organize Bookmarks) and see them both located in the left pane.Click on the upper one and see if there are some bookmarks in it.Click the lower one, it probably is empty ...The trick is to move all the bookmarks from the filled Bookmarks Toolbar Folder to the empty Bookmarks Toolbar Folder and after that delete the now remaining empty Bookmarks Toolbar Folder.Again Dale, if you like I'm happy to guide you live through it in say about half an hour, first I'm going to have a coffee with the wife. <_< In the meantime you could check the contents of the bookmarks.html like I described above and have it ready on the Desktop to be handled by the Firefox Bookmarks importer.What ya think of that Dale ?

It's easy as drinkin' coffee.
<_< ;) :nuke: .... (I could really make a comment here)Striker................. you sure you want in ... Okay ,, you're sure .... the "bookmarks.html" has to be good it is up and good to go on my Ephiphany web browser and the few that I have checked are good to go ... so ... the bookmarks are currently residing in Ephiphany .. now to move to FF/Mozilla ...

OK Dale,

these are the 2 cd's I burned from my home directory ... I hope they are correct ....thunderbird > 2eoykkgp.default > mail > (this shows 2 folders , local folders and pop.earthlink.net) .. and.mozilla > firefox > 1238j6gf.default > bookmarks.html
You need this one:.mozilla > firefox > 1238j6gf.default > bookmarks.htmlFrom that one copy the bookmarks.html to the Desktop.If you have done so post back please.(I can't install epiphany here because it would mess to much things up here. So we do it the basic way.)

:nuke: :nuke: :huh: :huh: :( :( ......................Striker............... good news and bad news ...... bad news first .. <_< ;) .. for some reason the FF browser has started acting up .. when I select it a window opens telling me I have to establish a user profile .. this is the first time this has happened since I installed Debian and I can't get past that spot ....... good news is this .. in Mozilla (which I wanted anyway) click on bookmarks > manage bookmarks > tools > import > (opens up home/dale) > bookmarks.html > click > open > click .. and by jove I now have them all installed in Mozilla .........now are you ready for the mail ??????? ... it will be different ... TB mail into Mozilla Mail ..

:nuke: <_< That was fast Dale, you're learning faster than I can type ! :nuke: Hurray, you did it and all by yourself.Now my problem... I neither use TB nor Mozilla Mail. ;) Not even Evolution.Now what I just guess here is that you open up Mozilla Mail and it either asks itself for importing from another mail client or you invoke the import function manually. I think that is the way to go Dale .

;) :nuke: :nuke: .................WHAT no great , wise and wonderful words of wisdom ......... <_< ... guess I'll have to wing it there .... BUT before you go back to the coffee ... I need to fix the scrolling in Debian ... it currently is very jerky in movement ... is that in "X" or somewhere else ???

All applications in debian Dale or just the browser ..?If it's the latter there might be a setting for it in the browser like in FF, I use only Autoscrolling in there, not the other one.If it's the first, I think in the first place you should have a look at the mouse settings... it probably is set to scroll a whole page at a time or something like that, I always set if for one line at a time.The last resort if all else fails might be indeed the xorg.conf file in /etc/X11, but make a backup of it first Dale. <_< You know how to do that, don't you ?

$ cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /home/Dale/xorg.conf~

Not sure what you mean by all applications ,, but if you mean does it do it on everything I go to then YES it does that ........ no matter which browser I am using ....

:w00t: :hmm: ...............you're slow already changed to KDE and made the change as you suggested ,,, it helped a lot .. now its about 90pct better .. still not as good as PCLOS or MD but a whole lot better thaqn what I had..