Slack 11 Is In, Baby!

V.T. Eric Layton

You think maybe reinstalling using ext3 instead of ReiserFS would make any difference?
Bingo ! . . . Yep that might indeed help ! ( that is if you do not use the intird.gz in Lilo . . . . because for Reiser the intird.gz is absolutely needed ! )B) BrunoPS: Urmas, thanks ! . . . I forgot about Dugan's site B)

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• V.T. Eric Layton

• Bruno

• sloppyslacker

• ross549

V.T. Eric Layton

I never installed LILO. Could that be what's up here? If that's the case, I'll reinstall Slack in a heartbeat on ext3 partitions. Hmm... one thing though, could I leave my /home partition as ReiserFS with no problems. I don't want to have to reformat my /home and lose all my stuff. I can if I have to, though... no probs.

Edited by V.T. Eric Layton

The problem is Eric, that it needs to load the reiserfs drivers at boot . . . and that can only be done by creating an initrd.gz ( with mkinitrd, I think I linked you to the info in another thread ).If you do not want to do that you can not use reiserfs at all.B) BrunoPS: yep you can add the line to the initrd.gz in the ubuntu grub's menu.lst if that is the grub you are using to multiboot.

V.T. Eric Layton

OK, I can do that (make an initrd.gz). However, how would I get Ubuntu's GRUB to load it?Also, making that initrd.gz is for the 2.6 kernel. Can I still do it for the 2.4? Remember, I went back to 2.4 after 2.6 didn't improve anything.

PS: yep you can add the line to the initrd.gz in the ubuntu grub's menu.lst if that is the grub you are using to multiboot.
I figured as much... just making sure.

Yep just add a line:

initrd		/boot/slack/initrd.gz

just under the "kernel" line. ( adapt the path B) ):thumbsup: BrunoPS: If your initrd.gz is from the 2.6 kernel you can just as well go for the 2.6 kernel to boot from too.PS2: Have to go now . . . car needs winter-check and kitchen needs shopping B)

V.T. Eric Layton

I'll play with it later today, Bruno. Thanks for the help. Hopefully, that was the problem, and after reading a bit about how ReiserFS works, I believe that it is. I'll create an initrd for the 2.4 kernel that I have installed and modify my GRUB in Ubuntu. That should do it. I can't wait to test hdparm after on that first boot up!Have a great day!G'night from Tampa...~Eric

Edited by V.T. Eric Layton

Winter-check in Holland? Making sure the windows are closed? Cranking down A/C a notch or two? :hysterical:
:hysterical: . . . . . . :w00t: . . . . How cold does it get up there in the north Urmas ?? . . . LOLB) Bruno

V.T. Eric Layton

Well... good news and bad news on the Slack front.BAD: The creation of the initrd.gz for the 2.4 kernel did NOT improve the hard drive performance at all.I decided to just reinstall a fresh Slack using the 2.6 kernel and the ext3 file system.GOOD: The drive performance is now on a par with the other distros. DMA is on.BAD: I don't have any mouse action in Slack now. The pointer just sits in the middle of the screen. I can't move it. :thumbsup: I've made the recommended changes in xorg.conf as per Bruno's Tips. That had no effect.More BAD: I have no network access in Slack currently. :(Well, at least that drive problem is fixed, eh? B)

Hi EricSounds to me as if you did not adapt the Ubuntu grub to use the correct kernel of your new Slackware install . . . . Or another something in the Ubuntu grub menu.lst that is not correct in the Slackware sub-section.B) Bruno

V.T. Eric Layton

Nah... that's not it, Bruno. I think I figured out what it was, but in the meantime, I just spilled a whole cup of coffee on my favorite keyboard. It no worky no mo... B) I'm using a Dell (Blech!) keyboard that I had sitting around here. I'll have to learn how to type all over again now. I loved my old keyboard. :(Anywho... I'm booting into Slack right now. I'll let you know if what I did to fix it actually worked. Later...

I just spilled a whole cup of coffee on my favorite keyboard. It no worky no mo... . . . . . . I loved my old keyboard. :thumbsup:
Oooooh noooo . . . I hate when that happens . . . I am very very attached to my keyboard as well ( even got a backup the same brand and type B) ):thumbsup: Bruno

V.T. Eric Layton

Oh, if mine doesn't come back to life on its own, I'll be purchasing one just like it very soon. This DELL keyboard works, but it's just not my old favorite. :(Anywho...Slack is UP! I have mouse. I've installed Dropline Gnome and my other apps. I've migrated my FF and TB profiles. I've set up all my preferences and customizations.I only have one problem... I can't get the Nvidia drivers to install on this kernel. I'm heading to Nvidia's site right now to see if there is a better package for this kernel.Later...PS: Slack is FAST... when the drive is performing as it should. ;)Oh... and what I did to get the mouse back was... are you ready for this? Heh! I forgot to install the kernel modules or make an initrd.gz. I did both... Slack is back... better than before! B)

V.T. Eric Layton

WOO-HOO! Nvidia is IN! No more screen flicker! YAY! :)How'd I do it? Well, I realized after the third of forth try to install it in Run Level 3 that it couldn't compile its own kernel because I didn't have the 2.6 kernel source installed on the partition. Back to the CD... install the kernel source. Nvidia took off running. All's well now!Next up? I have to fix all the little quirks... acroread, java, flash, win32codecs, etc.Off I go... B)

WOO-HOO! Nvidia is IN! No more screen flicker! YAY! :)How'd I do it? Well, I realized after the third of forth try to install it in Run Level 3 that it couldn't compile its own kernel because I didn't have the 2.6 kernel source installed on the partition. Back to the CD... install the kernel source. Nvidia took off running. All's well now!Next up? I have to fix all the little quirks... acroread, java, flash, win32codecs, etc.Off I go... :thumbsup:
Yay! I don't understand why you had so much trouble but I'm glad you've got things working now. B)

V.T. Eric Layton
Yay! I don't understand why you had so much trouble but I'm glad you've got things working now. :D
It's a long story. You'd have to read back 5 pages in this thread to get it all. I wouldn't blame you a bit for skipping that, though. ;)

Oh, if mine doesn't come back to life on its own, I'll be purchasing one just like it very soon. This DELL keyboard works, but it's just not my old favorite. ;)
Take it apart and stick in the dishwasher on low heat. I do it all the time for my keyboards and my console from my car, which always seems to catch crumbs, for some reason. :PAdam

V.T. Eric Layton

I took it apart and cleaned all the liquid out of it, but it was still DOA when I hooked it back up. I'll let it dry for a couple days and then check it again. At least I drink my coffee with nothing in it... no sticky mess in there. :)It was one of these:http://www.activewin.com/reviews/hardware/...s/keyboard2.jpgThey're only about $20. I'll get a new one sometime this week. Bruno mentioned that he loves his keyboard so much that he has a spare just like it. Well, this one was my spare. The original one about a couple years ago. I've been using my spare one ever since. They were kinda' expensive when I first bought them... $40 or so. They're cheap now.Actually, I'm getting used to this DELL keyboard already. ;)Here's the ugly thing that I'm using now:http://www.ticketingsystems.com/images/har...ll_keyboard.png

It's a long story. You'd have to read back 5 pages in this thread to get it all. I wouldn't blame you a bit for skipping that, though. ;)
Oh no, I already read through it all the first time and I still don't understand.LOL However, had I gone through all that too, I'd probably have a better idea of all you went through.

V.T. Eric Layton

Oh, this is nothing. You should read some of the older threads of mine around here from back when I was REALLY new at this. HAHA! :o Back then it was ALL Greek to me. A lot of what I've learned over the past 5 months is due to the wonderful folks here at ATL. ;) Psssst... see if you can find the thread where I ripped my system off the desk and through it on the floor and stomped up and down on it. THAT'S entertainment! :D

Psssst... see if you can find the thread where I ripped my system off the desk and through it on the floor and stomped up and down on it. THAT'S entertainment! ;)
ROFLMAO!!! It might give me ideas if/when I have that kind of trouble.:D

That is the same keyboard I have at home... stuck it in the dishwasher more than once. :D
Psssst... see if you can find the thread where I ripped my system off the desk and through it on the floor and stomped up and down on it. THAT'S entertainment! ;)
I remember reading that..... "Umm, guys..... I kicked my computer and threw it on the floor."I remember thinking to myself..... "Hmm..... this is someone to avoid when angry. He's unstable!":w00t:Adam

V.T. Eric Layton

Nah... I'm a gentle giant when it comes to people or little animals. It's the inanimate objects that should be very, very afraid. ;)

Anywho...Slack is UP! PS: Slack is FAST... when the drive is performing as it should. ;)
WOO-HOO! Nvidia is IN! No more screen flicker! YAY! :o
Congrats Eric !!! . . . Well done . . . . glad Slack is running like it is supposed to run.:D Bruno

V.T. Eric Layton

Like I've said before... "today's big problems soon become yesterday's ho-hum fixes." Heh! ;)Now all I need to do in Slack is find somewhere to get some of the non-free codecs and I also need to get Mplayer installed and working from within the browser. Oh, and Acrobat Reader too.Speaking of auto-mounting (I saw Noon's thread about it), I don't mind manually mounting my Zip drive in Slack. The question is this: will I just need to create a line in fstab to mount it or will I have to go through all that baloney like I did in Ubuntu, where I had to install the script to mknod in boot? Hmm... I'll play around with fstab tomorrow and see if I can manually mount the Zip without all that other jazz.Shoot! It's 3AM again here. How the time does fly when you're having FUN!G'night all...~Eric

Hi EricFor the codecs . . . . I think Dugan has a good section about it: http://www.vcn.bc.ca/~dugan/setting-up-slackware.htmlAnd the mknod . . . . depends if you use udev . . . if you don't the node will be there in /dev already ( or else you only have to make it once because /dev is not re-created at every boot )So your zip-drive problem could be fairly simple to solve.;) Bruno

V.T. Eric Layton

Well, I'm all Slacked out for a while. I'm still having some issues with Slack...1) apps I've installed using installpkg aren't working2) I can't set up my printer3) my desktop wallpaper settings freak out occasionally4) other miscellaneous quirky behaviorsI'll get back to it later...

• 3 weeks later...
V.T. Eric Layton

Who is the Dropline Gnome guru around here? I've got a weird problem with DLG in Slack. Whenever I click on the launcher for my /home directory that is on my panel, it opens multiple instances of nautilus... sometimes up to 20 of them. What could be causing this. Any guesses?