Best Methods for T-Shooting Boot-up Problems in Ubuntu???

V.T. Eric Layton

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• V.T. Eric Layton

• Bruno

• Frank Golden

• Urmas

Frank Golden
That makes sense, I s'pose. :thumbsup:
Eric, Don't use Automatix any more. Try Easy Ubuntu instead. That's if you reinstall again.I see you don't have cold start issue with FC5. Maybe Automtix and Nvdia are screwing up your Ubuntu. I really don't know.

V.T. Eric Layton

Haven't done a true cold start with Fedora yet, Frank... tomorrow morning I will though. I just booted into Fedora now, but the system had been on for about an hour already because I was installing Win XP on the RAID drive. I now have a nice fresh Win XP Pro on that drive - no updates, no networking setup. I don't even plan to access the Net with that OS, so why bother with updates, firewalls, networking, or any of that baloney. It's just there for games, if I ever get a minute to play any again. I'm hip deep over here in Linux tech books right now. Just got a 1100+ page behemoth tonight called Mastering Fedora Core 5 by Michael Jang... everything you ever wanted to know about Fedora Core 5 but were afraid to ask. :o

Frank Golden
Haven't done a true cold start with Fedora yet, Frank... tomorrow morning I will though. I just booted into Fedora now, but the system had been on for about an hour already because I was installing Win XP on the RAID drive. I now have a nice fresh Win XP Pro on that drive - no updates, no networking setup. I don't even plan to access the Net with that OS, so why bother with updates, firewalls, networking, or any of that baloney. It's just there for games, if I ever get a minute to play any again. I'm hip deep over here in Linux tech books right now. Just got a 1100+ page behemoth tonight called Mastering Fedora Core 5 by Michael Jang... everything you ever wanted to know about Fedora Core 5 but were afraid to ask. :o
Cool. If FC5 boots cold ok. Then I guess your issue is Ubuntu related. There is a lot of debateat various sites about Automatix. Personally I used EasyUbuntu to setup my restricted codecs,plugins etc. My ATi X1400 however I used the ATi Ubuntu Wiki to install the 3D drivers.I read somewhere to use that method and not Automatix or EasyUbuntu for video carddrivers. If it doesn't boot cold then.....

V.T. Eric Layton

Well, this last time I installed the nvidia driver manually. However, that doesn't mean that Automatix might not have caused some other problem.Check out my Fedora diary... I think I may have trashed my upgraded kernel with an nvidia install. Fortunately, my older kernel seems fine. I'm in Fedora now.