Install software

irvdk

Hi IrvI think if you open a terminal and type "slapt" you will get a tool like the synaptics one you had in PCLos . . . . I am not at home right now, so I can not check on my vector . . . but I will be in 1.5 hour from now.:o BrunoPS: What version of Vector are you running ?? ( so we can see what Slackware compatible packages we can get )

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• irvdk

• Bruno

• Urmas

• burninbush

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi IrvI think if you open a terminal and type "slapt" you will get a tool like the synaptics one you had in PCLos . . . . I am not at home right now, so I can not check on my vector . . . but I will be in 1.5 hour from now.:o BrunoPS: What version of Vector are you running ?? ( so we can see what Slackware compatible packages we can get )
Bruno,I installed VectorLinux 5.0 rc2. I have tried that and all I get is slapt: command not found. So I typed in slapt-get and got a list of targets and a list of options, which I have no idea what I am supposed to do with them. I did this from the root.

Google found some info:As user type "slapt-gui" and that should give you the GUI tool."slapt-get --available" should list the packages in the commandline way . . .so better use the GUI ;)I will see what version Slack compares to VectorLinux 5.0 rc2B) BrunoUPDATE: as far as I can trace it is based on Slackware 10.0 . . . . and you should be able to get packages from: http://linuxpackages.net/ ( put the module on 10.0 and get only .tgz packages ! )Then the install works like this:

# installpkg name_of_package.tgz

I will do the rest of the research when I am at home :o . . . BTW, I have version 5.1

Google found some info:As user type "slapt-gui" and that should give you the GUI tool."slapt-get --available" should list the packages in the commandline way . . .so better use the GUI ;)I will see what version Slack compares to VectorLinux 5.0 rc2B) BrunoUPDATE: as far as I can trace it is based on Slackware 10.0 . . . . and you should be able to get packages from: http://linuxpackages.net/ ( put the module on 10.0 and get only .tgz packages ! )Then the install works like this:
# installpkg name_of_package.tgz

I will do the rest of the research when I am at home :o . . . BTW, I have version 5.1

Hey...I need to know how you check which version that you have? Just to be sure. Edited by irvdk

Hi IrvI am back home . . . . can you do the following command for me: ( to check the Slack-version )

# cat /etc/slackware-version

:o Bruno

Aaahaa . . it is based on 10.1 . . . so let us write that down and remember when we get Slackware packages :DNow I like you to do a little test:

$ su < password ># slapt-get --update# slapt-gui

You will get a window pop up . . . look for the package called "xmahjongg" and select it . . then press the "install-button" . . . . when it is installed close the window and back in the terminal type:

# exit$ xmahjongg

And your new installed program should start up so you can play ;)Question: Does this work for you ?:o Bruno

Aaahaa . . it is based on 10.1 . . . so let us write that down and remember when we get Slackware packages :DNow I like you to do a little test:
$ su < password ># slapt-get --update# slapt-gui

You will get a window pop up . . . look for the package called "xmahjongg" and select it . . then press the "install-button" . . . . when it is installed close the window and back in the terminal type:

# exit$ xmahjongg

And your new installed program should start up so you can play ;)Question: Does this work for you ?:o Bruno

(slapt-gui:7325): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display: root@vector:# slapt-guiXlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by serverXlib: No protocol specified(slapt-gui:7326): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display: root@vector:#

(slapt-gui:7325): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display: root@vector:# slapt-guiXlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by serverXlib: No protocol specified(slapt-gui:7326): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display: root@vector:#
Bruno, I just changed to my user and the gui works...

Set to Show: AllI think it did, but I will do it again. Should I stay in # after they d/l or go to $ and then run the slapt-gui?

Edited by irvdk

Next lesson:Go to http://www.linuxpackages.netIn the top left corner change the mode to 10.1 and search for "supertux"It will find this page for the package "supertux" ( one of the nicest nice Linux games ): http://www.linuxpackages.net/search_view.p...pertux&ver=10.1Click on the link "download" . . . you will get a new page with mirrors . . here you choose:The FTP or HTP of any mirror that works and gives you "supertux-0.1.3-i486-1rsa.tgz" ( I took the russian mirror )It will download "supertux-0.1.3-i486-1rsa.tgz" . . . download it to your /home/irvOnce it is downloaded you open a terminal and do:

$ su< password ># installpkg supertux-0.1.3-i486-1rsa.tgz

That will install the package ;)Next in the terminal:

# exit$ supertux

And you can play the game :DHave FUN . . I will see you tomorrow for further lessons ;):o Bruno

Next lesson:Go to http://www.linuxpackages.netIn the top left corner change the mode to 10.1 and search for "supertux"It will find this page for the package "supertux" ( one of the nicest nice Linux games ): http://www.linuxpackages.net/search_view.p...pertux&ver=10.1Click on the link "download" . . . you will get a new page with mirrors . . here you choose:The FTP or HTP of any mirror that works and gives you "supertux-0.1.3-i486-1rsa.tgz" ( I took the russian mirror )It will download "supertux-0.1.3-i486-1rsa.tgz" . . . download it to your /home/irvOnce it is downloaded you open a terminal and do:
$ su< password ># installpkg supertux-0.1.3-i486-1rsa.tgz

That will install the package ;)Next in the terminal:

# exit$ supertux

And you can play the game :DHave FUN . . I will see you tomorrow for further lessons ;):whistling: Bruno

Thanks Bruno,I followed your instructions. When it came time to download, I was'nt given an option to select the download location. It defaulted to the Downloads Window, http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/2073/img000210bx.jpg. which is set to D.L all file to the desktop.It worked perfectly other then that. I am going to sit and play with it on the laptop.I guess at this point my question is how do you find out the names of the things that you want to download i.e.supertux. See you tomorrow..now its my bedtime... :thumbsdown: Irv Edited by irvdk

Hi Irv . . . that will just take some time to get used to the way Linux names its programs . . . . to accelerate this you can run as many Live CDs as you can and note down the programs you like and want to install in Vector.Just experiment a bit . . . at this moment you are running VectorLinux 5.0 rc2 and the "rc2" in the name means it is a "release candidate" . . . not really a "stable" edition but a glorified "beta" version. So my advise is to play with it without fear, and once you really mess it up ( and you will because everybody does that when learning ) we will replace it with a stable version.:thumbsdown: Bruno

The Slapt-GUI 2.0.3 pops up but there is nothing in the window
Are the repositorys enabled? I Gooooogled a bit, and found THIS REVIEW.Here's the relevant part:
Vectors Gslapt package management GUI refused to run no matter how I tried it when logged in as a user. I had to log in as root (starting it from a root terminal when logged in as a user did not work either). From the forums I learned this is a known issue and had to install the gksu package using slapt-get and then edit the XFCE menus to call gslapt with the commandgksu -u root /usr/sbin/gslaptPackages are sourced from online repositories defined in /etc/slapt-get/slapt-getrc There is only one source predefined for the vector repository. If one is added for Slackware then Slack packages can be installed easily. As noted earlier the Slack package nfs-utils is essential to get NFS working.

Good Morning to you all,Well here it is another day at the Linux factory :whistling: I was able to get the slapt-gui to run by following the steps you gave me Bruno:# exit$ xhost +$ su< password ># set DISPLAY=localhost:0.0# slapt-guiThe window is full of applications now, and I have just done an "update package list". Under the column labeled "Version" everything is [inst=no] so I am assumming that means they are not installed. One of the packages that I see there is "gslapt-0.3.11-i386-1" Is that the one that the article refers to Urmas? I am going to run PCLinux LiveCD on the big machine, but want to use a GUI desktop??? Is that what it's called? If so how do I do that? :thumbsdown:

Edited by irvdk

I am going to run PCLinux LiveCD on the big machine, but want to use a GUI desktop??? Is that what it's called? If so how do I do that? :D
It'll come up that way as a default -- you don't have to do anything special.

Good Morning to you all,Well here it is another day at the Linux factory :lol: I was able to get the slapt-gui to run by following the steps you gave me Bruno:# exit$ xhost +$ su< password ># set DISPLAY=localhost:0.0# slapt-guiThe window is full of applications now, and I have just done an "update package list". Under the column labeled "Version" everything is [inst=no] so I am assumming that means they are not installed. One of the packages that I see there is "gslapt-0.3.11-i386-1" Is that the one that the article refers to Urmas? I am going to run PCLinux LiveCD on the big machine, but want to use a GUI desktop??? Is that what it's called? If so how do I do that? :D
Just so you know: I came across packages in that list that I tried to install but gave the message that they already were installed . . . :D . . . . . Anyway, I am glad you have some listing now in the slapt-gui !:icon8: Bruno

Just so you know: I came across packages in that list that I tried to install but gave the message that they already were installed . . . :icon8: . . . . . Anyway, I am glad you have some listing now in the slapt-gui !:D Bruno
Bruno,I just tried to run it again and it comes up with this:irv@vector:$ gslapt -gui(gslapt:4639): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme file for Grounation has no directories(gslapt:4639): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_ref: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed(gslapt:4639): Pango-CRITICAL **: _pango_engine_shape_covers: assertion `PANGO_IS_FONT (font)' failed(gslapt:4639): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_ref: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed(gslapt:4639): Pango-CRITICAL **: _pango_engine_shape_shape: assertion `PANGO_IS_FONT (font)' failedPango-ERROR **: file shape.c: line 75 (pango_shape): assertion failed: (glyphs->num_glyphs > 0)aborting...Abortedirv@vector:$ IGNORE THIS POST.......INPUT ERROR slapt-gui Edited by irvdk

irv@vector:$ gslapt -gui
Hi Irv . . . . . wasn't the actual command:
# slapt-gui

??? . . . . without the "g" and done after the command "su" and the password ?:D Bruno

Okay . . .found the other tool . . indeed gslapt is possible and maybe an easier tool:

$ xhost +$ su< password ># set DISPLAY=localhost:0.0# gslapt

So just "gslapt" . . and not "gslapt -gui":D Bruno