Mandrake Updates and URPMI´s

teacher

I* think I have about an extra 4 GB of space. It looks like it might take a while to download. It shows 699.35 for size and thinks it will take 3:33 to do the rest. I assume that is the hours and minutes. While we wait?I did not get XMMS to find the right drive. It looked like it was going to and then stopped. It might have eventually if I waited long enough. It is now 3:22. I will print out the code and hang on to it! Maybe not in my notebook :blink:

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bruno

• teacher

• quint

• GolfProRM

Top Posters In This Topic

JuliaTo show you how I got the code:ftp://ftp.uni-kl.de/pub/linux/knoppix/This was part of the URL you use for download, if you go there you see a lot of files also:KNOPPIX_V3.2-2003-06-06-EN.iso ( that is the one your downloading, came out June 6 2003 and the version is English )Just below you see:KNOPPIX_V3.2-2003-06-06-EN.iso.md5 ( The md5 means it is the code, you also see that it is 1 KB )I downloaded that file and got : ca04a0e0dfac1c84666330d4cefbbbe1 KNOPPIX_V3.2-2003-06-06-EN.isoThat´s all there is to it !:blink: Bruno

I'm sure that you're far too beautiful, to ever turn into quint. :blink:
Don't you know that beauty is in the mind? It has nothing to do with looks. I knew all I had to do is say Quint and you would be here. I think you have something on your computer that tells you when your name is used in a post! It is like you have a search engine that refreshes every two minutes. Something about an install party and there you are!Welcome aboard. I value your comments. After all, you are the pro at multiple operating systems.

KNOPPIX_V3.2-2003-06-06-EN.iso ( that is the one your downloading, came out June 6 2003 and the version is English )
I just turned on galeon, pasted the forum link, clicked on the link in the post an right clicked and told it to download. I never thought about checking the language until I went back to print the check sum. I guess I am trusting. If you were feeling onery, you could have linked me to a site to put everything into Dutch since you know that is the one language I can not figure out! Maybe we will have to start the Dutch word of the day tip (especially since we have such an international forum population! :blink: ) :lol:

JuliaLove doing two things at the same time:XMMS, if you rightclick in the left top of the xmms gui, you get a menu, then you can choose play directory, look for /mnt wait till it automounts and choose the cdrom, click OK. That schould do the trick.:blink: Bruno

KNOPPIX_V3.2-2003-06-06-EN.iso ( that is the one your downloading, came out June 6 2003 and the version is English )
I just turned on galeon, pasted the forum link, clicked on the link in the post an right clicked and told it to download. I never thought about checking the language until I went back to print the check sum. I guess I am trusting. If you were feeling onery, you could have linked me to a site to put everything into Dutch since you know that is the one language I can not figure out! Maybe we will have to start the Dutch word of the day tip (especially since we have such an international forum population! :blink: ) :)
Don´t worry love you´re downloading the English version ! I´m still well awake ! ;):lol: Bruno

Plan of attack.Check numbers to make sure the code matches. Burn ISO CDReboot with CD and run from CDLeave Computer with just the dual XP/Mandrake OS!Sounds so simple! :blink:

Plan of attack.Check numbers to make sure the code matches. Burn ISO CDReboot with CD and run from CDLeave Computer with just the dual XP/Mandrake OS!Sounds so simple! ;)
Yep, you got the message Julia ! That is the plan. And it is a good way of practising what we will have to do in 2 - 3 month from now when the new Mandrake 9.2 will hit the mirrors ! By that time we want you so accustomed with this process that just 1 time installing the OS will do. No more re-installs just 1 time and go ! That leaves us with at least 2 month we can get you fully Linux-I-know-how-to-do-it ! :):) Bruno

Four minutes from reboot to typing this. I think that is a record. Having fun playing with the Knoppix Live CD. It easily recognized all my hardware and configured it to work. Screen looks logical and very similar to the Mandrake version. Gee O even found the mozilla browser on the toolbar. It has the same four windows. It is so much like the Mandrake so far. I have browsed through the control panel and looked around at the setup. I don't see any advantages over Mandrake but it is a nice operating system. It appears to make things on the control panel menu easier to get to. What was down three or four menus is only down two, but there is a lot more to go through on those two menus. I think that is just a matter of personal desire. The only thing I don't like - which is probably changeable is the cursor. When you are somewhere you can type, it gives an awful shadow that makes it appear blurry!Now I can say I am familiar with Knoppix. Do I have a desire to install it? No. If I had learned it first I might prefer it to Mandrake but that would only be minor. Since I am not doing any updates, it is hard to guess.

Hi JuliaThe simularities you see between Mandrake and Debian is because the both have KDE as windowmanager. Only the KDE version in Mandrake is one sub-version higher. This makes them look very much the same.Updating Knoppix does not make much sense because it runs from CD and nothing can be written to the CD as you run it. Some config settings could be saved to HD, but even that does not make much sense because we will use Knoppix pure and alone as rescue disk.I only wanted you to do the exercise of ISO download, checking and burning in Linux. An exercise you did successuly.:D Bruno*I have a new project for today, but let me work on it first, I´ll come back to you !

I have a new project for today, but let me work on it first, I´ll come back to you !
Should I be nervous when he says something like that? Somehow I suspect he is up to something.

No reason to be nervous my dear. . . . . . . tell me, you can choose: OR we install a few new programs today, OR we do another exersice in downloading checking and burning the Live Slackware CD ( only 200 MB ) just for the fun of it, makes you have 3 distro´s then . . ! :):D Bruno

This is only day two of summer vacation and see what he has me doing? Slack would be okay. What programs did you have in mind?

As I pull back from looking at Slack!: Me go off? Do you think you just have to mention a program and I am off and hunting? You know me too well.

These are the two programs I´d like you to install:The first and most important is Anacron, you´ll find it in the MCC and you will need your Cds:

If you run Mandrake ( RedHat has anacron installed as default ) and your computer is not ON 24 hrs a day, there are several “cron-jobs†( maintenance ) that might be forgotten because they are planned for 3 – 4 o'clock at night.Installing “anacron†will set this straight, anacron picks up forgotten cron-jobs and executes them 5 minutes after you boot your computer. ( You will notice extra activity of your CPU and harddisk for about 5 to 7 minutes ! )Typical cron-jobs are “updatedb†updating the 'locate' database and various other databases. “Logrotate†that zips up old logfiles, /var/log/syslog and /var/log/messages might grow so big that in extreme cases you could run out of diskspace : resulting in having to reinstall the OS !Installing anacron is simple and needs no configuring.Mandrake Control Center --> Software Management --> Installing Software --> search for anacron.
The second is my all time favorite: The Gkrellm systemmonitors !! Go and have a look in the Screenshot thread and you´ll see it to the right on my dektop.Do a search in the MCC and report back to me what packages you find. Do not install anything yet, let´s see first what versions from what sources you can choose.:D Bruno

Anacron-2.3--11mdk?gkrellm-2.1.7a-2mdkgkrellm-devel-2.1.7a-2mdkgkrellm-plugins-2.1.7a-2mdkgkrellm-server-2.1.7a-2mdkgkrellm-themes-0.2-3mdkI assume download all except server?

You did well there my brilliant pupil !Install Anacron first ( need your CDs )And then the whole lot of Gkrellm, also the ¨server¨ all 5 packages ! ( all those are on your CDs as well )Anacron will run in the background, you will never see that one agian. The Gkrellm system monitors will have an entry in your menu after installing: Applications --> Monitoring --> Gkrellm you can drag a shortcut on your desktop or in the ¨taskbar¨Rapport back to me if all installs are complete and you´ve got Gkrellm on your desktop so we can configure it.:D Bruno

Gee you´re a fast learner, good thing I did some preparation of this lesson ( like every teacher should do :D )You can configure Gkrellm in 2 ways: rightclick the top and choose configure. There you can walk trough the different sections. Once the sections are set up you can close that config-window and right-click on a section and do some individual config to that peticular section, size, number of lines, subsections etc.I will dig up the story for configuring your local weather station-information ( one of the plugins ) but for the time being you will have fun making Gkrellm look the way you want. :DOn the first config screen you can set that Gkrellm will start automaticaly every time you boot your computer.Have fun, any questions: I´m right here !:) Bruno

I gave it the four letter abbreviation - K2DP but it continues to show Sydney. Do I need to close it and reopen it or do something different?

Hi Julia here is the full text:GKRELLM WEATHER APPLETFor anyone interested in the weather outside whilst sitting at his computer, the Gkrellm Weather plugin is easy to configure.Get the 4 letter station ID at http://www.nws.noaa.gov/tg/siteloc.shtml of your regional weather station. Choose the way you want the wind speed to show ( km/h, m/s or beaufort ). And it will show : - Temperature, Relative Humidity - DewPoint, Pressure (altimeter)- Wind Direction, Wind Speed- Sky Condition (if available)- The Name of the StationIf you´re ever stuck for things to talk about, the weather sure is a topic. :) :DWorks only at next reboot ! ( server has to be activated :) )B) Bruno

Now what? I have 45 minutes before I need to go get one neighborhood kid from work and bring him home. :D

Now what ? You mean you have it looking nice and neat ? And how do you like Gkrellm ?And how´s the weather at your side of the ocean ??You could post us a nice screenshot :D :D :D to start with !!B) Bruno

Looking out my window: Sunshine, nice, warm. Swim pools - warm water. Ocean - a little cold yet but bearable, especially if you are here on vacation. Tourists in the water - most. Locals in the water - few.There's my weather update. I have it at 140% in size, just showing CPU, mail, and weather. I won't know for sure if I have the mail right until I get some mail in.Have you found a slackware live site yet? Is the 663MB ISO the live flavor? If so, I found it.Ready for action! :D

Just CPU mail and weather ??? And your Processes, your eth0, your HD activety ?? You need that info too, I suspect a lazy job there Julia !! Anyway you can do that while I´m asleep later !Just want to post you the ¨mailcheck story first:

I have to warn you: I disabled the mailcheck in Gkrellm and am using the one incorporated in Evolution, because there was a bug either in Gkrellm or Galeon that made Galeon crash everytime mail came in and I was posting on the forum, not with browsing but only with posting. Some bugs have been fixed since, but I never went back to the mailcheck in Gkrellm.GKRELLM MAILCHECK and SOUND The mail configuration file of the Gkrellm system monitors ( giga cool ! ) could give you a major headache, particularly with the sound notification. It's suprisingly simple though. On the setup tab of the mail section: Mail reading program  -  evolution ( or whatever program you prefer ) Notify ( sound ) program  -  /usr/bin/kaboodle  /home/bruno/sounds/newmail.wav ( needles to say: the path to your soundfile is up to you ) Check local mailboxes  -  300 sec Do remote checks every  -  2 minutes On the mailboxes tab: Select "remote mailbox" and you can fill in the pop server, username and password. Press add and do the next one if you've got more then one mail address to be checked. The rest of the tabs won't give you any problems. Now sit back and wait for the mail to arrive !
I will post the Slack info in a minute !:D Bruno

Like Knoppix and DemoLinix, now you can also try Slackware that runs from CD.From Freshmeat:

Slackware Live CD is a 200MB live Linux distribution on CD that is based on Slackware. It features many add-ons, including the scripts required to create your own live CD.The ISO image fits the 190MB CD-RW medium now. There are new mouse cursors for Xwindows. KDE 3.1.2 , Kopete 0.6.2 (a lot of bugs fixed), a flag for international keyboard support under KDE, the ability to run something automatically after booting (autoexec), and the Quanta HTML and PHP WYSIWYG editor have been added. The ramdisk takes 22 MB now to raise free ramdisk space. Mplayer has been recompiled for CPU autodetection. Some 75dpi international fonts have been removed, as has emacs.
Slackware Live HomepageThe ISO file ( 200 MB ):D Bruno As you boot from CD you will get a prompt once Slack is totaly loaded. you have to type ¨win¨ at the prompt to get a GUI !!

Have you found a slackware live site yet? Is the 663MB ISO the live flavor? If so, I found it.
NO it´s not that one ! See post here above !:D Bruno* such an impatient pupil !

That is in the works. You really want me to get an education today. Right? And you thought you were going to get some work done today. :D