FTP install Mandriva 2006 FINAL

Bruno

I have to say I'm very disappointed with the new Mandriva. I cannot connect to the internet or access my samba connections. In fact, the problems I'm having mirror those I had with SuSE. Normally, Mandriva detects my ADSL connection without being prompted. This version doesn't even respond to manual connections. Ive checked that there is no firewall operating.I think I'll go back to RC1 and await the FTP isos becoming available. :whistling:
Hi Jan. I'm giving Mandriva another chance by reinstalling. It took me 5 attempts to get on ftp.nluug. but I am now installing. I have decided to install both KDE and Gnome to see if the problem is with my machine or the 3.4 KDE. I know that 3.5 works like a charm on my new SuSE 10.1 Alpha 1. I have been using it a fair bit so far ( well I shouldn't say that really, mostly the firefox browser ) and I find it quite stable. Mandriva started falling apart, it even crashed, can you believe that. Anyway, I'll let you know how the new install goes.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bruno

• réjean

• ozgeek

• Rons

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Jan. I'm giving Mandriva another chance by reinstalling. It took me 5 attempts to get on ftp.nluug. but I am now installing. I have decided to install both KDE and Gnome to see if the problem is with my machine or the 3.4 KDE. I know that 3.5 works like a charm on my new SuSE 10.1 Alpha 1. I have been using it a fair bit so far ( well I shouldn't say that really, mostly the firefox browser ) and I find it quite stable. Mandriva started falling apart, it even crashed, can you believe that. Anyway, I'll let you know how the new install goes.
Hi Rejean,I've re-installed RC1 and everything works, so I'm thinking that the FTP install might have been faulty. Anyway, I'll stick with RC1 for now and see what develops.I'll be interested to see how your latest attempt goes :whistling:

Bad news!Upon completion of the installation I rebooted and the progress bar moved about 25% of the way and stalled there. I rebooted at least 4 times with always the same result.I used my good old Mandrake CD-rescue and notice in the verbose that

mounting local file system failed

plus some other that I was expecting like the eth0 card ( I'm kindda in safe mode or failsafe am I not). Then the desktop is just the same as it was during the last install.I was hoping that removing the CD-rescue and rebooting would take me back to the desktop as it should but I am still going no more than 25% of the way.I really don't know what else to tell you or what to do. Maybe try a different mirror? I kind of doubt they are as generous as Bruno.I went to Bitbender Forums after my 2nd install partially failed and he mentions :

10). Choose "Specify the FTP site manually" --> OK then EnterTwo servers that work, ftp.de.uu.net and ftp.nl.uu.net11). "FTP Server" ftp.nl.uu.net12). "Mandrakelinux Directory" /pub/linux/Mandrakelinux/official/10.1/i586/
Should I try one of them?P.S.The good news is that at least one of the 2 distros I've tried installing in the last 2 days, SuSE 10.1, is still working and that I like it more and more. Edited by réjean

Sorry to hear you didn't have any better luck, Rejean. I'm now back in the RC1 and everything is working fine. I think I'll wait for the isos to be on the FTP sites. I had all sorts of weird messages when I did my FTP install.Better luck next time :D

Jan & Rejean, I almost feel guilty by not having any problems more than two very minor annoyances (which were rectified quickly). :( I will keep this version right where it's at, and probably forsake the "final CD's"; I will, however, order the "Power Pack" as this is my favorite "Mandrake/Mandriva" version yet! :) I do hope that you both do not "throw in the towel" on Mandriva...there has to be a simple explanation for your rough times. Hang in there... :D P.S.: This particular "FTP install" was my easiest yet, which also has me thinking that there's a simple solution. :(

Jan & Rejean, I almost feel guilty by not having any problems more than two very minor annoyances (which were rectified quickly). :( I will keep this version right where it's at, and probably forsake the "final CD's"; I will, however, order the "Power Pack" as this is my favorite "Mandrake/Mandriva" version yet! :) I do hope that you both do not "throw in the towel" on Mandriva...there has to be a simple explanation for your rough times. Hang in there... :D P.S.: This particular "FTP install" was my easiest yet, which also has me thinking that there's a simple solution. :(
Hi Quint,Something was definitely amiss with my FTP install. Mandriva has always been my most reliable distro and it was, therefore, a big surprise when it didn't behave as expected. Perhaps a different mirror might produce a better result. I never give up ! I'll try again shortly. I just needed to have a working copy and that's why I re-installed the RC1.

Should I try one of them?
Hi Réjean . . . . I remember you had troubles with ftp.nluug.nl before ( still puzzled why that is ) . . . so yes you could try the ftp.de.uu.net and ftp.nl.uu.netB) Bruno

hi everyone its been long time since i been on this board! i decided to come here when i heard about the final mandriva!! whata job Bruno, posting those links, i installed the mandriva last night from the ftp. i am sorry to say that ftp didnt work for some of you but i worked like magic form me i installed it in one hour. i dont know much about linux infact the last distro i tried was mandrake 10.1, but this distro looks amazing and feels very stable and fast boot up time, these were the main reasons for instlling this operating system on my brand new laptop!

I have re-installed Mandriva using a different ftp site. So far, so good. Both my internet and network connections are present. For anyone interested ,here is the site I used.ftp-stud.fht-esslingen.de/Mirrors/Mandrakelinux/devel/2006.0/i586My installation went very smoothly and in half the time it took on Nluug. Nluug is a very popular site and may have been clogged.Anyway, glad to have Mandrake up and running. I'm just now tweaking everything to my taste. :D :(

Any essentail tweaks that i should know!?
Hi Metho,I just personalize things like Thunderbird and Firefox and setup Samba. I also have my "must have" things like Klipper and Gftp and the excellent Web Editor NVU.If you find the menus on Firefox too small to read confortably I have an excellent code to insert into Chromedit . If there is anything specific you need please let me know.

Hi Metho, setup Samba. I also have my "must have" things like Klipper and Gftp and the excellent Web Editor NVU.
well i am googling at the moment to setup samba and i would want to know about Klipper and GFTP!!! i will let you know if i found something constructive on setup of samba or not, if not then i may require your help!!

well i am googling at the moment to setup samba and i would want to know about Klipper and GFTP!!! i will let you know if i found something constructive on setup of samba or not, if not then i may require your help!!
I'll be delighted to help. I'm signing off now but will check with you tomorrow. :D

Yesterday I tried to upgrade it from 'ftp.nluug.nl' but didn't work....So going to try it from the ftp source ozgeek suggested....Is this the correct way to add the source......

# urpmi.addmedia --distrib --probe-synthesis --wget nluug- ftp://ftp-stud.fht-esslingen.de/Mirrors/Mandrakelinux/devel/2006.0/i586/

Is this the correct way to add the source......
# urpmi.addmedia --distrib --probe-synthesis --wget nluug- ftp://ftp-stud.fht-esslingen.de/Mirrors/Mandrakelinux/devel/2006.0/i586/

Yep that code is correct . . . you could change the "nluug-" to "esslingen-" if you want, but that is not essential for letting the code work.I have to say that for some the upgrading from RC2 to "Final" did not work out okay . . . and that maybe a "clean"FTP install would be better.:angry2: Bruno

.FTP install Mandriva 2006 Final . . . yep it is possible from today . . . but note that the URL for the FTP install might change around Thursday 6 Oct . . . ( I will post the new URL when that happens )Here is the info ************Are you sure that is the "final" and not the latest cooker.It seems to me that the only person having access to the "" Final "" is you.I have all of them on my computer, but I am an early seeder who got them via bittorrent,However, if what you have is the real thing, fine with me.Just check up.to the others, the seeding will start most probably today.

Hi AjarnWelcome to the forum ! :thumbsup:If you look in the devel directory you will see different trees for cooker and 2006. The 2006 is the state of when cooker was frozen and Warly wrote that cooker was frozen and CDs were send in production. In case there would be changes we do a "urpmi.removemedia -a" an "urpmi.addmedia --distrib" and an "urpmi --auto-select" as soon as the 2006 tree appears in the "official" directory. But from what we have seen with previous releases ( since 10.0 ) there were either none or very little changes in that process. ( Though this time I wish they would ship another version of Xorg then the one that was there at the time they froze cooker :blink: ):) Bruno

Updated info:

The current 2006.0 rep in the devel/ section is a cooker fork made moreor less in the same time the 2006 final ISOs were made.I will synchronize it this week with the real 2006.0 Community tree, andit will then be updated regularly.The 2006.0 official tree will also be available in the next few days inthe official/ section.
Will keep you posted ;)>_< Bruno

.IMPORTANT NOTICE:People that did a FTP install from the devel tree ( as described in this thread ) please do:

# urpmi.update -a --wget && urpmi --auto-select --wget

This will get and install the updates :icon8: . . . ( So, don't use the MCC to do the updates yet !! )B) BrunoPS: We will be changing sources to the "official"-tree tomorrow and after that you can follow the regular updates Here ( and use the MCC :lol: )

( So, don't use the MCC to do the updates yet !! )Ooops :icon8: ...too late...is that a bad thing?I installed using the ftp site. Updated once and then when updates started to appearon a mirror closer to me...I changed my update mirror. So is that a bad thing?I did notice in MCC it shows 2006.1 (Cooker) is that RC1?/etc/release shows the same:Mandriva Linux release 2006.1 (Cooker) for i586Thanks in advance for any info...
Edited by alphaomega

Ooops B) ...too late...is that a bad thing?I installed using the ftp site. Updated once and then when updates started to appearon a mirror closer to me...I changed my update mirror. So is that a bad thing?I did notice in MCC it shows 2006.1 (Cooker) is that RC1?/etc/release shows the same:Mandriva Linux release 2006.1 (Cooker) for i586Thanks in advance for any info...
Well, the problem is that you are running "cooker" now :icon8: . . . . and cooker can be very unstable . . . so I would not continue getting the updates from there !If you come back tomorrow, then I will post how to switch the sources from "devel" to "official" ( they are syncing the mirrors right now ) and after that you will be fine.:lol: BrunoPS: If your install has become very unstable by the cooker packages I would advice to re-install either tomorrow from "official" or from CDs if the ISOs are released to public.Though if the stabillity is okay . . . . don't worry and just take next updates from "official"

Well, the problem is that you are running "cooker" now :lol: <snip>PS: If your install has become very unstable by the cooker packages I would advice to re-install either tomorrow from "official" or from CDs if the ISOs are released to public.
So far it has been quite stable except for some fine tuning...I just wish I knew more as a noobie about these dot releases RCs etc.From what I've read...I have RC1 from devel/cooker? Is that right?Either way...I've had no major problems as of yet...I figure I will eventually get the hang of it... :icon8: Thanks

Alpha OmegaCool name - by the way! Welcome aboare.Give yourself some time to learn it all. It does take a little time. We don't learn everything overnight. It takes a while to learn a whole new system. Keep studying and learning and soon you will find yourself understanding it all. :icon8:

alphaomega - welcome. B) I did the same thing.....but only with 5 or so security updates. Seems like the system is running hot, straight and normal. :lol: Will wait for the all clear from Bruno before doing anything else. :icon8:

IMPORTANT NOTICE: Changing sources from devel to official ( for ALL who did the FTP install with the help of this thread before Oct 13th)

Pease folow these instructions:First we remove ALL the old sources ( including the "update-source" some have used by mistake :) )

# urpmi.removemedia -a

Next we add the new sources for "official 2006"

# urpmi.addmedia --distrib nluug- ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/Mandrakelinux/official/2006.0/i586/

( NOTE: Command is ONE line ! )Last step is to update your install to "official 2006"

# urpmi --auto-select --wget

Most likely you will get the message "The package(s) are already installed" ( anyway that is what my FTP install said ) this means that you were indeed running 2006-official as the title of this thread prommised you since Oct 03 :teehee: :DNow you go to the MCC --> Updates and it will get the mirror list for you, select "ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/Mandrakelinux/official/updates" and you will see that after ticking the boxes "Security updates""Bugfixes updates" and "Normal Updates" there will be about 52 MB packages to update:( I list them here so people who by mistake updated to cooker can check the version numbers )Name: drakxtoolsVersion: 10.3-0.64.1.20060mdkName: drakxtools-backendVersion: 10.3-0.64.1.20060mdkName: drakxtools-newtVersion: 10.3-0.64.1.20060mdkName: ghostscriptVersion: 8.15-22.1.20060mdkName: ghostscript-module-XVersion: 8.15-22.1.20060mdkName: harddrakeVersion: 10.3-0.64.1.20060mdkName: harddrake-uiVersion: 10.3-0.64.1.20060mdkName: hplip-hpijsVersion: 0.9.5-1.1.20060mdkName: hylafaxVersion: 4.2.1-2.1.20060mdkName: libijs1Version: 0.35-22.1.20060mdkName: libopenssl0.9.7Version: 0.9.7g-2.1.20060mdkName: libopenssl0.9.7-develVersion: 0.9.7g-2.1.20060mdkName: libxine1Version: 1.1.0-8.1.20060mdkName: opensslVersion: 0.9.7g-2.1.20060mdkName: xine-artsVersion: 1.1.0-8.1.20060mdkName: xine-pluginsVersion: 1.1.0-8.1.20060mdkAfter this you can follow the updates in the new 2006 "NEW UPDATES" thread here: http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.php?showtopic=13415B) Bruno

NOTE: The info in the first post of this thread is adapted to the new URL

Thanks Bruno - the above worked perfect! :thumbsup:PS: FWIW - I tried typing in the commands which didn't work. May I suggest doing a Copy - then Paste of the commands Bruno provided into the Konsole as root.

Edited by Rons

Thanks Bruno - the above worked perfect! :teehee:
B) . . . You're welcome Rons !
PS: FWIW - I tried typing in the commands which didn't work. May I suggest doing a Copy - then Paste of the commands Bruno provided into the Konsole as root.
LOL . . . that is what i do myself too . . . I compose the commands, then test them to see if they work and finally copy and paste them in my post to make sure there are no typos :PB) Bruno

Hi Bruno.Question? For Package Software Updates........Under update media, I have three selections:main - nluug-1contrib - nluug-2update - sourceDo I need all 3 checked or just main? OR do I just leave these alone?TIA :)

All three are a good idea. Contrib gets those things that are extra such as java and the like. Main takes care of the basics, and update is the one that covers all those security updates that come out every so often. You really are much better off with all three. If you were on dial-up you could do fine without them but I definitely add all three to mine. :)