The Farmer tries Linux

the_farmer

i cannot access packages updateWhen I try the rehat-install-packages and the package name the terminal comes back and reports an error. The error is as given below. Please help in fixing the sameterminal screen are as ff:[mike@localhost mike]$ redhat-config-packagesTraceback (most recent call last): File "/usr/share/redhat-config-packages/MainWindow.py", line 163, in ? comps = im.readCompsViaMethod(hdlist, progress.update) File "/usr/share/redhat-config-packages/method.py", line 488, in readCompsViaMethod update_method = update_method) File "/usr/share/redhat-config-packages/comps.py", line 387, in __init__ self.readCompsFile(file, self.packages) File "/usr/share/redhat-config-packages/comps.py", line 471, in readCompsFile self.setupStateDicts(packages) File "/usr/share/redhat-config-packages/comps.py", line 420, in setupStateDicts for prov in h[rpm.RPMTAG_PROVIDES]:TypeError: iteration over non-sequence[mike@localhost mike]$

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• the_farmer

• Bruno

• teacher

• réjean

Hi FarmerWhat happens if you try to open the package management from the menu ? Will it start at all ??I know ( from your PM ) that you are looking for the alsa-utils ands alsaconf that would suit your RH 8.0 . . . . now, RH 8.0 packages are hard to find because it is a pretty old distro, but have a look here:http://ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/mirr...8.0/en/os/i386/These are the ones you need to start with:alsa-driver-1.0.3-1.cvs.rh80.ccrma.i386.rpmalsa-lib-1.0.3-1.cvs.rh80.ccrma.i386.rpmalsa-oss-1.0.3-1.cvs.rh80.ccrma.i386.rpmalsa-tools-1.0.3-1.cvs.rh80.ccrma.i386.rpmalsa-utils-1.0.3-1.cvs.rh80.ccrma.i386.rpmYou can install them with "rpm -ihv <packagename>.rpm" . .. . . . . they are cvs packages so there is no warrantee that they are bug-free ;);) Bruno** Just a thought: Maybe if RH 8.0 seems a dead-end-street ( too old ) we should try VectorLinux, it uses more recent packages ( even the 2.6 kernel ) and is specially suited for older hardware . . . . . ( http://www.vectorlinux.com/ )

i reinstall the whole system again since the package manager had failed, it must be the rpm that i had installed.anyway this time it's working againi had tried the alsaconf: unknown commandi tried to look for the libalsa etc you asked me to install but theres no enty in the package installer? where will I get this? from the cdrom?and those 5 rpms you want me to install, will they crash my system again? =)I would like to know what is oss cvs etc that were used in creating those file names?

im currently using the internet via lan pcmcia now here in linux. I want to learn how to map a network drive in my desktop running on windowsim planning to use sambaprior to downloading this file w/c is bigcan you guys recommend a "getright" like app for me to continue downloads of big files

Edited by the_farmer

and those 5 rpms you want me to install, will they crash my system again? =)
Nope, because they are specially made for RH 8.0 ;)
im currently using the internet via lan pcmcia now here in linux. I want to learn how to map a network drive in my desktop running on windowscan you guys recommend a "getright" like app for me to continue downloads of big files
Congrats on the internet access !!The files are no large download, if you use the konqueror webbrowser and rightclick and "save link as" it will use Kget to download them . . . easy peasy :DB) BrunoPS: I am wondering why your installs differ so much from install to install . . . . . . looks like it is not really stable and I remember RH 8.0 as being a stable distro . . . so it has me puzzled.I was at a computer fair today where I saw a whole bundle of old laptops ( different brands ) all of them were running Ark-linux which is a RedHat based distro with KDE 3.3 and kernel 2.6 ( so must have been a recent version ) . . . I was really impressed by the performance.

i am running redhat 8.0 kernel 2.4.18-14 i really havent registered and get the 30 day support redhat is offeringwill I get a kernel update if I do to make it kernel 2.6?will It bugged?I really want to make my pcmcia modem work also , it seemed undetected, what will I do?about the file name extentsion, can you pls educate me what to downloadegyahoo.src.rpm :what is src?yahoo.i386.rpm: i386?yahoo.tar.gz: ?

Hi farmer!You could start looking hereAs far as I know "src" means "source". What the gurus around here recommand is to go for the RPM whenever you can because it will take care of the dependencies.If you want more info you could read RPM how-to

Edited by réjean

@brunothose alsa.rpm you told me to install doesn't work. I'm prompted to install alsa-kernel.rpm so where can i find one?and pls help me to run my pcmcia laptop modem

Edited by the_farmer

i am running redhat 8.0 kernel 2.4.18-14 i really havent registered and get the 30 day support redhat is offeringwill I get a kernel update if I do to make it kernel 2.6?will It bugged?I really want to make my pcmcia modem work also , it seemed undetected, what will I do?about the file name extentsion, can you pls educate me what to downloadegyahoo.src.rpm :what is src?yahoo.i386.rpm: i386?yahoo.tar.gz: ?
Hi FarmerI doubt very much that you will still get support for RH 8.0, it was released in 2002 and I think that surely after the switch to Fedora all support for it dropped.Also the plan to install the 2.6 kernel does not look like a good idea to me, the 8.0 was build and optimized around kernel 2.4.In fact, you might even see that a package like the "yahoo.i386.rpm" might stumble over missing dependencies because most likely that package will be of a more recent date. ( you can try though )That was why I was hinting at Ark Linux or Vector Linux . . . just to get you a more recent distro . . .;):P Bruno

those alsa.rpm you told me to install doesn't work. I'm prompted to install alsa-kernel.rpm so where can i find one?
I think I found one ( 2.4.24 ) here:http://ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/mirr....ccrma.i386.rpm ( 1.1 MB )You might have to adapt the bootloader to be able to boot that kernel after installing it . . . but just try it first and after the reboot do "uname -r" to see if you booted the new one.For your pcmcia . . . we need to know what type and version so we can search the hardware compatibility list to see if it is supported.:P Bruno

Hi FarmerWith the 233Mhz 96MB you have there the only real improvement in performance will be notiable if you run a lightweight desktop manager like "Fluxbux" or "IceWM" and not the "Gnome"or "KDE" you probably are using now.B) Bruno

Hi FarmerOnce you installed the alsa-kernel I would like to see the output of the next few commands:

ls -al /bootcat /boot/grub/menu.lstuname -r

;) BrunoPS: Quint is right . . . a good bit more MB will do wonders on your laptop

@ Brunobefore I do anything else with the alsa-kernel, will this modify my exsisting kernel? and make it imposible to boot?

Edited by the_farmer

No No . . . it will install the kernel next to the old kernel and you should be able to boot both of them ( well, one at a time though ).;) Bruno

and I had installed icewm , but I cant seem to find the tab to make it work and its not in the login session too?am I missing something here?

Yep if installing the kernel does not add an option we will have to add it ourselves by editing the /boot/grub/menu.lst ;)B) Brunoand ( sorry I missed that post ):

I had installed icewm , but I cant seem to find the tab to make it work and its not in the login session too?
Is there no "options" button on the login screen ? Or do you have it set to automatically boot into KDE ?

Is there no "options" button on the login screen ? Or do you have it set to automatically boot into KDE ?
there is no Icewm option in the session login, onlylast(selected gnome)failsafedefaultgnomekde Edited by the_farmer

to recap:i will open a new terminal ang i will enter this:/boot/grub/menu.lstthen whats next...hihi..sorry im a noob!
No . . . no . . .first install that kernel . . . and then show me the results of the command
cat /boot/grub/menu.lst

B) Bruno

i just click the icon for the icewm.rpmdoes clicking straight to the rpm package still runs the standard package manager right?it still reads the system state etc....

Edited by the_farmer

It could be that it was missing files . . . you always have to use the package manager ( Yum, Kpackage, or the default package manager ) to install things OR do it on the commandline so you see the errors.

# rpm -ihv icewm.rpm

B) Bruno

btwi found a ltwinmodem driver (ltmodem-kmdl-8.26a9-6.1.rh8.0.at.1386.rpm)on that site too i was refering earlier, though it prompt me to look forltmodem-kmdl-8.26a9-6.1.rh8.0.atwill this run my modem now? hehe..I believe its a winmodem and maybe this will run itI tried to look for the needed ltmodem-kmdl-8.26a9-6.1.rh8.0.at at googledoesnt seem to find one????

Edited by the_farmer

it seems installing those rpm you advise me e.g ltmodem-kmdl-8.26a9-6.1.rh8.0.at.1386.rpmthe system prompts to install ltmodem-kmdl-8.26a9-6.1.rh8.0.atorsays unlocatable package....well im installing the package isnt it? is it a loophole?

bruno this is my grub info# grub.conf generated by anaconda## Note that you do not have to rerun grub after making changes to this file# NOTICE: You have a /boot partition. This means that# all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /boot/, eg.# root (hd0,5)# kernel /vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/hda7# initrd /initrd-version.img#boot=/dev/hdadefault=0timeout=10splashimage=(hd0,5)/grub/splash.xpm.gztitle Red Hat Linux (2.4.18-14) root (hd0,5) kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.18-14 ro root=LABEL=/ initrd /initrd-2.4.18-14.imgtitle DOS rootnoverify (hd0,0) chainloader +1[root@localhost mike]#note:I have a dualboot system , If I get to edit and delete the entrytitle DOS rootnoverify (hd0,0) chainloader +1will it not show in the start up grub bootloader? and If I return it back will it show back my ms window boot option?where can I edit this one?what will I use?how to save?

Edited by the_farmer