The Farmer tries Linux

the_farmer

thanks for the info burninbush@brunooss from opensound.com is good for playing cda or mp3sthe sound is working nowbut i cant seem to have the system wav like playing the startup sounds etc. sound to workhow can i bind them?

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• the_farmer

• Bruno

• teacher

• réjean

Hi FarmerThe system notification sounds use aRts . . and probably there lies the problem. You can however disable aRts and use an "external player" for the system sounds ( look in KDE Control Center --> Looka and Feel --> System notifications --> Player Settings ) if you use "/usr/bin/play" in that config the problem might be solved.You can test if /usrt/bin/play works by giving the command

$ /usr/bin/play <path_to_soundfile.wav>

( The wav soundfiles are most likely in /usr/share/sounds ):blink: Bruno

bruno,there is that "external player" but it browse for a certain filewhich file should i chose?and can i really play mp3 on redhat 8.0?i had downloaded a plugin file from gurulabs that enables to load the directory to the xmms but still can't play mp3 =(

Edited by the_farmer

there is that "external player" but it browse for a certain filewhich file should i chose?
Choose: /usr/bin/play
and can i really play mp3 on redhat 8.0?i had downloaded a plugin file from gurulabs that enables to load the directory to the xmms but still can't play mp3 =(
RedHat has a problem with mp3 files because it is not a "FREE" format . . . . . but you can get the xmms plugin on the Net.I will google for it and will let you know where to download it ( because I forgot where :hmm: ) . . .in the mean time have a look where the /xmms/plugins directory is on your install so you can copy it there when you have it.B) Bruno

/home/julia/.xmms/PluginsI imagine yours would be /home/mike/.xmms/PluginsNotice the little "." before xmms. That menas the xmms folder is hidden unless you tell it to show hidden files. That's why you won't notice it in your home directory.You can simply

cd  /home/mike/.xmms/Plugins

then

ls

(list) to see what is there. :'(

[mike@localhost mike]$ suPassword:[root@localhost mike]# /xmms/pluginsbash: /xmms/plugins: No such file or directory[root@localhost mike]# /xmmsbash: /xmms: No such file or directory[root@localhost mike]# /home/mike/.xmms/Pluginsbash: /home/mike/.xmms/Plugins: is a directory[root@localhost mike]# /home/mike/.xmms/Puginsbash: /home/mike/.xmms/Pugins: No such file or directory[root@localhost mike]# /home/mike/.xmms/Pluginsbash: /home/mike/.xmms/Plugins: is a directory[root@localhost mike]# ls /home/mike/.xmms/Plugins[root@localhost mike]# cd /home/mike/.xmms/Plugins[root@localhost Plugins]# ls[root@localhost Plugins]#
seems empty, how can i install the plugins in such a specified directory?

If you know where your plugins are located you can then do a cp (copy) command. Most likely they are just in /home/mike. If so you can do this

$ cp (insert name of plug in here)  /.xmms/Plugins/  If there are letters that are the same you can throw a wildcard  (*) in there such as cp plugin* /.xmms/Plugins/If you know the name of the plugin but not where it is located you can do this [code]$ su(password)# updatedb# locate (insert name here)

:'(

the plugin is a rpm is it ok to append?i specifically dont know the plugin name and cant find my plugins since they are rpms, and when i click them

Package already installedA newer version of "xmms-mp3" is currently installed
but for the record heres the terminalroot@localhost root]# locate xmms/root/.xmms/root/.xmms/Skins/root/.xmms/Plugins/root/.xmms/menurc/root/.xmms/config/root/.xmms/xmms.m3u/usr/bin/wmxmms/usr/bin/xmms/usr/lib/xmms/usr/lib/xmms/Effect/usr/lib/xmms/Effect/libstereo.la/usr/lib/xmms/Effect/libecho.la/usr/lib/xmms/Effect/libecho.so/usr/lib/xmms/Effect/libstereo.so/usr/lib/xmms/Effect/libvoice.la/usr/lib/xmms/Effect/libvoice.so/usr/lib/xmms/General/usr/lib/xmms/General/libsong_change.l Edited by the_farmer

/usr/lib/xmms/General/libir.la/usr/lib/xmms/General/libir.so/usr/lib/xmms/General/libjoy.la/usr/lib/xmms/General/libjoy.so/usr/lib/xmms/General/libsong_change.so/usr/lib/xmms/Input/usr/lib/xmms/Input/libcdaudio.la/usr/lib/xmms/Input/libcdaudio.so/usr/lib/xmms/Input/libidcin.la/usr/lib/xmms/Input/libidcin.so/usr/lib/xmms/Input/libmikmod.la/usr/lib/xmms/Input/libmikmod.so/usr/lib/xmms/Input/libtonegen.la/usr/lib/xmms/Input/libtonegen.so/usr/lib/xmms/Input/libvorbis.la/usr/lib/xmms/Input/libvorbis.so/usr/lib/xmms/Input/libwav.la/usr/lib/xmms/Input/libwav.so/usr/lib/xmms/Input/libmpg123.la/usr/lib/xmms/Input/libmpg123.so/usr/lib/xmms/Output/usr/lib/xmms/Output/libartsout.a/usr/lib/xmms/Output/libOSS.la/usr/lib/xmms/Output/libOSS.so/usr/lib/xmms/Output/libartsout.so.0.0.0/usr/lib/xmms/Output/libartsout.la/usr/lib/xmms/Output/libartsout.so/usr/lib/xmms/Output/libartsout.so.0/usr/lib/xmms/Output/libdisk_writer.la/usr/lib/xmms/Output/libdisk_writer.so/usr/lib/xmms/Output/libesdout.la/usr/lib/xmms/Output/libesdout.so/usr/lib/xmms/Visualization/usr/lib/xmms/Visualization/libogl_spectrum.la/usr/lib/xmms/Visualization/libbscope.la/usr/lib/xmms/Visualization/libbscope.so/usr/lib/xmms/Visualization/libogl_spectrum.so/usr/lib/xmms/Visualization/libsanalyzer.la/usr/lib/xmms/Visualization/libsanalyzer.so/usr/lib/libxmms.so.1.2.1/usr/lib/libxmms.so.1/usr/share/doc/xmms-1.2.7/usr/share/doc/xmms-1.2.7/ChangeLog/usr/share/doc/xmms-1.2.7/AUTHORS/usr/share/doc/xmms-1.2.7/COPYING/usr/share/doc/xmms-1.2.7/INSTALL/usr/share/doc/xmms-1.2.7/FAQ/usr/share/doc/xmms-1.2.7/README.ESD/usr/share/doc/xmms-1.2.7/NEWS/usr/share/doc/xmms-1.2.7/README/usr/share/doc/xmms-1.2.7/TODOusr/share/locale/ca/LC_MESSAGES/xmms.mo/usr/share/locale/cs/LC_MESSAGES/xmms.mo/usr/share/locale/da/LC_MESSAGES/xmms.mo/usr/share/locale/de/LC_MESSAGES/xmms.mo/usr/share/locale/el/LC_MESSAGES/xmms.mo/usr/share/locale/es/LC_MESSAGES/xmms.mo/usr/share/locale/fr/LC_MESSAGES/xmms.mo/usr/share/locale/gl/LC_MESSAGES/xmms.mo/usr/share/locale/hr/LC_MESSAGES/xmms.mo/usr/share/locale/it/LC_MESSAGES/xmms.mo/usr/share/locale/ja/LC_MESSAGES/xmms.mo/usr/share/locale/ko/LC_MESSAGES/xmms.mo/usr/share/locale/nl/LC_MESSAGES/xmms.mo/usr/share/locale/no/LC_MESSAGES/xmms.mo/usr/share/locale/pl/LC_MESSAGES/xmms.mo/usr/share/locale/pt_BR/LC_MESSAGES/xmms.mo/usr/share/locale/sk/LC_MESSAGES/xmms.mo/usr/share/locale/sv/LC_MESSAGES/xmms.mo/usr/share/locale/tr/LC_MESSAGES/xmms.mo/usr/share/locale/zh_TW/LC_MESSAGES/xmms.mo/usr/share/locale/az/LC_MESSAGES/xmms.mo/usr/share/locale/bg/LC_MESSAGES/xmms.mo/usr/share/locale/hu/LC_MESSAGES/xmms.mo/usr/share/locale/lv/LC_MESSAGES/xmms.mo/usr/share/locale/pt/LC_MESSAGES/xmms.mo/usr/share/locale/ru/LC_MESSAGES/xmms.mo/usr/share/locale/uk/LC_MESSAGES/xmms.mo/usr/share/locale/vi/LC_MESSAGES/xmms.mo/usr/share/locale/zh_CN.GB2312/LC_MESSAGES/xmms.mo/usr/share/locale/ga/LC_MESSAGES/xmms.mo/usr/share/locale/nn/LC_MESSAGES/xmms.mo/usr/share/locale/eu/LC_MESSAGES/xmms.mo/usr/share/locale/lt/LC_MESSAGES/xmms.mo/usr/share/locale/ro/LC_MESSAGES/xmms.mo/usr/share/locale/wa/LC_MESSAGES/xmms.mo/usr/share/locale/sr/LC_MESSAGES/xmms.mo/usr/share/locale/eo/LC_MESSAGES/xmms.mo/usr/share/locale/id/LC_MESSAGES/xmms.mo/usr/share/locale/af/LC_MESSAGES/xmms.mo/usr/share/locale/tg/LC_MESSAGES/xmms.mo/usr/share/locale/th/LC_MESSAGES/xmms.mo/usr/share/man/man1/wmxmms.1.gz/usr/share/man/man1/xmms.1.gz/usr/share/pixmaps/xmms.xpm/usr/share/pixmaps/mini/xmms_mini.xpm/usr/share/pixmaps/xmms_logo.xpm/usr/share/icons/Bluecurve/16x16/apps/xmms.png/usr/share/icons/Bluecurve/32x32/apps/xmms.png/usr/share/icons/Bluecurve/48x48/apps/xmms.png/usr/share/icons/hicolor/16x16/apps/xmms.png/usr/share/icons/hicolor/32x32/apps/xmms.png/usr/share/icons/Locolor/32x32/apps/xmms.png/usr/share/icons/Crystal/16x16/apps/xmms_classic.png/usr/share/icons/Crystal/16x16/apps/xmms.png/usr/share/icons/Crystal/32x32/apps/xmms_classic.png/usr/share/icons/Crystal/32x32/apps/xmms.png/usr/share/icons/Crystal/32x32/apps/xmms2.png/usr/share/icons/Crystal/48x48/apps/xmms_classic.png/usr/share/icons/Crystal/48x48/apps/xmms2.png/usr/share/icons/slick/16x16/apps/xmms.png/usr/share/icons/slick/32x32/apps/xmms.png/usr/share/icons/slick/48x48/apps/xmms.png/usr/share/xmms/usr/share/xmms/Skins/usr/share/xmms/Skins/BrushedMetal_Xmms.zip/usr/share/xmms/Skins/Bluecurve-xmms.zip/usr/share/xmms/Skins/AbsoluteE_Xmms.zip/usr/share/xmms/Skins/BlackXMMS.zip/usr/share/xmms/Skins/BlueIce.zip/usr/share/xmms/Skins/BlueSteel.zip/usr/share/xmms/Skins/blueHeart-xmms-20.zip/usr/share/xmms/Skins/ColderXMMS.tar.gz/usr/share/xmms/Skins/Covenant.zip/usr/share/xmms/Skins/Cyrus-XMMS.zip/usr/share/xmms/Skins/GTK+.zip/usr/share/xmms/Skins/Inverse.zip/usr/share/xmms/Skins/Marble.zip/usr/share/xmms/Skins/Panic.zip/usr/share/xmms/Skins/Ultrafina-pw.zip/usr/share/xmms/Skins/Ultrafina.zip/usr/share/xmms/Skins/UltrafinaSE.zip/usr/share/xmms/Skins/Vulcan.zip/usr/share/xmms/Skins/X-Tra.zip/usr/share/xmms/Skins/XMMS-Green.zip/usr/share/xmms/Skins/XawMMS.zip/usr/share/xmms/Skins/arctic_Xmms.zip/usr/share/xmms/Skins/blackstar.zip/usr/share/xmms/Skins/detone_green.zip/usr/share/xmms/Skins/chaos_XMMS.zip/usr/share/xmms/Skins/detone_blue.zip/usr/share/xmms/Skins/sinistar.zip/usr/share/xmms/Skins/fyre.zip/usr/share/xmms/Skins/titanium.zip/usr/share/xmms/Skins/xmms-256.zip/usr/share/xmms/wmxmms.xpm/home/mike/rpm/xmms-mp3-1.2.7-13.p.i386.rpm/home/mike/rpm/xmms-mp3-1.2.7-0.dag.rh80.i386.rpm/home/mike/.xmms/home/mike/.xmms/Skins/home/mike/.xmms/Plugins/home/mike/.xmms/config/home/mike/.xmms/xmms.m3u/home/mike/.xmms/menurc/home/mike/.xmms/eq.preset[root@localhost root]#whoa!

Hi FarmerHere are your input and output plugins:

/usr/lib/xmms/Input/usr/lib/xmms/Input/libcdaudio.la/usr/lib/xmms/Input/libcdaudio.so/usr/lib/xmms/Input/libidcin.la/usr/lib/xmms/Input/libidcin.so/usr/lib/xmms/Input/libmikmod.la/usr/lib/xmms/Input/libmikmod.so/usr/lib/xmms/Input/libtonegen.la/usr/lib/xmms/Input/libtonegen.so/usr/lib/xmms/Input/libvorbis.la/usr/lib/xmms/Input/libvorbis.so/usr/lib/xmms/Input/libwav.la/usr/lib/xmms/Input/libwav.so/usr/lib/xmms/Input/libmpg123.la/usr/lib/xmms/Input/libmpg123.so/usr/lib/xmms/Output/usr/lib/xmms/Output/libartsout.a/usr/lib/xmms/Output/libOSS.la/usr/lib/xmms/Output/libOSS.so/usr/lib/xmms/Output/libartsout.so.0.0.0/usr/lib/xmms/Output/libartsout.la/usr/lib/xmms/Output/libartsout.so/usr/lib/xmms/Output/libartsout.so.0/usr/lib/xmms/Output/libdisk_writer.la/usr/lib/xmms/Output/libdisk_writer.so/usr/lib/xmms/Output/libesdout.la/usr/lib/xmms/Output/libesdout.so
I made the mp3 plugin RED:P Bruno

Hi FarmerCan you try this:

$ mpg123  /home/bruno/music/dylan/To_Ramona.mp3

( Please do adapt the path the the mp3 since yours might not be in the same place as mine ):ph34r: Bruno

Can you have a look if you have "mpg123" in your software manager ?? . . .Or do you have "xine" installed ?? ( plays mp3s too ):ph34r: Bruno

[mike@localhost mike]$ /usr/bin/play /home/mike/mp3new/Superman.mp3sox: Failed reading /home/mike/mp3new/Superman.mp3: Do not understand format type: mp3[mike@localhost mike]$where can i download xine? kindly give ma a link..thanks

To start with, here is mpg321 ( a far better tool on low resources ! )http://ftp.freshrpms.net/pub/freshrpms/red...10-fr1.i386.rpmManual ( how to use it ): http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.ph...14&t=503&st=111 And xine ( but beware it is CPU and RAM intensive . . .better use the mpg321 on the commandline )http://ftp.freshrpms.net/pub/freshrpms/red...20-fr1.i386.rpm:ph34r: Bruno

i had download mpg123 but its a gz file i extract it with file roller but i dont know how to install this gz fileshelp
Look above this post there is the rpm specially for RH 8.0You can not just install any software on RH 8.0 . . . it is an old distro and you need packages that goes with that version !!:ph34r: Bruno

i download mpg321 i cant seem to find this new program, is this a plug-in for xmms? I installed it but i still cant play mp3 in xmmswill I uninstall the xmms and reinstall it again?from the terminal :[mike@localhost mike]$ mpg321 /home/mike/newmp3/Superman.mp3High Performance MPEG 1.0/2.0/2.5 Audio Player for Layer 1, 2, and 3.Version 0.59q (2002/03/23). Written and copyrights by Joe Drew.Uses code from various people. See 'README' for more!THIS SOFTWARE COMES WITH ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY! USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!/home/mike/newmp3/Superman.mp3: No such file or directory[mike@localhost mike]$ mpg321 /home/mike/mp3new/Superman.mp3High Performance MPEG 1.0/2.0/2.5 Audio Player for Layer 1, 2, and 3.Version 0.59q (2002/03/23). Written and copyrights by Joe Drew.Uses code from various people. See 'README' for more!THIS SOFTWARE COMES WITH ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY! USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!Title : Superman Artist: Five For FightingAlbum : America Town Year : 2000Comment: ripped by spicaly for #rns Genre : RockDirectory: /home/mike/mp3new/Playing MPEG stream from Superman.mp3 ...MPEG 1.0 layer III, 192 kbit/s, 44100 Hz joint-stereoseems playing but no sound in ther speaker, is this compatible with oss?

Edited by the_farmer

bruno,can you pls help me find an link where I can download a rpm for my modemits chipset is dynalink 1428vqc pcmcia 33.6kbpsi read an article that this works

Edited by the_farmer

. . . . i download mpg321 i cant seem to find this new program, is this a plug-in for xmms? I installed it but i still cant play mp3 in xmms . . . . . . . . . . . seems playing but no sound in ther speaker, is this compatible with oss?
mpg321 is a commandline mp3 player . . . . no relation to xmms . . . . and it seems you got it working but have no sound from it. I would check your mixers ( Kmix etc. )
bruno,can you pls help me find an link where I can download a rpm for my modemits chipset is dynalink 1428vqc pcmcia 33.6kbpsi read an article that this works
This is all I can find on the dynalink:http://www.google.com/linux?hl=en&lr=&q=dy...bps&btnG=SearchAnd thy all point to:http://tuxmobil.org/pcmcia_linux_status.html But yours is not there . . . .:thumbsup: Bruno

To All: Who uses crystal 4237 soundcards, try OSS and use 4232 driver instead!I have sucessfully made xmms to work and play the system wav files too!

i am about to buy a pcmcia megahertz modem 56k model xj1560 does anyone had any idea this works with linux?though i had read that its fully compatibleany one who had done this thing to work?