Mandriva /etc/lilo.conf again

réjean

Hi Bruno!

LOL . . . . I was too late . . . . ( or you were too quick tongue.gif )
as long as I don't hear it coming from my wife it's fine. lolI had no problem using pclos cd-rescue. It worked like a charm. It is a bit different with the Xandros /etc/lilo.conf however. My / Xandros is on hda6 and the /home on hda7 and here is what I get:
[rejean@localhost rejean]$ suPassword:[root@localhost rejean]# /sbin/liloAdded pclinuxos *Added SUSEAdded KubuntuAdded Xandros[root@localhost rejean]# /mnt/hda6/etc/lilo.confbash: /mnt/hda6/etc/lilo.conf: No such file or directory[root@localhost rejean]#  mount /dev/hda6 /mnt/hda6[root@localhost rejean]# mnt/hda6/lilo.confbash: mnt/hda6/lilo.conf: No such file or directory[root@localhost rejean]# mount /dev/hda7 /mnt/hda7[root@localhost rejean]# /mnt/hda6/etc.lilo.confbash: /mnt/hda6/etc.lilo.conf: No such file or directory[root@localhost rejean]# /mnt/hda7/etc/lilo.confbash: /mnt/hda7/etc/lilo.conf: No such file or directory

Do you know why? I could boot into Xandros and find the /etc/lilo.conf file for you if you want and then reuse the cd-rescue for pclos.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• réjean

• Bruno

• teacher

• BarryB

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL . . . please show us

# cat /mnt/hda6/etc/lilo.conf

I think that should work better ;)You always have to use "cat" if you want to read a file . . . . and the full path is "/mnt/hda6/etc/lilo.conf" :PB) Bruno

Yeap! It worked a lot better indeed! The thing is that when I see a piece of code you ask me for I just copy and paste it so that if there is a mistake it is not mine. So here we go:

[root@localhost rejean]# cat /mnt/hda6/etc/lilo.confboot=/dev/hdainstall=/boot/cboot.bmessage=/boot/splash.lilotimeout=300map=/boot/mappromptfix-tablelba32read-onlydisk=/dev/hda bios=0x80disk=/dev/hdc bios=0x80image=/vmlinuz        label=[]s_Desktop_2.0        vga=0xf04        root=/dev/hda6        initrd=/boot/initrd-2.4.22-x1.gz        append="rw acpi=on noagp "image=/vmlinuz        label=Safe_Video_Mode        vga=0xf04        root=/dev/hda6        initrd=/boot/initrd-2.4.22-x1.gz        append="3 rw acpi=on noagp "image=/vmlinuz        label={}ure_(Expert)        vga=normal        root=/dev/hda6        initrd=/boot/initrd-2.4.22-x1.gz        append="single rw acpi=on noagp "image=/disks/pclinuxos/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.11-oci11.mdk-i586-up-1GB        label=pclinuxos_Linux        vga=788        root=/dev/hda1        initrd=/disks/pclinuxos/boot/initrd-2.6.11-oci11.mdk-i586-up-1GB.img        append="devfs=nomount acpi=ht noapic nolapic nomce splash=silent rw "        read-onlyimage=/disks/suselinux/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.11-oci11.mdk-i586-up-1GB        label=pclinuxos_Lin_2        vga=788        root=/dev/hda10        initrd=/disks/suselinux/boot/initrd-2.6.11-oci11.mdk-i586-up-1GB.img        append="devfs=nomount acpi=ht noapic nolapic nomce splash=silent"        read-onlyimage=/disks/ubuntu/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.10-5-386        label=Ubuntu_5.04        root=/dev/hdc1        initrd=/disks/ubuntu/boot/initrd.img-2.6.10-5-386        read-onlyimage=/disks/mandrake/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.11-6mdk-i586-up-1GB        label=Mandrake_Linux        vga=788        root=/dev/hda8        initrd=/disks/mandrake/boot/initrd-2.6.11-6mdk-i586-up-1GB.img        append="acpi=ht resume=/dev/hda5 splash=silent"        read-only[root@localhost rejean]#    

and the full path is "/mnt/hda6/etc/lilo.conf"
oops! blame it on me being so tired all the time having to get up at 4:30 am (except for this week and next) and having to work 16 hours some days. Edited by réjean

Okay Réjean . . . . now look at the second line of your output: ( first line of the file )

[root@localhost rejean]# cat /mnt/hda6/etc/lilo.confboot=/dev/hda
We want it to look like this:
[root@localhost rejean]# cat /mnt/hda6/etc/lilo.confboot=/dev/hda6
That is all . . . really that is all . . :'( :P . . . . . so you do:
# kedit /mnt/hda6/etc/lilo.conf

. . you make the change . . . and after that before you reboot I want to see

# cat /mnt/hda6/etc/lilo.conf

so I can check if all is correct ;)B) Bruno

Hi again Bruno!I truncated it a bit so that only the top part shows:

Password:[root@localhost rejean]# cat /mnt/hda6/etc/lilo.confboot=/dev/hda6install=/boot/cboot.bmessage=/boot/splash.lilotimeout=300map=/boot/mappromptfix-tablelba32read-onlydisk=/dev/hda bios=0x80disk=/dev/hdc bios=0x80image=/vmlinuz        label=[]s_Desktop_2.0        vga=0xf04        root=/dev/hda6        initrd=/boot/initrd-2.4.22-x1.gz        append="rw acpi=on noagp "

So if there are a few things you want me to show you before we start working on Mandriva I can do it tonight and we can work on it tomorrow. Greatly appreciated your help!

That looks really good . . . . . so now you can test to boot into Xandros . . . and reboot again to come back to PCLos to see ( I hope ) that you will still have the PCLos lilo and Xandros did not hyjack the MBR this time :DWe will see about Mandriva tomorrow because my day is over and done with :'( . . . . but I hope to see "success" on the Xandros / MBR issue whe I login tomorrow morning :DB) Burno

Hi Bruno!To tell you the truth I don't recall if I rebooted using pclos cd-rescue or not but I did reboot after making the modifications you suggested and I was into Xandros lilo BUT there was an entry (in fact there were 2 but only one that worked) for pclos and one for Mandriva and both worked. I could and still can boot in either one. I will try rebooting with the pclos cd-rescue and do a /sbin/lilo and boot again in Xandros and boot again and see if your changes took this evening but as a back-up I now know that Xandros lilo can work.

I will try rebooting with the pclos cd-rescue and do a /sbin/lilo and boot again in Xandros and boot again and see if your changes took this evening

Réjean . . . . . . hope we understand each other correctly . . . the only distro where you should run /sbin/lilo is in PCLos . . . . and NOT in Xandros :hysterical: . . . you should only boot Xandros to see if it boots okay and after that you reboot back to PCLos ( using the PCLos lilo ) . . . Then if all works like I planned it, you should never have to see the Xandros lilo ever again.:hysterical: Bruno

Hi Bruno!I understand you correctly and this is exactly what I did (before reading your post); I booted into pclos with the cd-rescue, did a /sbin/lilo, rebooted into Xandros, rebooted and VOILA pclos lilo was there.So whenever you feel like helping with Mandriva or Suse I will be more happy to do so and once this is done I will update every distro and have the best system untill...

Hi Julia!I think I do (you mean each on it's own / partition don't you?) Like for example my Mandriva /etc/lilo.conf is on hda8 which is my Mandriva / partition while hda9 is my Mandriva /home. This is what you are asking isn't?I'll have another look at your topic "Simplified lilo" and see if I can do something in that vein. It sure looks a lot simpler. The only problem is that Mandriva was set as the default bootloader so I migfht have to change that first, with pclos being now the official bootloader but THEN from now on use your method. What do you think?

If you have a boot cd for Mandriva then simply boot form it and then go into the control center - -> boot options --> and change the boot to the root partition. Then you can add it to your PCLos partition. Then you would simply go into your PCLos lilo and do the simplified for it!

What happened to my post? I replied to tell you that unfortunately I did get the entry into pclos lilo for Mandriva but after clicking on it I got nothing else but a blank screen.Sorry about that dear Teacher.

You did my trick I bet. Type a "fast reply" and then instead of clicking "add reply" click go. I do it half the time it seems.Are you sure you have the lilo for Mandriva in the boot partition? It should be easy from there:

image=/dev/hda8label="Mandriva"image=/dev/hda10label="Suse"

This assumes that I pulled it from the right place in your lilo I saw. :hysterical:

Hi again!Here is the latest Mandriva /etc/lilo.conf I had working. As you can see every booting device was on a root partition.

default="linux"boot=/dev/hdamap=/boot/mapkeytable=/boot/us-latin1.kltpromptnowarntimeout=100message=/boot/messagemenu-scheme=wb:bw:wb:bwimage=/boot/vmlinuz        label="linux"        root=/dev/hda8        initrd=/boot/initrd.img        append="acpi=ht resume=/dev/hda5splash=silent"        vga=788        read-onlyimage=/boot/vmlinuz        label="linux-nonfb"        root=/dev/hda8        initrd=/boot/initrd.img        append="acpi=ht resume=/dev/hda5"        read-onlyimage=/boot/vmlinuz        label="failsafe"        root=/dev/hda8        initrd=/boot/initrd.img        append="failsafe acpi=ht resume=/dev/hda5devfs=nomount"        read-onlyimage=/boot/suse/vmlinuz-2.6.5-7.151-default        label="SUSE"        root=/dev/hda10        initrd=/boot/suse/initrd-2.6.5-7.151-default        append="desktop showopts splash=silentresume=/dev/hda5 devfs=nomount acpi=ht"        vga=0x317        read-onlyimage=/boot/xandros/vmlinuz-2.4.22-x1        label="Xandros"        root=/dev/hda6        initrd=/boot/xandros/initrd-2.4.22-x1.gz        append="rw acpi=on noagp splash=silent"        vga=0xf04image=/boot/ubuntu/vmlinuz-2.6.10-5-386        label="Kubuntu"        root=/dev/hdc1        initrd=/boot/ubuntu/initrd.img-2.6.10-5-386        read-onlyimage=/boot/pclos/vmlinuz-2.6.11-oci11.mdk-i586-up-1GB      label="PCLos-9"      root=/dev/hda1     initrd=/boot/pclos/initrd-2.6.11-oci11.mdk-i586-up-1GB.img      append="devfs=nomount acpi=ht noapic nolapicnomce splash=silent"      vga=771      read-only

Ok! Here is what I get when I try your trick:

[rejean@localhost rejean]$ suPassword:[root@localhost rejean]# vi /etc/lilo.conf[root@localhost rejean]# /sbin/liloAdded pclinuxos *Added SUSEAdded KubuntuAdded XandrosWarning: First sector of /dev/hda8 doesn't have a valid boot signatureAdded MardrivaWarning: First sector of /dev/hda10 doesn't have a valid boot signatureFatal: Duplicate label "suse"[root@localhost rejean]#

That means that you do not have a lilo written to the root partition but rather when you installed you told it to go to mbr or floppy or skipped it. The post above your last does not show where it was written. It just shows the partitions where the boot files were located such as the vmlinuz and the initrd. The only way the trick will work is if when you do an install or boot back into those distros, you tell it to save to the root partition rather than mbr.

Hi again!Here is the latest Mandriva /etc/lilo.conf I had working. As you can see every booting device was on a root partition.
default="linux"boot=/dev/hdamap=/boot/mapkeytable=/boot/us-latin1.klt

See that line "boot=/dev/hda" ?? That means your Mandriva lilo is installed in the MBR !! So either change that line to read "boot=/dev/hda8" and run "/sbin/lilo" while booted in Mandriva . . . . . OR follow the "old" way to add Mandriva to the PCLos Lilo ;):hysterical: Bruno