How to choose a linux distro

Bruno

Slack and Vector have the MC installed by default ! But the Vector version has some extra´sYou can also install the MC in Mandrake, once you get used to it you will love it and not want to do without.See you after dinner !B) Bruno

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• quint

• Bruno

• teacher

• BarryB

Top Posters In This Topic

Slack and Vector have the MC installed by default ! But the Vector version has some extra´sYou can also install the MC in Mandrake, once you get used to it you will love it and not want to do without.See you after dinner !B) Bruno
Oh Bruno, I now see why you like this flavor so well - it is f-a-n-t-a-s-t-i-c!! Your tip worked like a charm - thank you. ;) I can see right now where much of my time will be spent! Will be checking out MC thoroughly, also. Julia, make sure you try this one! The default list of programs is frighteningly complete...and only one CD! My gosh, sounds like I'm talking about Slackware! :lol: Thanks for recommending this one, Bruno...very much. ;) Any thoughts why I had no trouble with the SOHO version, as opposed to the regular one? Not that I'm going to switch! :D

Ha, Hey ! Finaly a Vector-Lover like myself . . . . welcome to the club Quint !Yes it is a distro to rave about !! And Julia is downloading it right now, hope she will like it too . . . It is Slackware based Quint, all the .tgz slack-packages can be installed on it without problem, but RedHat rpm´s too !Have no clue why the normal one gave you grief and this one not, only that this one came 3 month later then the 3.2, maybe they fixed a few bugs in the installer.:lol: Bruno

Ha, Hey ! Finaly a Vector-Lover like myself . . . . welcome to the club Quint !Yes it is a distro to rave about !! And Julia is downloading it right now, hope she will like it too . . . It is Slackware based Quint, all the .tgz slack-packages can be installed on it without problem, but RedHat rpm´s too !Have no clue why the normal one gave you grief and this one not, only that this one came 3 month later then the 3.2, maybe they fixed a few bugs in the installer.:lol: Bruno
That's what I forgot to mention...the installation was a bit different; don't know how you keep up with all the changes made, on all these different flavors...but I'm glad you do retain it all - still waiting for your book: "Bruno's Bigwig Linux Library"...sounds like a good title to me! :lol:edit: Even comes with Phoenix web browser (older version), complete with Shockwave Flash already installed!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,Figured it would be better to post here, than start a new thread, so... Have just installed the latest version of "CollegeLinux", and although I have not checked it out thoroughly, I like it - very much. It is based on Slackware 9.0 :rolleyes: , so already points in it's favor; very clean interface, very "involved" installation (my penance, for having it so easy with Lycoris) :lol: , much to configure, but worthwhile. Before making any definitive judgements, must get some "full-fledged sleep" :lol: ...but come tomorrow morning - I'll be into it. Have found one small problem: I applied the "Mouse Scroll" tip from Bruno, figuring since it was Slack-based, it would work...well it did not. :D But, will not give up yet - have only just begun "investigate" this distro. Will post how it goes. ;) FSLO-1059891872-319478.jpg

Well, after most of a day, using CollegeLinux, I can say that it is very much like Slack...same configuration demands, same clean interface, same uncanny stability - same thing, indeed! :D But...whereas Bruno's tip on the "scroll mouse" worked flawlessly for Slack, it has no effect whatsoever for College, even though they share an identical "XF86Config" file (from all indications). B) I went to their "phorums" area, and I recognized very quickly, that, if they know the answers, they seem to be rather hesitant to share the answer...have seen this behavior before, which initially "turned me off" to Linux :( . I will keep on reading, and applying, and - no doubt - learning as I go. :) This must be my "karma", for basking in the "Sea of Lycoris Simplicity". B)

Humm... i've got to give vector a try. it sounds nice!
Hi Sonic, I hope you have better success with VectorSOHO, than you did with a few other distros'. :D I definitely am leaning toward liking this "flavor" most of all...you will see what I mean, soon. :D Best fortune to you.

Hi all,Well, might have a new "keeper" on my hands...Alt Linux Junior 2.2, is the name. So far, it has impressed me. :P Starting with the installation (which looks exactly like the Mandrake 8.2 installation procedure), it recognized everything, configured everything, asked very little - which worried me at first - but, I guess it just didn't need any help, it has a very large and varied amount of applications (they all work, too), ranging from OpenOffice to Galeon to Gimp to Evolution, I'm pretty sure (judging by the install screen), that it's based on Mandrake...but it "updates" packages with "Synaptic" - believe that's a Debian program. It also has a "fast, light, simple, nice-looking browser, I'd not heard of before: "SkipStone". I have found nothing, so far, that I can complain about! :D There was only one thing that I had to change, and that took 1 minute and a re-boot: the default screen resolution is 1280 X 960 (or something miniscule, like that), but in the main menu, there are several pertinent "setting-changers". I will try to post a screenshot. :D All in all, after the short time I've been using it, I like it very much, and will not be "throwing it back", unless it betrays me somehow. :D I would definitely recommend a "test-drive". :D

Looks good Quint !Excellent, thanks for testing this junior distro :) !B) Bruno
Thanks, Bruno; have not been in any other "Distro", since installing this one! :) I like it more and more with each click. :) I have, however found a "quirk": the "glibc" version is prior to version 2.2, so I am unable to install "Shockwave flash plugins", until I get around to updating it...which I don't think will be a problem. :) I would "highly" recommend that anyone wanting to "try-out" a Linux install, take a good look at this one - it has been a pleasure doing business with it. :) P.S.: the game "Tux Racer", works fantastic, and that leads me to believe that the "nvidia drivers" are already configured, also. :)

that leads me to believe that the "nvidia drivers" are already configured, also. B)
Like VectorSOHO, they had the nVidia drivers installed by default too . . . I like that :) !:) Bruno

• 1 month later...
In the interest of allowing more posts on the first page we have removed the sticky for "From Windows to Linux."  Thus we are adding a link to the page it referenced:From Windows to Linux here to make it easier to find.
Think the link would work better on the header message for "Tips for Linux Starters".

We try to keep The Tips as things from here in the forum. I thought about there but really felt this was a better place since it does talk about selecting a distro and I think folks that are looking to make the leap will look here before they make a decision as much so as the tips. It will quickly get lost in the tips, even with the index!

• 2 months later...

How to Choose a Distro RevisitedA lot of new distros or updated versions have come out recently. I have found what works for me has changed as I reconfigure/update my machine. Now that I am keeping my memory at the 1 GB level, I have found that Knoppix based distros do not seem to work as well. I have not done any other hardware changes so that is all I can attribute it to. More and more live distros are out there. DistroWatch Live CD Page is a good place to start to find out what works on your machine.

B) ;) For the staff here.... I have a question that is just for interest/thought at the web site almostfreelinux.com it has a list, nice little purdy pictures of at least 20 different Linux distros. Has anyone that you know of tried all of them. It seems like it would take the better part of 6 months to go through them all.

For the staff here.... I have a question that is just for interest/thought at the web site almostfreelinux.com it has a list, nice little purdy pictures of at least 20 different Linux distros. Has anyone that you know of tried all of them. It seems like it would take the better part of 6 months to go through them all.
I'm not a staff member but;We do have members here that probably have tried close to twenty distros. Quint is probably the one who has tried the most, but i don't know for sure because many members here have tried different distros at one point or another.PS, i can't get almostfreelinux.com to load... ;)

That page loads fine longgone, and what I see is that 99% of them are well known distro´s that will have a test report here on the forum somewhere the last 6 month, AND that they are free for download if you would wish to do so.I do know some about the reputation of CD services like CheapBytes but never of almostfreelinux . . . . . please let us know if you decide to order from them what your experiences are.:thumbsup: Bruno

It almost looks like a list from distrowatch. I have only tried about 16 of them - all from distrowatch.com. If you can download, you don't need to pay for CDs. At $3.20 for most they seem comparable but I could not find out shipping costs without registering. Sometimes they want more for shipping than for the disks.

:thumbsup: :D Welll... after a random selection of OS's, Mandrake 9.2, Suse 9.0 and Slackware 9.1 and going all the way to checkout, the shipping fee was listed as $3.00 for all. I just might do that, maybe. The only CD services I have used are Linux Central and FreeSoftwareCDR. I ordered Gentoo and Fedora from Linux Central and RH9.0 from FreeSoftwareCDR all have seemed to load fine, have not used any yet but they are there. I was given a copy of Mandrake 9.1 from FreeSoftwareCDR but for some reason it would not install in the GUI mode, only from text mode, it is another rainy day project. Hummm ... could might be a CD buddy of sorts ... ahhhh ... the possibilities.