How to choose a linux distro

Bruno

Quint,Bonzai seems to have an accelerated growth :lol: : NEW VERSION again !

The highly active Debian-based Bonzai Linux project has released another update, version 2.1: "Because Kernel Version 2.4.21 doesn't seem to be stable enough to be integrated into Bonzai Linux, we had to switch back to Kernel 2.4.20. Some new .po files have been updated, too." See the announcement in English or German. Download: bonzai_2_1.iso (185MB).
( from distrowatch today )Guess you better do the download again !;) Bruno

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• quint

• Bruno

• teacher

• BarryB

Top Posters In This Topic

Quint,Bonzai seems to have an accelerated growth ;) : NEW VERSION again !
  The highly active Debian-based Bonzai Linux project has released another update, version 2.1: "Because Kernel Version 2.4.21 doesn't seem to be stable enough to be integrated into Bonzai Linux, we had to switch back to Kernel 2.4.20. Some new .po files have been updated, too." See the announcement in English or German. Download: bonzai_2_1.iso (185MB).
( from distrowatch today )Guess you better do the download again !:D Bruno
Thanks, for that, Bruno. Had problems with corrupted files on the version that I had burned to CD. Will get this one, and try again...it's only 184 MB. ;) Sooner or later, one of us will get it right; did the checksum, and it jived, so maybe it was on their end. :lol: Thanks.

QuintBonzai´s are supposed to grow very slow . . . . . I think this one is geneticaly modified :lol: :DB) Bruno

QuintBonzai´s are supposed to grow very slow . . . . . I think this one is geneticaly modified ;) :DB) Bruno
;) :lol: By October it will look like this:tree1.jpg

Mepis Linux seems to be based on the Debian distro, but with the latest stable kernel, and KDE 3.1.2, and a very large selection of packages...apt-get style; can also be run as a "live-cd" and a rescue cd. Sounds great...can't wait to try it! :lol:

Hi QuintAnother Live CD ?? Nice one ! Nearly 700 MB though, not really small. . . . Let us know what you think of it and if the Live version works without any hick-ups for the starters among us. . :lol: Bruno

Hi QuintAnother Live CD ?? Nice one !  Nearly 700 MB though, not really small. . . . Let us know what you think of it and if the Live version works without any hick-ups for the starters among us. . B) Bruno
Will do, Bruno. B) The website talks it up in a grand fashion, hope it lives up to it! This sounds as though it will be the replacement for Libranet, which I could not successfully upgrade to KDE 3.1.2...this one comes with it. :lol: Will surely give a report. B) 67% d/l, right now (getting a great speed: 231.1 KB/sec.). :D

Quit,Got another one for you: Dynebolic

NewsForge looks at a pre-release version of Dynebolic 1.0, a live CD distribution with multimedia focus: "The new version adds a few text and still image tools as well. Plus, it includes a few impressive multimedia games to allow you to pass the time when work is over. (Freecraft is on the preliminary list, but given Blizzard's recent cease-and-desist order to that project, I won't hold my breath about it being included in the final release.) All in all, it's an impressive rich multimedia studio on one CD. I can hardly wait to see how the finished edition of V1.0 will run. In a world of generalized Linux distributions for the home and office, Dyne:bolic is a welcome change. It enables almost any PC to become a multimedia studio, and serves as a reminder that Linux can be used as a base for truly innovative solutions
Here is the site. 362 MB. Go for it Quint !:unsure: Bruno

Quit,Got another one for you: Dynebolic
NewsForge looks at a pre-release version of Dynebolic 1.0, a live CD distribution with multimedia focus: "The new version adds a few text and still image tools as well. Plus, it includes a few impressive multimedia games to allow you to pass the time when work is over. (Freecraft is on the preliminary list, but given Blizzard's recent cease-and-desist order to that project, I won't hold my breath about it being included in the final release.) All in all, it's an impressive rich multimedia studio on one CD. I can hardly wait to see how the finished edition of V1.0 will run. In a world of generalized Linux distributions for the home and office, Dyne:bolic is a welcome change. It enables almost any PC to become a multimedia studio, and serves as a reminder that Linux can be used as a base for truly innovative solutions
Here is the site. 362 MB. Go for it Quint !:wacko: Bruno
Thanks for the info, Bruno, d/l'ing as I type. :unsure:

QuintSince you are the forum´s official distro-tester we do expect a full report of both Live CDs and the new Bonzai one . . :rolleyes: :DB) Bruno* Depends on you if the Live ones get added to the list of Live CDs in The Tips

QuintSince you are the forum´s official distro-tester we do expect a full report of both Live CDs and the new Bonzai one . . :o :DB) Bruno* Depends on you if the Live ones get added to the list of Live CDs in The Tips
Hi bruno,Not having such good luck /w these:Dynebolic - will have to d/l this one again...the CD that I burned would stall out on the hardware probe :o ; (sounds like FreeBSD) but then again, it is an "alpha". :blink:Mepis - this one I will not give up on, just need to figure out what on earth it means by: (received process -11...expecting process -10) B) ; it goes through all the preliminaries fine, but after typing in the "user and password" at log-in, I type "startx" and it looks like it's going to start, and then I get the above error. :( I won't give up, though. I even tried it on the kids' Win98SE old PC, and get the identical error! Starting to wonder about this d/l also.If I ever get them working, will be sure to report... B)

Hi Quint,Hope you do the md5sum on your downloads before burning them to CD . . . . . . but aside from that:It would not surprise me at all, if some of these Live Cds just will not work. Since some time there are ¨HowTo Make a Live CD¨ circulating on the net and everybody is having a go at it. Not everybody can be successful and the more there are released the more popular it gets to make one. All sorts of enthousiat initiatives will sure cause an avalanche of Live Cds . . . . . . we sure have not seen the end yet !We have a nice listing of them in The Tips already and I would only add those ones that really stick out of the masses . . . also they should be easy on those among us who never came close to Linux at all.Thanks for testing, Quint !;) Bruno

Hi Quint,Hope you do the md5sum on your downloads before burning them to CD . . . .  . . but aside from that:It would not surprise me at all, if some of these Live Cds just will not work. Since some time there are  ¨HowTo Make a Live CD¨ circulating on the net and everybody is having a go at it. Not everybody can be successful and the more there are released the more popular it gets to make one. All sorts of enthousiat initiatives will sure cause an avalanche of Live Cds . . . . . . we sure have not seen the end yet !We have a nice listing of them in The Tips already and I would only add  those ones that really stick out of the masses . . . also they should be easy on those among us who never came close to Linux at all.Thanks for testing, Quint !;) Bruno
Sage advice as always, Bruno. ;) Did in fact do the checksum on Dynebolic, and it did check out ok, for the Mepis d/l, there was no MD5 to be found ;) , so took a chance. You have taught us of the importance of these checks...thanks. :lol:

Just wanted to make clear that even if the checksum is OK, with these new Live CDs, it does not mean they will work 100% on an other computer then the one of the developer himself. ;);) Bruno

Just wanted to make clear that even if the checksum is OK, with these new Live CDs, it does not mean they will work 100% on an other computer then the one of the developer himself. ;);) Bruno
Unfortunately, that is probably the case here. :lol: But I will keep trying. ;)

QuintBeen doing the same thing, with varied degrees of success...The earlier versions of Knoppix 3.2 ,ISO burn no problem, Install no problem..the one from June...I get decompression errors..and that is regardless of D/L site or burning medium..Burned in Windows with ISO Burner, Nero...and in linux with K3b...Last night d/l and burned Peanutlinx in K3b no problem...Could burn the Suse Live CD in Nero, not in ISO Burner or K3b..go figure.

QuintBeen doing the same thing, with varied degrees of success...The earlier versions of Knoppix 3.2 ,ISO burn no problem, Install no problem..the one from June...I get decompression errors..and that is regardless of D/L site or burning medium..Burned in Windows with ISO Burner, Nero...and in linux with Kb3...Last night d/l and burned Peanutlinx in Kb3 no problem...Could burn the Suse Live CD in Nero, not in ISO Burner or Kb3..go figure.
Hi BarryB,That's very odd that one "burner program" works, and one does not. :D I thank you for the response, let's me know that it's not my burner or something that I am doing wrong (for a change). :)

Quint I have a new project for you: VectorLinux LIVE: Here ( ISO and checksum ) !!!  ( 180 MB )Homepage Vector for more info.:lol: Bruno
Thank you very much, Bruno, was not aware of it; d/l as I type. :lol: Hope I have better luck than I did with the "install" CD. :lol:

I was not aware you had problems with the install of Vector . . . . one of my personal favorite distro´s.:lol: Bruno

I was not aware you had problems with the install of Vector . . . . one of my personal favorite distro´s.B) Bruno
Bruno,Was a while ago; can't locate the thread. You gave me help, tips, suggestions...still had no luck. B) Will try again today, as I rather enjoyed what I saw from the "live cd". ;) The "IceWM" desktop intrigues me.

quint,

Was a while ago; can't locate the thread. You gave me help, tips, suggestions...still had no luck.  Will try again today, as I rather enjoyed what I saw from the "live cd".  The "IceWM" desktop intrigues me.
IceWM should be available for Slackware/other distros, should you choose to use it. However, you may need to use the source... B)http://xwinman.orghttp://www.icewm.org/tranquilo

Hi QuintIceWN is already on your Slackware, but the skin Vector uses will be hard to find, I was looking for that one too and never managed to find it. ( Also the wallpaper Vector uses as default for IceWM is very nice ;) )Maybe you should just try downloading/installing Vector again, after all you got lots more of experience now, did Slack install ( Vector is based on Slack ) and know the ¨silver bullet¨ You might just be more lucky this time !Installing fom the Live CD is as far as I know not possible ( you could search their homepage for info )B) Bruno

Hi QuintIceWN is already on your Slackware, but the skin Vector uses will be hard to find, I was looking for that one too and never managed to find it. ( Also the wallpaper Vector uses as default for IceWM is very nice B) )Maybe you should just try downloading/installing Vector again, after all you got lots more of experience now, did Slack install ( Vector is based on Slack ) and know the ¨silver bullet¨ You might just be more lucky this time !Installing fom the Live CD is as far as I know not possible ( you could search their homepage for info )B) Bruno
Hi Bruno, thanks for the suggestions; will try what you say about using the "Silver Bullet", as I recall one of the errors I got, trying to install Vector, was similar to the one that prevented me from installing Slackware in the beginning...thanks. Have been reading about Vector at their site, in preparation, thanks once more. ;)

Hope you have more luck this time with Vector, install problems are very rare with this distro, I can´t really remember what went wrong last time . . . . seems like years ago anyway ! Keep us posted.B) Bruno

Hope you have more luck this time with Vector, install problems are very rare with this distro, I can´t really remember what went wrong last time . . . . seems like years ago anyway ! Keep us posted.B) Bruno
Hi Bruno, typing this from VectorSOHO...Yay! :) Tried 3x to install Vector - no go. :( So d/l burn, checksum, install VectorSOHO - no problems. B) Well, I do have one problem: don't know how it happened, but the screen resolution must be 1600 x 1000! B) Can't hardly see what I'm typing...the cursor is smaller than a "deer tick"! :D Tried the Ctrl + Alt + -, but no good. Where do I find the Control Panel (or whatever it's called), so I can put this back to 1024x768? Any help greatly appreciated, as always, my friend. B) So far this is a "keeper". Yesterday, I d/l, burned, installed, the "new" IcePack 2.75 flavor, again it has to be the "All-Time Easiest OS to Install", but it just doesn't measure up to Mandrake, SuSE, RedHat, Debian, and, of course, Slackware. :D Still trying to figure out where I went wrong with Vector, but perhaps you can help me...thanks. ;)

The solution is again simple Quint:suvasmAnd you can configure your screen resolution and whatever else you like !!Glad you like Vector, the distro that has a specia warm place in my heart . . . . Do explore the MC, I wrote a few lines about it in the Vector Live thread.B) Bruno

The solution is again simple Quint:suvasmAnd you can configure your screen resolution and whatever else you like !!Glad you like Vector, the distro that has a specia warm place in my heart . . . . Do explore the MC, I wrote a few lines about it in the Vector Live thread.B) Bruno
Thanks, Bruno...you always come through, my friend. B) Read your help with Julia, in the other thread, about MC - never investigated it much...but I will. I'm really liking this Vector - a lot!! (Figures that it's based on Slack)! Will try your advice and report back after dinner - mama is screaming...she doesn't yet realize that man/woman does not live by bread alone...Slackware is the utensil of choice! ;) Thank you.