Shamgar Wants to Try Suse

Shamgar

well it appears that I cannot d an easy reinstall. I get the message: Setup cannot install Windows 98 in your computer as an error was detected while formating you primary harddisk partion.Well maybe I will get a chance to use my ULTIMATE BOOT CD!!!!!! I think I need to Fdisk this drive.Actually what I should do is stick Linux on the 40 gig harddrive and put Windows 98 on the 15 gig harddrive since I will have to do a reinstall anyways. yupi3ti.gif1074.gifclap.gifeusa_clap.gifclap.gif

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shamgar

• Bruno

• teacher

• BarryB

Top Posters In This Topic

Well you can install 3 luxury Linux distros on hda . . give them plenty of space . . . ;)What you can try too is go into the MCC again and reformat C: . . . clean it up . . then Windows will install no problem . . . . and you will not have to mess up your Mandrake 9.2 install that runs so fine now and is all updated and all ;)The choice is yours my friend . . . :thumbsup:B) BrunoPS: If you use the ultimat boot CD . . . use Killdisk to wipe that HD . . does a better job then Fdisk

Well you can install 3 luxury Linux distros on hda . . give them plenty of space . . . ;)What you can try too is go into the MCC again and reformat C:  . . . clean it up . . then Windows will install no problem . . . . and you will not have to mess up your Mandrake 9.2 install that runs so fine now and is all updated and all ;)The choice is yours my friend . . . :thumbsup:B) BrunoPS: If you use the ultimat boot CD . . . use Killdisk to wipe that HD . . does a better job then Fdisk

Thanks Bruno. Well, I would rather have three distributions of linux on that big harddrive then Windows 98SE. Either way Windows is a pain to reinstall. Besides, I wrote down all the steps to get Mandrake 9.2 PP installed just incase this happened.clap.gifclap.gifWindows you are banished to the 15 gig hardrive! Blast it off the drive! Fire!!!!uglypanzer.gifuglypanzer.gifuglypanzer.gif Windows 98 SEuglypanzer.gifuglypanzer.gif Edited by Shamgar

In that case you can just use the Mandrake partitioner to wipe hda clean and make 3 ( or 4 one for /home mandrake your main install ) Linux partitions . . . a ReiserFS for SUSE ( last position :) ) and Ext3 for mandrake . . . when all that is installed you wipe hdb and install Windows . . . ( that way you can still use the computer with 9.2 on hdb til all is installed on hda ) . . . . we do need to make another boot CD before you re-instal windows then though ! ( If you ever will reinstall it B) :D )I am logging off . . have to work tomorrow :DB) Bruno

In that case you can just use the Mandrake partitioner to wipe hda clean and make 3 ( or 4 one for /home mandrake your main install ) Linux partitions . . . a ReiserFS for SUSE ( last position :) ) and Ext3 for mandrake . . . when all that is installed you wipe hdb and install Windows . . . ( that way you can still use the computer with 9.2 on hdb til all is installed on hda ) . . . . we do need to make another boot CD before you re-instal windows then though ! ( If you ever will reinstall it B) :D )I am logging off . . have to work tomorrow :DB) Bruno

When you get a chance I need to know the size of each of these partitions on the 40 gig drive.

Hey you're supposed to be asleep!
And I was . . . . . . :w00t: . . . . . but even when I sleep I keep an eye on silly questions the forum :PB) Bruno

And I was . . . . . . :yes: . . . . .  but even when I sleep I keep an eye on silly questions the forum :PB) Bruno

Some people walk in their sleep. . . . you surf the web in your sleep.s6vhaha.gifz7shysterical.gifjestelaughjest.gif799.gifrofl.giflaughing1.gificon_lol.gifcomp11.gifdescojono1tz.gifI think I am going to put Mandrake 10.1 on as the main program. I have the update CD coming in few days so I think I will wait until then before I wipe out the big drive. Mandrake 9.2 will go on next with Suse at the end. My Xerox Docuprint P8 is a boat anchor :w00t: ;) so I need Windows on the 15 gig drive - plus my games won't all run in Linux :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: .

If you want to make it yourself real easy you do a "test-install" of the 10.1 first and see if all things work . . . then you reinstall windows, then 9.2 and then 10.1 again that way you can keep overwriting the BIOS without having to tweak anything only with the ( 2nd round ) 10.1 you make a boot-CD and add 9.2 to the LIlo . . . then you do the last one, SUSE . . . also there overwrite the MBR with lilo to be able to do the second phase of the SUSE install . . . . When also that one is perfect you boot from the Drake 10.1 boot-CD and we add SUSE to Lilo so you will have a 4-option booting lilo.If however 10.1 is wobly, you better do the same routine but read 9.2 where I wrote 10.1 :thumbsup: . . .we can then always try to tweak 10.1 later but not use it as "Main" ;):rolleyes: Bruno

So you think that I should have Mandrake 9.2 on as the main instead of 10.1? That way I could install the download version ( a shorter install) first, then windows. Then I could install 9.2 Powerpack (which would be the longer install)? Then 10.1 and then Suse? B) Arrh . . . . Avast Matey! It don't really matter to me as long as Windows goes to the small drive and Linux goes to the big drive.

Nope that is not what I am saying . . . I just mean that you know how 9.2 behaves on this system . . . now we first need to know how 10.1 behaves before we can take such a decission B) ( I know you had problems with 10.0 ):D Bruno

Okay Bruno, cleaning the house is complete. :teehee: I am going to try to partition the Windows harddrive (37 gig actual). When I removed all the existing partitions from hda and clicked “create†I received a dialog that said “Create a new partitionâ€. I selected 8100MB (you had said “Mandrake ( main ) / = 8 GBâ€)Filesystem type: Journalized ext 3;mount point root: /When I clicked on "okay" I get a disk drake dialog that says†Directory / already contains data (mnt, home, dev, etc, tmp . . . .). I am given the chioce of:1.move files to the new partitionor 2. hide filesWhat do I do? :P

You tell it to hide the files Sham . . . we do not want those files on the new partition because we will overwrite them anayway ;):teehee: Bruno

NOT good Sham . . :(You gave the ALL mountpoints . . . . and you should not give them mount points !Then the /swap is not formatted as "swap" ( button "type" and tell it to format it as swap )So: You want NO mout-points at all in this stage . . . only if you really go installing you assign partitions to /home and / . . . the /backup should never be mounted :DBack to the drawing board . . . B)B) Bruno

NOT good Sham . . :(You gave the ALL mountpoints  . . . . and you should not give them mount points !Then the /swap is not formatted as "swap" ( button "type" and tell it to format it as swap )So: You want NO mout-points at all in this stage . . . only if you really go installing you assign partitions to /home and /  . . . the /backup should never be mounted :DBack to the drawing board . . . :):pirate: Bruno

Okay then I have no clue what you want. B) B)

I just want you to make partitions . . . . but not assign them to /home or / yet . . . just devide the space and format it in the correct Ext3- ReiserFS- . . . or swap-formatB) BrunoPS: Remember what we did last time when it asked where to mount it ?? We did choose the blank option from the drop down list B)

"I see" said the blind man. Okay I think I know what you are talking about. I leave the mount point blank for each partition.. B)

!00% correct !!! . . . AND you see to it that the 1 Gig partition gets formatted "swap" ( so it looks green B) )B) Bruno

Then format the partition meant for backup as FAT32 B) . . and you will be able to use it for both . . . . . but again NO moint point :DB) Bruno

Then format the partition meant for backup as FAT32 B) . . and you will be able to use it for both . . . . . but again NO moint point :DB) Bruno

Okay. On each of these partitions you want me to click format? Or do you want me to wait and press "done" it will format then? I haven't done anything again but waiting.

Do you want me to click format on each of these now or clcik "Done" and let it format all of these? B) Device: hda1Type Journalized FS: ext 3size: 8.1 GB (21%)not formattedDevice: hda5Type Journalized FS: ext 3size: 6 GB (16%)not formattedDevice: hda6Type Journalized FS: ext 3size: 10 GB (27%)not formattedMount Point : swapDevice: hda7size: 1.1 GB (3%)not formattedDevice: hda8Dos drive letter c: (just a guess)Type: FAT32size: 5 GB (13%)not formattedDevice: hda9Type Device: hda1Type Journalized FS: Reiser FSsize: 6.8 GB (18%)not formatted