• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shamgar

• Bruno

• teacher

• BarryB

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay . . and it is "umounted " ?? . . . Now you have several other buttons in the left panel have you ? Can you list them for me ??B) Bruno

Okay . . good . . .but we need more buttons B) . . . . press the "Toggle to expert mode" button in the bottom and you will get even more buttons . . . . Then make sure you are still on D: . . . and push the resize button . . a little window will pop up with a slider . . . . . . take 10 G off . . then show me another shotB) Bruno

If ALL the data from that D: is backed up we can delete the partition and make a new ( smaller ) D: first . . and after that use the free space for making a SUSE partition.:pirate: Bruno

If ALL the data from that D: is backed up we can delete the partition and make a new ( smaller ) D: first . . and after that use the free space for making a SUSE partition.:pirate: Bruno

The only thing that appears to be on the D: is the trashbin. I removed everything else. I mainly used it to store pictures.

HURRAY !!Now click onn the empty part and press "Create" or something like that . . . . we will first make a small Win partition . . . ( FAT 32 )( I need to know what buttons you have in the left panel . . you can remove old screenshots if you need to so you can upload new ones :pirate: )B) Bruno

Okay . . ther is only one button . . . "Create" and that is what we will do . . . . :DNow when you get the pop-up here is what needs to be inside:

Start Sector: ???????Size in MB: Push it to the maxFilesystem: Type: Journaled FS ReiserFSMount point: EMPTY . . ( there is a possebillity to leave that empty ! NO mountpoint :pirate: )Preference:
B) Bruno

Great news !!If I am not mistaken the SUSE partition will be hda6 . . . now write that on your sleeve so you do not forget . . . . . and reboot to see what Windows is saying about the new D: you created ;)I will be inspecting the last screenshot ;):w00t: Bruno

Well I clicked done (twice) and rebooted. I did not go to windows or the boot loader but receieved this is the message: "Type thename of the command interpreter (e.g. c:\windows\command.com)a>

Sorry a little panic made me forget some details. Okay. After I rebooted I go to LILO and I have all my choices. I clicked windows and received this message:"Type thename of the command interpreter (e.g. c:\windows\command.com)a>" I did reboot again an went into Mandrake 9.2. That is where I am at right now.

Looks like Windows had its start files on a hidden part of the D partition . . . . you will need to do a repair install of Windows . . . it will make a new partition for those files and so hda5 will most likely become hda6 . . and hda6 will be hda7 . . . ( or it will make a hda2 and leave the numbers as they are )A repair install is possible without you losing your files on C: . . . but if you want to make sure you do not loose "My Documents" copy the most important ones over to Mandrake just to be sure ( you can still go "in" windows C: from Mandrake )Gaucho had the same not long ago and a repair fixed it :w00t: . . . but you need the mandrake boot-CD after that because Windows will overwrite the MBR . . so we need to restore the Lilo later using the boot CD.:thumbsup: Bruno

Is it Win 98 ?? . . . . And it had its startfiles on D ? . . .Very unusual . . . . . :'(Anyway . . yes that is what I want you to do . . simply install win 98 on C . . . . ( I doubt if win 98 had the "repair" option . . . but I could be wrong ) . . . . you have it all backed up so what can you loose ??Sorry Sham . . . . it was all going so well up to now :w00t: . . . . . Well, we have the partitions set up, a quick install of 98 and we are ready for the big jump to SUSE ( tomorrow :thumbsup: )Do check after the Windows install with your Drake boot CD what the partition numbers are ! . . . And you can restore lilo with

# /sbin/lilo

No worries because Windows wlll boot after that because it will again be on C ;):lol: BrunoPS: What a wild adventure . . . . isn't it ?