Shamgar Wants to Try Suse

Shamgar

LOL . . . .  . funny isn't it ??Okay Sham show me
# uname -r

And I will have a quick dinner and come back to you ;):D Bruno

2.6.8.1-12mdkIs it okay I added a game while I waited before I did the bootcd? :D BTW are these bootcd's specific for each harddrive? So I will need to do another Mandrake 9.2 bootcd since it is going from the 15 gig to th 40 gig? Edited by Shamgar

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shamgar

• Bruno

• teacher

• BarryB

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure you can play any game you want Sham LOL . . :D :DYou best make boot-CDs for every distro you install . . but the most important one is the one of the distro you will use Lilo from to multiboot all your OS-es ;)Here is the command ( ONE LINE !! )

# mkrescue --iso --initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.8.1-12mdk.img  --kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.8.1-12mdk

Now after that command reports to be successful you will find in your /home/shamgar a file called "rescue.iso" . . . . just tell me if it is there ;):D Bruno

Sure you can play any game you want Sham LOL . . :D :DYou best make boot-CDs for every distro you install . . but the most important one is the one of the distro you will use Lilo from to multiboot all your OS-es ;)Here is the command ( ONE LINE !! )
# mkrescue --iso --initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.8.1-12mdk.img  --kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.8.1-12mdk

Now after that command reports to be successful you will find in your /home/shamgar a file called "rescue.iso" . . . . just tell me if it is there ;)B) Bruno

Actually, I remember I was told not to do "anything" before doing the bootcd so I was wondering if that qualified as "anything". :thumbsdown: "Yes" I see the iso. Do I raost it, now? Has was dinner . . . yummy?

Excellent !!! . . . Brilliant !! :DNow you are ready for your next install . . Mandrake 9.2 it was I thought ?Okay now note down on what partitions Mandrake 10.1 lives and see to it that during the install of 9.2 you leave the boxes for those partitions EMPTY . . . you only mark the / and /home you want for Mandrake 9.2 !Then when it comes to Lilo . . . . place Lilo in the MBR . . it will overwrite the Drake 10.1 lilo but that is why we have a boot-CD made for 10.1 . . . . we will fix that lilo later, do not try to do any fixing during the install just go for the default lilo 9.2 wants to make.After the install you check if 9.2 is fully okay . . . you check if 10.1 still boots from the boot-CD and you then go back to 9.2 to do the updates with the update-CD . . . Then tomorrow I will help you to set up the Drake 10.1 lilo to include 9.2 and write that one to the MBR.LOL . . . . . . Questions ?? . . . . . . LOL . . . . . . . Sure you have it all down ! ;):thumbsdown: Bruno

Excellent !!! . . . Brilliant !! :DNow you are ready for your next install . . Mandrake 9.2 it was I thought ?Okay now note down on what partitions Mandrake 10.1 lives and see to it that during the install of 9.2 you leave the boxes for those partitions EMPTY . . . you only mark the / and /home you want for Mandrake 9.2 !Then when it comes to Lilo . . . . place Lilo in the MBR . . it will overwrite the Drake 10.1 lilo but that is why we have a boot-CD made for 10.1 . . . . we will fix that lilo later, do not try to do any fixing during the install just go for the default lilo 9.2 wants to make.After the install you check if 9.2 is fully okay . . . you check if 10.1 still boots from the boot-CD and you then go back to 9.2 to do the updates with the update-CD . . . Then tomorrow I will help you to set up the Drake 10.1 lilo to include 9.2 and write that one to the MBR.LOL . . . . . . Questions ??  . . . . . . LOL . . . . . . . Sure you have it all down ! ;):D Bruno

Okay, I'll give it a try. If you hear this faint screaming it probably is just me. :devil:

LOL . . I will put little earplugs in :D . . . . . :) :DB) Bruno

A quick question before you hit the "feathers" I am planning on putting Mandrake 9.2 in the third partion hda6 (10 gig) does this get split into / and /home? :devil: I mean when I come to that choice will it put both into that spot if I remove the other / and /home for 10.1 and the previous 9.2? Edited by Shamgar

No if you have only hda6 for Mandake 9.2 you put just / in hda6 and leave ALL other partitions blank ( empty ) . . that way the installer will know it has to put /home in hda6 too . . . . . so all will be on one partition.100% clear ? . . Or do you want me to try to explain it in another way . . . ?See most likely the "partition screen" will by default show up with marks for / and /home in hda1 and hda5 . . . you will have to remove those marks first and make those empty . . then you just put the / in hda6 and continue the install.A few screens earlier you choose "new install " ( not upgrade ) and "existing partitions" ( because the partitions are already made ) . . then you get the famous "partition screen" I was writing about here above ;):devil: Bruno

No if you have only hda6 for Mandake 9.2 you put just / in hda6 and leave ALL other partitions blank ( empty )  . . that way the installer will know it has to put /home in hda6 too . . . . . so all will be on one partition.100% clear ?  . . Or do you want me to try to explain it in another way . . . ?See most likely the "partition screen"  will by default show up with marks for / and /home in hda1 and hda5 . . . you will have to remove those marks first and make those empty . . then you just put the / in hda6 and continue the install.A few screens earlier you choose "new install " ( not upgrade )  and "existing partitions" ( because the partitions are already made ) . . then you get the famous "partition screen" I was writing about here above ;):D Bruno

Clear as mud. . . just kidding. No this is a new install of Mandrake 9.2 on existing partitions. I will remove the / from hda1 and /home from hda5. I will put / in hda6 and leave everything else blank. Thanks! :devil:

You got it !!! . . . That is in 5 words where I needed a full page :devil: !! Pretty soon you will be able to replace me . . :D :DB) Bruno

You got it !!! . . . That is in 5 words where I needed a full page B) !! Pretty soon you will be able to replace me . . :o :DB) Bruno

If you want the forum to make it to another birthday don't put me in charge of giving computer hints. :D . . . . if you wanted to start another section on the forum of "What Not To Do To Your Computer" I could be pretty good at that one. . . the "poster child". ;) Okay. Mandrake 9.2 is installed and updated. Also the 9.2 media is updated to powerpack. Mandrake 10.1 still boots from bootcd.BTW what is this code?# uname -rDoes this tell you the kernel for a specific distribution? Edited by Shamgar

LOL Shammy . . . . so you managed to get through the install without causing any real dammage ? . . ;) B) :o . . . . Well done my friend !We will next make a boot CD . . please show me

# ls /boot

:D BrunoPS: After the boot CD we will start tweaking the Mandrake 10.1 Lilo . . . . that only takes 20 -30 minutes if we are both online at the same time :D

LOL Shammy . . . . so you managed to get through the install without causing any real dammage ?  . . B) :D :D . . . . Well done my friend !We will next make a boot CD . . please show me
# ls /boot

B) BrunoPS: After the boot CD we will start tweaking the Mandrake 10.1 Lilo . . . . that only takes 20 -30 minutes if we are both online at the same time :D

Thanks Barry. Well actually Bruno, I did have to reinstall 9.2 since I was installing program and the MCC ate the menu. ;) Here is # ls /boot from Mandrake 9.2boot.0300 initrd.img@ System.map@config@ kernel.h@ System.map-2.4.22-10mdkconfig-2.4.22-10mdk kernel.h-2.4.22-10mdk us.kltdiag1.img map vmlinuz@diag2.img message@ vmlinuz-2.4.22-10mdkgrub/ message-graphicinitrd-2.4.22-10mdk.img message-text[root@localhost Shamgar]# Edited by Shamgar

Hi ShamThe menu-bug is a known one and you do NOT have to reinstall to fix it . . B) . . there is a simple code as a fix ;) ( Remember ? We did it once before a few weeks ago )Anyway . . here is the command for the boot CD:

# mkrescue --iso --initrd /boot/initrd-2.4.22-10mdk.img  --kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.22-10mdk

You know about the rescue.iso in /home/shamgar . . . and how to burn it . . :DB) Bruno

Hi ShamThe menu-bug is a known one and you do NOT have to reinstall to fix it . . :D  . . there is a simple code as a fix B) ( remember ? We did it once before a few weeks ago )Anyway . . here is the command for the boot CD:
# mkrescue --iso --initrd /boot/initrd-2.4.22-10mdk.img  --kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.22-10mdk

You know about the rescue.iso in /home/shamgar . . . and how to burn it  . . :DB) Bruno

How about the code for the fix while am I am busy making another coaster . . I mean bootcd. ;)

How about the code for the fix while am I am busy making another coaster . . I mean bootcd. ;)

LOL B) . . . . so you do NOT remember do you ?? . . . LOL :D :D :PFirst as "user"
$ update-menus -v

Until it stops and then you do Ctrl+C to get the prompt backThen the same as "root":D Bruno

Oh, I used that code after the update. I thought there was a different one for the hungary MCC. ;) Anyway what am I doing wrong with this: B) [root@localhost Shamgar]# mkrescue --iso --initrd /boot/initrd-2.3.22-10mdk.img --kernel/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.22-10mdkunrecognized argument: --kernel/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.22-10mdkusage: mkrescue [--help] mkrescue [--version] mkrescue [--device <device>] [--fast] [--fs ext2|msdos|minix] [--initrd <file> --kernel <file>] [--keymap <keymap.ktl>] [--append <string>] [--nocompact] [--noformat] [--root <device>] [--size 1440|1200|2880] --device is the floppy drive; e.g., /dev/fd0 --fast specifies creation using a loopback device, which may be faster --fs is the filesystem to make on the device; e.g., ext2 --help prints this helpfile --iso create a bootable ISO image to burn to a CD-R or CD-RW --keymap is the keyboard translation table; default to same as lilo.conf --noformat bypasses creation of a new filesystem on device --nocompact omits lilo map file compaction --size is assumed to be 1440 (1.44M), unless 1200 or 2880 is specified --initrd and --kernel are the initial ramdisk & kernel files --append is a string used to specify kernel options --root is the root filesystem for the boot floppy; e.g., current --version prints the version number of mkrescueUsed without any arguments, mkrescue will use the default kernel in/etc/lilo.conf, the companion initrd (if any), and the specified rootfilesystem to make a bootable rescue floppy.[root@localhost Shamgar]#

I see you have a space missing in that command you gave Sham . . . between --kernel and /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.22-10mdk B);) Bruno

Has to work . . try again:

mkrescue --iso --initrd /boot/initrd-2.4.22-10mdk.img  --kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.22-10mdk

;) Bruno

[root@localhost Shamgar]# mkrescue --iso --initrd /boot/initrd-2.3.22-10mdk.img --kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.22-10mdkInitial ramdisk file /boot/initrd-2.3.22-10mdk.img does not exist[root@localhost Shamgar]#

You made a TYPO . . . you typed/boot/initrd-2.3.22-10mdk.img it has to be/boot/initrd-2.4.22-10mdk.img :DB) Bruno

Okay, have retyped it again and made about 4 more typos so now I have it correct and am roasting now. Must go eat. . . homemade pizza.

Great !!!! . . So in the end it did work :DOkay go off and eat your pizza . . . . but be back soon so we can fix that Drake 10.1 lilo today . . . ( be booted in Drake 10.1 when you return ;) ):D BrunoPS: If it is pepperoni . . save a slice for me B)

Great !!!! . . So in the end it did work :DOkay go off and eat your pizza . . . . but be back soon so we can fix that Drake 10.1 lilo today . . . ( be booted in Drake 10.1 when you return ;) )B) BrunoPS: If it is pepperoni . . save a slice for me ;)

Yes, I made the iso, burned the cd and booted with the bootcd. Yes there was pepperoni. . . sorry the relatives ate every single piece. .. their favorite . . . no mine :thumbsdown: Booting to 10.1 right about . . . . . now. :thumbsup:

sorry the relatives ate every single piece
LOL . . . No manners . . makes me real sad ;) :POnce booted in Drake I first need to know on what partition you installed Drake 9.2 . . was it hda6 ?? ( I can not remember :thumbsdown: ):thumbsup: Bruno

No manners . . makes me real sad ;) :POnce booted in Drake I first need to know on what partition you installed Drake 9.2 . . was it hda6 ?? ( I can not remember :thumbsdown: );) Bruno

Yes, Mandrake 9.2 is on hda6. I like it when my relative arrive and I like it when they leave, also :thumbsup: Edited by Shamgar