Shamgar Wants to Try Suse

Shamgar

The startmenu has an easy fix: ( this was a bug in 9.2 )Alt+F2 will get you a "run-box" . . type "konsole" . . . . now first as user type "update-menus -v" .. . wait till it stops at least 5 sec . . . . then press Ctrl+C . . . After that do the same as root . . .and you will have your menu back . . . . :) Bruno

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shamgar

• Bruno

• teacher

• BarryB

Top Posters In This Topic

By putting the bootcd in the drive and:1. Opening a window in Konqueror - "Yes" the disc has boot.bin, boot.cat, TRANS.TBL2. Rebooting? - "No" Shamgar is waiting for the "firing orders" before he does something he will regret.uglypanzer.gif

You are not saying that the CD does not work are you ??:) Bruno

Sorry, What I meant to say is all Ihave done is to put it into the tray and open it by double clcking on the cdrom. I have NOT rebooted the computer. Those are the firing orders I am waiting for.

OOOOO . . . . . well put the CD in the drive and reboot . . . .and let me know what happens . . .( sorry I got sidetracked by StreamTuner :) )o:) Bruno

OOOOO . . . . . well put the CD in the drive and reboot . . .  .and let me know what happens  . . .( sorry I got sidetracked by StreamTuner B) )B) Bruno

Okay I rebooted. A red screen with Lilo 22.5.7.2 . . . . . . came up . . . .and before I could finish writing this info down it loaded mandrake 9.2. Naughty Mandrake! Don't you know how to "heel"!!!! :(

A red LILO screen is good . . .so it works !Now off to install SUSE . . . . . . to make it easy do place Lilo of SUSE in the MBR after all because a SUSE install takes place in 2 phases . . you need to reboot between the 2 . . . and because I will be offline in 90 minutes I will not be able to add it to Drakes lilo before tomorrow.So then you can boot SUSE from the MBR and Drake with the CD . . . . . .then tomorrow we will write the SUSE Lilo also to the SUSE / ( root ) partition and add it to the Drake Lilo and the multiboot will be complete :DI hope I expressed myself clear and you understand what the plan is :PB) Bruno

A red LILO screen is good  . .  .so it works !Now off to install SUSE . . . . . . to make it easy do place Lilo of SUSE in the MBR after all because a SUSE install takes place in 2 phases . . you need to reboot between the 2 . . . and because I will be offline in 90 minutes I will not be able to add it to Drakes lilo before tomorrow.So then you can boot SUSE from the MBR and Drake with the CD . . . . . .then tomorrow we will write the SUSE Lilo also to the SUSE / ( root ) partition and add it to the Drake Lilo and the multiboot will be complete :DI hope I expressed myself clear and you understand what the plan is :PB) Bruno

BRAVO1.gifBRAVO1.gifI think so. Yes, I understand the bootloader goes in the MBR. I remember there was a reboot in an odd spot on the Suse install. The part I don't understand is how Suse gets onto my Mandrake 9.2 harddrive without overwriting that install.teacher said " Push an arrow key to go up or down and lilo will stay put as long as you want. The timer stops when you press a key!" Thanks. I was caught like a deer in the headlights when i saw that red page come flashing up.37.gif37.gif37.gif37.gif37.gifBRAVO1.gif

The part I don't understand is how Suse gets onto my Mandrake 9.2 harddrive without overwriting that install.
I hope you have already made partitions for SUSE using the Mandrake partition tool ?? . . . Well then you install in those partitions and it will not overwrite Mandrake ;)And Do Make Sure you set the bootloader it wants to install from the default Grub to Lilo . . . it can be done but you have to change it ( it presents a summary someplace and you will see Grub marked as bootloader, if you click on that part you will ge the option to change it to Lilo )Just do write down what hda?? Mandrake lives and what hda?? you want SUSE . . . ( ?? = number B) ):( Bruno

I hope you have already made partitions for SUSE using the Mandrake partition tool ?? . . . Well then you install in those partitions and it will not overwrite Mandrake ;)And Do Make Sure you set the bootloader it wants to install from the default Grub to Lilo . . . it can be done but you have to change it ( it presents a summary someplace and you will see Grub marked as bootloader, if you click on that part you will ge the option to change it to Lilo )Just do write down what hda?? Mandrake lives and what hda?? you want SUSE . . . ( ?? = number B) ):( Bruno

Bruno, I have no clue how to do the partitions. I only know how to partition for a single install. I do have a "map" of my current partitions so I know where my Windows and Linux points are. I think I should hold off until tomorrow when time is not so pressing. That way you can get some sleep and II won't be kicking my computer when something goes wrong and I can't get ahold of you.203687.gifh9yboredom.gifzzz.gifzzz.gif61.gifsmilie_bett.gifclosedeyes.gifd2bsleep.gif1.gif

Good plan !We will do the partitioning together tomorrow ! And take our time for it so we do not make mistakes ;)When you click on my name<----------------- Thereyou will get my profile . . in the profile is my "User's local time" . . . I will be online at 19:30 to 24:00 tomorrow :(B) Bruno

Good plan !We will do the partitioning together tomorrow ! And take our time for it so we do not make mistakes ;)When you click on my name<----------------- Thereyou will get my profile . . in the profile is my "User's local time" . . . I will be online at 19:30 to 24:00 tomorrow :(B) Bruno

You are about 7 hours ahead of me. Whenever you want to start throw out the first steps and I will get to them when I get up. Thanks. . . See you tomorrow.1.gifd2bsleep.gifsleep.gif61.gifzzz.gifblyawn.gif203687.gif

I am indeed online briefly in the morning too . . but that is no good to us, we need quick answer - reply posts . . . so it will be evening for me and afternoon for you ;)B) Bruno

I am indeed online briefly in the morning too . . but that is no good to us, we need quick answer - reply posts . . . so it will be evening for me and afternoon for you ;);) Bruno

No problem. Whenever you are ready I will be here.musik02.gifmusik02.gifmusik02.gifmusik02.gif

LOL . . I hope you have towels ready to wipe the sweat of your forehead B) :P1). Open the MCC --> Moint Points --> Partitions . . . .2). Ignore the warning you get :P3). First: do how many HDs do you have and do you see them in tabs listed as hda and hdb ?4). Is thee only "red" or do you have "blue" parts too ??5). Can you make a screenshot . . . or discribe what the situation is, is there free space ( no color ) ?6). Take no action on the partitions yet ! Just report :DB) Bruno

Well my other computer is upstairs so I am doing some moving. If you hear a crash and a boom it's just me falling down the stairs.I have two physical hardrives and "yes" I see them. I was in Windows yesterday. Windows is A or the master and Linux is B the slave drive B) http://img183.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img183&ima...reenshot1jk.jpgscreenshot1jk.th.jpg

Edited by Shamgar

LOL . . you updated your post . . . . where do you want to install SUSE hda or hdb ??And if hdb, can I see a shot of hdb too ?B) Bruno

Sorry, I had to go eat so here is the second screenshot. Suse will go with on hdb with Mandrake 9.2. Would I have room to put 10.1 on here, also (not today though)?http://img183.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img183&ima...enshot018ti.jpgscreenshot018ti.th.jpg

But . . . . but . . . there is no inch space on hdb . . . . .B) . . . . /home is 5 GB and I think / will be about 7 . . . . . you do need that for the Drake PP . . . ( you could reduce /home to 2 but 3 GB for SUSE is not enough . . . that hd is only about 12 GB.What about hda2 ?? the Windows D: ?? . . .there seems enough space there . . if I remember well that HD was 37 GB ( can not get the screenshot anymore :) )B) Bruno

But . . . . but . . . there is no inch space on hdb  . . . . .B)  . . . . /home is 5 GB and I think / will be about 7 . . . . . you do need that for the Drake PP . . . ( you could reduce /home to 2 but 3 GB for SUSE is not enough . . . that hd is only about 12 GB.What about hda2 ?? the Windows D: ?? . . .there seems enough space there . . if I remember well that HD was 37 GB ( can not get the screenshot anymore :) )B) Bruno

I went to the image gallery and the full sized pictures are still there here:http://img183.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img183&ima...reenshot1jk.jpghttp://img183.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img183&ima...enshot018ti.jpgMaybe you should save them on your computer for a short time. Okay let's stick suse on the windows side. I have to remove so data from that drive first.

Backup important data from Win D: . . then defrag Win D: ( not Win C: . . not needed B) ) . . then we will resize Win D: in Mandrake . . that is quiet safe ( but still a backup of most important data can't hurt ) . . . and you will still have D: but the empty space we will use for SUSE ( 8 - 10 GB ):) BurnoPS: Wow, am I glad I saw those screenshots before we started tampering with hdb B)

Backup important data from Win D: . . then defrag Win D: ( not Win C: . . not needed B) ) . . then we will resize Win D: in Mandrake . . that is quiet safe ( but still a backup of most important data can't hurt )  . . . and you will still have D:  but the empty space we will use for SUSE ( 8 - 10 GB ):) BurnoPS: Wow, am I glad I saw those screenshots before we started tampering with hdb B)

Data burned to a cd and removed. Defrag complete. I'll go back to mandrake now.

When you are back in Mandrake and the MCC . . .click on the blue part that says "/mnt/win_d" . . . . and press the button "umount" . . . then tell me what size it indicates in the right panel.B) Bruno