Conexant modem problems

georgeg4

pppd:unrecognized option `/dev/ttySHSFO`
Here is the mistake George ! ( from the pppd output you posted )Did you fill in ¨/dev/ttySHSFO` some where ? This should have been: ¨/dev/ttySHCF0¨ with CF and a ZERO at the end !O.K. George bear with me . . . . OR you try to fix that mistake OR:We start all over again ! :)First we will un-install the old drivers:< su >root-password< rpm -e hcfpcimodem-0.99inxtbeta03042700k2.4.20_8-1rh.i586.rpm >These were the only drivers you´ve installed are they ? Or did you do a few more ?Another question: you downloaded the package in windows; how did you transport them to your RedHat ? And where did you put them in your RedHat before installing ?After you answer me those questions we will install the drivers again. I´m writing a how to right now !B) Bruno

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bruno

• georgeg4

• Peachy

• greengeek

ok I'm backI downloaded the drivers and burned them to cd and installed them from there .I did enter that ttySHFO in the Internet configuration wizard That's what jong told me to enter but I made the mistake of an o for a zero Perhaps I should try to correct that mistake before anything else do you think . It isn't much to change itAnd no I didnt install any other drivers in this instance of RH I did in the original install but I havent been using that because I might have corrupted it . I will probably uninstall that instance when I get this thing working right

O.K. George we´re getting near !Change that to ¨/dev/ttySHCF0¨ ( CF Zero ) and let´s see what we get !Waiting for your response.B) Bruno

Did you see my question about the Hyper Terminal in windows . does linux have a similar program
George, Bruno,what you are thinking about for an equivalent Linux version of HyperTerminal is Minicom. Minicom is actually a Linux version of the DOS app Telix, which HyperTerminal is more or less a Windows version of telix. Basically it provides ANSI and VT102 emulation on a PC. You can use it to dial your modem and connect to compatible hosts. You can also use it to set up a PPP connection to your ISP. I remember doing that about 5 years ago with Slackware 2.1.

Peachy I do not have any expirience with minicom, would not even know what it looks like. Let´s see what George comes back with, if this keeps failing Please take over and try the minicom with him. You´ll have to take him step by step though.B) Bruno

Here we go brunowhen I changed to /dev/ttySHCF0 I got the same message window I showed you beforeSo I went back to ttys1 which is if I am correct equivalent to COM2 where my modem is . It did activate but it didn't dial same as beforeWhen I log off and back on it deactivates itself . Which I assume is correct

equivalent to COM2 where my modem is
Now you confuse me George ! I thought you told me it was an internal PCI modem !B) Bruno

it is bruno there are two com ports in windows ( you can make more if need be ) and the modem is configured for com 2 in windows I found the chart belowtty0=com1tty1=com2tty2=com3tty3=com4

This is from their site:

Known problems:- Some people are having difficulties with certain dialer front-ends likekppp and the like which do not always reliably work. Running wvdial directlymight increase chances of success. A number of users also report good resultswith rp3 and kwvdial.
I did use wvdial before, it´s dead easy !Just type ¨wvdial¨ in a terminal and a GUI will pop up. Fill in telnr., username and password and you´re done.Could just give that a try. - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - I´m however still in favor of un-install the drivers, and then do a new install.copy the drivers to your /home/george directory and:< su >root-password< rpm -i hcfpcimodem-0.99inxtbeta03042700k2.4.20_8-1rh.i586.rpm >then:< hcfpciconfig --country >We will NOT use the normal network configuration tool !Then try:< wvdial >does it give a GUI ? Fill in tel.no, username and passwordIn addition you could do as I previously wrote:
< su > ( without the < > )( root-password )< rm -f /dev/modem > ( this is translated: RM space -F space /dev/modem )< ln -s ttySHCF0 /dev/modem > ( this is translated LN space -S space ttySHCFzero space /dev/modem )
To set the softlink right.B) Bruno

B) Hey if you guys get this thing working you should put it in "Thread of the Week", it'll probably make it into the newsletter.

Thanks for your support Greengeek we´re starting to need it badly ! Not giving up though !! :DB) Bruno

B) I have no patience for this sort of thing, I would have thrown it out and got an external one from somewhere. You deserve a medal for your help with this one Bruno.

Greengeek,I have no time for medals . . . . . . . just a nice bottle of French wine will do ! :( :( B) :( Bruno

I couldn't get the wvdial to work it kept saying no such device etc. Also when I tried to uninstall the driver it said it was not installed however when I installed it from home like you said it showed a warning that this is a use at your own risk driver which I allready knew on the linmodem page it is listed as a last resort . So now I know it is installed . Before when I used open with install package app. it just checked my system and when it came back it showed about 3/4ths of the bar graph and went off no confirmation at all . So I guess we will have to pick it up tomorrow and like Joy said you deserve a medal but if its possible when we get done that bottle of french wine will be on its wayP.S. I haven't had a good french wine since I left there in 1956

Wow... You guys have been busy... Hopefully I found something here.... If you are using a 2.4.20-8 kernel on an i586 arch, you are using the wrong driver according to Linuxant.It should be:hcfpcimodem-0.99lnxtbeta03042700k2.4.20_8-1rh.i586.rpmand nothcfpcimodem-099inxtbeta0304200k2.4.20_8-1rh.i586.rpmHopefully it's something silly like that. You'll have to uninstall that old rpm first. Ussually when you double click on an RPM, you won't get any confirmation on whether or not it went over smooth. Sometimes it seems to hang as well... But in fact it ussually installs good. Try that new driver.... Good luck.Jon

Wow... You guys have been busy... Hopefully I found something here.... If you are using a 2.4.20-8 kernel on an i586 arch, you are using the wrong driver according to Linuxant.It should be:hcfpcimodem-0.99lnxtbeta03042700k2.4.20_8-1rh.i586.rpmand nothcfpcimodem-099inxtbeta0304200k2.4.20_8-1rh.i586.rpmHopefully it's something silly like that. You'll have to uninstall that old rpm first. Ussually when you double click on an RPM, you won't get any confirmation on whether or not it went over smooth. Sometimes it seems to hang as well... But in fact it ussually installs good. Try that new driver.... Good luck.Jon
The driver is hcfpcimodem-099inxtbeta0304200k2.4.20_8-1rh.i586.rpmAnd I haven't queried uname -m  Only  uname Also when you say console am I correct in RH that it is the Terminal , That is the only place I saw to enter commands
Jon, I think that is a typo, can´t find any 4200 at Linuxant only the 42700, nor the 099 but the 0.99, I just kept copying the numbers over and over.I´ll go through the text and change it in the instructions.Thanks for the sharp eye you scanned the text with Jon !George, will you check the numbers of that rpm ? It is the 42700 ? And is there a dot between the first 0 and the 99 ?This can be the reason why the unistall gave an error message.About the wine; we´re not there yet George ! And the only place to drink wine here on the forum is in the WaterCooler, if we get this thing sorted, there is where the party will be, then you can bring the wine and the pretzels. :DB) Bruno

Yea... I thought of that too... But who types that stuff in? I was hoping he just highlighted the file name like he was going to rename it, and then copy/pasted it...... That's what I do on a long name. I couldn't find a 4200 modem driver either.... Oh well.... I'm fresh out of ideas at the moment.... Is he using Redhat 9? What is the arch dependent on? Your computer at all, or no? Mandrake is always i586, correct? Eh, I need to study up on that...I'm not too familiar with architecture..... I'm really suprised George is having so much trouble with a Conextant driver.... They install and run flawless for me on any distro I use..... Sigh...... Well, good luck guys. At this point, if I were you George, I'd try the i686.... I'm notorious for doing off the wall stuff when I get desperate like that (pretty wild and crazy stuff, I know). Sometimes you get lucky.... When I first used Redhat 8, the i386 driver was what I needed. It didn't work. Tried them one by one and finally the i686 file worked like a charm.... I'll check back tonite to see what the scoop is. It's getting light out and I have to retreat to my coffin now.....Jon

I tell you what I am going to do Jon . I am going to take your advice and try them all . Hopefully one of them will work . I also have access to a dfferent modem I don't know what it is as yet ( It is still in the machine ) so I probably won't be back in the forum for awhile .But I will post when I am done playing with it . the worst thing I can do is corrupt my install ,And if so then all I have to do is delete/reinstall , not a problem there . I've allready been there done that . B) I can reinstall windows faster than anyone can ;) .Even done it with RH I have two installs running now . Another little tidbit to throw in here is I also have SuSe 8.2 and the modem won't work with it either . I am beginning to think this modem is just not compatible with linux . It is an old version of conexant made by a third party so that may be the problem .

B) Do you have two modems in the one machine George?If so, that might be your problem. Just a thought, I'm having a lot of those this morning, unusual for a Monday!

I could not tell you how much I despise WinModems... Being of the old school (back in the days of BBS') All my machines have External Modems and setting them up is a WHOLE LOT easier than those Winmodems that so many people have... Heck I've had problems getting them to work under WINDOWS I'd hate to tell you of my attempts under Linux! :rolleyes:

George, I like your tenacious atitude ! Put your teeth into this and don´t let go . . . . . good man ! I can remember the day I needed 96 hours to get a modem to work . . . . . but it did in the end. ;)And I learned . . . . bought an other modem the month after . . . ;) ;) bruno

well all after playing with this thing for I don,t know how many days I found the problem but not the solution . I haven't been installing the drivers at all . I have been opening them with "install packages" and it appeared to me that they were installed since I got no error messages . However when I tried to install the driver with the terminal window I got the following messagevs dsa sign; nokey,key id 5dfbf7dcError unpacking of archive failed on file /etc/hcfpci: cpio: mkdir failed Permission deniedI then entered <mkdir hcfpcimodem> and that appeared to work just fine but I couldn,t get the driver into that directory .

However when I tried to install the driver with the terminal window I got the following message
George, what command did you give to install the driver ? And were you root at the time?;) Bruno

Hi On the discussion of HCF AND HSF I did try both drivers on my original install and neither one worked properly . However on the chip in the modem it says it is an HCF made by monopack for conexant . the other info on the chip itself ispt3517Conexant R6785-11monopack HCF And the computer info isVendor I.D. 14f1dev          1035sub Ven      144fSub dev      1010 rev-08Also on the modem board is the info Conexant HCF P85I am going to RH now to try again with Jong's advice I will post back shortlyAnd Bruno I did check out that link you gave me Thanks
Does your modem and chip look like these George?The Linuxant website seems to be he definitive source for drivers. George, can you disable any unused serial ports in your computer's BIOS? Maybe that may help.ModemChip

Ok Bruno I used the proper command but I wasn't in supervisor mode at the time,But after reading your tips I saw that and now I know the difference and am using the <su> plus my password that helped somewhat now I do have the driver installed but I keep getting an error message . I am beginning to think maybe this modem is no good . I believe I am going to do as Joy suggested IE remove one modem and configure the second one for Windows . Perhaps that is the problem , I don't know about in linux ,but in windows you can run several modems ( one at a time ,of course)another problem is that after reinstalling RH I now can't get back into windows , Lilo won't come up it just freezes in bios before the Lilo screen is supposed to come up . ( I am working on my slave HD which also has Windows installed on it ) I don't know how exactly but I am going to try to kill Lilo and just boot from floppies for the time being . That way I can still access the other partitions IE Win98 and WinXP on my primary drive .And Peachy . I am positive after much checking I do in fact have a hcf modem it is a second party chip made for conexant by monopack with the vendors id R6795-11 which identifies it as a HCF . I do however appreciate your thoughts and suggestions as well as everyone elses , so please keep them coming and perhaps we will lick this (" &*&R$%%&&*^*%%^%&&*&") machine after all :D :D :) :) :) :)

George,What a long list of troubles . . . . . we will take the radical approach, get that old modem out first. Second configure the new one in windows first so you can come back to the forum if you need to. Third RE-INSTALL RedHat again ( PnP off in the BIOS ), the hardware detection won´t be upset by the old modem this way. And see to it that Lilo gets installed in the MBR. Reboot and test the bootloader.After all that we will do the routine of configuring your modem again.:D Bruno