Conexant modem problems

georgeg4

Just an update I uninstalled the first modem and am using the conexant modem at present . I will wait to hear from you before I install the conexant in my clean RH9 install I am fairly sure I can do it by myself but since you all have been putting so much time and trouble in it I will wait.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bruno

• georgeg4

• Peachy

• greengeek

George, let´s do that tomorrow, I have to study your case again to get a clear picture. You still have those drivers have you ??Let me know when you´re on line tomorrow ( kind of early US time )B) Bruno

OK bruno I will wait till then to try it . By the way I disabled Lilo for now because I couldn't boot up into Windows . I don't know what I did to it but I have boot disks for both installs of RH so its no problem getting them to work . You have a good night and I will see you on the morrow .P.S. Yes I have the drivers on CD Bruno

George, I´ve got some homework for you, I´ll go to sleep and you can work ! B)- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - O.K. George you can start with this: copy the driver to your /home/george directoryThen open a terminal and type:< su >root-password< rpm -i hcfpcimodem-0.99inxtbeta03042700k2.4.20_8-1rh.i586.rpm >then:< hcfpciconfig --country >And see if you can set the county to USAWe will NOT use the normal network configuration tool !< su > ( root-password )< rm -f /dev/modem > ( this is translated: RM space -F space /dev/modem )< ln -s ttySHCF0 /dev/modem > ( this is translated LN space -S space ttySHCFzero space /dev/modem )- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - If that all went successful report back to me. ( And I´ll se your report tomorrow )B) Bruno

Okay,I managed to get a hold of an AOpen FM56-PX controllerless modem to see if I could help and also to understand linmodems since this is obviously a major challenge. So, test machine is a AMD K6-2 500MHz processor in a VIA MVP3 chipset motherboard, 128MB PC133 SDRAM, 6.4GB Seagate UDMA/33 drive, Plextor 4x SCSI CD-ROM, and an ATI Mach 64 video card. Existing installation of Red Hat 8.0 (kernel 2.4.18-14). This hard disk and Linux configuration originally had a Matrox G400MAX video card, Sound Blaster Live! Value, D-Link DFE-530TX+ NIC, and an IDE CD-ROM. On first rebooting with the new peripherals, Kudzu (Red Hat's hardware detect application) removed all the old cards and then loaded the drivers for the new ones. Easy! It even reconfigured XF86Config to use the ATI card. Copied the rpm file from a floppy after downloading from Linuxant. Typed as root:rpm -ivh hcfpcimodem-0.99inxtbeta03042700k2.4.18_14-1rh.i586.rpmsince that was the version specific to my kernel. The installer automatically ran hcfpciconfig. Told me that it assigned the modem to the block device /dev/ttySHCF0 and automatically created a symbolic link to /dev/modem. This can take up to five minutes to configure. Not sure if it's CPU speed-dependent but it was tempting to issue a Ctrl-c to kill it. Eventually it did finish even telling me it configured the Country as CANADA based on my timezone setting it read from my config files, I guess.Ran /sbin/lsmod to see if the modules were loaded. Nope. What to do next. Decided to startx and see if I could add the modem interface. Ran the Network Device configuration tool and added a modem, set it to use /dev/ttySHCF0 and then entered my ISP telephone number, username and password. Then I activated the modem. Heard some sounds coming from the modem, like checking for dialtone, etc. After about 2 minutes, the modem was activated. Ran /sbin/lsmod again and noticed the hcfpciengine, and two other modules were loaded. Good. Then the misadventure. Okay, now what? How do I dialup? The answer will surprise you. I remembered that KDE came with kppp, a GUI app that talked to the pppd daemon. Okay, go to package selection and install KDE and include kppp. Done. Ran kppp, created an ISP account. Tried dialing. Said the modem was in use. Huh? Killed it. Ran it again. Said it couldn't find a modem. Okay. Not good. Go to a console and reran hcfpciconfig manually. Asked if I wanted the driver to load on boot or user initiated. Chose load on boot. Couldn't hurt, right?Reboot the computer, noticed that it said bringing up ppp0 interface. Then displays a message about the hcfpcimodem being a tainted driver with respect to GNU/GPL, go see this website to fully appreciate why this was a morally bad thing (and not a software functionality issue). Said it was loading the module, etc.Login. Ran /sbin/lsmod and the modules were loaded. Good. startx. Checked network config and noticed the modem was activated. Good. Ran kppp. Modem in use. Huh? Kill it. Activated modem again. Checked the DNS setting for some reason. Noticed that an IP address was attached to the modem interface. How'd that get there? Didn't recognize it at first. Then realized that it was my ISPs domain. So, I was connected?Okay, from a console type init 6 and reboot. Noticed that when the ppp0 interface was brought up, I could hear the modem clicking. At first I thought it was just loading the modules and doing a diagnostic. Well, you remember I told it to load at boot? Lightbulb! It was dialing my ISP using the information I gave it when I created the modem in network config. Login in. ping my ISP. Migod an echo reply!!!! startx. Open Mozilla. Load a web page. There by the grace of god I'm on the internet!!!!Debriefing. Okay, installing the rpm should pose no problem. To get the modem to dial out, you must add a modem interface in the network configuration tool. You need to supply it with your ISP account info. In order to dial out, you need to activate the modem. It really helps to set the modem volume to high to get the full effect of the activation. Okay, George, do you follow me? You don't need to have kppp installed. If you do, make sure the modem is not activated. It will activate the modem for you.Now I all need to do is rerun hcfpciconfig and change it so it doesn't automatically dial my ISP when I start the computer. B)

OK thanks Bruno and Peachy .I am going to shut down noe and try what you have both suggested . I printed out the two posts so I can refer to them if need beBe back soon to update.P.S. just a FYI I reinstalled yesterday as a workstation and when it was booting it detected my modem ,printer,sound card ETC . But when it got to the login screen I didn't have a username or password to login with so I erased that and reinstalled (NEW ) the desktop edition . When booting up in the desktop mode it only detected my sound card . Which I chose to do nothing for the time being since I don't want any conflicts .

OK thanks Bruno and Peachy .I am going to shut down noe and try what you have both suggested . I printed out the two posts so I can refer to them if need beBe back soon to update.P.S. just a FYI I reinstalled yesterday as a workstation and when it was booting it detected my modem ,printer,sound card ETC . But when it got to the login screen I didn't have a username or password to login with so I erased that and reinstalled (NEW ) the desktop edition . When booting up in the desktop mode it only detected my sound card . Which I chose to do nothing for the time being since I don't want any conflicts .
Good luck. See you back soon with good news, I hope. Red Hat 9's install doesn't let you add a user at that point. Don't know why. You can add a user later using the Add User/Group tool.

Yea, Peach.... It should be that easy...... Really you shouldn't have to run hcfpciconfig at all. Once you even just double click on the RPM it will assign a device for you. The hard part is, if your not able to run hcfpciconfig or hsfconfig, in my case, you have no idea what your modem is called, especially if no symlink goes thru(can't use the default /dev/modem). If your lucky tho, it will also create a symlink to /dev/modem. Never does for me..... Doesn't matter. PPP0 will let you manually enter your device. In your case George, we already know from Peachy and my expierences with an HSF driver that it will be called ttyshcf0.... So we don't necessarilly need /dev/modem....I had a **** of a time on Mandrake manually entering the device(kppp). All it would give me is a drop down menu and not let me type in the bar (/dev/modem was there but I had no auto symlink) On further reflection, I knew the device name. Don't know why I didn't create a symlink.......Took me about 15 minutes to figure out how to manually enter /dev/ttyshsf0 in kppp.... Once you "activate" in Network, it's online..... Yes, make sure you bump the volume all the way up in Network... You can use either ppp0 or kppp. I prefer native RH apps.... I don't even bother installing KDE or any of it's apps.... If you just run hcfpciconfig, it will ask you what country are you in and you'll see all the work it's doing flyby in the terminal window. If USA isn't a choice then you will have to do as Bruno suggests with the extra --country at the end. By default also, your modem isn't activated on boot up. My ethernet was in Mandrake, but that's cause I didn't uncheck it on the install. Control Center took care of that.... I'm really curious.... Let us know....Jon

Okay, some clarifications of how ppp works in Red Hat. I can prevent the ppp0 interface from coming up at boot time by setting the network service to 'stop' in the appropriate runlevel. To start it, merely activate the interface from the network configuration tool. To stop it, deactivate it, or run hcfpcistop at the console. If you type ipconfig at the console you can verify if the ppp0 is up and see what IP address it has.

Thank You bruno and thanks to Peachy jong and all the others who helped meFYI it was peachy's instructions after yours to install the drivers that helped . What I have been doing wrong was not waiting long enough after installing the drivers in terminal . I was closing the terminal because I thought it was finished . It took about seven or eight minutes to configure itself . and after that it went just as peachy said it would .