• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• teacher

• Bruno

• linuxdude32

• havnblast

. . . and Rubyx ?? . . . LOL you sure are in an adventurous mood there Julia . . . . fist Frugalware and now Rubyx . . . . keep us posted . . . I like to read big stories af the wide unknown . . . ;):worthy: Bruno

If you don't hear from me soon you will know I ran into a disaster. I just got home to find the CD burned and ready to go. So I have four CDs laying here: Suse 9.2 FTP, Buffalo 1.6 and RubyX. Hubby just left to go run in Virginia and won't be back until late tomorrow night so I have three computers to play with and nobody to interrupt my fun! :thumbsup:

Scratch RubyX off the list. It is a bit like installing Gentoo. The directions are a little strange. http://www.rubyx.org/rubyx-manual.htmlIt is one of those you can not install without a manual. It also uses different terminology a bit so it can be confusing. It listed that I had hda, b, c, and d as CD/DVD drives rather than as CD/DVD/HD. Thus my first attempt I selected hdc for the install source. Wrong answer. the correct answer to locate my CD was hda! When I got to the point where it was installed but I had nothing and had to follow the manual I called it quits. I was not that interested in Rubyx. :thumbsup: Buffallo is on its way to installing. I have made a few mistakes along the way and will probably start over. I hope I have not written over my MBR. I am afraid I have. When you are guessing at options sometimes and you suddenly find out it is too late. Ooops. Another oops was I went with the option it had to "install everything" rather than selecting item by item. I watched it install aspell files for every language imaginable. I will have to see what I have when I am done and whether I am going to start over again. :)

ok now i am losing track of which ones you are installing either way had no idea what they were had to go look em up :w00t:update i looked at buffalo screenshots and thought i was seeing things and then noticed

BuffaloLinux is based on a Slackware derived distribution called VectorLinux. Buffalo enhancements include pre-installed MS Windows Office or Lotus using CodeWeavers Office, and pre-installed database access using IBM DB2 Connect or Oracle.
hmmm well that different....... well i better leave it that :thumbsup: :) :thumbsup: :o Edited by steel

Hmmm. I did not install CodeWeavers Office or MS windows Office. I have successfully returned to my old lilo. I had to add my Gentoo to hte Buffalo lilo and then boot into Buffalo and run /sbin/lilo.The end story is that I now have Buffalo added to my list. I have always liked Vector and this is a fairly predictable derivative. I wlil have to explore some more after I add Buffalo to my Gentoo Lilo.The install is very similar to Slack. :thumbsup:

Hmmm.  I did not install CodeWeavers Office or MS windows Office. 
i am sorry Teach i guess i was just :angry: that they would do that to slack :thumbsup: i guess i dont understand the logic there, get the oldest and purest distro out there and hmmm lets throw on some $nicro stuff..... i can understand on a debian based but a slack based distro ??? .. i also have crossover office somewhere on cd, i just never bothered instaling it never needed it or wanted to ..i guess i would be flipping if i installing liinux and microsoft office started up >_< closest i ever came to that was running corel wordperfect which wasnt bad although with todays word processors on linux dont know why any distro would throw on micro stuff .. anyway let us know hiow everyhing went ..

Hmmm... Something's not right with the notice about Buffalo Linux. Surely they can't be including a copy of MS Office - that'd be illegal, Microsoft would be suing them in a heartbeat. They must just mean a trial of CrossOver Office (which is only a way of running Windows stuff inside Linux. Even then it'd be most likely just a trial version. Possibly the same thing with Oracle and DB2; I don't believe they're free (as in beer or speech).Btw, I installed Vector Linux 4.3 last night. Wow does it start up fast! Installation was a bit funky and the X configuration didn't work. But I took my own past advice and just copied over the XF86Config file from SUSE (has to rename it XF86Config-4) and then typed 'startx' and X started no problem. Set users to using XFCE for now. I think I have a problem with sound too, but I haven't played with it much yet. It actually comes with Abiword, Mozilla, Sylpheed for email. Can't find Firefox with default package manager (vcpkg) or swaret but did see reference to Firebird (0.8) so I might just install that. Install only took about Did some updates too. Install only takes about 899 MB with the default and the extra updates I fetched!

I thougth that was strange too Jason. I did not see any reference to MS Office when I installed. I am sure it was a botched edit job indicating that you could run MSOffice using Crossover (as with all applications). The crossover was there available but you had to provide the registration number to proceed. Just another marketing ploy for them. By the way your copy over the config file was disasterous for me when I tried that. Different update versions have switched between terminology and I should have known that. Some use "kbd" and others use "keyboard". You can't mix and match. It has to be what they are looking for. I ended up reinstalling my config file and rebuilding it to get it working on whichever one I had problems. Buffalo is basically a Vector build. So far it looks good. I am too lazy to go in and play yet but will probably do so this afternoon. :)

By the way your copy over the config file was disasterous for me when I tried that.  Different update versions have switched between terminology and I should have known that.  Some use "kbd" and others use "keyboard".  You can't mix and match.  It has to be what they are looking for.  I ended up reinstalling my config file and rebuilding it to get it working on whichever one I had problems.
Ugh! :) Sorry to hear that. I guess maybe I should say they have to be close to being the same versions of XFree/X.org. I've done it a few times but I think it was always within the XFree86 4.x camp. And I've only done it from SUSE to other distributions, not the other way. I'd only recommend doing if X didn't work after using the distribution's X configuration tool or xf86config and even then it's a good idea to keep a backup of the the original X config file.Btw, I happened to notice something with the Vector Linux install. Initrd isn't called initrd, it's called 'config' in this distro. I used it in place of initrd to boot from grub. Maybe that's the same with Gentoo? And might explain why you couldn't make a rescue CD from it earlier?

Things I like about Buffalo*Digital Blasphemy Wallpapers*Automatic Update*Easy Toggle on/off for updates and login*Fast Loading*Ability to handle different file formats for downloading programs*Very different menu layout - that makes sense.*Designed for very easy desktop configuration changes*Includes Evolution in Package*Default is Icewm but very nicely configuredThings I don't like about Buffalo*Must remove Crossover link*Comes with Opera unless you don't install it.*Too many icons on the desktop initiallyI think you will have fun with this one if you go for it. It is a Slack/Vector clone but welldone. The links are:

ftp://mirror.switch.ch/mirror/buffaloftp://ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/buffalohttp://planetmirror.com/pub/buffalo/

( please copy and paste the links in your browser )My first time to pull Buffalo up it popped up with a notice that Buffalo 1.6.1 was available as a patch rather than the 1.6 I installed. It asked permission and then downloaded it and installed it and gave me a summary of the changes.

This page sure seems to have a lot of hits. I wanted to add that it included:*Abiword*Open Office"Evolution*Mozilla*Dilla*Gaim*GftpIt does not seem to include Gimp automatically but it is a breeze to install new packages,

*Default is Icewm but very nicely configured
Actually I really like IceWM !! . . . It is easy for new Linux users, and feather light on old systems . . . :D :DB) Bruno

The only thing I can not figure out at this point is that you can not kill an application in the normal way. When I press Control Escape it opens up the menu rather than the Process Table.I had company show up and they all commented about how nice the desktop looked. :D

Topic retitled due to number of views. That is a total of about 4,000 this afternoon between this thread and the previous thread. We are trying to stop a bot or whatever it is that seems to like this thread. :D

4056 at this time.It is a shame this is getting hit like this. It really is a nice distro. Quint, Barry, some of you that like to explore new distros will really like this one.

:D I am going into shock. Quick, call the paramedics.......I was going down my list of distros and running updates. I had yet to remove Mandrake 10.1 from my boot menu despite it's death over a week ago.To my amazement, the announcement of its death was premature. :D It has risen from the ashes and come back to life.I was totally shocked to see it boot (a couple of errors along the way however). Not only did it boot, but it is allowing me to run 315 or so MB of updates. That should cure any missing dependencies while it is there. :D B) I guess this just goes to show that sometimes it is best to leave a distro alone for a while when it does not want to cooperate. Then it can come out of its self-imposed timeout when it is ready to come back and play nice once again. :P :w00t: :D

Mandrake 10.1 - Trash
LOL . . . so you entertained us 77 posts with a hoax :D :D :D . . . . . . Glad the Drake did rise out of its ashes :DB) Bruno

Well I am glad I entertained you for 77 posts. That is something.Look at it this way, I did install Buffalo and find I rather like it. I followed your advice as far as not removing it.Not following your advice to reinstall worked in the long run. :ducking for cover: It was fun exploring. :D :D

LOL . . . well, it is a real art to make the difference between the advice that you should take serious and the advice that should not be ignored :PB) Bruno It looks like you not only entertained me but also 4911 others :D great catch Julia ! :D :D

I am happy to have 10.1 back. I only had 322 MB of updates. We will have to see what they did to the error messages. (lib.so) If I am lucky those went away as well. I guess that was why I did not get around to taking it out of my Lilo either. Now I can not add any more distros unless I change boot distros or delete one since Gentoo's two column Lilo only has room for 8 distros. :)4922 but who is counting? Buffalo and let's not forget the other 2000+ in that other thread. B)

Only place for 8 distro's in Gentoo's lilo ?? . . . Does it not have a graphic lilo ? Just a text one ? Only 8 distros . . . proves again that the Drake lilo is much better ;)B) Bruno

It has all I need. I mean really, if you are running Gentoo do you need all those other distros? Nope. Not a chance. They are only for play. B) :DSo the Lilo has a screen that is without a wallpaper behind it. Do you really need a wallpaper here? How long do you spend looking at your Lilo?