Opinions Please

teacher

Good thing I moved my Lilo to Gentoo. IT appears that my Mandrake is corrupt. I will need to do something with that partition. Here's the current scenario:Mandrake 10.1 - TrashMandrake Cooker - Working GreatPCLos - Fine Tuned and looking goodSlack - It's there but needs some workSuSE - Up to date and working fineGentoo - My primary distro - fine tuned.Recent trial runs:Ubuntu - ok but ho hum to me.Vector - It's a good program but th enewer versions don't like my computer.Mepis - Ran this one a time or two.I have at least one of the above sitting on a partition.I still have 30GB at the end of my hard drive so I am not in any danger of running out of room. I had 20GB set aside for Mandrake 10.1. I had 10 for / and 10 for /home. That is my standard for a distro I use a lot.I plan to give a go at LFS when I have time but not yet. I need some quiet weekends to work on that one.I do not like Fedora or any of the Fedora based. Any suggestions on something I should really try or should I just reinstall/repair/update 10.1? One possility is to try out smething debian. I think I want to run Gnome as the desktop manager of what I install simply because I like Gnome and I run KDE on most of my distros.Ok.. Here is your chance to tell me what you have found recently and really like. I am open to suggestions but will make my decision by this weekend.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• teacher

• Bruno

• linuxdude32

• havnblast

Gnoppix is debian based and is gnome desktop. Last time I ran it the gnome desktop was really sweet. It's a live cd too, so one can peek without installing.Xandros is nice and based on debian too, should be able to do the gnome desktop on it.Mepis seems to be the rage on the forum lately.Not a Fedora fan either so I hear ya on that.

Edited by havnblast

JuliaMepis just released their Pro Mepis Beta Bld 4 with the 2.6.10 Kernel. You might want to try it out B) for me it very fast and stable and I've aready added about 800 packages from debian w/no issues. (actually replaced a SuSE install with it)and you can use Gnome if you desire..other than that I have to agree with Kelly on GnoppixOr just reload Mandrake 10.1 (though I've gotten to where I like PCLinuxOS better)Then again, Maybe it's time for the LFS run?(I still haven't got to the gentoo stage myself...maybe one day)Running into the same issue with newer distros on older computers so I keep and small mountain of older distro on hand.

Xandros is nice and based on debian too, should be able to do the gnome desktop on it.
Not a fan of Xandros. B) 10.1 is really not on my favorite list right now. I witched my laptop to it and lost my USB wifi connection. It worked great in 10.0. I have run Mepis in the past without any great love for it. I have some old live CDs laying around. I tend to prefer to run live distros live and install distros installed. My one exception to this rule is PCLos. Anything else that was designed first as a live and an installed version second [b/] just does not seem right to me. That's just my quirk. ;) I am leaning strongly to replacing it. I plan to use some of my 30 for LFS instead of these partitions. Gnoppix is a possibility. I have never been a fan of Knoppix. I just have not cared for it and I believe this one is a knock-off. Then again, that is just my personal thoughts. :P Still thinking . . . . :D

JuliaIf you wanna give a spin to Kanotix, It is very much Knoppix based, but according to DistroWatch it is better Knoppix then Knoppix. Almost as good hardware detection as pclos (it doesn't have Nvidia hw. acceleration out of box, but has the scripts to set it up almost painless) If you try it don't miss Klick one of the most exciting stuff I have seen in a long time. :P B)

You should try one of the Morphix CDs, Julia. It's a Live CD but you can install it and works just as fine after it was installed as it was Live except faster. I've tried the LightGUI version and recommend it highly especially if you've never used XFCE as a window manager - it's very nice and quite a bit faster than KDE. Morphix differs from other distros in that it uses the concept of modules. It's a build-your-own distro but unlike Gentoo or LFS, you start with a lot and just add and customize, customize, customize... I'm just starting with it but find it very interesting:http://www.morphix.org/modules/news/Morphix site was really slow when I tried to access it just now so you might try again later if you have problems.

Those are fun. I keep some in my classroom and let the students run them. I have not run an updated version in a while. Still, that is basically a live CD. The XFCE window manager was not my favorite. I like pretty screens.

Julia, Gnoppix is basically just Ubuntu. They are merging into one distro, I believe. Kanotix is pretty cool. Up to speed and I agree that Klix is nice. I am a huge fan of Mepis, but I have been having some pretty major issue with this last beta so I can't recommend that right now. The SimplyMEPIS version runs great however and I have installed Gnome with no problems.Just my .02

Those are fun.  I keep some in my classroom and let the students run them.  I have not run an updated version in a while.  Still, that is basically a live CD.  The XFCE window manager was not my favorite.  I like pretty screens.
It IS pretty, at least the way they've configured. Sexier than a default KDE setup, in my opinion. I'm not sure what you mean by it basically being a Live CD. It has a better installer than Mepis and is highly configurable after it's installed. It's Debian too, so you can load up whatever you want under it. They also have versions with KDE and Gnome if you prefer those. But the LightGUI is very fast.

Slack - It's there but needs some work
What I would do is what my late mother always said: Finish what you started <_< :PAnd about the trashed one . . . I would just replace it with a fresh install :P :ZB) Bruno

Hmmmm. I would have to go in and edit my Xorg files. If I remember right (I have not booted it in a month or two) it did not like it when I switched my mouse over to USB instead of running it through a converter. I will have to go look at it. Looking at my list at those that have come and gone recently are Vector and Iguana as well. Vector did not like my hardware and Iguana just did not impress me. I will go take a look at slack for a minute.

Now I remember what it was - no X. Little details. Just spent some time trying to trouble shoot my xorg.conf. Had to switch back over to Gentoo to check the settings there. Guess I will go back and see if I can fix it.In Gentoo I have:

Load "glx"Section "Screen"    Identifier  "Screen 1"    Device      "Radeon"    Monitor     "Microtek"    DefaultDepth 16Section "Device"    Identifier  "Radeon"    Driver      "radeon"    #VideoRam    512    # Insert Clocks lines here if appropriateEndSection

My Slack just had "Vesa", Screen 1, etc. Guess I will see if I can make it work in Slack. <_<

No joy. It keeps saying illegal section or something and then refers to the line: Section "Screen"I know that is right. It works in my other distros. <_<

Hi JuliaWhat if you simply run "xorgconfig" ( The XFdrake fo Slack ) to reconfigure your X ?? . . . Beats editing the file by hand anytime <_< :P Bruno

Do things an easy way? Me? Did you forget who you were talking to? I am so used to editing by hand with Gentoo that I did not even think of trying that. It will have to wait until I finish downloading distros unless I change my mind. <_<

Look at their homepage:  http://frugalware.org/  . . . . . . . nothing there, would that be a sign of something ?? ;)<_< Burno
Is your browser not working??? I see a page there with a half dozen links as well. I looked through all of that first.

Sorry . . tried 3 browsers . . . . .nothing to see . . . . <_<

www.frugalware.org could not be found. Please check the name and try again.
:P Bruno

Hi JuliaWhy not try Libranet. The previous version is available for free download now that the new one is out or maybe it is 2 versions ago. anyway it is a good Debian Based Distro and has an excellent update manager as well as configuration manager. even the older versions were first class IMHO.Mel :)

That's a good idea but I don't want to try an older distro. With newer hardware that is not necessarily a good idea. I prefer to try out my distros and then if I like them I support the distro - not the other way around. I know you have been a fan of Libranet but if I am going to install new distro, I want it to be something new. I have been cruising Distrowatch today and the directory on nluug looking to see what is out there. I am on my last disk of Frugalware. I think I will try that. Now I just have to figure out why I can't make a boot CD. I am not installing another distro until I have that one figured out.

bash-2.05b# mkrescue --iso --kernel kernel-2.6.7-gentoo-r112880+0 records in2880+0 records outMaking filesystemmke2fs 1.35 (28-Feb-2004)/tmp/mkrescue-emu is not a block special device.Proceed anyway? (y,n) Filesystem label=OS type: LinuxBlock size=1024 (log=0)Fragment size=1024 (log=0)24 inodes, 2880 blocks144 blocks (5.00%) reserved for the super userFirst data block=11 block group8192 blocks per group, 8192 fragments per group24 inodes per groupWriting inode tables: doneWriting superblocks and filesystem accounting information: doneThis filesystem will be automatically checked every 22 mounts or180 days, whichever comes first.  Use tune2fs -c or -i to override.Mounting filesystemmount: could not find any device /dev/loop#Copying files...`kernel-2.6.7-gentoo-r11' -> `/tmp/mkrescue-flp/linux'done.Running /sbin/lilo ...Ignoring entry 'boot'Fatal:  '/dev/' is not a whole disk deviceLILO version 22.6.1 failure.umount: /tmp/mkrescue-flp: not mounted

Distrowatch:

A new beta release of the Gnoppix live CD, a distribution that will form a basis for the upcoming Ubuntu Linux 5.04 ("Hoary") live CD. From the release announcement: "Gnoppix Developer version 0.9.2b5 Hoary is out. The Gnoppix project proudly presents the first beta of version 0.9.2 of the Gnoppix Linux Live CD. 0.9.2 comes for PowerPC, AMD64 and Intel i386 platforms. The version comes with the lastest GNOME software - GNOME 2.9.2 and X.Org."

Hmmmm.  I would have to go in and edit my Xorg files.
Just copy over your xf86config file from another distro. Same hardware and X.org isn't so different from XFree86 that it should work most of the time.