Adopt a Dial Up User

teacher

Dial-up Linux users have a hard time keeping up with the new versions of their distros. The Broadband users are in a privileged position. So . . . here is the plan: If every Broadband user would adopt ONE dial-up user ( preferably running the same distro ), it would be so easy to burn an extra copy of the new ISO's of their favorite distro and send them by snail-mail. These are only versions downloaded on the Internet , not purchased versions of your favorite software. ;)In most cases that would mean once every six months heading to the post office and sending the new CD´s . . thats all . . . ( I know some of us have already adopted someone, that is how this idea came about. ) We could use this thread to post who is in favor of this idea, who wants to adopt, and who wants to be adopted . . . . As soon as the contact between adopter and adopted is made ( by PM ? ), delete the post, or edit the original post, so we can see who is still waiting to be adopted and who has not adopted someone yet. Keep your posts short so the message is clear: ¨I´m on dial-up. I use Mandrake and would like to be adopted.†or ¨I´m on broadband. I want to adopt a Mandrake-user.†Sure you are free to adopt more then ONE dial-up user but I think there are enough broadband users to spread the effort. Please let either Teacher (Julia) or Bruno know if you have been adopted or if you are adopting someone by PM so we can see who is still looking for a contact. Do not post snail or email addresses here in the forum. We want to protect your privacy. Please use the PM option to communicate this information to each other. Do not give your information to anyone with whom you are not comfortable sharing personal information. It would not be cost effective to provide an intermediary so please only participate when there is someone you are willing to share your addresses. :)Absolutely not sure this adoption-plan will work, but we think it is worth to try. Adoption in our concept means that no $ should be exchanged, only CDs !!JuliaYYY.gif pingquinX.gif - - - Julia & Bruno - - -

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• teacher

• Bruno

• Stryder

• linuxdude32

If every Broadband user would adopt ONE dial-up user ( preferably running the same distro ), it would be so easy to burn an extra copy of the new ISO's of their favorite distro and send them by snail-mail.
Good Idea. Of course that assumes that the adopter will actually be downloading new distros. ;) Suggest that this be restricted to stable releases. Too much churn otherwise.adoptionX.gif

That was our thoughts. I guess it got lost in all the editing. We are only talking about final releases, not betas, not RCs.Does that mean we can count on you ??JuliaYYY.gif pingquinX.gif - - - Julia & Bruno - - -

Good idea, Julia!I use SuSE 8.2 but the ISOs aren't downloadable. However, I can adopt a person who wants some other distro. Oh yeah, I'm on broadband :P :D Adopted Someone! adoptionX.gif

I think it is great idea and want to contribute :)I have broadband and would be happy to burn Mandrake ISO's and send them to less fortunate Dial-up user :P.PM me so we can arrange delivery, and it is good timing since Mandrake is just about to be released in a month or so.

I'm on Broadband, running Mandrake and I'd happily adopt someone on dial-up. Preferably someone in the UK as that's where I live.Also, I tend to keep up-to-date with some of the bootable distros like Knoppix so they could be useful for someone too.Chris :P

Outstanding!We knew you would all be so willing to help. Thanks for reminding us of your location Chr1s. We did talk about that in deciding what to do as we want to keep this as low cost as possible. We will try to keep it so postage is at a minimum. Dial up folks. It is your turn to let us know how we can help you!JuliaYYY.gif pingquinX.gif - - - Julia & Bruno - - -

I am in Indiana. So anyone in the US, I will be more than happy to assist. Even if you purchase a 7 CD distro, I will be more than happy to download, burn and send it to you. All for the low, low, price of.......a "thanks dude".But I am still looking for someone on a T-3 or faster to adopt this unfortunate cable user. Please.....someone???

Guest LilBambi

As a dialup user who has already been adopted ... I think this is a wonderful idea!It is terrific to see so many stepping up to help us poor dialup users out!You all are great!Thanks Julia and Bruno for such a great idea! :PAdopted!adoptionX.gif

Edited by LilBambi

I would be glad to participate, sounds like a great idea.I have DSL, and will be burning Mandrake 9.2 when it comes out. Glad to share with someone in the USA.Great idea Bruno, Julia. I look at a handfull of Linux forums, but none seem to even come close to the spirit of gracious helpfulness and community that we enjoy here. B)P.S. Postage isn't that big of a deal, I'll adopt a needy person anywhere :PadoptionX.gif

Edited by Bruno

I was thinking of this last night when mhbell said he paid for an RC1. I would have done it for free; except for the priority shipping. :lol: I have Cox Cable and connect at 3.2Mbs; downloads usually run at 110 to 125 KB/s.(?Is that slow?) I don't mind helping someone out. I have plenty of HD space to do trial installs to make sure the burn is good (not just verify write) and plenty of time. :blink: :lol: :lol: mike180I live in Fort Smith, Arkansas Adopted Someone! adoptionX.gif

downloads usually run at 110 to 125 KB/s.(?Is that slow?)
Well. I get about 170KB/sec on my sympatico.ca DSL. In theory DSL is slower but more stable than cable. Your neighbourhood may have a lot of heavy users.They recently raised the speed by about 50% and removed the bandwidth limits. Good deal at $40 Cdn/mo on contract.My son uses the ULTRA version of their service. Another 100% increase.Of course, even with that you can go to sites that might only give you 3KB.

Great enthusiasm folks. Our idea was to keep everything free. :blink: You can mail blank disks back if you are a receiver. Priority shipping is not necessary unless you want to do that. Teacher mailed a couple of disks last week for about a $1.One thing we need to keep in mind though. This is for downloaded, freely available on the Internet versions only. We can't recommend or condone sharing purchased, shrink-wrapped versions. JuliaYYY.gif pingquinX.gif - - - Julia & Bruno - - -

Good Idea.I have a pretty good Cable connection. Depends on the site as to what the speed is. I run the Drake right now.Given a good source for the download I would be ahppy to burn a few copies and snail them to someone with dialup. The CD trade is a good idea too since I will soon run out of CDR's. It's too bad we can put them together on a bootable DVD.PM me with request's and or sources for the ISO's when new version come available.Chris (Michigan)adoptionX.gif

Thought that might confuse you a bit. :blink: Actually, this is a joint project. We wanted to make it clear that this was a teamwork effort! Isn't that what this is all about? Working together as a team? Just because there is an ocean between us does not mean we can't work as a team to present our ideas to the fine folks in the All Things Linux forum. Notice that this posting together thing is only in this thread and not the rest of the All Things Linux!JuliaYYY.gif pingquinX.gif - - - Julia & Bruno - - -

Does a certificate come with the adoption? Kinda like the ones that came with the Cabbage Patch dolls?
Well......does it???
You can create any kind of certificate of adoption you would like and send it out with your CDs! Or the Adopted person can send you a certificate. I am staying out of that one! :blink:

Great idea, I have satellite Internet which works pretty good most of the time. I also have full free access to a fast cable connection all day long whenever I need it just a few minutes away.I use Mandrake 9.1 and will update to 9.2 when it's released. I plan to keep up with Mepis and a lot of the live CDs, too.adoptionX.gifKen

Does a certificate come with the adoption? Kinda like the ones that came with the Cabbage Patch dolls?
Well......does it???
You can create any kind of certificate of adoption you would like and send it out with your CDs! Or the Adopted person can send you a certificate. I am staying out of that one! :blink:
LOL....chicken. :lol: