86 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jeffw_00

jeffw_00

Topic Cop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 08:43 PM

Hi - Sorry to bother you all with another problem, but this one is disturbing, and i couldn't find a solution (only others with the same problem) on the web....on one win98se machine,  booting into command line mode (not command line safe mode), scanreg /fix hangs at 2-3% done.  any ideas?thanks/j

#2 OFFLINE   James M. Fisher

James M. Fisher

Minimally Valuable Poser

• Forum MVP
  • 2,723 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 09:58 PM

jeffw_00, on Jun 1 2004, 08:45 PM, said:

Hi - Sorry to bother you all with another problem, but this one is disturbing, and i couldn't find a solution (only others with the same problem) on the web....on one win98se machine,  booting into command line mode (not command line safe mode), scanreg /fix hangs at 2-3% done.  any ideas?thanks/j
This is a tough one! (and you're not a bother, either!) <_< I did find this page which collects together all the SCANREG KB articles. Maybe they will be of some help. http://www.generatio...euf/scanreg.htmWhat kind of problem(s) are you trying to fix?
James M. Fisher

#3 OFFLINE   jeffw_00

jeffw_00

Topic Cop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 10:04 PM

didn't see anything on that page that was on point - did i miss something?no problem to fix per-se - just that running scanreg /fix /opt on my PCs has, over the years, solved a multitude of problems.  It disturbs me that on my most important (and most diffiicult to rebuild) machine, this remedy is no longer available to me.  if possible I'd like to get it working -before- I need it 8-}thanks anyhoo/j

#4 OFFLINE   James M. Fisher

James M. Fisher

Minimally Valuable Poser

• Forum MVP
  • 2,723 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 11:09 PM

jeffw_00, on Jun 1 2004, 10:06 PM, said:

didn't see anything on that page that was on point - did i miss something?no problem to fix per-se - just that running scanreg /fix /opt on my PCs has, over the years, solved a multitude of problems.  It disturbs me that on my most important (and most diffiicult to rebuild) machine, this remedy is no longer available to me.  if possible I'd like to get it working -before- I need it 8-}thanks anyhoo/j
Well, I did say "maybe" they would be of some help! <_< I have never used SCANREG that I can recall (hard to believe, I know), so I thought looking through that collection may give you a clue as to what might be wrong.Have you defragged yet? It wouldn't hurt to run scandisk from DOS a time or 2 as well.
James M. Fisher

#5 OFFLINE   Ed_P

Ed_P

Discussion Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,096 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 11:14 PM

Have you tried scanregw under Windows?
Ed

#6 OFFLINE   b2cm

b2cm

Posting Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 02 June 2004 - 02:08 AM

Do a scanreg /restore instead.

#7 OFFLINE   jeffw_00

jeffw_00

Topic Cop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 02 June 2004 - 11:21 AM

i tried restoring an older registry and then doing a scanreg/fix on that - no help. - whatever messed up my registry happened long ago

#8 OFFLINE   Ed_P

Ed_P

Discussion Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,096 posts

Posted 02 June 2004 - 11:58 AM

ScanregW doesn't work either!!
Ed

#9 OFFLINE   James M. Fisher

James M. Fisher

Minimally Valuable Poser

• Forum MVP
  • 2,723 posts

Posted 02 June 2004 - 12:33 PM

I wonder if using a registry cleaner might help this problem?You can try EasyCleaner, but be sure to examine what it finds and backup before deleting the entries.
James M. Fisher

#10 OFFLINE   jeffw_00

jeffw_00

Topic Cop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 05 June 2004 - 10:01 PM

easycleaner is a slick took (though Startman does a more thorough job with startups).  It found 331 unneeded registry entries.  too many to go through by hand.  too many to delete and hope that I discover any needed ones before my backup registries age away.  I tried a scanreg /opt.  it worked - and now scanreg/fix still hangs on the rebuilt of system.dat, but at 0%.what about exporting the registry, deleting it, and re-importing it - is there something along these lines that would work without risking total meltdown?Any other ideas?  I can't imagine what would cause scanregw to stop dead - though in searching the web I have found others with the same question (though no answers)Is there some "Microsoft guru' newsgroup that a mortal could post to?thanks!/j

#11 OFFLINE   James M. Fisher

James M. Fisher

Minimally Valuable Poser

• Forum MVP
  • 2,723 posts

Posted 05 June 2004 - 10:44 PM

Note: Clicking these link will open OE. If you use another newsreader, you need to search for the group, or open a new News Account.Your best bet is:news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.publ...c.win98.scanregOR:news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.publ....gen_discussionBut don't cross-post!  :o
James M. Fisher

#12 OFFLINE   jeffw_00

jeffw_00

Topic Cop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 06 June 2004 - 12:39 AM

i posted to the scanreg one - we'll seethanks/j

#13 OFFLINE   James M. Fisher

James M. Fisher

Minimally Valuable Poser

• Forum MVP
  • 2,723 posts

Posted 06 June 2004 - 09:41 AM

jeffw_00, on Jun 6 2004, 12:41 AM, said:

i posted to the scanreg one - we'll seethanks/j
Please post back if you get a resolution to your problem? Thanks!
James M. Fisher

#14 OFFLINE   jeffw_00

jeffw_00

Topic Cop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 06 June 2004 - 01:15 PM

Well - I'm told it's because my Registry has grown to more than about 8.5MB.  Now I'm posting to find out how to make my registry smaller - should I start a new thread here?/j

#15 OFFLINE   James M. Fisher

James M. Fisher

Minimally Valuable Poser

• Forum MVP
  • 2,723 posts

Posted 06 June 2004 - 01:57 PM

jeffw_00, on Jun 6 2004, 01:17 PM, said:

Well - I'm told it's because my Registry has grown to more than about 8.5MB.  Now I'm posting to find out how to make my registry smaller - should I start a new thread here?/j
Jeff, just be patient in the NG.  Alan Edwards is a highly competent individual and is very active in the MS NGs.Did you look at any of the other posts in the Google link?Do you run ZoneAlarm by any chance? If so, free or paid and version #?

Edited by James M. Fisher, 06 June 2004 - 02:29 PM.

James M. Fisher

#16 OFFLINE   jeffw_00

jeffw_00

Topic Cop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 06 June 2004 - 03:04 PM

looked at the posts - nothing to solve it.  Don't run Zonealarm, never haveI'm patient 8-}/j

#17 OFFLINE   James M. Fisher

James M. Fisher

Minimally Valuable Poser

• Forum MVP
  • 2,723 posts

Posted 06 June 2004 - 04:06 PM

jeffw_00, on Jun 6 2004, 03:06 PM, said:

looked at the posts - nothing to solve it.  Don't run Zonealarm, never haveI'm patient 8-}/j
Just following a rumour about ZA.I am not sure what part of the world Alan is in. Could be UK, for all I know.
James M. Fisher

#18 OFFLINE   jeffw_00

jeffw_00

Topic Cop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 06 June 2004 - 06:50 PM

Alan wrote....-------------------------------------------------I don't use Registry cleaners so cannot recommend their use.It is unlikely you can trim enough without major removal ofapplications to get below 8.5Mb (assuming that is around the cut-offpoint).Sorry, I don't have the answer you are seeking and can only suggestyou skip using Scanreg /Fix.---------------------------------------------------- if he's the ultimate authority (8-}) I guess I'm out of luck..../j

#19 Guest_JoS_*

Guest_JoS_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 June 2004 - 08:01 PM

Confused.  Are you running scanreg /fix via the Command prompt or scanregw /fix via Windows?  You've mentioned both, which one isn't working?Norton's System Works has WinDoctor which can clean up the registry.   And the Easycleaner utility JMF suggested can clean the registry also.  What's the requirement that it has to be done with a DOS utility?

#20 OFFLINE   James M. Fisher

James M. Fisher

Minimally Valuable Poser

• Forum MVP
  • 2,723 posts

Posted 06 June 2004 - 08:29 PM

jeffw_00, on Jun 6 2004, 06:52 PM, said:

Alan wrote....-------------------------------------------------I don't use Registry cleaners so cannot recommend their use.It is unlikely you can trim enough without major removal ofapplications to get below 8.5Mb (assuming that is around the cut-offpoint).Sorry, I don't have the answer you are seeking and can only suggestyou skip using Scanreg /Fix.---------------------------------------------------- if he's the ultimate authority (8-}) I guess I'm out of luck..../j
Hmmmm...Well, I would go the registry cleaner route, but backup first.
James M. Fisher

#21 OFFLINE   jeffw_00

jeffw_00

Topic Cop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 07 June 2004 - 10:38 AM

JoS, on Jun 6 2004, 07:03 PM, said:

Confused.  Are you running scanreg /fix via the Command prompt or scanregw /fix via Windows?  You've mentioned both, which one isn't working?Norton's System Works has WinDoctor which can clean up the registry.   And the Easycleaner utility JMF suggested can clean the registry also.  What's the requirement that it has to be done with a DOS utility?
Sorry - Im confused.   scanregw /fix from a DOS box in windows tells me I have to be in DOS mode.  So What we're talking about is scanreg /fix from DOS before Windows/j

#22 Guest_JoS_*

Guest_JoS_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 June 2004 - 03:05 PM

scanregw /fix from a DOS box in windows tells me I have to be in DOS mode.
That's because the "w" version is a Windows app and needs to run in Windows not in a DOS window.  Try Start>Run enter scanregW /fix, click on OK.

#23 OFFLINE   jeffw_00

jeffw_00

Topic Cop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 07 June 2004 - 03:08 PM

Oh... that's quite different.  8-} will try it tonite/thanks/j

#24 OFFLINE   jeffw_00

jeffw_00

Topic Cop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 07 June 2004 - 08:08 PM

JoS, on Jun 7 2004, 02:07 PM, said:

scanregw /fix from a DOS box in windows tells me I have to be in DOS mode.
That's because the "w" version is a Windows app and needs to run in Windows not in a DOS window.  Try Start>Run enter scanregW /fix, click on OK.
Run: scanregw /fixError:  Cannot fix the registry from Windows.  Run scanreg from DOS./j

#25 Guest_JoS_*

Guest_JoS_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 June 2004 - 08:33 PM

@#$%  Sorry jeffw_00 I thought for sure that would work for you.  How about Start>Run scanregw /opt click on Go?  Maybe if we can get it optimized it will be lower than the 8.4MB limit then /fix will run under DOS.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users