New Blood...

Cluttermagnet

Cluttermagnet

I had occasion to give the forums a hearty recommendation just recently.

So perhaps it might lead to a new member or three... Dropped the url

on a friendly local site I frequent. Some folks describing early adoption

growing pains with Linux Mint. I mentioned how much help and

general hand holding I needed, starting out as an 'average user' type.

Much gratitude today, which happens to be appropriate to the season.

Happy Thanksgiving, All.

Sure did appreciate the bounty of help I found here. You all know who

you are. It all started in 2003.Fond memories of Bruno and Fran...

Clutter

Edited by Cluttermagnet
  • Like 4
  • +1 1

I'll say it too....folks here are AWESOME!

I thought I was an above-average or even advanced "Window User", but when I found Linux, I realized how little I really knew.  (although Windows troubleshooting skills and google searches actually translated pretty well?!)  LOL!  I finally have an OS that looks exactly how I want it, behaves exactly as it should, and steady as can be.  Many of those "looks" and "behaves" characteristics are the result of seeing someone's else's efforts here on BATL, and stealing their idea for my own implementation!  Things I may never have discovered on my own, or certainly would've taken MUCH longer to come across.

Not everything I've stolen has been paradigm shifting....some things were just "cool" and I liked it.  But the paradigm-shifters were HUGE for me!  Not sure I can remember everyone to attribute credit to, but some of the BIG ones:

• fluxbox WM by Saturnian.  I stumbled upon OpenBox in Lubuntu and it was okay.  Lighter weight, and that was good.  And then I saw Saturnian's Flux desktop and was WOWED....easily configured, easily customized, and easily implemented in Lubuntu....the HOLY GRAIL trifecta!  With Fluxbox skils acquired, I revisited OpenBox and then discovered PekWM, and liked them all....but Fluxbox remains the king for me.  I like a desktop/right-click menu that is customizable (all 3 have that); I like tabbed windows (Flux and Pek have that); and Flux is EASILY configured with plain english config files (OpenBox uses HTML syntax, while PekWM is plain english with slightly unusual formatting with brackets & indentations).  Flux for the win!
  • Tint2 panel by ???.  I wasn't a fan of Fluxbox toolbar.  But I saw a cool "launcher" on this forum and started asking questions.  I configured Tint2 as a "workspace switcher" and put it on the right side, and invoked it with a mouse gesture on the right edge.  this made my skippy-xd configuration redundant and obsolete.  later, I realized I didn't need the "edge actions", as Tint2 had an "autohide" feature and a mouse-over "placeholder" to "unhide".  Transition complete with Tint2!
  • Debian through Sunrat.  I had been a 'Buntu user shortly after making the Linux switch.  Started off with Ubuntu, then later migrated to Lubuntu.  It was the right distro for me, but I had grown dissatisfied with the direction of 'Buntu.  I had to re-install numerous computers everytime a LTS version expired (every 5 years).  I'm a well-documented complainer about this at every cycle.  So I started looking at rolling releases, and several folks on here have their favorites.  I tried them out, but they weren't for me.  I have too many installations to administer rolling releases without just inviting trouble.  I need STABILITY.  Sunrat suggested his favorite...Debian.  the 'Buntus were a derivative of Debian, so the tools and skillsets would translate very well, and Debian fit the rest of my criteria.  But what about upgrades in place?  Doing that with the 'Buntus ALWAYS introduced gremlins, which is how I ended up re-installing OSes every 5 years.  Sunrat indicated he's been upgrading in place for years with no issues.  Did some research on my own and found several other folks around the world swearing that Debian upgrades with no issues, if you just read the manual and follow the instructions.  I can do that....I'm actually GOOD at that!  So took a leap of faith and switched to Debian.  I was getting ready to upgrade my main workhorse, when I bought new hardware and just installed the most recent Debian 12.  So my old machine with Debian 10 got short-circuited with the upgrade-in-place.  But now that machine is out of service and doesn't need to be upgraded.  But isn't that the PERFECT test case for an exercise like that?  Guess what's about to happen with the old machine over the upcoming holidays?
  • Virtual Machine Manager through SecurityBreach.  When I switched to Debian proper, I learned that Debian 10 no longer supported VirtualBox (VB), but instead recommends Virtual-Machine-Manager (VMM).  Debian forums are littered with posts warning against creating a "FrankenDebian" installation, so I was inclined to follow the VMM recommendation.  Seemed like everyone on this forum who virtualizes uses VB, until SB chimed in that he was a VMM user.  Knowing that I had another user's experience to draw upon, I gave it a whirl.  It's not as intuitive, or as many features (from the GUI, at least?!) as VB, but it's certainly capable.  And once I got it configured, there isn't anything in VB that I'm missing in VMM.  Another solid move that I wouldn't have made on my own.
  • OpenSUSE through Mel(?).  Not sure if I got the user right, but someone on this forum uses OpenSUSE as their primary OS...their daily driver.  I have very little experience with RPM distros, as I was drawn to DEB distros in my early days and quickly acclimated.  But of all the RPMs, OpenSUSE stood out for all the right reasons.  They were backed by a large corporation (Novell at the time), using KDE as their "flagship" desktop, and OpenSUSE was the homeowner's version of their Enterprise SUSE.  And I figured those Germans probably engineer their software like they engineer every other product they make....with precision and attention to detail.  All the boxes getting checked....but never got around to it, because Ubuntu closed the deal before I could get to OpenSUSE.  I recently saw a post on here about OpenSUSE and it tickled my memory, realized I still hadn't explored it.  So I installed OpenSUSE in a VM and was WOWED!  There's NO rough edges I can see!  Playing in the terminal, I'm used to APT commands and syntax, and SUSE uses zypper.  Upon messing up some zypper syntax, SUSE recommended a CLI command based on what it thinks I wanted to do.  I was trying to look at the packages in the SUSE repos.  In Debian, that's "apt cache search program".  So I figured "zypper cache search program" was the translation.  It wasn't, but it was close enough for SUSE to provide me with the search string I was looking for.  THAT was impressive to me.  And for someone considering a migration (I'm not), that would've been a strong magnet!  I think if I had found OpenSUSE before I found Ubuntu, I'd be an RPM guy instead of a DEB guy.  Would've never found that out without this forum!

So yeah, members on this forum have been CRITICAL in my path to linux adoption.  I may have found linux on my own, but folks here help me keep linux in tip-top share, PERFECT for me.  And isn't that the sales tag-line for linux?  They way YOU want it?

If I've messed up the names of some of my attributions, I apologize.  I'm trying to give credit where credit is due, and certainly don't want to disrespect anyone, as I think I've gotten SOMETHING from everyone here.  Maybe an icon set?  Or a wallpaper?  Or an undiscovered option/feature that made my OS better?  Those mentioned above are just my own personal MONUMENTAL pivot-points.  There are many others, but can't possibly mention them all!  So in the spirit of giving thanks for all my blessings, just wanted to give THANKS to EVERYONE on this forum for everything I've gotten from you over the years.  I'm not sure if I'm giving as much as I'm getting, but that IS my goal, and I'll continue on that path! 

Happy Holidays to all here!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, raymac46 said:

I know ebrke is also a committed Open SUSE user.

I was still fairly new to Linux at the time and I would sometimes pick up a few of the Linux magazines available at Barnes and Noble down in Newport News, VA.  I remember seeing articles and ads for Suse.  I'm not sure if they still exist....but there used to be a CompUSA across the street from the BnN store.  I found Suse there and bought a copy.  I gave it try.  It was OK but I didn't use it very long.  I ended up exploring other flavors.  It's been a great journey.... (regarding being Curious Suse....I think it was the gecko logo)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Hedon James said:
  • Debian through Sunrat.... Sunrat indicated he's been upgrading in place for years with no issues.

Actually I don't think I ever did that. I viewed a new release as an opportunity to clear out the masses of cruft I always add to Debian so reinstalled each new release. However I have so much extra stuff in my current Bullseye (yes, not on Bookworm yet) I'm going to try it. Not sure if the 3rd party repos and compiled packages will transition smoothly though.

As an admin on Debian user forums I have seen a lot of reports of people doing release upgrades smoothly so may have mentioned that.

I actually started on RPM distros, Mandrake 9.3, Suse (before it was Open). First Debian experience was Knoppix so I eventually transitioned maybe 12 years ago.

52 minutes ago, sunrat said:

Actually I don't think I ever did that. I viewed a new release as an opportunity to clear out the masses of cruft I always add to Debian so reinstalled each new release. However I have so much extra stuff in my current Bullseye (yes, not on Bookworm yet) I'm going to try it. Not sure if the 3rd party repos and compiled packages will transition smoothly though.

As an admin on Debian user forums I have seen a lot of reports of people doing release upgrades smoothly so may have mentioned that.

I actually started on RPM distros, Mandrake 9.3, Suse (before it was Open). First Debian experience was Knoppix so I eventually transitioned maybe 12 years ago.

I'll take your word for that.  Like I said earlier.....not 100% positive with my attributions.  I'm certain you vouched for Debian, but I wouldn't swear to the upgrade-in-place, although that was the thing that closed the deal for me.  I'll plead "I do not recall that" now that you have cast doubt on my recollection.  My bad, but it was an honest try.

I'll absolutely stand by my statement that I'm fairly certain I have stolen SOMETHING from everyone on here!  Idea, design, script....mindset.  But it's "open source" right?  And I pass it along freely!  LOL!

7 hours ago, raymac46 said:

I know ebrke is also a committed Open SUSE user.

maybe it was ebrke?  mel seems to be in the Mint, Manjaro and Endeavour(?) camps most recently.  There's ONE GUY on here who professed that OpenSUSE is his daily driver....HIS distro of choice.  To him I say "THANK YOU" for reminding me....I gave it a try, and I dig it too!  If I weren't a Debian/LXQT guy, I could absolutely see myself being an OpenSUSE/KDE guy!  I've got a new #2!  😎

Personally I've upgraded Debian in place many times on my Thinkpad. Generally I run Debian Testing, follow it through into Stable, and then point my sources to the next Testing.

I've also upgraded Linux Mint in place numerous times on a desktop system. Mostly I do it to avoid a reconfigure of scheduler rules on my HDD/SSD combination on the desktop.

None of these systems are mission critical so if the upgrade fails I can reinstall from a Thumbdrive no problem.

V.T. Eric Layton

Oh, and @ebrke is definitely the OpenSuSe user here at Scots.

I'm getting a little frustrated with glitches during my last two installs, but OpenSuse and I have been together so long I know I'll just put up with it. 

The above from THIS thread.

16 hours ago, sunrat said:

First Debian experience was Knoppix so I eventually transitioned maybe 12 years ago.

Knoppix was kinda fun...it was like the Swiss Army knife for Linux .

23 hours ago, wa4chq said:

Knoppix was kinda fun...it was like the Swiss Army knife for Linux .

the thing I like most about Knoppix was the contribution of ISOs and "LiveCD" to the rest of the world.  I've got no proof, but I'd be willing to wager that THIS feature has done more to increase the uptake of Linux than ANY other.  LiveCDs were a game-changer....you could see how Linux operated, how it would look, what software it would have....without touching your "current" system.  Talk about a no-risk, no-loss opportunity!  Back in the late 00's, when I switched, I had no "spare" machines to install Linux on....and even if I did, I had no one to show me or teach me how.  Not sure I would've ever made the move without LiveCDs, but it absolutely condensed the time frame.  It might have taken me several more years to give it a go, but LiveCDs made it SO EASY to "try before you buy", and the LiveCDs made me all warm & fuzzy to the point that I thought switching to Linux was a no-risk no-brainer.

Even so, I hit up my buddy who owned a computer-repair shop and got my hands on an old laptop that he wanted to refurbish.  But the OEM OS was WinXP and MS was in the middle of Win7 to Win8 transition, and he was certain the hardware wouldn't support Win7 or Win8.  So he agreed to let me experiment with an install of LiveCD before he wiped the drive for a fresh re-install of WinXP.  That went so well, I started looking for machines to install Linux on!  15+/- years later, here I am, and the story is still being written.

Klaus Knoppix deserves a spot on the Linux Pantheon, along with Linus & Stallman, IMO.  Linus brought the kernel, and Stallman brought the userspace & tools, but Knoppix brought the USERS by delivering it to the masses!

• Like 1

Interesting. I have generally been the exact opposite - I've always had a piece of old hardware that needed a new operating system. My first desktop install was on a Dell Dimension 4100 system with a PIII 866 CPU. My first laptop install was on an old Compaq Armada 1700 that originally ran Windows 95. And so it goes to this day.

Of course I always use the Live ISO feature to check and see that all the hardware works. In the past most of my issues were with wifi - that has gotten a lot better but I still keep an Ethernet cable handy.

Edited by raymac46

22 hours ago, Hedon James said:

the thing I like most about Knoppix was the contribution of ISOs and "LiveCD" to the rest of the world.  I've got no proof, but I'd be willing to wager that THIS feature has done more to increase the uptake of Linux than ANY other.  LiveCDs were a game-changer....you could see how Linux operated, how it would look, what software it would have....without touching your "current" system.  Talk about a no-risk, no-loss opportunity!  Back in the late 00's, when I switched, I had no "spare" machines to install Linux on....and even if I did, I had no one to show me or teach me how.  Not sure I would've ever made the move without LiveCDs, but it absolutely condensed the time frame.  It might have taken me several more years to give it a go, but LiveCDs made it SO EASY to "try before you buy", and the LiveCDs made me all warm & fuzzy to the point that I thought switching to Linux was a no-risk no-brainer.

Even so, I hit up my buddy who owned a computer-repair shop and got my hands on an old laptop that he wanted to refurbish.  But the OEM OS was WinXP and MS was in the middle of Win7 to Win8 transition, and he was certain the hardware wouldn't support Win7 or Win8.  So he agreed to let me experiment with an install of LiveCD before he wiped the drive for a fresh re-install of WinXP.  That went so well, I started looking for machines to install Linux on!  15+/- years later, here I am, and the story is still being written.

Klaus Knoppix deserves a spot on the Linux Pantheon, along with Linus & Stallman, IMO.  Linus brought the kernel, and Stallman brought the userspace & tools, but Knoppix brought the USERS by delivering it to the masses!

Interesting read, HJ.  Knoppix was one of the first to come out with a LiveCD.  With early versions, you lost any changes when you rebooted but they had a way to make it possible to set up a "persistent home directory".  At that time, I don't think I was smart enough to read all the detail, I was just fascinated with seeing a distro on a CD come alive.  I haven't messed around with Knoppix in ages but have read that it's now available for USB so maybe it allows an easier way to use "persistence".  With the use of Orca screenreader, Knoppix may have also been one of the first Live distro's for the visually impaired.

7 hours ago, wa4chq said:

Knoppix may have also been one of the first Live distro's for the visually impaired.

I understand the main developers wife is blind and he made an os for and with her,

https://www.knopper.net/knoppix-adriane/index-en.html

ADRIANE is an easy-to-use, talking desktop system with optional support for braille, which can be used entirely without vision oriented output devices. Especially access to standard internet services like email, surfing the web, scanning and reading of printed documents and much more.

Knoppix 6.0 Adriane - A genuine masterpiece

An old article but still relevant today

Adriane is also very fast and rock-stable. And it is oriented toward all computer users, including visually impaired people, with the screen reader software enabled and running by default. A genuine masterpiece.

Free Operating System For Blind: Adriane Knoppix

I did not have much idea how Linux for the blind worked, but later in the evening Klaus and Adriane gave a live demonstration of Adriane Knoppix during a session 'Linux For Blinds' at LinuxAsia 2007. Known for his swift moves on stage and dramatic presentations, Knopper once again captivated the audience; nobody moved a muscle until the demo was over. During the presentation, Adriane showed how the blind can use computers with as much ease as others.

The best part of Adriane Knoppix is that it is exceptionally cheap as compared to other solutions available for blind people. Knopper suggested that you can use an old computer (even with P2 processor), which anyone can afford, and use Adriane Knoppix which is available for free, thus, lowering the cost significantly. Knopper said that the Live CD for Adriane Knoppix will be available soon.

Knoppix was one of the first linux os's I used way back when. But for the fact that I do not speak german which is where most information is on their forums. There is a english section there but it is a shadow of the german section..

A super offering that deserves more recognition and uptake for disabled folk. 😎

• Like 1

On 11/22/2023 at 4:12 AM, wa4chq said:

This is a great forum, I've learned a lot from a lot of good people.  Have a great Thanksgiving!

This is the only Linux forum I've visited where there has never been a response of the ilk "you are an idiot".

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 11/22/2023 at 3:31 PM, raymac46 said:

Personally I've upgraded Debian in place many times on my Thinkpad. Generally I run Debian Testing, follow it through into Stable, and then point my sources to the next Testing.

I've also upgraded Linux Mint in place numerous times on a desktop system. Mostly I do it to avoid a reconfigure of scheduler rules on my HDD/SSD combination on the desktop.

None of these systems are mission critical so if the upgrade fails I can reinstall from a Thumbdrive no problem.

I switched when practical to Debian due to its upgrade in place feature.

On 11/24/2023 at 10:36 AM, raymac46 said:

Interesting. I have generally been the exact opposite - I've always had a piece of old hardware that needed a new operating system. My first desktop install was on a Dell Dimension 4100 system with a PIII 866 CPU. My first laptop install was on an old Compaq Armada 1700 that originally ran Windows 95. And so it goes to this day.

Of course I always use the Live ISO feature to check and see that all the hardware works. In the past most of my issues were with wifi - that has gotten a lot better but I still keep an Ethernet cable handy.

The opposite?  Of ME?  Say it isn't so?!  I don't know what it is Ray, but I feel a kinship with you that I suspect likely extends beyond our computer hobbies.  I have never met anyone who seems to think 180 degrees opposite of me, yet still makes the same (or similar) decisions, and derives the same (or similar) conclusions.  It's quite unusual, but at the same time, comforting.  If someone thinks the opposite of me, yet still derives the same conclusion, it MUST have merit, right?!  LOL!

Someone could cast us in those old Reese's Peanut Butter Cup commercials, where the 1st guy laments "hey, you got your chocolate in my peanut butter"; and the 2nd guy says "well, you got your peanut butter on my chocolate".  Then both guys take a bite, and agree that the "new taste" is an improvement.  "Two great tastes, that taste great together".  That's you and me, buddy!

Or maybe we're the "light beer" commercial guys.  "Tastes Great!" versus "Less Filling!"  LMAO!  Luv ya buddy!

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton
13 hours ago, crp said:

This is the only Linux forum I've visited where there has never been a response of the ilk "you are an idiot".

You can thank @Bruno for that. He was very vehement in his feelings of how folks should be treated here. The word "newbie" was even discouraged. Most of us here during the Bruno era still don't use that word.

• +1 1

V.T. Eric Layton
17 minutes ago, Hedon James said:

I don't know what it is Ray, but I feel a kinship with you that I suspect likely extends beyond our computer hobbies.

I have that feeling about most of the "regulars" here. We're all very different people, but we've come to learn about one another and appreciate each other. I think that's a very good thing. :)

• +1 1

V.T. Eric Layton
On 11/22/2023 at 4:55 PM, sunrat said:

Actually I don't think I ever did that.

Maybe not, but you are the resident Debian knucklehead here. :)

• Agree 1

@HJ I think we both use a couple of  Steven Coveys "7 Habits" in our approach to problems:

• Seek first to understand, rather than be understood.
  • Synergize.

I have found over the years that those habits can take you a long way - regardless of where you begin.

• Like 1
  • +1 1

On 11/22/2023 at 9:47 AM, Hedon James said:

I'll say it too....folks here are AWESOME!

snipped

• Debian through Sunrat.  I had been a 'Buntu user shortly after making the Linux switch.  Started off with Ubuntu, then later migrated to Lubuntu.  It was the right distro for me, but I had grown dissatisfied with the direction of 'Buntu.  I had to re-install numerous computers everytime a LTS version expired (every 5 years).  I'm a well-documented complainer about this at every cycle.  So I started looking at rolling releases, and several folks on here have their favorites.  I tried them out, but they weren't for me.  I have too many installations to administer rolling releases without just inviting trouble.  I need STABILITY.  Sunrat suggested his favorite...Debian.  the 'Buntus were a derivative of Debian, so the tools and skillsets would translate very well, and Debian fit the rest of my criteria.  But what about upgrades in place?  Doing that with the 'Buntus ALWAYS introduced gremlins, which is how I ended up re-installing OSes every 5 years.  Sunrat indicated he's been upgrading in place for years with no issues.  Did some research on my own and found several other folks around the world swearing that Debian upgrades with no issues, if you just read the manual and follow the instructions.  I can do that....I'm actually GOOD at that!  So took a leap of faith and switched to Debian.  I was getting ready to upgrade my main workhorse, when I bought new hardware and just installed the most recent Debian 12.  So my old machine with Debian 10 got short-circuited with the upgrade-in-place.  But now that machine is out of service and doesn't need to be upgraded.  But isn't that the PERFECT test case for an exercise like that?  Guess what's about to happen with the old machine over the upcoming holidays?

snipped

I've upgraded my 'Buntu installations in place before, but it was always "automatic" by Ubuntu.  'Buntu would notify me that a new LTS was available, and ask if I wanted to upgrade.  All I had to do was say yes, and it happened in the background.  And while everything seemed to upgrade just fine, something always ended up "quirky", with gremlins introduced into the system.  But Debian folks pointed out that Debian was a MANUAL upgrade, with many swearing and declaring they've been doing it for YEARS with no issues whatsoever.  Taking that information on faith was the impetus to switch my primary OS to Debian.  But my recent hardware upgrades short-circuited my rapidly approaching upgrade-in-place of Debian 10.

That old machine was just sitting there, BEGGING me to experiment, with no fear whatsoever of repercussions!  LOL!  So I found an online tutorial to upgrade Debian 10 (Buster) to Debian 11 (Bullseye) and followed instructions.  The manual steps are interesting because you manually disable 3rd party repos like Google and Teamviewer and I can understand why so many Debian folks RAIL against "frankendebians".  Glad I avoided that, although some 3rd party repos were necessary.  Once disabled, it was actually pretty easy to modify repo sources from "buster" to "bullseye" and perform full system upgrades.  Also interesting was that it seemed to be a 2-stage process.  I may be wrong, but it seems like the base underlying system got upgraded first (apt upgrade --without-new-pkgs), and then the userspace afterwards?  Maybe someone can explain that better than I understood it, but that's what it seemed like to me.  Upgrade in place to Debian 11 proceeded with NO ISSUES whatsoever.  I rebooted, and tinkered with it, and everything seems fine.  Of course, maybe some gremlins were introduced that I would only discover with full-time usage for a week or two, but I had another upgrade in place to perform....taking Debian 11 to Debian 12.

Found another tutorial for that, which was slightly different than the Deb10-Deb11 upgrade.  Experienced some issues after the fact, but with some trouble-shooting was able to resolve quickly.  Turns out Debian changed the nomenclature of one of the repo sources, and a package name changed with libdvd...can't remember the specifics.  Made those 2 minor changes, rebooted, and verified I'm running Debian 12!  Again, everything seems to be running fine.  I can't use it full-time for another week or 2 to search for Gremlins, but I might let it run unattended for a week or 2 and see what happens?  I can see how/why Debian upgrades are more reliable than 'Buntu upgrades.  My 'Buntu systems always had PPAs, whereas my Debian OS has NONE of that.  I'm willing to bet those PPAs were a big source of gremlins in my 'Buntu upgrades.  Now that I've successfully upgraded, I'll re-enable the Google and Teamviewer repos and see how that goes.  But I feel pretty confident with the upgrades having been done, now that I see what goes on "under the hood".  If my Deb11-Deb12 issues had occurred in a 'Buntu upgrade, I wouldn't have known about them.  I'm feeling confident that folks weren't lying or exaggerating about their Debian installs having been upgraded-in-place for YEARS.  I believe I've got the right OS for my long-term needs.  Yep, I'm a Debian guy now, LOL!

And with that upgrade-in-place exercise behind me, I'll pull the SSD for future use; put the original SSD with Win7 Pro back in, and donate to one of my music buddies, or perhaps even a worthy cause.  It's actually a pretty nice machine...Intel Core i7 with 16GB RAM and optical drive.  But I've got enough backups laying around...don't need 1 more, LOL!

• Like 1

On the subject of redundant backups, I am now recycling the 2008 AMD 64 X2 4600+ machine that was my first Linux only desktop system. With it goes a 2006 19 inch Samsung 4:3 Syncmaster flat screen monitor.

This system still has the original HDD (325GB SATA1) and IDE based DVD-ROM. The DVD-ROM is not working anymore and the motherboard never allowed booting from a thumbdrive, so installing anything else is now impossible. I couldn't even boot a live disk to wipe the HDD so I used the shred command. After that the system is a doorstop. The only thing worth removing is the power supply, but I already have one backup PS here and the one in the old desktop is at least 10 years old. The video card is an Nvidia GT520. The wifi card is (wait for it) PCI based.

This machine has a lot of memories of my early days here at BATL, but it's not the only old junker cluttering up my basement. Time to be ruthless, as I did with a bunch of 32 bit netbooks.

Edited by raymac46
  • Like 1