SPECIAL for ATL: Drake 10.1 Official FTP install

Bruno

Go to the Mandrake Control Centre/Configure Your Computer.Click on Software ManagementClick on Updates. Tell it yes on checking for mirrors.Check the boxes for bugfixes, security and updates. Check everything off and sit back and wait. :)That should give you the latest updates.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bruno

• Dard

• Ozidave

• swamysk

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi SverreThere is a little problem with the update source . . . but that is VERY EASY to bypass:For the updates: . . just open the MCC . . . Software . . . Media Manager and click on the "add" button then tick the box "security updates" ( last one on the right ) . . . . Then paste this in the URL box:

ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/Mandrakelinux/official/updates/10.1/main_updates

The tick the box "Relative Path to synthesis/hdlist" and paste this in that box:

media_info/synthesis.hdlist.cz

Then click OK and wait for the process to finish . . . . and press OK on the large window . . . this will bring you back to the 4 icons of the software management . . . Now press the "Updates" icon and when asked press "YES" to get the list . . . then tick a 3 boxes: "security" "bugfixes" and "normal updates" . . . . install them all. ( at this moment 450 MB )Now, what still bothers me is that you have no graphical login . . . This is not normal . . . My questions: 1). How was this on your Community-Install ??2). Did you do a clean install or did you choose "Upgrade" from your community ? Because the "Upgrade" function looks very appealing but never really works okay.3). What did you do at the "summary"-screen during the install ? ( see http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.php?showtopic=9810 picture 15 and 16 )We will have to solve this issue, because it should not be that way !B) Bruno

Edited by Bruno

Sverre . . . I accidentally pasted the wrong URL in previous post . . . . . but have corrected it to the right one just now !!I hope you did not read/copy that post before the time I changed the URL and "Relative Path" for the updates. So, to be clear: Now it is the correct one for Mandrake 10.1 official.;):P Bruno

Hi allCan's see this answered so here's my question - presumably doing a clean install would wipe out all applications I have installed (like Firefox, RealPlayer, Thunderbird etc) in the /usr/share directories. Is my assumption correct? If yes, is there an easy way of "protecting" these installs for instance by copying them over to the /home directory and copying them back after the install? Second question, what .conf files should be backed up in order to ensure system-wide settings are reinstated after the install?Thanks a lot for your help, I think I'll go for a network install tonight!

Hi allCan's see this answered so here's my question - presumably doing a clean install would wipe out all applications I have installed (like Firefox, RealPlayer, Thunderbird etc) in the /usr/share directories.  Is my assumption correct?  If yes, is there an easy way of "protecting" these installs for instance by copying them over to the /home directory and copying them back after the install?  Second question, what .conf files should be backed up in order to ensure system-wide settings are reinstated after the install?Thanks a lot for your help, I think I'll go for a network install tonight!
Hi swamysk . . . . . well, those programs are not only in /usr/share like you assume . . the executables will be in /usr/bin and the needed libraries in /usr/lib . . . . So you will just have to reinstall those programs ( and Realplayer, Firefox and Thunderbird are really easy to install ) The bookmarks from Realplayer, the personal settings from Firefox and the mail + filters from Thunderbird are kept in /home so if you do not fromat /home ( or back it up and restore ) you will still have all those settings, bookmarks, mail and addresses. ( also the settings from Gkrellm are in home )Next to that I would only back up /etc/lilo.conf if you multiboot several distro's . . . other then that is not really worth it because Mandrake 10.1 changes from XFree to Xorg, changes the modules.conf to modules.preload etc. etc. . . . short: too many changes to make that worth it.I have many little extra programs with special settings and also do need a few hours to get it all in place after a new install . . . . . but I am always happy when the new install is running and have it configured the way I like it . . . and looking back I always keep saying: "It was not that bad afterall" :DSo go for it . . . . . . and have fun !>_< Bruno

Thanks Bruno.First hurdle . . boot install goes through until I hit a roadblock . .. message is The modules for this kernel (2.6.8.1-12mdkBOOT) can't be found on this mirror, please update your boot diskI've tried the following serverftp.nluug.nlSomeone else had this problem but seems like it was resolved without and help from others so that post remains unanswered...

Hi swamyskThat error message usually means there is a typo in the URL you typed ( or here on the forum ) . . . did you start and end the second line with a slash ??I will check the URL of nluug . . . . . >_< BrunoUPDATE: Just chacked the URL of nluug and the info given should be okay:First line: ftp.nluug.nlSecond line: /pub/os/Linux/distr/Mandrake/official/10.1/i586/( NOTE: The address is very case sensitive . . and there is NO "ftp://" starting the first line )

I'm trying to do another network install on my son's PC (P-II MMX, 300MHz, 3Com 10 Ethernet) but this time I can't get past the "network" bit.What's happening is, the system boots up alright fromthe CD ROM but then comes a messages that it cannot detect a NET and suggests that if this is a laptop (which it isn't) I need to get PCMCIA boot disk etc. Then comes a screen with a whole list of drivers from which I select the appropriate 3c5x9 driver. Next is the screen where you select the type of install (FTP) and then on the next screen I select DHCP. After this it tries to connect to my router, the router light comes on which (usually) means the PC is now connected. After a wait of about 2 mins, I get an error message "No DHCP reply received". The installation does not progress further and takes me back to the installation method screen.Couple of things to bear in mind1) I have MDK 10.0/O on this PC and it connects to the router/network properly using the same driver (I checked this from the kernel messages)2) Just a couple of days back I successfully did a network install through this router for another PC, no problems with DHCP whatsoever3) When I log into MDK 10 and check the network card status via HardDrake, it only shows eth0 but no description of the vendor, card specs etc - this is not a problem connecting and probably because its an old card (pre 1997).What could be wrong?