SPECIAL for ATL: Drake 10.1 Official FTP install

Bruno

Thanks Bruno. :)Looks like I shall give the FTP install a try in a couple of hours on the spare hard drive. It's how I got mandrake 10.0.I'm starting to actually like doing the FTP installs, as its saves burning to CD-R's.Some day I will have to try the install from a hard drive, but that's for another month. :thumbsup:

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bruno

• Dard

• Ozidave

• swamysk

Top Posters In This Topic

Some day I will have to try the install from a hard drive, but that's for another month. :thumbsup:
Stick to the FTP install . . it is easier and faster ( you have to download less, only the files you want to install . . . with an HD to HD install you have to download the files you are not going to use too )Good Luck and Have Fun !:lol: Bruno

Thanks for the mirrors, Bruno. When I first tried, the German one at Bayreuth was playing tricks - couldn't install a few KDE libraries. I was grateful for the Netherlands mirror. The second one you posted did the install with no problems. When I work up this morning everything was all ready for me to do the last configurations. I was glad I had saved my /etc/lilo.conf file on a floppy. It made putting all the other distros on my menu so much easier. So far my new 'Drake is looking good :thumbsup: Jan

That is great news Jan !!! . . . Glad you like the new 10.1 . . . . . To tell you the truth I have a hard time switching back to 10.0 for the dialy stuff I have to do, 10.1 is sooooo good and stable and it boots faster :thumbsup:( The default boot, 10.0 will only be replaced by the PowerPack I hope to get in 2 - 3 weeks ):lol: Bruno

Maybe it is time to ask if you already volunteerd yourself to be one of the generous adopters . . . :P  :harhar:  ;)  :harhar:  ???
You, my good friend.. are WAY behind the times. I put my name down to be a Foster-Distro yonks ago! :D :lol:

When I first tried, the German one at Bayreuth was playing tricks - couldn't install a few KDE libraries.
Hi Jan,Maybe it's fortunate that you didn't get Bayreuth... I used it and got 'Community'.I couldn't hold on to nluug for some reason. :lol: Maybe I'm missing something like a 'new' boot-go-get-it v10.1 official CD. I'll have to have a look around. :)EDIT: 11). First line: ftp.uni-bayreuth.desecond line: /pub/linux/Mandrakelinux/official/10.1/i586/OH Brother! When am I ever gonna learn???? :harhar: :harhar: ;) Edited by Ozidave

Heyyyyyyyyyy Bruno, B) I tried the ftp from bayreuth and ended up with 'Community', but that's no problem as I assume it's the same as Official and I'll have a look at that one later. :D And WOW! has it got some NEW packages... :harhar: Just have a look at what's in 'sound' for xmms alone.But this is ODD..... OH NO! it hasn't detected the printer, tried 'Install printer-detect, No-go... tried manually installing... No-go with 'not enough permission'. Oh NO! NOT AGAIN?????Disabled Auto-Login and Boot theme, re-booted into ROOT (OWNER) Red Desktop.Startx... and it found the printer and installed it before the KDE desktop even came up. :harhar: ;) :lol: It appears now that.. if you want to install peripherals.. you have to be logged in as 'Owner', and not root via the 'user' applet. :P

I'm starting to actually like doing the FTP installs, as its saves burning to CD-R's.
Hi Dard,Have you tried installing to CD-RW. I put the last ftp boot-to cd-rw and it worked fine, Next time I'll try the iso's.. Yep I know... it's slower. :harhar: And you'll never be a Foster-Distro-Dad if you only use ftp installs. :harhar:

Hi Jan,Maybe it's fortunate that you didn't get Bayreuth... I used it and got 'Community'.I couldn't hold on to nluug for some reason.  :harhar:
Hi David, It was a good thing I didn't stay with the Bayreuth mirror !! Afterwards, I tried ftp.nluug but there were no files available. The second Netherlands mirror was "just right" . I've just got to wait now for a few weeks to get the ftp Isos. My own ISP has all the newest Linux distros as a free download. Jan

I tried the ftp from bayreuth and ended up with 'Community',
??? . . :harhar: . . . David, could you do:
$ cat /etc/mandrake-release

. . . not really clear why you would end up with Community . . . . . :harhar: BrunoPS: Are you sure you did this part correctly:

11). First line: ftp.uni-bayreuth.de second line: /pub/linux/Mandrakelinux/official/10.1/i586/ Other lines: leave blank --> Press OK
( As you can see from the second line: it has to be "official" . . . the community is in "/pub/linux/Mandrakelinux/devel/10.1/i586/" )

I just tried ftp.nluug.nl and it complained about not finding the hdlist.cz. Thats all she wrote.I'll give ftp.nl.uu.net a try next.This happened just after it formatted my hard drive. ;) I'm beginning to wonder if these sites are really ready to do the ftp install.

I just tried ftp.nluug.nl and it complained about not finding the hdlist.cz. Thats all she wrote.I'll give ftp.nl.uu.net a try next.This happened just after it formatted my hard drive.   ;) I'm beginning to wonder if these sites are really ready to do the ftp install.
You are right Dard . . . checking nluug I see there are still files missing . . . . ftp://ftp.nl.uu.net/pub/linux/Mandrakelin...cial/10.1/i586/ looks pretty complete though . . . I will post a warning in the thread . . Thanks !B) BrunoPS: As far as I can see, these 3 should be okay:ftp.de.uu.netftp.nl.uu.netftp.uni-bayreuth.de

Bruno do happen to know which F key to press to get snap shots of the install?I hit one of those keys by accident and got a message popup that the screen shot was saved to /root/ something. lolmaybe it was alt=F something.Thanks for confirming about the missing files at ftp.nluug.nl

That is the F2 key . . . . . and you will find the screenshots later in "/root/DrakX-screenshots/" . . . ;) ( resolution of the shots will be 800x600 )B) Bruno

PS: Are you sure you did this part correctly:  ( As you can see from the second line: it has to be "official"  . . . the community is in "/pub/linux/Mandrakelinux/devel/10.1/i586/" )
Hi Bruno, B) I'm absolutely sure I didn't do it right and include the correct URL in the download script. I'd read so much about Community actually being Official and to ignore the community thing... that's exactly what I did.Next time I'll read the post from top to bottom before I do anything. ;) Edited by Ozidave

Mandrake 10.1 is now installed. I used the ftp.nl.uu.net site, took about 2 hours from start to finish, and the reboot. :thumbsup:From the looks of things I have a lot of packages to download. Heck there isn't even a icon to the filemanager in superuser mode. The web fonts look kind of crappy too in this add reply dialog box.But they do look fine in the actual posts. Oh joy when I right click to use spell checking, that doesn't work either, my-o-my, this is not a good start for a upgrade. ;)

securitybreach

Just to let everyone know the nluug mirror returned hdlist not found. For me the mirror took about 4 hours and hung at the boot loader. The german mirror wasf extremely fast and worked perfectly. It only took 2 hours. Got it and backed upped up my system this time lol ;)

this is not a good start for a upgrade.  B)
HI Dard . . I might be jumping the gun here but i am reading "upgrade" . . . . I hope you did a clean install and not an upgrade . . .Hi Breach . . . I placed a note in RED along with the nluug mirrors . . . they are not synched correctly. <======> UPDATE: It seems now they are okay ;);) Bruno

Hi j193193Welcome to the forum !!But that is funny, because surfnet is synched with nluug ( or the other way around, see quote below ) and this morning they were not yet complete . . . .

This machine is a mirror of many packages on the Internet. It is a joint effort of SURFnet and NLUUG.
Looking at it now though, it does seem that they both have all the files. Thanks for letting us know !;) Bruno

You're welcome j193193 . . . glad it worked for you ! :)If you have any more questions . . don't hesitate, plenty of people that can give answers ;):D Bruno

HI Dard . . I might be jumping the gun here but i am reading "upgrade"  . . . . I hope you did a clean install and not an upgrade . . .:huh: Bruno
I should of been more clear, I did do the clean install. Sorry about any confusion.When I said upgrade, I was referring to a version upgrade from 10.0 to 10.1 (like everyone knows what I'm thinking when I post. :rant: )After some sleep... I remembered that I also had to get quite a few packages for the 10.0 distribution.The spell checker is now working, why it wouldn't earlier today is anyones guess. Must be some package I installed or just shutting down for awhile did it. I installed about another 50 megs of packages after the FTP install.Now I have to get the popup preview working when I hover the mouse over a file in the filemanager. Seems I had this same issue with 10.0.And yes View-> Previews-> Show Previews, are all checked off in the konqueror filemanager.That's one of the problems with Linux, you set it and forget it, then when you install the latest version in 6 to 9 months you have to hunt things up all over again. (It's a good thing though)Where is Klippy the clip board icon located? I used it earlier, quit the app, and now I can't find it in the menu. :D

Did you try looking under "Utilities" for Klipper? That might not be quite the right word since I am in Gentoo and not Drake at the moment.

Where is Klippy the clip board icon located?
I keep mine on my taskbar. If you want to do that, right click on taskbar , go to "Add" then "Applet", then left click on Klipper. That way it's always available. Jan :D

I keep mine on my taskbar. If you want to do that, right click on taskbar , go to "Add" then "Applet", then left click on Klipper. That way it's always available. Jan  :rant:
Thanks Jan, I knew I seen it somewhere yesterday, and it does work. B)There is no Utilities menu entry here Julia, I think it's a KDE 3.3.0 entry in the menu.For me Klippy was buggy, so I put that icon in the quick launch area in the other distro, and that worked well. When I needed it I used it, then quit out until I needed it again. :DNeedless to say, I don't use Klippy that often. :D

I don't think I have ever used klippy. I had noticed it was there. You are right in guessing that I am using KDE 3.3 on this particular distro. More likely the difference is that Mandrake did a major overhaul of the menu in the 10.0 version to streamline the entires. Some changes were good and some I still question. . .

It is Adam. But you never have to go pull it up. You just right click and copy and then press the middle button to paste. There is no need to go to klipper.