• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bruno

• Cluttermagnet

• quint

• Marsden11

akorvemaker
i still dont understand it at all.  how can they sue for copyright if the entire Unix code was released thru Linux as Free Software?  :lol:
The issue here is that Linux is a clone of UNIX, but should not contain any of the actual source code from UNIX. SCO is claiming that some of its UNIX source was merged into the Linux code.Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

SCO has been in finanical trouble for awhile, while IBM and Oracle have announced increasing revenues from Linux products (IBM over $1 billion) :) . I think it's a couple of things1. SCO needs to be accquired by a large CO. This action is making SCO appealing by increasing stock value. IBM would to the perfect target, large enough to buy SCO and still confront MS. In my opinion,this really is not a good thing for MS..It is so much better for IBM. Just think If IBM buys SCO( assuming SCO pushes the Unix/Linux connection first..IBM will have "ownership/Business " to unix/linux lin agreements..in a ready made home and enterprise OSS. Nice revenue stream, controlled market value and,it would still be less expensive than MS because the baseline research has been completed. (also huge tax write off for legal) Like I said I don't think this is good for MS..I know some think MS is part of this..but My money would be on SCO and IBM working together.2. The other is SCO "IF" they can prove linux has "Part of the UNIX core in the linux core" and "IF" this was done prior to the GPL it might go many directions Royality fee's from Linux distros Both personal and Enterprise (say goodbye to free Mandrake&Redhat distro. "IF" the courts decide this was done prior to GPL, they may decide to award SCO Back Lin Fees ( say past 5 years)And then thee could be fee's for 3rd party vendors.Then there all these governments that have decided linux is their systemI don't think it's going to work..but the courts have done stranger things.I think the biggest letdown will be either way if SCO wins..alot of free development was done for them..but then again maybe the developers could use the same argument to charge SCO for their development time? :lol: Just My thought's (my first thoughts were MS was driving this..but the potential for real revenue growth in OS land is in the Linux world..and I think somebody has tried to find a way to capture the profit stream in a big way)

I don't know exactly what this wlll mean, but it's very obvious that this is NOT GOOD!!!!P.S. I think in the other thread about SCO the talk of Microsoft being involved was already there... we didn't know it for sure at the time, but I guess our feelings were true... I guess it's not enough for Microsoft to control 90+% of the operating systems... :D ;) :D :D :D :D

Thanks siebkens!Well, Looks like I need to eat humble pie...But I think for this MS is might just self destruct. This seems to move them from Monolistic to apparently predatory..which several governments, Including the US(part of the settlement was that they wouldn't do something this) warned them not to do...the business case may make sense..but the potential legal results don't. That's why I backed away from MS being involved. Well now I guess we will have to see if the Justice Dept really means what they say. Then again, If they didn't do enough to get their attention the first time....

You know, the more I read and ponder about this, the more I think that SCO is in league with MS. :D I've not read that anywhere, just projecting my negative feelings on this matter - it will be tragic. :D
QUINT!!!!! :D Would you be implying that MS would knowingly participate in unethical business practices???? I'm flabbergasted!!!
Now that I have read it somewhere...yes. :D

Guest LilBambi
Sorry I missed this thread - My link to CNET story: Microsoft to license SCO's Unix code - should have been here.  http://news.com.com/2009-1016_3-1003586.ht...ag=fd_lede1_hedAnd boy you guys were right on with the MS/ SCO connections :D
siebkens --No worries ... merged the two topics so we can keep it all together ;)Thanks so much for the story.(Now I wish I hadn't edited out one of my earlier statements ... where I said I think I smell a Redmond Rat! LOL!)This really makes me very upset. I hope the Linux developers won't take this sitting down! :D :D :D ;) :D

CNET article - Congress calls to arms against pirates. Most of this article deals with RIAA, MPAA & peer to peer sharing. BUT, with the SCO issues just coming to light, I thought huh, could MS have some fingers in this pie? Sure enough, halfway through the article:Joining Wexler as co-founder of the caucus is Rep. Adam Smith, D-Wash., who helped author a note last fall to 74 fellow Democrats assailing the Linux open-source operating system's GNU General Public License as a threat to America's "innovation and security." Smith's Ninth District includes the Seattle surburbs near Microsoft's Redmond, Wash., headquarters. The third founder is Rep. Tom Feeney, R-Fla., a first-term congressman and former speaker of the Florida House of Representatives who was once Gov. Jeb Bush's running mate.Complete article at http://news.com.com/2100-1028_3-1007908.ht...html?tag=fd_top ;)

Guest LilBambi

Oh, this just gets sicker and sicker!That is the same Wexler, (Democrat, Fla) who made the proposal last year wanting to let copyright holders disable PCs of users that 'copyright holders' feel are in violation of their copyrights.You know, the one that wanted to allow them to hack into homeuser's PCs with the intent of crippling their computer or removing what they think is not appropriate. And this while no one else is allowed by law to hack a computer!He basically supports copyright vigilantism.Wonder what this congressman has up his sleeve this time. I hope whatever it is they shoot it down again! It can't be anything good with the RIAA and MPAA so gleeful about it!

Hi all,Here's another article from Betanews.com

SCO Licenses UNIX Technology to MicrosoftBy Nate Mook, BetaNewsMay 19th, 2003, 9:17 PMCiting the need to ensure compliance across its UNIX-based products, Microsoft licensed from SCO a technology patent and source code to the UNIX operating system.The revelation has sparked heated discussion and speculation among open source advocates questioning the intentions of Redmond. But Microsoft representatives have remained mum, letting company lawyers do the talking."The announcement of this license is representative of Microsoft's ongoing commitment to respecting intellectual property (IP) and the IT community's healthy exchange of IP through licensing," Microsoft counsel Brad Smith said in a statement. "This helps to ensure IP compliance across Microsoft solutions and supports our efforts around existing products like Services for UNIX that further UNIX interoperability."SCO, formerly known as Caldera, began its intellectual property push in March when it sued IBM for over $1 billion, claiming UNIX technology was misappropriated and built into the open source Linux operating system. As one of the largest backers of Linux development, IBM proved an easy target for the struggling SCO. Although, industry experts hypothesized the lawsuit was simply a ploy to court a purchase by Big Blue.After failing to get a rise out of IBM, SCO last week sent letters to 1,500 corporations warning of potential liabilities for running Linux."We believe that Linux infringes on our Unix intellectual property and other rights," the letters read. "We intend to aggressively protect and enforce these rights. Legal liability that may arise from the Linux development process may also rest with the end user."The Linux community reacted with anger to the news, asking SCO to present proof of copyrighted code used unlawfully in Linux. SCO has refused to provide any public evidence, however, waiting until the matter goes to trial.SCO also suspended the sale of its own Linux distribution and withdrew from UnitedLinux, an initiative to create a unified version of Linux. "SCO is taking this important step because there are intellectual property issues with Linux," said Chris Sontag, general manager for SCO's intellectual property division.Sun Microsystems CEO Scott McNealy said users of Solaris, also based on UNIX, have nothing to worry about. Sun had received a "free and clear SCO license" a decade ago, according to McNealy.Microsoft joins Sun as one of the thousands of companies that have licensed UNIX, says SCO. SCO's Sontag echoed Microsoft's need to protect itself and ensure compatibility with UNIX."There are many companies in the IT industry who acknowledge and respect the intellectual property of software," said Sontag. "With this announcement, Microsoft is clearly showing the importance of maintaining compatibility with UNIX and Microsoft's software solutions through their software licensing."But open source advocate Bruce Perens took a different stance entirely, backed by Linux companies eager to fight SCO's claims. "Microsoft hardly needs an SCO source license," Perens said. "Its license payment to SCO is simply a good-looking way to pass along a bribe, coupled with an announcement designed to further intimidate Linux users."
Something to ponder?Cheers!

this microsoft connection nearly flew under my radar... nearly missed this post...ah well, this just makes me use my linux more and more, and i now have plans to switch all my doccumens and emails to linux. i'll keep windows around for gaming, until wine is perfected ;) in a few years, me thinks linux will be 'outlawed', m$ will have mandatory copyright seekbots in their new windows, and the matrix will be complete. only the people outside the matrix will have an underground network with linux boxes, and they shall be hunted by m$ security cops. ;) i'll keep this post and re=post it in a year to see how these predicitons go ;)

Guest LilBambi

As far as the "Giant Rat of Redmond*" is concerned, all I can say is"I think I'm gonna be sick!**" :lol: *intended to be confused with "Firesign Theatre's Giant Rat of Sumatra"** paraphrased from Ren and Stimpy LOL!

Cluttermagnet
Oh, this just gets sicker and sicker!That is the same Wexler, (Democrat, Fla) who made the proposal last year wanting to let copyright holders disable PCs of users that 'copyright holders' feel are in violation of their copyrights.You know, the one that wanted to allow them to hack into homeuser's PCs with the intent of crippling their computer or removing what they think is not appropriate. And this while no one else is allowed by law to hack a computer!He basically supports copyright vigilantism.Wonder what this <ah,hem> congressman has up his sleeve this time. I hope whatever it is they shoot it down again! It can't be anything good with the RIAA and MPAA so gleeful about it!
Regarding the all too predictable appearance of Redmond in the SCO debacle,http://www.zeropaid.com/news/articles/auto...o/05192003d.phppay close attention- we may be watching history in the making. That old saying is ever true, that anyone who is squeamish should not watch either law or sausage being made. Bambi- yes, that was a rat you were smelling!To help put the present situation in context, allow me to suggest a little historical research. Two items should suffice. The first- the treatment of the 'Bonus Marchers' in Washington DC. Shortly after WW I, a group of hard-up veterans encamped on the mall in Washington, demanding bonus money for their service in the war. These were financially difficult times. What ensued was basically a massacre of citizens by their government. Second item- in the 1920's if I remember dates right, a group of picketing employees were set upon outside one of Henry Ford's automobile manufacturing plants. They had the nerve to want to organize and form a union. Wages and working conditions were attrocious at the time. Carloads of hired goons pulled up and some folks carrying Thompson submachine guns got out and opened fire on the picketers. Yes, it was another massacre. Don't believe me? I don't blame you, but you can definitely verify for yourself that these two events actually happened (quick- do it before they completely rewrite history to make it more politically correct!)My point? Simply that there are parallels to the present struggles pitting Redmond, MPAA, RIAA, SCO etc. against states, counties, cities, and individuals. It was fully 50 years ago that President Eisenhower warned about the "military industrial complex" being the most powerful force endangering the nation and the world. It's still as true today as it was the day Ike addressed congress. In fact, moreso. Don't assume that just because 90 percent of the OS market is owned by one giant corporation, superheroes will step in at the last moment to restore balance and prevent them from consolidating their holdings at an even 100 percent. It is my sad observation that, more often than not, it's the good guys who end up getting buried at an early age.I can now see two possible scenarios to implement total OS domination- either dominate the manufacture of new hardware (chipsets) to the extent that competing OS's will no longer run on those increasingly proprietary platforms, or else totally capture the OS market either by acquisition or by destroying all remaining competitors under a massive blanket of lawsuits. Isn't that pretty much what we are seeing the beginnings of today? If Redmond purchases 'troublemaker' SCO, that strongly bolsters my suspicions. The only difference today is that individual troublemakers or small groups rarely are physically attacked, because there are so many other sneaky and creative ways to ruin folks by destroying them financially. Today, hits are reserved mostly for settling turf wars between rival gangs, to eliminate potential witnesses in criminal trials, or to consolidate power in 3rd world countries. Despite being adjudged a criminal enterprise, the folks in Redmond stared down the federal government in court and never blinked. They eventually had the feds for breakfast. Current events suggest that they may now plan to have IBM as a luncheon appetizer, and then Linux as the main course. If Linux shares were a publically traded stock, I should think they would be in freefall about now. Come on, guys, those of you who know Linux and the GPL software sector so well. Please reassure me that things are not as bad as they look. The lawyers' pompous claims of an "...ongoing commitment to respecting intellectual property (IP) and the IT community's healthy exchange of IP through licensing," ring hollow for me. I think I hear Darth Vader's heavy breathing just offstage.

This is a good rebuttal to SCO's lawsuit from the Open Source Initiative. It also provides some basic historical background to UNIX. What do we make of Microsoft licensing SCO's intellectual property? I don't know. Anything Microsoft does has a purpose. So, we wait with breathless abandon... :lol:

I don't know what it really means. I used to be a MS backer...but the more I see the less I like (not so much the software aspect, but their business model is becoming (is) scary. To me what they did helps make SCO claim legit. And provides SCO with a claim that other business respect thier IP claim ( and pay for it's use). I think It would be funny if IBM did buy SCO and had MS as a client...But then again,that isnt appealing either.(Merger?)

This is a good rebuttal to SCO's lawsuit from the Open Source Initiative. It also provides some basic historical background to UNIX. What do we make of Microsoft licensing SCO's intellectual property? I don't know. Anything Microsoft does has a purpose. So, we wait with breathless abandon...  :lol:
Thanks, Peachy...just love reading all this technical drama. :lol: A quote that really struck me was:
“When SCO acquired the UNIX assets from Novell in 1995, it acquired rights in and to all (1) underlying, original UNIX software code developed by AT&T Bell Laboratories.â€
and:
“Virtually none of these software developers and hobbyists had access to enterprise-scale equipment and testing facilities for Linux development.â€

Guest LilBambi

Cluttermagnet --I took the time to look up the items you cited and read many sad links about all of that. These were definitely dark times you speak of.The worst is that history often does repeat itself to the shock and horror of rational thinkers. :( Peachy --That's a great document. I am in the middle of reading it as I write this. I am sure there are many, many things that just don't make sense about all of this.---PollyannaI do not want to believe that history will repeat itself and that no one is big enough to step up and take care of this RealityThen I think ... wake up and smell the coffee!SadlyReality is staring me down!Hmmmm...It is so sad, all of it. I really love Windows (not the M$ business, but the OS), and more so since M$ has finally built an OS that is pretty darn stable. There are so many things you can do with it. There are many great programs and suites for it. Many freeware and pay products. Many pay ware are over priced but many are not too, you have to shop around ... But the DRM crap, plus the DMCA pushers (RIAA, MPAA, etc.) and M$'s greed will ruin everything.I also have loved the Linux OS as well for a very long time. The developers are just getting things coming together for the desktop, and it is awesome to see! There are things you can do with it that you can't do anywhere else. It is GPL and I love that about it. And it isn't governed by a 8,000 lb gorilla. (yeah, 8,000...not 800 lb)I do not think that the Giant Rat of Redmond has any right to use a greedy lowdown (patent acquiring) SCO* (I always hated that name) to steal it from us.LOL! I am on a rant here... I will shut up now.Rant Mode: OFF* Caldera -- have they NO pride!

Cluttermagnet
This is a good rebuttal to SCO's lawsuit from the Open Source Initiative. It also provides some basic historical background to UNIX. What do we make of Microsoft licensing SCO's intellectual property? I don't know. Anything Microsoft does has a purpose. So, we wait with breathless abandon...  :(
Thanks, Peachy- that's a really well-written document. It's going to take me a good while to digest all that. I feel better already! So if it turns out that the story line ends up being "The giant corporation that devoured the internet", it's probably going to take at least another decade for all that to happen. I guess that's enough time to learn Linux and get some good use out of it. I'm a slow study, being rather hard-headed. LOL!

Cluttermagnet
(snip)Hmmmm...It is so sad, all of it. I really love Windows (not the M$ business, but the OS), and more so since M$ has finally built an OS that is pretty darn stable. There are so many things you can do with it. There are many great programs and suites for it. Many freeware and pay products. Many pay ware are over priced but many are not too, you have to shop around ... But the DRM crap, plus the DMCA pushers (RIAA, MPAA, etc.) and M$'s greed will ruin everything.I also have loved the Linux OS as well for a very long time. The developers are just getting things coming together for the desktop, and it is awesome to see! There are things you can do with it that you can't do anywhere else.  It is GPL and I love that about it. And it isn't governed by a 8,000 lb gorilla. (yeah, 8,000...not 800 lb)(snip)
Hi, LilBambi-I skipped that whole wonderful DOS era and started out right in the middle of Win95. It has been a fun ride and I have learned a lot- and no matter how much I learn, I am floored by how much more there is to learn! I'm referring only to Windows when I say that. Adding in Linux nearly puts me in overload. It's a great thing uncle Bill did with windoze. It's sad that nothing is forever, and that there is a real prospect that commercial issues may well kill the goose that laid the golden egg. I have had a lot of fun with Windows, but it is obviously time that I start learning Linux. The future for Windows is looking real ugly these days. I just don't want to go there. Let's hope that if they ever try to make a run at Linux, the community stands up and fights like wildcats. There are some things important enough to fight for, and this may be one of them. Let's call it 'digital self-determination'. Nobody likes to be force-fed, and I think there are a goodly number of us who prefer to work out their own 'diets'.

Guest LilBambi

Hey Cluttermagnet --

(Cluttermagnet @ May 21 2003, 04:33 PM)There are some things important enough to fight for, and this may be one of them. Let's call it 'digital self-determination'. Nobody likes to be force-fed, and I think there are a goodly number of us who prefer to work out their own 'diets'.
I hear ya! Well, I don't know what I can do about it all, but I can tell you this.I started out in '86 with a non-standard CoCo II running Extended Color Basic and learned OS/9. And have loved every minute of learing throughout the years of DOS, Win 3.x, Win 9.x (NOT WinME, I hate that one!), and now Win XP; on the Linux side, Mandrake 7.0-8.5, RedHat 6.0-7.3, and now learning a little freeBSD as well.I do not need M$ and that's a fact. Sure it makes certain things easier (I run both Windows and Linux computers on KVM switch), but I don't need it, so if it comes down to it ... I can live without it.As far as Linux goes ... I will not go quietly into the night.(not if I can help it)

Jebus people...It's just business! Why does Genentech and Chiron employ more attorneys than scientists? Why? To enforce their respective world wide patents. There is income there.Why do companies like Sun support trade groups which are clearly anti-M$? It's just business! Sun sees M$ as a threat.SCO decides to sue everyone on the planet. M$ sells Services for UNIX 3.0. M$ decides to license UNIX from SCO. It's just business.Unfortunately, everyone on the planet who slightly distrusts M$ will start looking under every rock for dark and sinister reasons...Does everyone remember Intel getting busted for strong arming customers... don't your dare build machines with AMD CPUs or you may find your Intel product shipments delayed... It's just business...

Guest LilBambi

You are right. It is just business TO THEM!But we are talking about a massive number of dedicated developers (most of which GAVE their time over the years to build Linix)... people's blood, sweat and tears.If they have to do what BSD did and rewrite some code to make it free of UNIX, they will probably do it, just to get the SCO* UNIX burden off their back.* SCO acquired UNIX -- they didn't write it -- they are enforcing patents of other's work that they merely acquired for this VERY purpose. :(

* SCO acquired UNIX -- they didn't write it -- they are enforcing patents of other's work that they merely acquired for this VERY purpose.  :(
BINGO!!! Someone saw a way to make a buck, so they ran with it! It serves no real purpose other than trying to make an easier/quicker buck! Why do you think MS stuck their noses in it?? Shoot, nothing big invested, chance to make a lot of money, and a good shot of wiping out another chunk of competition. Where's the Monopoly protection agency when we need it?? While it is "just business" it's dirty business and very likely illegal (from MS standpoint)...

Cluttermagnet
Jebus people...It's just business! Why does Genentech and Chiron employ more attorneys than scientists? Why? To enforce their respective world wide patents. There is income there.Why do companies like Sun support trade groups which are clearly anti-M$? It's just business! Sun sees M$ as a threat.SCO decides to sue everyone on the planet. M$ sells Services for UNIX 3.0. M$ decides to license UNIX from SCO. It's just business.Unfortunately, everyone on the planet who slightly distrusts M$ will start looking under every rock for dark and sinister reasons...Does everyone remember Intel getting busted for strong arming customers... don't your dare build machines with AMD CPUs or you may find your Intel product shipments delayed... It's just business...
Yep, all true, it's just business. For some reason, I'm reminded of the drunk in the movie "Airplane". He keeps pestering the stewardess, empty tumbler in hand, saying over and over "...I think I've spilled my drink. I think I've spilled my drink..." The stew eventually gives him his 3rd (4th? 5th?) drink just to shut him up. I've gotta say, though, it is downright embarrassing reading through the OSI rebuttal to SCO. When someone unloads such a ration of hot air, you just have to ask yourself "What are these guys _really_ up to?" OSI has basically vaporized their claims- and I've only read a little past halfway in the document so far. LOL! Naw, they must be fishing for something else here. Try intimidation- a goodly number of those sued will just cave and try to buy them off for cents on the dollar just to get rid of them. So I guess SCO wants another drink? I hear that if you keep on enabling, the alcoholic will never face their alcoholism (or are we seeing vampirism here?) Maybe they are just trying to get a better price for their distillery. Meanwhile, we've got an 8,000 pound gorilla running around buying up every distillery it can get its hands on. And don't you just know that once it has become the first kid on the block to collect the complete set, the price of hard liquor is going to shoot up to 50 bucks a shot and beers will be 10 bucks a can. I don't know about you, but I find an intoxicated, 8,000 pound simian a wee bit threatening. Er- excuse me- I have to go now- the officer sez he is writing me up for driving a word processor while intoxicated... (hic!)

Why do you think MS stuck their noses in it?? Shoot, nothing big invested, chance to make a lot of money, and a good shot of wiping out another chunk of competition.
How exactly is that monopolistic? All they did was come to an agreement and agree to pay money to license the UNIX technology. Very similar to the agreement we all agree to when we install any Windows product. (EULA) We don't own it but are granted rights to use it.Are you upset that M$ has over $40 Billion in cash sitting around? M$ is in business to make money and return equity to all it's investors. That is what for-profit publicly traded companies do.