SCO annouces 'jihad'

Peachy

If you haven't heard already, earlier this year, SCO (Santa Cruz Operations) sued IBM for $1 billion claiming that IBM infringed on its UNIX patents when IBM tweaked its Unix codebase. SCO merged with Caldera Open Linux 3 years ago and has become increasingly proprietary over its intellectual property. Basically, it has taken the position that Linux may be illegal because a lot of its codebase is derived from its UNIX holdings. So, this here gives you the latest news from this battle front. B)

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bruno

• Cluttermagnet

• zox

• GolfProRM

Well this was fun....guess it is back to Windows.
That's it Stryder... Back to Windows... I need some more money! :)

it's all stinks like fish guts... today, SCO now pulled out of United Linux too and are threatening them too (SuSE and TurboLinux are part of United Linux).SuSE CEO was saying how SCO can't sue over unauthorized code use since all of them (SCO, SuSE and TurboLinux) were joint developers of it. SCO won't respond back to SuSE's press release.oh brother :) this is all about money, and maybe even to try to bring down Linux, and if it is the second part, then i'm sure Bill Gates is behind there somewhere

Yea, nothing to worry about on that one.... If you really want to be concerned, this story is alot more believable... Check it out............Just found this forum yesterday and it seems like a great place. Good job on the tips Bruno. I learned a couple handy things already.....Jon

Welcome jong357 !Saw your avatar over in the test pages, and I was sure you would end up here in the Linux department ! :DGlad you like it here, hope to see you often here ! :) Bruno

Hey, thanks..... Always on the lookout for another forum. I'm a regular on Computing.net's Linux forum, but it gets a little stale over there sometimes.... Hope I can contribute... I just may post a question from time to time as well B) Jon

JonYour questions/answers will be welcome !Also feel free to join in the fun we do have here with the all friends of this forum.B) Bruno

Does this mean I have to put a penguin in my avatar?  B)
Nobody is forcing you Peachy ! B) :DB) Tha Papa Penguin

I really wanted to use the Happy Penguin 1-9 .png's at the bottom of the frozen bubble directory, but I'm no longer on Mandrake..... B) Love making animated gif's...... Oh well.... I made the one where he cries but forgot to back him up when I moved to Red Hat..... Sigh....... I'm sure one of you wonderfull people here wouldn't mind sending me them in a tar/zip.......... B) Love the PLF pic..... I think I'll make a sticker out of him and plaster it on my front door....Jon

Tell me exactly where they are jong357, got so many frozen-bubble dir´s ! And I¨ll send them to you !B) Bruno

SonicDragon

i remember that when this whole argument came about, that SCO's charges/documents submitted were full of many factual errors. Does anyone know if they ever fixed those?

Suse respond and keep working while Mandrake and Redhat are not affected.

SuSE Linux plans to continue honoring its commitments to UnitedLinux, despite allegations by SCO Group--a fellow founding member of the alliance--that Linux contains unauthorized intellectual property.Meanwhile, Linux sellers MandrakeSoft and Red Hat--which are not members of the UnitedLinux group--said they had not been contacted about the allegations and did not see them affecting business.
http://news.com.com/2100-1016_3-1003571.ht...html?tag=fd_top :lol:

actually, in an interview with the CEO of SCO, he mentioned something to the effect "SuSE and Red Hat are not being sued, but that is not to say we wont pursue that at a later date". cant remember exact link. the CEO basically worded it as a warning to ALL linux distros, since Red Hat isnt part of UnitedLinux.i sill dont understand it at all. how can they sue for copyright if the entire Unix code was released thru Linux as Free Software? B)

Guest LilBambi

Peachy --Thanks for posting the article. Very interesting, angering and frustrating. But glad I had an opportunity to read it (and all the linking articles too :lol: )

Thanks LilBambi.This is an important issue for Linux because if the US courts side with SCO it will give them the leverage to start suing the pants off of the richest corporations. I doubt they will target home users because, they can't know who's running the stuff. I learned of this today. SCO has sent a letter to the world's top 1500 corporations explaining why they are litigating. Hubris? I hope they crash and burn in their own fire. Can you imagine the friends they will have after suing their own customers. The irony is too that they have already pulled Caldera Open Linux off the market otherwise they risk suing themselves! :lol:

Guest LilBambi

This is very upsetting!It makes no sense. This will not benefit SCO in the long run. They are cutting off their nose to spite their face!I do not think they will win. But if they do, it will be moot. Any software company that pulls what they have done will never be trusted by another corporate entity with their software needs, ever!But they are trying to take out Linux and IBM in one fell swoop .... virtually the entire Microsoft competition!Something smells suspicious about this!So, they are saying 'endusers' albeit corporate ones, for now, are at risk .... but who's to say they won't go after the home user if they prove their case with the corporations!?! I am not going to give Linux! Not on your life. :lol:

Edited by LilBambi

I am not going to give Linux! Not on your life.  :ph34r:
Right on ! Fran ! :)
Something smells suspicious about this!
Like I said: Fishy !B) Bruno

You know, the more I read and ponder about this, the more I think that SCO is in league with MS. :ph34r: I've not read that anywhere, just projecting my negative feelings on this matter - it will be tragic. B)

You know, the more I read and ponder about this, the more I think that SCO is in league with MS. :ph34r: I've not read that anywhere, just projecting my negative feelings on this matter - it will be tragic. :)
QUINT!!!!! B) Would you be implying that MS would knowingly participate in unethical business practices???? I'm flabbergasted!!!

Stryder you´re right . . . . . I don´t know what hit him ? I think all those disto´s he´s installing: after each succesfull install he opens a bottle of whiskey ( well that is custom here anyway ) He´s now at his fifth disto . . . so 5 bottles . . . . . :) Bruno