A few Q's and a Mistake

SonicDragon

SonicDragon

very nice! will most of those tips work with freebsd?Thank you for doing all those. We all appreciate it very much!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SonicDragon

• Bruno

• GolfProRM

SonicDragon

well the numbers matched on the first cd! Yahoo!i couldn't get the diskdrive open though, so i'm rebooting B) Well, now we know the disk is good. But... why won't it boot from the disk? I changed the BIOS boot settings, but it doesn't help. I know the computer does boot from the disk drive. It worked when i installed mandrake 8.2. Is there a way to force mandrake to reboot from the cd?I make floppies of kern.flp and mfsroot.flp with fdimage. kern works fine when inserted and it promts me to insert mfsroot. that works for a little while then it just seems to freeze and not go anywhere.

SonicDragon

I'm going to download mandrake and see if i can get it to start on that disk. That will at least tell me if its BSD or something with my computer.

SonicDragon

I downloaded Mandrake 9.1, did a md5 checksum, and it was fine, but it wouldn't boot up either.Is there a way to force the cd to bootup when your in mandrake, or is there an option in LILO that u can have a choise to boot form the cd? I noticed there was a floppy option in LILO, so maybe there is a cd one?Or a floppy disk that forces the cdrom drive to boot?TIA

Sonic:There is a floppy solution to this ! This text is from the ¨install.txt¨ of your first CD: 2. Make a boot floppy with Windows If your computer cannot boot from the CDROM, you must make a boot floppy under Windows as follows: * insert the CDROM, then open the icon "My Computer", right click on the CDROM drive icon and select "Open" * go into the "dosutils" directory and double-click on the "rawwritewin" icon * insert a blank floppy in the floppy drive * select "D:\images\cdrom.img" in the "Image File" field (assuming that your CDROM drive is "D:", otherwise replace "D:" as needed) * select "A:" in the "Floppy Drive" field then click on "Write". To begin the installation: * insert the CDROM in the drive, as well as the boot floppy, then * restart the computer.Hope this helps ! :lol: Bruno

Good luck Sonic !PS: Did you see the install tips in the ¨Tips for Linux Starters¨ page 8 ? ( placed them today ):lol: Bruno

SonicDragon

It works, but i only have one mandrake disk b/c it was just a test, so i need to download the other two b4 i can install.Is there a way to do that in FreeBSD? I found a .flp image that's named boot, and i assume it is a boot disk, but it is way to big to fit on a floppy.I wonder if that mandrake boot disk will make FreeBSD boot up?I'm going to try that now :lol:

I wonder if that mandrake boot disk will make FreeBSD boot up?
Don´t think so Sonic !But the ftp bootdisk for FreeBSD lets you do the install on-line, boot up from it and it makes contact to the ftp-server to get the packages ! Works that way in SuSE too !:lol: Bruno

That´s a bummer !Anyway you can install Mandrake 9.1 now ! Are there no other files on the FreeBSD CD that could help ?:lol: Bruno

SonicDragon

OOOOO! I found a rawrite.exe? Would that help?Its command line based. When i open it i get:'RaWrite - 1.3 - Write disk file to raw floppy disketteEnter source file name:'

Guest LilBambi

SonicDragon --You might want to go to this page to read up on this subject.Here is one quote from the page:

Write the Image Files to the Floppy DisksThe .flp files are not regular files you copy to the disk. Instead, they are images of the complete contents of the disk. This means that you cannot use commands like DOS' copy to write the files. Instead, you must use specific tools to write the images directly to the disk.If you are creating the floppies on a computer running DOS/Windows, then we provide a tool to do this called fdimage.If you are using the floppies from the CDROM, and your CDROM is the E: drive, then you would run this:E:\> tools\fdimage floppies\kern.flp A:Repeat this command for each .flp file, replacing the floppy disk each time, being sure to label the disks with the name of the file that you copied to them. Adjust the command line as necessary, depending on where you have placed the .flp files. If you do not have the CDROM, then fdimage can be downloaded from the tools directory on the FreeBSD FTP site.If you are writing the floppies on a Unix system (such as another FreeBSD system) you can use the dd(1) command to write the image files directly to disk. On FreeBSD, you would run:# dd if=kern.flp of=/dev/fd0On FreeBSD, /dev/fd0 refers to the first floppy disk (the A: drive). /dev/fd1 would be the B: drive, and so on. Other Unix variants might have different names for the floppy disk devices, and you will need to check the documentation for the system as necessary.You are now ready to start installing FreeBSD.

SonicDragon

Thanks LilBambi, but believe me, i have read that page over and over and over lol. I already have the kern and mfs root disks made. But they do not seem to work. The kern disk works fine and tells me to insert mfsroot, when i do, it works for a little bit, but then it freezes :lol: Nothing seems to happen, it just hangs.Thanks anyway :lol:

SonicDragon
PS: Did you see the install tips in the ¨Tips for Linux Starters¨ page 8 ? ( placed them today )
Yes, thanks! These will come in handy!Over the summer i will probably suck it up and do a dual boot on my main computer. Then i'll really start having some fun:)

Guest LilBambi

SonicDragon --Have you tried recreating msfroot disk yet? Could be an error on that floppy.The msfroot disk has to be perfect or it will puke. Even if it appeared to be perfect when created, it could have failed to read properly.Either way, to eliminate that possibility, you might want to recreate the msfroot disk.

SonicDragon

Will do :) I'm in the middle of a mandrake 9.1 installation right now so i can't test it, but i will make a new one.Maybe it will just be really nice to me and boot from the disk like it's supposed to when i have the new version of mandrake installed?Thnx

SonicDragon

Humm, interesting, it won't let me format the disk. It says another app might be using it, but i don't think that's the case. Maybe it was defective after all. I'm running out of disks! I've burned 7 disks (that includes the mandrake ones) and used like 5 floppies!

Guest LilBambi

Ah, yes ... the old elusive perfect floppy ... LOL!We ran out of 'perfect' floppies, need to buy more ourselves. We even had one that formatted and installed a floppy.img perfectly and then when we went to use it a day later to create another floppy image (different OS) we found that it wasn't perfect anymore! LOL!

SonicDragon

when i did fdimage this time to make the new mfsroot floppy, it gave me sort of the same error message i got when i tried to format the first mfsroot disk, saying that is was being used my another program.The second time i tried fdimage it worked :) If that disk doesn't work, maybe the mfsroot download was defective. Will try that too :)

SonicDragon

Well, madrake installed.....ok. The display... sort of... shakes and get lines through it...Anyway, tried with the new mfsroot disk. no luck ;) i'm taking the mfsroot file from the cd now and seeing if that will change anything. I posted on another forum and they said that 5.0 was defective and buggy and that i should go with 4.8. Have any of you heard this?Thx

Reboot see if it helps, if not Google for ¨ Linux ATI Mach 64 3D Rage¨ and look under groups !

Guest LilBambi
I posted on another forum and they said that 5.0 was defective and buggy and that i should go with 4.8. Have any of you heard this?
We are using 4.8. It works great. We have not moved to 5.0 so can't say for sure about that version.But if you can still get 4.8, I would say maybe you are better off with that.

SonicDragon

4.8 installer works!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Alright, now it's just a matter of installing! Daemon, Here i come!