A few Q's and a Mistake

SonicDragon

Guest LilBambi
4.8 installer works!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Alright, now it's just a matter of installing! Daemon, Here i come!
Excellent ... crossing fingers with you! ;)Way to go! :) :) :)

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SonicDragon

• Bruno

• GolfProRM

Guest LilBambi

SonicDragon --LOL! Been there, done that!Take a break. Come back with fresh eyes and take Bruno's advice.If you have ever played the games 7th Guest and/or 11th Hour ... you would really appreciate the words ... "I am going to have to start again!"LOL!

SonicDragon

When i get to the kernal configuation screen, there are no conflicts with drivers, but the directions say that i should remove any hardware from the list that i do not have. I thought i did a pretty good job at inventorying my hardware, but oviously not. I have no idea what any of the stuff in that menu is!So, since there are no conficts i save and exit, it probes the hardware, fills up 3/4 of the screen and then stops. Nothing seems to happen. The disk stops etc. I assume it's because i didn't remove the hardware that i don't have from the list, so i tried removing ramdom things about 10 times. No luck.I tried booting up into the new 9.1 installation. No luck. Now that won't boot!What a day!

I hope you made a bootdisk for mandrake ? !Boot from the disk, open a consolesupassword/sbin/liloWill write your lilo back to the MBRAnd you´re saved !:) Bruno

Guest ThunderRiver
I've decieded to install FreeBSD on my old computer and have been preparing for a while now. I have downloaded kern.flp and mfsroot.flp and made floppies out of them using fdimage. I'm downloading the third FreeBSD disk now.I've been reading through the FreeBSD Handbook/Manuel and it said i should inventory my hardware, IRQ, and IO. I have lost all my info on the computer and do not remeber what's in there at all, so all i'm going on is the info i'm getting the BIOS. I turned the computer on and got into the BIOS, but then the oven timer went off and i had to eat dinner. I came back and my screen was a rainbow of colors instead of the usual blue and grey of my BIOS. I restarted, but the colors were still there, even in Mandrake. What in the world did i do? I hope this isn't permanent!Is there a program for mandrake that will tell me what i have in my system and what the IRQ and the IO things are. BTW, i have absolutly no idea what IRQ or IO mean...i'm very new to *nix. PS, Bruno, don't take offence that i am getting rid of mandrake :D This is my test PC, very slow 200MHz, that i don't use that much. Besides, it was an old version of mandrake. It's not that i wasn't happy, i just like to try different/new things :)TIA
Technically, you don't have to supply IRQ info unless it is necessary. FreeBSD should be smart enough to place hardware in the right IRQ according (I am sure BSD has better IRQ assignment than Windows XP does!). Anyway, unless it asks you what to do, you should not have to worry too much about it.The installatino for OpenBSD is abit different from FreeBSD, so I can't really help you out much; however, I believe FreeBSD is technically for user friendly than OpenBSD installation is (though my experience tells me the other way around). So far up to this date, I have not been able to isntall FreeBSD yet because it freezes up during hardware detection, so the installation wizard never took place.ThunderRiver

SonicDragon
I have not been able to isntall FreeBSD yet because it freezes up during hardware detection
Same here. So OpenBSD maybe? LOL. ANOTHER SET OF ISO's TO DOWNLOAD! hehehe:)PS. Sorry i haven't been here for a while