XP SP2 Problems/Questions thread

-ct-

James M. Fisher

Here is the post to save time :w00t: :I have experienced a very annoying problem after installing SP2 which I hope someone can help me with. The problem is that device manager now fails to list three devices: my monitor, my video card and my network adapter. I noticed the problem almost immediately with reference to my network adapter because my tray icon disappeared. I thought that perhaps the radio button to display this icon had become unchecked so I decided to check this. When I did so I realized that I had no network connection listed. My View Network Connections was empty. On further investigation I discovered it was not listed in Device Manager and that was when I realized the other devices were missing as well. This is the case even if I have Device Manager show hidden devices. Although these various devices are not listed in Device Manager they are all working properly and if I go to the System Information tool they are all identified. Moreover, they all appear to be listed in the registry.Although my system is working okay, this is a problem because my Panda Firewall does not realize that there is network connection and will not work. I am therefore forced to use the Windows Firewall, which is not as good. Additionally, of course, I cannot make any changes to the properties of the devices.I initially tried to restore my system to its pre-SP2 state. This did not resolve the issue even though I did not have this problem before SP2. I then re-installed SP2 and again the problem remained. I found a number of KB articles on the Microsoft support site which prescribed fixes to this problem but which were all pre-SP2. I tried the fixes those articles proposed anyway but they did not help. I have been searching the web intermittently now for a couple of weeks trying to find a solution. I have discovered that there are other users that have experienced the exact same problem but there appear not to be that many of us. One of us has been working with Microsoft on a fix but so far without result.If anyone has any ideas on how to fix this, I would be glad to hear it.

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• James M. Fisher

• -ct-

• Jason

• Ed_P

• 2 weeks later...

i just built a new pc with sp2 slipstreamed into xp pro. running an amd athlon 64 3000+ cpu with 1 gig of pc3200 ddr.i started running into all kinds of problems with 'DEP'(data execution prevention) shutting down programs when i'd right click to do something in that program. i googled it and found the suggestion to install 'shellexview' and use this to disable some troublesome shell extensions (whatever they are). i did this, but it didn't help at all.my solution ended up being: go into the 'DEP' tab of system properties, select 'turn on DEP for all programs except those that i select', and put checkmarks in to disable it for these troublesome programs:mozilla thunderbird 1.0mozilla firefox 1.0microsoft management consolerun a DLL as an appwindows explorerthought i'd post this for your comments, and to help anyone else who goes to a 64 bit processor and runs into this problem.

Edited by tahoejeff

Hey guys, I'm also having this "lag" problem, it just solves when I unninstall SP2...did anyone get a final solution? I unninstalled and installed again all drivers, but it doesn't fix itthanks

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry hope this is betterHi James I have exactly the sames issues, my computer is a pavilion 522a WinXP home+Sp2 with inbuild network adaptor(realtek)and display adaptor(Intel), everything worked correctly before SP2.Upgraded direct from "microsoft full network version of SP2 as being a beta tester", as before everything is operating correctly, can connect to internet via cable modem, and display is working and can make alterration via Intel softwarein control panel.But cannot upgrade drivers for network or display adaptor, cannot monitor network as info missing from network connection ie no icon with info and Local area icon missing from taskbay.I have done the following to try and get both the display and network to appear in device manager, first using start/allprograms/accessories/System information you will find the two adaptors are showing up correctly with driver info.Now what I did was to manually install both adaptors using the add hardware in control panel, then manually detect hardware by choosing from list available "display and network adaptor" after letting the add harware to try and find drivers automatically, you then chose the latest drivers in computer and they will install.the two adaptors will now show up in device manager listing but with yellow background and ! under correct headings.This will allow for the very latest drivers to be downloaded and installed manually ie by using update drivers, but third party firewall product may not see network adaptor as it has yellow circle etc.if you then go to device manager and chose the two adaptors and open and chose details\device instance id for both adaptors you will see that the pci/vin is missing and the detail is root\000 which I believe is wrong,I am presuming that both should have a pci/vin number.I have looked in regedit\localmachine\ current control\service and found realtek had two enteries rtl8029 and rtl8029xp, rtl8029 had everthing and in the enum had the pci\vin info, but the rtl8029xp the enum sub folder does not contain pci/vin but root\000 etc (see above re details device instance id) which I think is wrong, I just wonder if the details mentioned above and what is in the regedit is where the problem may lay something to do with pci/vin not being found for some reason, if do remove everthing using add/remove in control panel then the entry rtl8029xp is the one that is removed.If you go into add/remove and remove the realtek and intel adaptors there is no way of reinstalling as neither are deteched, so the only way back is to system restore when both were working correctlly in system info but not showing in device manager.If you can find any further info or help it would be great.RegardsTony

Edited by milleras

James M. Fisher

Many thanks for fixing your post, Tony.So as I understand it, everything is working fine, it's just you get the yellow warning signs in Device Manager?

Rons The question you asked about is that one cannot update drivers if there is no entry in device manager, inf ulitlity is already installed, and the application acc I don't believe is needed in this model.Tony

Rons I have been able due to my workaround to install the lastest graphic drivers from HP, however with microsoft auto update they keep trying to install the latest controller which keeps failing????,The application you refer to as I understand it will install the original drivers etc, I did try the latest intel chipset and it states that the computer as the inf file???.I have come to the end of trying at the moment unless someone else has any new ideas.Tony

• 2 weeks later...

Finally installed SP2 on my XP Pro machine. All seems OK except it will not connect to my wife's Win 98 machine. The network is a simple peer to peer. No routers or DNS. It sees the machine but will not access it. Connection worked perfectly before SP2. Firewall is off (Use Sygate) Cards & cables all OK. Each machine has fixed IP address assigned (192.168.181.xxx)I'm sure there is a simple answer but I cannot find it. :'( Peter

• 4 weeks later...
recall movement

My apologies if this is an old thread, but has anyone else noticed dramatically decreased internet browsing speed after installing SP2?

check ip addresses on both machines, see if they still are on same network (192.168.181.xxx)if so, try turning off win xp's firewall, no need for it with those being the only two machines & no internet connection.

No slowdowns here. All XP Pro machines are running smoothly with no issues after installing SP2.I've done clean installs on older HP hardware and they are all running fine with no issues as well. Clients are just loving the switch from Win98 to XP Pro...

recall movement

That's crazy--I've spoken to a few others who're having the same problem--on SW and virus free machines, no less! I imagine I'll keep looking. Thanks much for the time...

No slowdowns here. All XP Pro machines are running smoothly with no issues after installing SP2.I've done clean installs on older HP hardware and they are all running fine with no issues as well. Clients are just loving the switch from Win98 to XP Pro...

Guest LilBambi

Actually, there have been some minor complaints about slowness particularly on slower machines after XP SP2 upgrade.However, less so on a computer where XP is the only OS -- meaning a fresh install as opposed to an upgrade to XP.I experienced some slowdown on my PIII and upgrade RAM to 256. Works great now. Even with ZA, AVast!, Spy Sweeper, scanner, Eraser, and the myriad of XP related loaded files on boot.But overall the added Security is worth the differences.In time we all get used to the inevitable.Google Search: WinXP+slowdown+after+SP2&btnG=Google+Search

giaschi reported a problem on approximately page 9 of this thread.  Has anyone else encountered this problem and if so, is there a solution?  If I run network diagnostics, the card shows up as do all of the network settings, but I can't view or change any of these settings in the 'normal' XP areas.

Hi everyone: I have exactly the same problem after an install of SP2 24 hours ago.Has anyone found a way of making the network cards (two in my case) get recognized by the device manager after an SP2 install.Both of my cards (1 for home network, 1 for wireless DSL) are working but NOT in DM or in "Network Connections' where they used to be. 'Add hardware' doesn't find them either. BTW P3/700,512K, XPHOME SP2.All help, suggestions, tips greatfully accepted.ThanksPaul

Physically remove them from your machine.Boot the machine let it run for a few minutes then shut it down.Reinstall the network cards one at a time. Let plug-n-play detect the new hardware. Add drivers as needed.If your cards are functioning properly, XP should detect them.

Physically remove them from your machine.Boot the machine let it run for a few minutes then shut it down.Reinstall the network cards one at a time. Let plug-n-play detect the new hardware. Add drivers as needed.If your cards are functioning properly, XP should detect them.

Thanks for your reply. I am reticent to remove the cards as suggested because, even though they are NOT showing up in DM or 'Network Connections' THEY ARE STILL WORKING. That means I still have internet /home network access, even without the cards being recognized. I am always wary of Windows and its strange behavior, that's why I took until 24 hours ago to update to SP2.My major concern would be that I remove the cards and lose all the connectivity that I currently have. Even though at the moment I have NO control over that connectivity.Plug n play isn't finding them through the 'Add New Hardware" and expanding the DM to 'Show all hidden devices" is NOT finding any Hardware changes...thus my concern that removing the still usable cards will leave me with nothing working.However, I am prepared to look at doing anything to resolve this issue, but perhaps this suggestion should be a little down the list...unless you believe this is the only way of fixing it and I won't lose connectivity...I appreciate your help and any other suggestions or comments. Paul

Sometimes you have to manually clean Windows up. Removing the cards is the only way unless you want to try the Upgrade in Place method.That is booting from your XP CD and choosing the 2nd Repair Option which will replace all of your current system files. It will replace them all but not touch your user setting or installed programs or data. That process will finish with part of Windows setup that examines your systems hardware during hardware discovery (plug-n play). If your hardware is "working" it will now be listed in Device Manager. Reapply all necessary Hot Fixes and SP2.Take control of your system... don't let it control you.

Edited by Marsden11

Another repair option:1. Start Windows-XP & shut down all running programs.2. Find the location of your source files (a folder called "I386" , May Be on Your Install CD or a folder on your HD) (make sure it has all the .cab files in it and the program file; WINNT32.exe )3. Run WINNT32 /unattend ,,, For example, D:\I386\winnt32 /unattend (type this command into the RUN box, then press ENTER) Your computer will do the rest. :thumbsup:

Edited by Rons

Sometimes you have to manually clean Windows up. Removing the cards is the only way unless you want to try the Upgrade in Place method.That is booting from your XP CD and choosing the 2nd Repair Option which will replace all of your current system files. It will replace them all but not touch your user setting or installed programs or data. That process will finish with part of Windows setup that examines your systems hardware during hardware discovery (plug-n play). If your hardware is "working" it will now be listed in Device Manager. Reapply all necessary Hot Fixes and SP2.Take control of your system... don't let it control you.

Hi there:The 'Saga' continues. I removed my Lan card (left my wireless modem card in) rebooted, let run, shutdown, added Lan card again, booted up and presto...STILL NO network adapters in DM and No LAN or High Speed Internet in 'View Connections' - however, my modem/nic is still working and after the reinstall of my Lan nic it too is up and running again. Both are showing up in AIDA32 as well as MS Network wizard (in help and Support). One point...during the remove replace process of the LAN Nic my ESCD (?) was updated on both occasions so my bios is picking up the changes in hardware.So, at least we know that removing the cards wont force it (my pc post SP2) to recognize the nics. I haven't yet tried your new or Rons' suggestions for a fix.The other option I have is to do a system restore and trash SP2 - what do you think? At least everything WAS working pre SP2 - the big question is "Will it all be the same as it was if I do a system restore?"I really apprecite your help and suggestions - essentailly I have two nics that are working the way they should be...but my pc won't recognize them and I have no control over them currently. Thanks SP2!!!And thanks again for your advice...Paul

Another repair option:1. Start Windows-XP & shut down all running programs.2. Find the location of your source files (a folder called "I386" , May Be on Your Install CD or a folder on your HD) (make sure it has all the .cab files in it and the program file; WINNT32.exe )3. Run WINNT32 /unattend ,,, For example, D:\I386\winnt32 /unattend (type this command into the RUN box, then press ENTER) Your computer will do the rest.Hi, thanks for your post. Would you be kind enough to look at my latest post regarding removing the NICS and replacing them, and then advise whether I should try your suggested fix...and would you mind telling me what running WINNT32.exe actually does?Thanks for your helpPaul

What is the brand of the NIC?Not running SP2 is not advised. I have SP2 on 7 machines and each machine has its respective NIC listed in DM.You experience is not normal running SP2. SP 2 does not remove NICs from DM. You have another issue going on in the background... probably a registry corruption of some sort.

What is the brand of the NIC?Not running SP2 is not advised. I have SP2 on 7 machines and each machine has its respective NIC listed in DM.You experience is not normal running SP2. SP 2 does not remove NICs from DM. You have another issue going on in the background... probably a registry corruption of some sort.

Thanks for your reply - All I can say is that everything was OK prior to the SP2 upgrade...whether it caused curruption of some sort in the registry is anyone's guess. As far as the NIC's here is a IPCONFIG ALL from an hour or two ago with all the info...If you have any other ideas, suggestions or fixes, pls let me know, Many Thanks PaulMicrosoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]© Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.C:\Documents and Settings\Paul>IPCONFIG /ALLWindows IP Configuration Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : paul Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . : Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : xxxISP NAME REMOVED.com.auEthernet adapter Unwired Broadband: Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : xxxISP NAME REMOVED.com.au Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8029(AS) PCI Ethernet Adapter Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-40-05-69-10-37 Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 220.101.100.226 Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0 Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 220.101.100.1 DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.11.1.11 DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 220.101.191.16 220.101.191.17 Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Monday, 21 February 2005 5:28:11 PM Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Monday, 21 February 2005 6:28:11 PMEthernet adapter Local Area Connection 2: Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : Description . . . . . . . . . . . : D-Link DFE-500TX PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter (Rev E) Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-80-C8-F7-38-EA Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.7.120 Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0 Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

Paul, Just a suggestion : Disconnect from AC : pull the plug. Remove both of those cards. Then reconnect to AC and restart the computer, and see that ESCD gets updated. If so, open Device Manager and check that there's NO network card listed.If any of those two are still listed there,right click on it and choose Properties and remove the drivers. In that case reboot after the driver removal and check again in Device Manager, otherwise go on with the following step (the most important part) :Power down, disconnect/unplug from AC : now just insert only the realtek card but NOT in the first or last PCI-slot because that one often is shared : so to avoid any problems with that choose some PCI-slot in the middle if possible. Then plug in the AC/connect and power up the computer : see that ESCD gets updated. If that part went OK, open up Device Manager and see if the realtek card gets listed : I have the same card in several machines here - one of them XP SP2 clean installed - and it is recognized on all of them and listed properly in Device Manager.If all went OK until now, repeat the proces for the other card and see what happens.

James M. Fisher

You didn't have any of XP's services disabled prior to SP2, did you? That has been known to cause missing entries in DM.

The other option I have is to do a system restore and trash SP2 - what do you think?
I think that is a horrible idea. :thumbsup: System Restore is not the way to remove SP2. SP2 can be UNINSTALLED so if you want to pursue that option that is the method to use.Start>control Panel>Add or Remove Programs>Windows XP Service Pack 2