• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• James M. Fisher

• -ct-

• Jason

• Ed_P

I've now installed SP2 on 3 XP Home PCs around the house. So far, no real issues. The wireless network initially disappeared but, as usual, I suspect Symantec for that one. At least there's now a wireless setup wizard. One visual change that I haven't seen noted here, is that the wireless system tray connection icon is just a single PC with a radiating wave: now that's exciting!But why would I want the auto-updates to install, by default, at 0300L; does MS expect the all the world to leave their PCs on every night? If you don't change the default, would that mean that the PC would never install updates?Thanks for the heads-up on all the potential problems and solutions, guys!Andy

In Control Panel - Automatic Updates icon - you can check the Help menu under FAQ's that explains the update sequence and how it functions. :w00t: Basically your system will be updated even if your system is off during the scheduled time frame.

Thanks, RonsCan somebody sort me out on one other annoyance? I have one specific site (work) that I've put in the Internet Trusted Zone. Now every time I try to open that page, I get a nag screen asking if it's ok. Surely the whole point of my putting it in the trusted zone was because it is ok. How do I permanently kill that nag screen?Andy

I haven't seen much in this topic about start up performance after installing SP2. I found one by balo on 9/27/04 6:49 pm. I tried balo's suggestion but it didn't change my startup time at all. I found another topic titled "So slow after SP2" but it had the same suggestion as balo's.I installed through the autoupdate feature.I have a Dell 8200, 2GHz, 256M.There are two points in time that are in question here that seem to be taking too long. One is the Welcome screen which lasts 30 seconds, and the other is right after the welcome screen - the wallpaper screen appears with no icons (no cursor/hourglass, no disk activity) it appears to be hung up but it isn't. After 60 seconds exactly the icons appear. It's like a 60 second timed delay waiting for input or something. Anyone else notice this? I've contacted support on this and got a couple things to try but they didn't help. I stumbled onto this forum today, registered, and thought I'd ask.Thanks,Chuck

James M. Fisher

Welcome to the SFNL forums! Is the HDD 'working' all the time during the delay?Can you tell us what you have already tried so as to avoid duplication? Thanks!

There are two points in time that are in question here that seem to be taking too long. One is the Welcome screen which lasts 30 seconds, and the other is right after the welcome screen - the wallpaper screen appears with no icons (no cursor/hourglass, no disk activity) it appears to be hung up but it isn't. After 60 seconds exactly the icons appear. It's like a 60 second timed delay waiting for input or something.
This is not a new problem. Do you have a DSL connection? If so, try turning off the modem until reboot is done. If you have a dial-up connection, try unplugging the line from the modem before booting. I've had this problem in the past and rebuilding WinXp solved the problem (for now). I expect it will return at some point in the future, sigh. Seems to be just one of those strange Windows things...

James M. Fisher

I'm helping someone in the DELL forum with the same thing you describe: PC slow when connected, disconnect the modem and the PC is fast again!

Re: Slow startup with SP2Here's what I've tried so far:A. MS Support suggested: 1. Start your Windows XP to the Desktop. 2. Press Ctrl+Alt+Del key to open the Task Manager. 3. Click File menu and click "New Tasks (run...)" 4. Type "CMD" (without quotation marks) in the box and click OK. 5. Type the following command into the prompt window: Reg add "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\RpcSs" /v ObjectName /t REG_SZ /d LocalSystem (Press Enter Key) 6. Restart your computer and test the issue again. B. MS Support suggested: 1. Click the "Start" and click "Run". 2. Type "msconfig" in the open box, and then press "Enter". 3. On the General tab, click Selective Startup, and then click to clear the "Process System.ini File", "Process Win.ini File" and "Load Startup Items" checkboxes. 4. On the "Services" tab, click to choose "Hide All Microsoft Services" and click to choose Disable All. 5. Click "OK" to reboot your computer. 6. When you see the message, choose "Don't show this message or launch the System Configuration Utility when Windows starts" and click OK.NOTE: Don't forget, after you test the above, go back to msconfig and restart as Normal since the above disables all your non-MS applications.C. balo on Sept 27th at 5:49 in this topic wrote: Under Control Panel/Performance and Maintenance/System/Advanced, Click the Settings button under "Startup and Recovery". Click the Edit button under "System Startup" to edit the boot.ini file in Notepad. Change /NoExecute=OptIn to /NoExecute=AlwaysOff Save the boot.ini file and "OK" your way out of there.D. ibe98765 wrote: This is not a new problem. Do you have a DSL connection? If so, try turning off the modem until reboot is done. If you have a dial-up connection, try unplugging the line from the modem before booting. and James M. Fisher wrote: I'm helping someone in the DELL forum with the same thing you describe: PC slow when connected, disconnect the modem and the PC is fast again!I have tried all the above and none have had an effect on the response. I have a cable modem but I tried with it off and pulling the USB cable off and there was no difference. In response to a previous question by James Fisher: no the HDD is not working during the wallpaper screen except approx 30 seconds into the delay there is a short 1 second burst of HDD activity then nothing during the next 30 seconds. Also, I was wrong about the cursor. There is a cursor during this time but no hourglass and moving the mouse does move the cursor but clicking its buttons do nothing.I think I've always had the 30 second Welcome screen but I've never had the 60 second wallpaper screen until installing SP2. If I uninstall SP2 everything works as it used to. Thanks for the replies everyone,Chuck

Re: slow startup SP2James,Thanks for the interest.I use Zonealarm for firewall, AV is Norton, however, it is moot because step B in my last reply eliminates, during re-boot, all that stuff and the system is booted with only MS system services stuff. No firewall, no AV, no nuttin. Oh, and I'm not doing any networking.

If shutting off the modem didn't work, you might try this: Create a NEW (don't use an existing one) UserID in Windows, logon to that and see if you have the same problem. I've read that this is a good general way to fix a userID but I've never tried it myself. I suspect that you will have to reinstall all of your applications. If so, do it one at a time and see if you can pinpoint when/where the problem occurs.In my case, I know I created the problem by messing around with network settings through X-Setup. So I have avoided that on this new build and things seem to be working well. If you are tweak happy, you might want to take a restore point whenever you make any changes to Windows settings.

Try unclicking "Require Server Verification".
James, just love the support......but that's not it.That said, so far, after 3 installs on 3 PCs over a few weeks, that is my only issue!Wish I had some help to offer the rest of you!Andy

James M. Fisher
James, just love the support......but that's not it.That said, so far, after 3 installs on 3 PCs over a few weeks, that is my only issue!Wish I had some help to offer the rest of you!Andy
You're welcome for the support, but it's only satisfying (to me) when the problem is solved!Does this 'nag screen' appear on all the SP2 PCs? Can you give me the URL to try? You can PM it to me if you prefer.

I could give you the URL - which isn't the problem page - but I can't give you the username/password - which is the problem! Yes, it's on all 3 PCs. I accept it may be a proprietary property of the IT department at work who build this site.James, if I have to click just one more time to disable the w**kers who wish to break the web, so be it: I can live with that. Spend your time fixing things that are really broken. I guess I could always just move it out of the trusted zone...Andy

It's not really rocket science but......I took it out the Trusted Zone and the problem went away.Then again, I guess this doesn't really address the purpose of the trusted zone under SP2: given that it's a positive choice to put URLs there, I'd hope for less nagging from XP not more.Real solutions: tbaAndy

Guest Paracelsus

Well...I finally took the plunge and installed SP2 this afternoon. (I did get the CD, but thought it would be more exciting to see how the download/install went :) ).Took all the advice given here, and created a Restore Point; closed all but the necessary processes; and disabled ZAP (but I have a router in place).The install actually took much longer than the download. Restarted, and then went back to Win Update for a few supplemental updates.So far... so good. :)EDIT (10/18/04) - The only quirk I've come across so far is that security settings in OE were reset to default (blocking image and file downloads)... But these were easily changed.

Hey Paracelsus !I did just the same thing this afternoon on my friend's laptop, which wasn't even updated to SP1 ! After installing 3 driver files for his network card at WinUpdate, and using the Service Pack Instalation Checklist , care of James Fisher's site (http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/spackins.htm), I installed straight from the SP2 CD I received, went back for 3 more post-SP2 patches, and all went very well. The last thing was a defrag. I'm confident he's well protected...If one takes the proper precautions, and settles any outstanding issues prior to installing this from the Network download or SP2 CD, one should have no problems at all.As you can see, it didn't hurt... :) And many thanks to James. Your many updated links are proving to be invaluable ! :)

James M. Fisher

To Phil and Frank: thanks for posting your 'good' experiences! :happyroll: That checklist (courtesy of fellow Canuck and MVP Jupiter Jones) is a good one to follow.I'm glad you found my SP2 page helpful as well. That's what it's there for!

Welcome to the SFNL forums! Is the HDD 'working' all the time during the delay?Can you tell us what you have already tried so as to avoid duplication? Thanks!
Well, I finally got tired of Dell's and Microsoft's thrashing around. The last suggestion I got from Dell was to just uninstall SP2. I asked for clarification, if they were really serious, and I haven't heard from them since. The last suggestion I got from Microsoft was to unplug everything, remove all cards and then replug everything until something broke to see if it was a hardware conflict. Personally, I think they do this to wear you down so you'll just go away and leave them alone. But, I see it worked, because that's exactly what I did. I got frustrated and decided to reinstall Windows and re-apply SP2 to see if that would help. It did, so now total startup is around 30-40 seconds. Of course one can't reinstall Windows without paying a penalty. So, now I have to rebuild desktop icons, reinstall programs and update drivers because the registry was rebuilt. What's with this stupid registry anyway?! (Response not required) I did backup address book and bookmarks at least. I tried to save my emails but for some reason they only restored back to August. I hate these things.So, I'm satisfied with performance now anyway. Thanks again for all your help.Chuck

James M. Fisher

I'm glad you got the problem fixed, but it sounded like a lot of work!Sometimes a re-install is the best (and the quickest) way to go in the long run.(I'll spare you the lecture on backups....) B)

hey can you guys please help me out i today installed SP2 and i have notebook compaq P3 1.2GHZ +384memory with Mobility radeon 16mb with win xp pro with all the updates in it and mcafee virusscan+firewall all works nice anyway install went nice and everything seems working but on network connections and local area connection i have adsl 512mb has this mark "!" and speed is shrinked.it says this after you click open local are connection:limited or no connectivity: you might not be able to access internet or some network resources. this problem occurred because the network did not assign a network address for the computer.can click repair it tries to find ip address again but no help.network connection details are have physical address.ip address and subnet mask but default gateway,dns server and wins server are empty.any ideas guys whats up? i have windows firewall disabled.thanks in advance ;)

Edited by vanderer

James M. Fisher

Just to be clear: can you connect at all to the Internet?Also:Confirm your network card is installed OK in Device manager. If it is, try creating a new connection.

I'm glad you got the problem fixed, but it sounded like a lot of work!Sometimes a re-install is the best (and the quickest) way to go in the long run.(I'll spare you the lecture on backups....)  :D
James,Thanks, but no, I don't need lecture on backups. I spent 32 years in DP database management and I know backups. I needed a backup of the register to save me a lot of work but. I didn't back it up because A. I don't know how to, and 2. There was a lot of junk in the old register that I thought may have been partially responsible for my problem. But after re-installing I got this email from Dell. If anyone else has a problem you might want to try this. It's too late for me:<Dear Charles , Thank you for contacting Dell eSupport and Services in regards to the issue you are having with your Dell Dimension desktop system.I understand that the system is running slow after installing sp2 .This is because system is yet tooptimize the boot loader.The optimization does not start untuil after the third boot.you can optimize the boot loader procedure by manually running the ProcessIdle TasksAPI at the run command.Rundll.exe advapi32.dll,processIdletasks>There you go. I hope this helps someone. I have not done this. I'm satisfied with 40 seconds.

James M. Fisher
I understand that the system is running slow after installing sp2 .This is because system is yet tooptimize the boot loader.The optimization does not start untuil after the third boot.you can optimize the boot loader procedure by manually running the ProcessIdle TasksAPI at the run command.Rundll.exe advapi32.dll,processIdletasks>
That's news to me.... :hmm:Anyone else?

vanderer Posted on Oct 24 2004, 10:53 AM it says this after you click open local are connection:limited or no connectivity: you might not be able to access internet or some network resources. this problem occurred because the network did not assign a network address for the computer.
Sometimes just cycling the power on and off the modem does the trick. Have you tried that ? :D