XP SP2 Problems/Questions thread

-ct-

James M. Fisher

Anything on Minolta's site? Is this onboard USB or a separate USB card?Are the latest drivers installed?

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• James M. Fisher

• -ct-

• Jason

• Ed_P

nlinecomputers
The camera hadn't been installed prior to installing SP2.
So how do you know it worked on a pre SP2 system? Uninstallling SP2 is a bit premature at this point.Do you have the latest drivers for your USB card or motherboard? Did the system log an event in the system logs when it froze?

Anyone else notice an increase in time before a usable desktop is present?  After installing SP2, I've noticed it takes considerably longer for process' to load as well as overall boot time.
I've read that others are having the same difficulty. The soloution seems to be MS's Bootvis. It has done wonders for my boot time.

James M. Fisher
Anyone else notice an increase in time before a usable desktop is present?  After installing SP2, I've noticed it takes considerably longer for process' to load as well as overall boot time.
I have not noticed this myself. What do you consider as "considerably longer"?EDIT: by the way, I just used Bootvis and my boot time went from 24.44 sec to 15.53! :url: Edited by James M. Fisher

i installed service pack 2 on winxp pro when it first came out. for the most part, it has been trouble free. i use mozilla as my default browser and email client. my wife insists on using internet explorer. the problem she encounters is when she finds a web page she wants to email to someone. she chooses file/send page by email, just like she always has. it opens the mozilla email app. after entering the send to address and hitting send, we get the error: 'unable to open the temporary file d:\temporary internet files\ etc... check your temporary directory setting.' it sounds like the page is being sent from my temporary internet files, but i'm thinking that the sp2 update has somehow protected this folder, so other apps can't access it. if i try to view the folder with my Powerdesk file manager program, it appears empty. but if i look at it with explorer, all the temp files are there. i've even tried using internet options to move the folder, resize the folder, and empty the folder, all to no effect. has anyone else encountered this? anyone know if sp2 adds some kind of protection to the temporary internet folder? this was never a problem before i did the update.

James M. Fisher

From what I understand, Mozilla and IE use different cache folders. That could be causing the problem.Why not just send the link instead of the entire page?

sure, i can have her just send the link. as far as the two browsers using different cache folders, that didn't cause a problem before doing the update. the full file location mentioned in the error msg does point to a 'content.ie5' folder within the temp folder. i don't see this folder, however i do see the index.html file with today's date/time in the root temp folder.

I have not noticed this myself. What do you consider as "considerably longer"?
I never actually timed boot up before the problem, but after SP2 boot took over 40 seconds. Its now down to just under 20. Seems to be as it was before SP2, so I'm happy. :D

I never actually timed boot up before the problem, but after SP2 boot took over 40 seconds. Its now down to just under 20. Seems to be as it was before SP2, so I'm happy. :D
actually, it DOES seem to take a few seconds longerand i have noticed other ppl say the same thingit's not anyone's imagination, it happensas well, when i got to open c:\ after opening my computer, it takes an extra 5 seconds longersame on any drive, there's a very noticable gap between the click and the display of the contents

Is this onboard USB or a separate USB card?
Onboard.
So how do you know it worked on a pre SP2 system?
I have two XP Pro systems, my main one still running SP1 and a new one running SP2. The Camera installed automatically on SP1 and has worked fine ever since. I haven't checked the events log to see whether anything was entered but shall do so when I'm back in front of the SP2 system.

James M. Fisher
I never actually timed boot up before the problem, but after SP2 boot took over 40 seconds. Its now down to just under 20. Seems to be as it was before SP2, so I'm happy. :thumbsup:
It may be due to defragmentaion post-SP2. Here is a screen cap I took just after SP2 installed and first reboot:Post%20SP2%20Frag.JPG...and Bootvis works great on SP2 as I posted earlier. :P

exsubdriversdod

Thanks to James's install notes I am now running SP2. Ran into two "problems". Problem #1 was minor in that MS constantly tells me via "update" that I have a new driver for my Viewsonic PF790. The first time I loaded this driver my monitor went "off the rails". Resolution and placement on the screen was awful and no amount of fiddling with the controls would correct the problem. No sweat, I just rolled back to the previous driver and everything was copacetic. (Attempted on two subsequent occasions, but with the same result). So I continue to ignore this message when I run "update". Low and behold, when SP2 was completed it had loaded the most recent driver and my monitor was gaflooeed once more. Having seen the problem previously I just rolled back the driver and all is well. Problem #2 still exists. The main reason I decided to upgrade to SP2 at this time was in the hopes that the problem would be fixed. No such luck. Several months ago when using the "Search" function from "Start" I would get the following "Information" window in the left frame: "Search Companion, Unexpected error. Action could not be completed". After many attempts to fix I finally gave up and started using JV16 PowerTools. Post-SP2 the problem still persists, so I assume that I have a corrupted something or other. Any clues would be appreciated..../rgds/ken

EDIT:I now have a more successful install following Nathan and James suggestions. The Thinkpad is stable and the networking and Zone Alarm are working.End EDIT:James:I posted some problems on the 20th, did you have any ideas or comments about my problems with SP2 on a newer Thinkpad? I have since restored my computer to its SP1 state by restoring a full disk image and things are back to "normal".

nlinecomputers

Littlebone:I anit James but here are my unrequested thoughts... :lol:I can't comment on your first problem. IBM needs to get newer drivers as they obviously have problems with the two patches. No way I know of to remove a patch from a service pack.As for the Zone Alarm issue. I wouldn't install a service pack with either AV or a firewall installed and running. I'd remove them and reinstall them after the SP is installed. Chances are it is a non issue if installed that way.

exsubdriversdod

Liz (aka Message Mogul):Thank you. The first url leads to a patch that is rejected by MS because it is for a previous version. The second pointer solved the problem. .../rgds/ken

It may be due to defragmentaion post-SP2. Here is a screen cap I took just after SP2 installed and first reboot:
First thing I did was a defrag :hmm: then a registry cleaning etc etc. Nothing made a difference except bootvis. Things are nice and snappy now :hmm:

James M. Fisher
James:I posted some problems on the 20th, did you have any ideas or comments about my problems with SP2 on a newer Thinkpad? I have since restored my computer to its SP1 state by restoring a full disk image and things are back to "normal".
I can echo both of Nathan's comments. It may take awhile before some manufacturer's get up to speed on SP2.

James M. Fisher
how do i slipstream sp2 when installing xp pro?i have a pile of pc's to re-install and wish sp2 to install as xp pro is installing.ideas??
My favourites:http://www.duspinnst.com/bootcd.htmand:http://www.infinisource.com/WindowsXP/wincp-sp1-bootcd.htmlThere are several Freeware tools to automate the process such as "Autostreamer". ;)

here's a new onecustomer has a 18mo old gateway system (3ghz, 512mb, xp home, 250gb wd drive, dvd/rw, dvd - beyouuuuuuuutiful 18"lcd... etc)i've recently done work on it to kill all the spyware, virii, et althe system runs za pro, avg pro, adaware se, spybot, hijackthis, and ad-shieldwas working GREAT when i last left it (better than new)got a call this am about the pc won't booti get there and sure enough, a black screenerror message about how it couldn't find \winnt\inf\biosinfo.infso i boot to ERD and lo!entire registry is missing, it saysthere's NOTHING under /winnt !!!!not aD***filecalled cust on phone and he says that he was told in a popup about having to reboot for xpsp2 update (automatic updates turned on), and then that happenedALL other files are present, documents, mp3s, vids, etc etcso, take the drive out, plug into my ext drive cage via firewire (xpprosp2 alll the goodies, etc), and wallah!it's all there!that one file though, \inf\biosinfo.inf isn'tdoing a chkdsk now, gonna do a defrag laterany ideas off hand abut why the system refuses to see files in that dir , while in his pc?i'll check back here when i get back from my 2nd job (much) later tonight

oh **** no norton isn't theremade sure of that the 1st time i touched the pcand, i did follow those steps, yet it cannot boot to any version of the OS, since that file/message comes upit also mentions "3rd party software" - well, that's D*** near *evvery application* on the computer but since i can't get it to load an OS, well there ya areand, as i said, ERD saw NO files, yet they're seen when plugged in to my pc

I installed SP2 From windows update and now it take my machine 5 to 6 mins to log in. I also can no longer see anything under Network Connections although I can connect to the my network and to the internet. I also am not able to remove SP2 from add remove programs. System Restore will also not come up. It gives an error that System Restore can no longer protect my system. Anyone have anything I can try.

Pretty spooky stuff. Wish I had a good idea for you and will keep a thought for your efforts. Please keep this thread updated on your progress and eventual solution.(SP2, eh? I'm hanging back on it a while and ordered the CD. Need to read all the fall out of installs before I inadvertantly kill my system.)

I'm not sure it has been posted yet, if so please disregard, SP2 is available to order for free on CD from MS:http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloa...us/default.mspxmoz976Is there anyway for someone to download the network install of SP2 so you can do a reinstall? I've read about this problem in several other forums regarding the update version. Just a thought. :P http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...&displaylang=en

James M. Fisher
no defragging needed here, so that doesn't explain the slow loading, fo rme anyway
Note though that the Windows XP Defrag will report this if there is <10% fragmentation (IIRC), so that message can be misleading somewhat.