A few questions before I jump

teacher

JuliaI just thought first that your ¨notebook¨ was a laptop, but then you said it was a paper ¨notebook¨. I only was surprised and wondered if you were sill using the oldfashon ¨pen and paper¨ like back in the days when ¨we¨ went to school ( you know long long time ago B) ) !Second thing about learning and school . . . . . there are these speedy and shallow learners who want to do things fast and with little effort . . . . . then there are those who really want to go to the bottom of things and learn to, not only know, but also understand ! Learning Linux means not only knowing how to perform certain tasks, but understanding why to do it that way.:blink: BrunoPS: Nice tan Julia !

• Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• teacher

• Bruno

• quint

• GolfProRM

Top Posters In This Topic

That's my problem. I want to understand it all and I want to absorb it all, not just the surface stuff. I just wish my brain would go as fast as my wants. I am one of those that learns by doing. AbeL's link lead to a great site that explained a lot to me. A lot of those pages went into my "notebook" as well.

AbeLNice link.  Thanks.  I printed that and saved it for my Linux binder.  Bruno has already given me a hard time about notebooks and paper. I am building a reference notebook from forum stuff to help in those times when I can't get to the forum.  I shall conquer Linux. :blink:
Julia:Glad you liked that site (not that I had anything to do with it). If you haven't already done so, explore the rest of it. He's got a good primer for Linux beginners.BTW - I think you and I are kindred spirits. I, too, would like to become an instantaneous Linux maven. But, I'm beginning to appreciate Bruno's sage advice - it doesn't work that way! :( B) Another source of beginner info I picked up at Barnes & Noble last week is a book in magazine format (can you picture that?). The title is: The Complete Linux Handbook. There's no author given; the ISBN is 1-85870-132-5, but for some reason there was a sticker pasted over it. The publisher is "future publishing" (they don't capitalize) in the UK; their web site is: www.futurenet.co.uk. I found it in the magazine section of the store. It came packaged with a CD of DemoLinux and was priced at $20.I find it also makes a handy place to file all the stuff I print-out - like Bruno's tips. My version of your notebook.We shall conquer this Penquin,Abe :)

In another month or two I should get near a bookstore to check that out. I did go through the whole site and printed most of it. I did not print the beginning steps for preparing to load Linux. :blink: Figured I had that one now! I did not think to look in the magazine section the last time at a B & N. Will have to go cruise their site to see what I can find.Thanks

Looks like I have some amazing hungry pupils here. :blink: Sounds good, with such spirit you will get far in Linux !Julia: CD 3:This is unexplored terrain for me, but worth a try, go to the MCC --> Software management. And click on :¨Software Sources Manager helps you define where software packages are downloaded from¨Then the ¨add¨ button, this is what it says in mine:URL: removable://mnt/cdrom/Mandrake/RPMS3 ( the full line with the word removable )Relative path to sysnthesis/hdlist: ../base/hdlist3.cz ( be carefull it starts with: dot dot slash )Then it will ask you for a CD, logic would be to insert CD3, but if I remember right the hdlist3.cz is on CD1, you´ll have to just try with what CD you are successfull, if it is the wrong one it will tell you it did not work ;)Anyway the ¨URL¨ and the ¨Relative path¨ are correct.Let us know if it worked !B) Bruno* Now is the time to prove yourself, and all those eager words about learning was not just hot air ! :)

Will try tonight. I think I tried all that but left off the two dots.

* Now is the time to prove yourself, and all those eager words about learning was not just hot air ! 
Didn't your mother tell you knowbody likes a smarty-pants? (Translation - know-it-all) B) Going to prove myself anyway! :blink:

Julia: CD 3:This is unexplored terrain for me, but worth a try, go to the MCC --> Software management. And click on :¨Software Sources Manager helps you define where software packages are downloaded from¨Then the ¨add¨ button, this is what it says in mine:URL:  removable://mnt/cdrom/Mandrake/RPMS3 ( the full line with the word removable )Relative path to sysnthesis/hdlist:  ../base/hdlist3.cz ( be carefull it starts with: dot dot slash )Then it will ask you for a CD, logic would be to insert CD3, but if I remember right the hdlist3.cz is on CD1, you´ll have to just try with what CD you are successfull, if it is the wrong one it will tell you it did not work ;)Anyway the ¨URL¨ and the ¨Relative path¨ are correct.Let us know if it worked !:( Bruno* Now is the time to prove yourself, and all those eager words about learning was not just hot air ! :(
Jackpot. Funny thing is I had it exactly correct. B) My only problem was I was putting CD3 into the drive instead of CD1. Now how did I make that mistake. :) Okay penguin - what was that about hot air??????_____________________________Triumpant - one small step :blink:

BRAVO !! You did that well, very well Julia !Now you can explore your system . . just post the questions that come up . . :)B) Bruno* always get my fingers burned with those remarks of mine, will be more carefull next time :D

• 3 weeks later...

What have you done to me? Here I sit just a few weeks later and I have not booted into W------ since I had to. Where have 90% of my posts in the last three weeks been? In which forum? What happened?

Your first install was on May 20 2003, remember that date, it changed your life ! It took be quiet a few weeks in the watercooler to get you over to All Things Linux though !After the first install you did do a few re-installs and had fun with Bossover Office . . . the FUN we had !! :D :DB) Bruno

Has it really been 44 days since I timidly tried Mandrake? Bruno, see what kind of an influence you are on me? I guess I am hooked. Funny, when the doc was quizzing me at the VA yesterday to figure out if I was normal, he did not ask about Linux...... :D

I think that´s because I heard that the army is wrestling now with Linux too . . . . you could go and give them a hand !:D Bruno

A few reinstalls? I am not even going to try and think how many. Let's just say I can do an install in my sleep now. What will happen when school starts and I have to go back to teaching W......... stuff? Will I develop a split personality? I am afraid to hear the answer. :D

Split personality ?? Shatterd into 199 bits you mean if you go on like this . . . ( there must be at least 199 distro´s ):D Bruno

If I go on like what???? Playing in Mandrake? Trying to figure out everything on the computer? Camping out in the Linux forum? Talking to penguins? To what, pray tell, do you refer? :D

The holidays are not over yet, we want to try all the distro´s ! ( Sla....... too ! ):D Bruno

On my old computer? Does that mean I should go start downloading? Tell me, tell me! <oops, don't act so eager - Quint will come running>

A few reinstalls?  I am not even going to try and think how many.  Let's just say I can do an install in my sleep now.  What will happen when school starts and I have to go back to teaching W......... stuff?  Will I develop a split personality?  I am afraid to hear the answer. :)
Hi Julia,Rebel!, go "underground", deceive...there are "styles, window decorations, and themes" for Win 2000 / XP, for the Linux KDE desktop environment. :D Noone has to know except you and your students. :) (But I am just joking, do not want to be thought lowly, by you or anyone else - honesty is always the best policy.) So just "honestly" tell the administrators that you are going to switch to Linux! :)

Yes sure on your old computer !! I thought you had left some space for Sla . . . . . ?Quint: post her the link will you ??:D Bruno

On my old computer?  Does that mean I should go start downloading?  Tell me, tell me!  <oops, don't act so eager - Quint will come running>
For your Slackware installation / experience, Julia, I would deliver the CD to your door. :D

I do believe I have just a gig or two or three or four or........Come on Quint, what's taking so long?

On my old computer?  Does that mean I should go start downloading?  Tell me, tell me!  <oops, don't act so eager - Quint will come running>
For your Slackware installation / experience, Julia, I would deliver the CD to your door. :lol:
I see your avatar. I know what you are up to! Take a look here: Web Beach Camera It is a little overcast for the beach (the neighbors just went down though).

I see your avatar.  I know what you are up to!  Take a look here: Web Beach Camera  It is a little overcast for the beach (the neighbors just went down though).
Thanks, for the link, Julia...is that a "private" beach, or could you sit in that chaise lounge? :lol:

That camera is down the beach about five miles at the public beach. My beach is a members and their guests only beach. We don't have cameras here. Now up the beach about 3 miles or so is the Duck Army Research Pier. They have views looking south towards us and in each direction as well as water temps, etc.Guess I might be able to do a slack install tonight. At 59.7 KB/s it will take a few hours.

Probably right at my doorstep! :( After all, he does have boating fever about now.
Yep. :( drag_boat.jpgLong way...down Ohio R. > into Mississippi R. > into Gulf of Mexico > around the "Keys" > up the Eastern Seaboard > dock at Jeanette Pier...Whew! :lol: